Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I absolutely loved the new born stage šŸ„¹
me too! It was the best. I absolutely loved my maternity leave with my baby. To be fair I had a pretty chilled baby and husband was great and very hands on, heā€™d be up with all the night feeds and iā€™d get lie inā€™s.

having a good partner makes all the difference in your parenting journey I think.

Reactions: 5
Love my 2nd newborn haha, Iā€™ll take getting up a few times a night compared to toddler tantrums any day.

Reactions: 1
Is it a control thing with her? Mine is a little control freak and I always noticed that when I gave her things to be in control of or some options she was much easier to deal with. Like you can say ā€œyou can either get your shoes on or weā€™ll be late to play at the park and we wonā€™t get to go on the swings - itā€™s your choiceā€ itā€™s tiring and it can feel like youā€™re negotiating a ransom but youā€™ll get some distance out of it. Sometimes when she didnā€™t want to wear her coat before we left the house I would open the front door for her to see why I wanted her to wear it and she would always put it on once she saw/felt it was cold/raining! I also explain Iā€™m not doing things to be mean or unfair to her, itā€™s my job as her mummy to look after her and make sure sheā€™s dressed properly, we get places on time.

Re the hyperness at bedtime - I read recently that for some children itā€™s their way of regulating their nervous system before they go to sleep. We always thought it was our daughter trying to get some more play time in (whenever we say itā€™s bed time suddenly she acts like the living room is a soft play and starts throwing herself about), but apparently itā€™s a legitimate thing - so maybe make amends with it, unless itā€™s worth moving her bedtime back or forwards by half an hour? Thereā€™s something called the ā€œonset of sleepā€ which varies age to age. Also I donā€™t know if you have this already but I switched her nightlight to red light and itā€™s made a big difference.

also with the biting and scratching make it really clear that sheā€™s hurting you and that makes you sad. They understand so much more at this age than they can communicate - but theyā€™re little boundary pushers. I would explain that people donā€™t like to play with others who bite or Scratch them And see how she reacts?
I think it is definitely a control thing. I am trying really hard to offer her options, and I'm also trying really hard not to get angry at her and just breathe.
I've also seen the thing about regulation, I think that definitely applies to her and I think it's just how she gets herself ready for sleep. Just frustrating when I'm trying to put her pjs on!

It's nice to vent and have others who understand ā¤

• Heart
So sick of the power struggles between my three year old and her dad. Apparently Iā€™m not firm enough with her. But all he does is threaten to take her things away. We had a baby 10 days ago, now is not the time to be forcing her to eat ā€œone more biteā€ for a bit of jelly. Weā€™ve never done that! I think heā€™s finding it hard now heā€™s doing a lot more of the parenting but weā€™ve had so many conversations and time to practice setting boundaries. No point to this post just doing my head in šŸ˜«

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So sick of the power struggles between my three year old and her dad. Apparently Iā€™m not firm enough with her. But all he does is threaten to take her things away. We had a baby 10 days ago, now is not the time to be forcing her to eat ā€œone more biteā€ for a bit of jelly. Weā€™ve never done that! I think heā€™s finding it hard now heā€™s doing a lot more of the parenting but weā€™ve had so many conversations and time to practice setting boundaries. No point to this post just doing my head in šŸ˜«
My husband clashes most with our 4yo. He is a very calm, patient man, and hasnā€™t ever had many rough moments with the older two. But he and 4yo have a row at least once a day. Iā€™ve asked him over and over to try and do things differently and he just refuses.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Thatā€™s whatā€™s so frustrating isnā€™t it! Doing the same thing over and over. He either wins in the short term or makes her cry and backs down. Not great outcomes either way but he wonā€™t listen to me. Especially annoying when he takes his winning as an example of how great his parenting is šŸ„“

Got a poorly toddler today šŸ˜ž he had a cough over night and was coughing this morning, ate some weetabix for his breakfast and was completely fine and happy for like an hour and a half then all of a sudden coughed, heaved then threw up all of weetabix šŸ˜ž then heā€™s been sad ever since, just really quiet and feeling sorry for himself. not ate anything since just a couple of ritz crackers. heā€™s had an hour and a half nap and heā€™s woke up and threw up again just clear liquid. he cried bless him and has just been sat on the couch very quiet not even watching his tablet or the tele. Bless him! i hate it when heā€™s not well never know what to do šŸ˜ž

