Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine will no longer eat scrambled egg - that was what she spewed up back in November from coughing too much :LOL:
Might be completely unrelated as it's a weird texture and I know lots of kids can be funny about egg.. but that's what I blame it on

Reactions: 2
Howā€™s everyoneā€™s Monday been. Mine has been pleasant today!! But he did come home with an egg on his forehead after falling over at nursery šŸ˜­

• Heart
My toddler is still ill šŸ˜© he hasnā€™t ate anything proper since Sunday night which was a bowl of dry cheerios. heā€™s just had little bites of things here and there. he wasnā€™t sick all day yesterday then soon as bed time hit he was spewing all night. he woke up at 4, threw up, said he wanted cheerios and a cup of milk, didnā€™t touch either and then threw up at 7. fell asleep at half 7 and only just woke back up. heā€™s had two cups of milk and i keep offering him food but he goes ā€˜No iā€™m sickā€™ šŸ„² Iā€™ve rang the doctors and have an appointment at 3:15

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
My toddler is still ill šŸ˜© he hasnā€™t ate anything proper since Sunday night which was a bowl of dry cheerios. heā€™s just had little bites of things here and there. he wasnā€™t sick all day yesterday then soon as bed time hit he was spewing all night. he woke up at 4, threw up, said he wanted cheerios and a cup of milk, didnā€™t touch either and then threw up at 7. fell asleep at half 7 and only just woke back up. heā€™s had two cups of milk and i keep offering him food but he goes ā€˜No iā€™m sickā€™ šŸ„² Iā€™ve rang the doctors and have an appointment at 3:15
Sounds like he may have a stomach bug. My son had this a couple of weeks ago, and we kept him away from dairy and lots of water and dry toast. Dry Cheerios would also work
Can they do a phone call for the doctors? Just in case itā€™s a stomach bug? Iā€™d be wary of taking them out and passing it around

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Have you tried him with dioralyte? To replace the electrolytes lost when vomiting? Don't worry about solids too much or even milk it just feeds the bug, as long as he is taking fluid it will pass.

• Heart
Sounds like he may have a stomach bug. My son had this a couple of weeks ago, and we kept him away from dairy and lots of water and dry toast. Dry Cheerios would also work
Can they do a phone call for the doctors? Just in case itā€™s a stomach bug? Iā€™d be wary of taking them out and passing it around
Iā€™m thinking of ringing the doctors and asking to change it to a phone appointment because heā€™s just been sick again and our doctors is a bus ride away and i donā€™t feel i should take him out on the bus when heā€™s so poorly. he wonā€™t even get up off the sofa let alone go out!
---

Have you tried him with dioralyte? To replace the electrolytes lost when vomiting? Don't worry about solids too much or even milk it just feeds the bug, as long as he is taking fluid it will pass.
Yes when i rang in to work and said i couldnā€™t get childcare, my boss actually mentioned dioralyte. iā€™m waiting for my partner to get home and iā€™m gonna send him the chemist! Thank you x

• Heart
  • Sad
Iā€™m thinking of ringing the doctors and asking to change it to a phone appointment because heā€™s just been sick again and our doctors is a bus ride away and i donā€™t feel i should take him out on the bus when heā€™s so poorly. he wonā€™t even get up off the sofa let alone go out!
---

Yes when i rang in to work and said i couldnā€™t get childcare, my boss actually mentioned dioralyte. iā€™m waiting for my partner to get home and iā€™m gonna send him the chemist! Thank you x
Yeah definitely donā€™t take him on the bus. Avoid all dairy, and just plain bland foods - toast, crackers, nothing exciting. As long as heā€™s having sips of water you just need to wait for it to pass

Whenever he has sips of water he seems to be sick but whenever he has milk heā€™s ok šŸ˜­
Definitely keep him away from milk and keep giving him water. Try him with dry cheerios like someone mentioned above or dry toast if he'll take it? (MiniGlenCoco won't have dry toast)

• Heart
Does anyone know what to expect with speech therapy? I mentioned before the preschool has referred my 3yo (with permission)
They actually really made me so angry yesterday. They phoned to book a couple of weeks ago for Friday just gone. All she said was ā€˜can you make this Friday?) didnā€™t give me a time, no letter was received, I didnā€™t even know the location!! Anyway, when she rang to rebook yesterday, she was pissed. Erm, how am I supposed to turn up when Iā€™ve had nothing?? Didnā€™t even have a phone number to ring. She gave me 2 dates, but itā€™s my 6yo birthday and then his party and she was so huffy about it on the phone, I donā€™t even want to go. I explained I didnā€™t receive anything, so she said sheā€™d send the next letter first class, which has just arrived, which makes me think sheā€™s an absolute shite receptionist and didnā€™t get a letter sent last time šŸ˜”

Does anyone know what to expect with speech therapy? I mentioned before the preschool has referred my 3yo (with permission)
They actually really made me so angry yesterday. They phoned to book a couple of weeks ago for Friday just gone. All she said was ā€˜can you make this Friday?) didnā€™t give me a time, no letter was received, I didnā€™t even know the location!! Anyway, when she rang to rebook yesterday, she was pissed. Erm, how am I supposed to turn up when Iā€™ve had nothing?? Didnā€™t even have a phone number to ring. She gave me 2 dates, but itā€™s my 6yo birthday and then his party and she was so huffy about it on the phone, I donā€™t even want to go. I explained I didnā€™t receive anything, so she said sheā€™d send the next letter first class, which has just arrived, which makes me think sheā€™s an absolute shite receptionist and didnā€™t get a letter sent last time šŸ˜”
Iā€™ve always had awful trouble with them. They are crappy with me as well when I canā€™t make appointments like hello I work !! I canā€™t just come when they want. Also I was waiting for their report , we are meant to receive that then go in to discuss after we had the three (useless) sessions. Never heard anything and nursery chased it up for us and they had discharged us without us knowing !! No letter or anything. Said theyā€™d sent it out I never received it. Now we had to go back on the referral list and havenā€™t heard anything since November !!

