Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate hate hate hate arts and crafts. The mess gives me absolute anxiety and I just can’t.. but I got mini A some “paint your own zoo animals” from the works for Xmas and she loves it, let them dry and she can paint them over and over again. She does a lot of craft stuff at nursery but I don’t think she’s a huge fan of it either, she prefers to be outside playing defo! But I’ve had to really try and do it with her even tho I can’t stand the mess🤣

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have tips for engaging kids in arts and crafts? I’m the least creative/arty person in the entire world, but I don’t want my little boy to miss out because of this. We have a big easel that we use to practice his letters and numbers on and he’ll doodle on it for a few minutes but that’s all. If I put out pens and paper he’s just not interested. And I’ve no idea how to role model, like the whole “you start drawing something and your child will become interested too” cos a blank sheet of paper and pens is my worst nightmare lol. I’ve tried getting him colouring books of stuff he’s likes, Toy Story, dinosaurs etc, but he wasn’t much interested in that either. I’m not trying to force him but just give him a bit of exposure cos it’s not his fault I have zero art or creativity within me lol.
If they aren’t expressing an interest in the area then I wouldn’t be worrying too much. Offer opportunities to freely access materials (a variety of colouring tools like crayons, pencils, paint sticks) and a variety of materials to work on. Also things like watercolours, scissors etc, and stickers and paper.
What age is he?
I totally agree with @Borntorun not to be driven by the end product, just let him have access to materials and do as he pleases. And if he isn’t in to it, that’s ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
i don’t do arts and crafts with mine really 🫣 I know he does loads at nursery so i don’t bother lol. i can’t stand the mess! most i’ll push to is play doh and that tests me sometimes too 😂

Reactions: 4
Mine isn’t really interested in it. He loves painting but they do tons of that at nursery so we don’t really do it. We do colouring. I have a crafts set but he’s not arsed. 🙈
I shouted at him before bed and I feel soooo guilty. Like I could cry about it. I feel awful. He’s fine now and fast asleep & I made him giggle afterwards but I feel sooo guilty. 😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Mine isn’t really interested in it. He loves painting but they do tons of that at nursery so we don’t really do it. We do colouring. I have a crafts set but he’s not arsed. 🙈
I shouted at him before bed and I feel soooo guilty. Like I could cry about it. I feel awful. He’s fine now and fast asleep & I made him giggle afterwards but I feel sooo guilty. 😭😭
i colour with mine too i like that cos it’s not messy! i find when we colour though i get carried away and start colouring properly and dead good then get kind of offended when he scribbled all over it 🤣

don’t feel bad for shouting. it happens. he won’t remember it by the morning. He still loves you. they test us sometimes and it’s ok x

• Heart
i colour with mine too i like that cos it’s not messy! i find when we colour though i get carried away and start colouring properly and dead good then get kind of offended when he scribbled all over it 🤣

don’t feel bad for shouting. it happens. he won’t remember it by the morning. He still loves you. they test us sometimes and it’s ok x
Hahaha that is so funny. Mine doesn’t really like colouring properly. He’ll scribble on the page and then want to go onto the next. And so on until the end. And then start again. I think girls are defo into arts more than boys

I know I just feel terrible. I’m such a push over 🤣. He cried for like 2 seconds but I just feel so bad. 🙈. And also my partner neverrrr tells him off I have to be the bad guy 😪

Hahaha that is so funny. Mine doesn’t really like colouring properly. He’ll scribble on the page and then want to go onto the next. And so on until the end. And then start again. I think girls are defo into arts more than boys

I know I just feel terrible. I’m such a push over 🤣. He cried for like 2 seconds but I just feel so bad. 🙈. And also my partner neverrrr tells him off I have to be the bad guy 😪
Omg it’s the same with us, my partner is never the strict or telling off parent it’s always me. So i feel like i’m associated with as being the bad one! But someone’s gotta do it cos how will they learn! i just do as you said and try and make him laugh not along after to stop myself feeling bad 😂

Oh Jesus the end of my LOs Willy is red and underneath too. I got a different brand of nappies yesterday and wondering if that’s irritated it. He’s not bothered by it I don’t think but he has been grumpy. Last time he had something wrong down there we were in A&E for 4 hours 😭😭😭

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Thanks for asking hun!! He wasn’t sick all day yesterday then he woke up and threw up at about 12/1ish last night 😭😭 but he’s been fine all day, he’s ate a bit more today so i’m hoping he’s getting past the bad bit now!
What did the doctors say?