• Sad
  • Heart
Got a poorly toddler today šŸ˜ž he had a cough over night and was coughing this morning, ate some weetabix for his breakfast and was completely fine and happy for like an hour and a half then all of a sudden coughed, heaved then threw up all of weetabix šŸ˜ž then heā€™s been sad ever since, just really quiet and feeling sorry for himself. not ate anything since just a couple of ritz crackers. heā€™s had an hour and a half nap and heā€™s woke up and threw up again just clear liquid. he cried bless him and has just been sat on the couch very quiet not even watching his tablet or the tele. Bless him! i hate it when heā€™s not well never know what to do šŸ˜ž
Oh bless him. Every time mine has a cough heā€™s always sick in his bed during the night. And always cries. Itā€™s horrible. I feel like we barely slept last night. Heā€™s got a cough and snotty nose. I took him to my parents and he was ok but got really ratty. We went for a walk and then just come home now and heā€™s fine. Heā€™s just so moody when heā€™s not well. Takes jt out on me šŸ¤£. Also hasnā€™t eaten very much either. Hope yours is ok

• Sad
Oh bless him. Every time mine has a cough heā€™s always sick in his bed during the night. And always cries. Itā€™s horrible. I feel like we barely slept last night. Heā€™s got a cough and snotty nose. I took him to my parents and he was ok but got really ratty. We went for a walk and then just come home now and heā€™s fine. Heā€™s just so moody when heā€™s not well. Takes jt out on me šŸ¤£. Also hasnā€™t eaten very much either. Hope yours is ok
Aw bless i hope yours is ok too! Mine is always sick as well when heā€™s got a cough. i half expected it to be last night through the night when heā€™d be sick not this morning. Heā€™s just so quiet, heā€™s lying on the couch staring into space, his tablet is next to him and heā€™s not even bothering with it! Usually heā€™d be playing bloody Morphle non stop šŸ˜‚

• Sad
Aw bless i hope yours is ok too! Mine is always sick as well when heā€™s got a cough. i half expected it to be last night through the night when heā€™d be sick not this morning. Heā€™s just so quiet, heā€™s lying on the couch staring into space, his tablet is next to him and heā€™s not even bothering with it! Usually heā€™d be playing bloody Morphle non stop šŸ˜‚
Bless him Maybe heā€™s tired. Mines ok now weā€™ve come home. I tried putting a jumper on him at my mums and he kicked offff bad. Heā€™s smiling and happy now šŸ™ƒ

Bless him Maybe heā€™s tired. Mines ok now weā€™ve come home. I tried putting a jumper on him at my mums and he kicked offff bad. Heā€™s smiling and happy now šŸ™ƒ
donā€™t they cry over the silliest of things sometimes! mine cried yesterday cos the mcflurry i gave him was ā€˜too coldā€™ and told me to put it in the microwave šŸ˜‚

• Haha
donā€™t they cry over the silliest of things sometimes! mine cried yesterday cos the mcflurry i gave him was ā€˜too coldā€™ and told me to put it in the microwave šŸ˜‚
We got home and I put a different jumper on him and when he saw me coming with it he put his head straight in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
Oh man, got a sick kiddo again, for what feels like the millionth time this year.
She woke up yesterday with a stonking cold and cough, was supposed to be spending the night at nanny and grandad's last night and promptly threw up everywhere from coughing too much, literally 10 mins after we left her :cautious:
We've not had a full night sleep since Xmas, and I can't see it getting better any time soon šŸ˜­

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh man, got a sick kiddo again, for what feels like the millionth time this year.
She woke up yesterday with a stonking cold and cough, was supposed to be spending the night at nanny and grandad's last night and promptly threw up everywhere from coughing too much, literally 10 mins after we left her :cautious:
We've not had a full night sleep since Xmas, and I can't see it getting better any time soon šŸ˜­
I feel you!! šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­. Thereā€™s so many bloody bugs around lately. One after another. My fella said other day wow heā€™s nearly done a full term. He is always sick at least once a term šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
Hope things start picking up for you
I feel like Iā€™ve aged loads in the last year due to lack of sleep šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Weā€™ve also all got colds here šŸ˜© It had been a good 2/3 weeks without any illness which is shocking in the winter šŸ¤£

Another one with a coughing child here šŸ™ƒ we also had spew in the bed at 11pm, not sure I can ever eat spag bol again šŸ¤®šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Mine is at the top of the stairs crying and shouting cos I took action manā€™s boot off him that he put in his mouth and gagged on!!! How dare I

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.