Iā€™ve always had awful trouble with them. They are crappy with me as well when I canā€™t make appointments like hello I work !! I canā€™t just come when they want. Also I was waiting for their report , we are meant to receive that then go in to discuss after we had the three (useless) sessions. Never heard anything and nursery chased it up for us and they had discharged us without us knowing !! No letter or anything. Said theyā€™d sent it out I never received it. Now we had to go back on the referral list and havenā€™t heard anything since November !!
Well, this makes me look forward to it šŸ˜‚
The more he goes on, the more I believe he doesnā€™t actually need it. Iā€™m hoping that they will see him and discharge us. Theyā€™ve booked us in during half term. I have 3 other kids. What am I supposed to do with them?!

Reactions: 1
Well, this makes me look forward to it šŸ˜‚
The more he goes on, the more I believe he doesnā€™t actually need it. Iā€™m hoping that they will see him and discharge us. Theyā€™ve booked us in during half term. I have 3 other kids. What am I supposed to do with them?!
Oh my god can you change them. I had to change all ours. When we went she didnā€™t even do anything. Just say writing on her pad and never said anything to me hardly !!!
---

Iā€™ve had awful experiences with health visitor and salt. Iā€™ve had it with the lot on them. I know they are busy and thereā€™s a back log but this is ny childā€™s future. Thank god nursery is hands on

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have tips for engaging kids in arts and crafts? Iā€™m the least creative/arty person in the entire world, but I donā€™t want my little boy to miss out because of this. We have a big easel that we use to practice his letters and numbers on and heā€™ll doodle on it for a few minutes but thatā€™s all. If I put out pens and paper heā€™s just not interested. And Iā€™ve no idea how to role model, like the whole ā€œyou start drawing something and your child will become interested tooā€ cos a blank sheet of paper and pens is my worst nightmare lol. Iā€™ve tried getting him colouring books of stuff heā€™s likes, Toy Story, dinosaurs etc, but he wasnā€™t much interested in that either. Iā€™m not trying to force him but just give him a bit of exposure cos itā€™s not his fault I have zero art or creativity within me lol.

Does anyone have tips for engaging kids in arts and crafts? Iā€™m the least creative/arty person in the entire world, but I donā€™t want my little boy to miss out because of this. We have a big easel that we use to practice his letters and numbers on and heā€™ll doodle on it for a few minutes but thatā€™s all. If I put out pens and paper heā€™s just not interested. And Iā€™ve no idea how to role model, like the whole ā€œyou start drawing something and your child will become interested tooā€ cos a blank sheet of paper and pens is my worst nightmare lol. Iā€™ve tried getting him colouring books of stuff heā€™s likes, Toy Story, dinosaurs etc, but he wasnā€™t much interested in that either. Iā€™m not trying to force him but just give him a bit of exposure cos itā€™s not his fault I have zero art or creativity within me lol.
i started my little girl On waterpaint books which she loved and it wasnā€™t messy. You just fill up the pen with water. It was no mess and she loved it.

Or a doodle tablet!

tbh i wasnā€™t keen on the arts and drawing but i wanted to get her motor skills going and it all this helped.

I find open ended stuff works best for us. So give her paper, a load of random craft bits (pom poms, pipe cleaners, stickers) and some glue and sheā€™s away. I find anything thatā€™s supposed to have an end product like you see on Pinterest to be a bit stressful - it works better if you just lay out the stuff and let her freestyle

God my other half is pissin me off lately. Do I have to do everything. Why do we always think one step ahead and they are like three behind!! I was cleaning up downstairs and he bathed little one and heā€™s like can you get me a nappy. Iā€™m in the middle of steam mopping the kitchen. I was like you should have taken it up before he got in the bathšŸ¤£. Just little things like that. Why do I always Have to do everythingggggg 24/7
I canā€™t remember the last time he brushed little ones teeth or packed his bag for pre school or something like that

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think you've just got to go for it really, and let go of any ideas about what your artistic ability should be and just try to relax and have fun together.

I do love colouring books and water painting for easy entertainment but drawing on blank paper is just the best for creativity and can help not get into a perfectionist mentality.

So to help you get started I would get out some crayons and paper and start drawing yourself. You don't have to invite him to join you, and what you draw can look a total mess, no one else is going to be seeing it. I think a really easy thing to do is to draw something you've seen that day on a walk etc, or something from a book/story. So you could draw a car or a postbox or a tree or your house, and if he seems interested you can tell him you're drawing the things you saw on your walk and ask if he'd like to join you.

You are right in that you probably do need to lead by example, and have fun with it together, otherwise he's never going to want to do it on his own.
We have fun drawing our dreams sometimes, or doing a shared drawing where we take turns adding elements that get more and more ridiculous.

I am not good at drawing but you really don't have to be to have fun with your kids doing it šŸ˜Š

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.