I just need to rant about my friend. I love her to bits but I feel like we’re really clashing lately. She’s out spoken and quite bolshy. She has two kids her oldest is a month younger than mine. They used a sperm donor. She’s made a few digs that mine is clingy cos I let him sleep in my bed. She said them going in their own room is part of growing up / gaining independence. And she also said if you put them to bed awake they’re less likely to be clingy during the night. She’s said before as well that I should get him out of my bed before he goes to school. Why does it matter where he sleeps as long as me him and my partner are ok with it. . I always feel inferior to her cos mine is quite clingy. Doesn’t sleep in his own room and isn’t a little genius like her daughter. I can’t really get this off my chest to anyone else. My other friend knows her and I feel she would take her side too just cos of her parenting style. I mentioned it to my fella and he said tell her to do 1 all kids are different 😂😂. I’m not sure why it bothers me so much. But mine actually sleeps really well most of the time. Just the other week he kept waking up but touch wood he’s slept well for the last two and she’s always moaning she’s hardly slept. Parenting is so hard sometimes. I don’t really know what the point of this was. I just wanted to get it written down somewhere 😂.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I just need to rant about my friend. I love her to bits but I feel like we’re really clashing lately. She’s out spoken and quite bolshy. She has two kids her oldest is a month younger than mine. I feel I should stress she didn’t birth the babies her girlfriend did. They used a sperm donor. She’s made a few digs that mine is clingy cos I let him sleep in my bed. She said them going in their own room is part of growing up / gaining independence. And she also said if you put them to bed awake they’re less likely to be clingy during the night. I always feel inferior to her cos mine is quite clingy. Doesn’t sleep in his own room and isn’t a little genius like her daughter. I can’t really get this off my chest to anyone else. My other friend knows her and I feel she would take her side too just cos of her parenting style. I mentioned it to my fella and he said tell her to do 1 all kids are different 😂😂. I’m not sure why it bothers me so much. But mine actually sleeps really well most of the time. Just the other week he kept waking up but touch wood he’s slept well for the last two and she’s always moaning she’s hardly slept. Parenting is so hard sometimes. I don’t really know what the point of this was. I just wanted to get it written down somewhere 😂.
Something i’ve noticed since I’ve been a Mum is people LOVE to show off about their child and the worst thing is it’s mates who do it the most. When i’m on here no one seems to have the ‘my kid is doing so much and yours isn’t’ attitude but people i’m friends with in real life are. I have a friend who has a daughter 5 months younger than mine, and since she was born she’d make comments ALL the time. My son didn’t go in his own room till he was 2 and hers went in her own room at 6 months and she’d mention it ALL the time, whenever i’d see her she say how well her daughter sleeps in her room and say ‘do you get good sleep with him in with you?’ Every single time! then we’d see her fella and he’d say how they’ve been up all night so obvs it weren’t as perfect as she was making out
She was the same with speech our son never babbled and it used to worry me he never ever said ‘dada’ or ‘mama’ and when we’d be out with them he’d be silent and their daughter would be babbling and my friend would go ‘isn’t it mad how ours is 5 months younger but doing SO much more’
Some people like to paint out everything is perfect!

Reactions: 7
I just need to rant about my friend. I love her to bits but I feel like we’re really clashing lately. She’s out spoken and quite bolshy. She has two kids her oldest is a month younger than mine. I feel I should stress she didn’t birth the babies her girlfriend did. They used a sperm donor. She’s made a few digs that mine is clingy cos I let him sleep in my bed. She said them going in their own room is part of growing up / gaining independence. And she also said if you put them to bed awake they’re less likely to be clingy during the night. She’s said before as well that I should get him out of my bed before he goes to school. Why does it matter where he sleeps as long as me him and my partner are ok with it. . I always feel inferior to her cos mine is quite clingy. Doesn’t sleep in his own room and isn’t a little genius like her daughter. I can’t really get this off my chest to anyone else. My other friend knows her and I feel she would take her side too just cos of her parenting style. I mentioned it to my fella and he said tell her to do 1 all kids are different 😂😂. I’m not sure why it bothers me so much. But mine actually sleeps really well most of the time. Just the other week he kept waking up but touch wood he’s slept well for the last two and she’s always moaning she’s hardly slept. Parenting is so hard sometimes. I don’t really know what the point of this was. I just wanted to get it written down somewhere 😂.
Don’t worry, loads of us cosleep. It’s about doing the right thing for your child. If her kid doesn’t need the kind of attachment yours does it just means they’re different- nothing else! Just try and laugh her off next time, at the end of the day you just do what’s right for your family, everyone is different.

Something i’ve noticed since I’ve been a Mum is people LOVE to show off about their child and the worst thing is it’s mates who do it the most. When i’m on here no one seems to have the ‘my kid is doing so much and yours isn’t’ attitude but people i’m friends with in real life are. I have a friend who has a daughter 5 months younger than mine, and since she was born she’d make comments ALL the time. My son didn’t go in his own room till he was 2 and hers went in her own room at 6 months and she’d mention it ALL the time, whenever i’d see her she say how well her daughter sleeps in her room and say ‘do you get good sleep with him in with you?’ Every single time! then we’d see her fella and he’d say how they’ve been up all night so obvs it weren’t as perfect as she was making out
She was the same with speech our son never babbled and it used to worry me he never ever said ‘dada’ or ‘mama’ and when we’d be out with them he’d be silent and their daughter would be babbling and my friend would go ‘isn’t it mad how ours is 5 months younger but doing SO much more’
Some people like to paint out everything is perfect!
Also girls are soo much different to boys as kids aren’t they. Girls always seem to do things quick and everyone is like aww boys are so lazy about everything 🤣. I don’t mind some of the things but when it’s constant just feel like saying it’s not a competition. All kids are different and do things in their own way. Like my friends was counting to 20 when she was 2! She’s super smart
---

Don’t worry, loads of us cosleep. It’s about doing the right thing for your child. If her kid doesn’t need the kind of attachment yours does it just means they’re different- nothing else! Just try and laugh her off next time, at the end of the day you just do what’s right for your family, everyone is different.
Does anyone else’s in here love attachment?? I’m not sure If it is cos he as additional needs or because it just the way he is. But he is very sensitive. Last week I went to the bathroom at my mums and he was crying downstairs and when I got back he sat on my knee and buried his head in my chest bless him.

And like @WeHadFunRight said loads of people co sleep. We do. we put him in his bed then he wakes up and gets in ours at 1ish, sometimes he stays in his bed til 5 and then gets in and goes back to sleep. every child is different and what works for you works for you and no one else should be bothered

My son is very loving. his nursery has even said to us he’s a very loving little boy and he gives everyone a big hug when their going 😂

• Heart
Also girls are soo much different to boys as kids aren’t they. Girls always seem to do things quick and everyone is like aww boys are so lazy about everything 🤣. I don’t mind some of the things but when it’s constant just feel like saying it’s not a competition. All kids are different and do things in their own way. Like my friends was counting to 20 when she was 2! She’s super smart
---

Does anyone else’s in here love attachment?? I’m not sure If it is cos he as additional needs or because it just the way he is. But he is very sensitive. Last week I went to the bathroom at my mums and he was crying downstairs and when I got back he sat on my knee and buried his head in my chest bless him.
My daughter is so clingy I tell her she’d still be in my tummy if she could be 😂 she would be cheek to cheek all day if she could. Often watches TV sitting on my shoulder. There is no such thing as personal space.

I don’t think it’s an additional needs thing for mine, I just think she absolutely wants that closeness so that’s what she seeks. If she’s not on my lap she’s on my husband’s.

• Heart
And like @WeHadFunRight said loads of people co sleep. We do. we put him in his bed then he wakes up and gets in ours at 1ish, sometimes he stays in his bed til 5 and then gets in and goes back to sleep. every child is different and what works for you works for you and no one else should be bothered

My son is very loving. his nursery has even said to us he’s a very loving little boy and he gives everyone a big hug when their going 😂
Ohhh that’s adorable. Mine will only hug certain people. He’s just wary I guess. I know I don’t know why I’m bothered by it and I don’t know why she is bothered by what I’m doing 😅. She’s my good friend but we definitely have different parenting styles
---

My daughter is so clingy I tell her she’d still be in my tummy if she could be 😂 she would be cheek to cheek all day if she could. Often watches TV sitting on my shoulder. There is no such thing as personal space.

I don’t think it’s an additional needs thing for mine, I just think she absolutely wants that closeness so that’s what she seeks. If she’s not on my lap she’s on my husband’s.
This is what mine is like. When I pick him up he puts his hand on my cheek and smiles at me. He often sits on my knee when we get in for a bit. He loves lying on me., and he does like to perch on my shoulder like a parrot 😅 ( sorry I didn’t mean I was wondering if he has additional needs for doing that. I mean he has additional needs so I’m wondering if that contributes to why or he’s just like that naturally. )

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Ohhh that’s adorable. Mine will only hug certain people. He’s just wary I guess. I know I don’t know why I’m bothered by it and I don’t know why she is bothered by what I’m doing 😅. She’s my good friend but we definitely have different parenting styles
Yeah that’s why i like coming on here for advice instead of like, going to my real life friends cos sometimes they can be judgey. Even just moaning about being awake through the night about a random bad nights sleep he’s had, my friend will just be like ‘well we slept perfectly and she’s in her own bed’ Some people make parenting a competition honestly

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.