Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I ask what car seat everyone is using? I’ve got a 360 and my 3 year old has hit the max height already (104cm) I need to find a high backed booster seat, ideally I-size and side impact protection and something a Houdini can’t get out of, but there’s a billion different ones out there and I don’t know where to start!
The first question would be, are they high back booster ready? At 3 children tend not to be, and I'd always recommend an extended rear facing car seat that can easily last till age 7 that is Swedish plus tested and the best carsets on the market.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Can I ask what car seat everyone is using? I’ve got a 360 and my 3 year old has hit the max height already (104cm) I need to find a high backed booster seat, ideally I-size and side impact protection and something a Houdini can’t get out of, but there’s a billion different ones out there and I don’t know where to start!
We have this for my nearly 5 year old and 10 year old. It breaks down into a booster seat ☺

Attachments

Reactions: 2
The first question would be, are they high back booster ready? At 3 children tend not to be, and I'd always recommend an extended rear facing car seat that can easily last till age 7 that is Swedish plus tested and the best carsets on the market.
I was wholeheartedly pro-ERF but my autistic child is not, in the 360 if I have her facing the rear the seatbelt is quickly unclipped and she climbs to the front cabin to join me, I’ve had to emergency stop on multiple occasions, and clip covers haven’t helped. I’m resigned to having a front facing seat, a little grumbly about it but considering the circumstances it’s the safer option, but the choices remain overwhelming

Reactions: 4
Why do we have kids. Why do we do it to ourselves. When you’re pregnant no one warns you about the school drop off

we were having a lovely morning. I got him dressed shoes and socks on fine. Wouldn’t let me get his coat on. Turned into a demon. Was kicking and crying. Shouting. Wouldn’t get in the car. Eventually strapped him in. Got to nursery. Wouldn’t go in the door.Had to grab him twice after he tried legging it. Got him in coat Off. He’s fine !!!
How people go through this Multiple times is beyond me 😭🤣.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
my one year old has a cold at the moment and won't go to sleep in her cot. every time i put her down she screams so we've spent 3 nights on the sofa and I'm starting to lose the will to live...currently at my desk nearly falling asleep😂 someone help me

• Heart
You know what sucks. When you don’t like the version of yourself you were today. I was a shouty short tempered tired mum 😢 toddlers who don’t understand that if they just shut the duck up until I get the baby get to sleep they’ll finally get some undivided attention. Repeat that scenario x4 today. Tomorrow will be better ☹

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
We're having an awful time of it lately, with everything - sleep has gone to pot, she's wild and hyper at bedtime, bites and scratches me during the day if I do something she doesn't like ie, turn the tv off, make her get dressed etc. I've shouted at her a lot, and I'm not proud of it. Then I spend the evening in floods of tears feeling guilty. God, 3 is an AWFUL age.

• Heart
You know what sucks. When you don’t like the version of yourself you were today. I was a shouty short tempered tired mum 😢 toddlers who don’t understand that if they just shut the duck up until I get the baby get to sleep they’ll finally get some undivided attention. Repeat that scenario x4 today. Tomorrow will be better ☹
Oh mama I feel you, the rage I get when the 3yo won't let me settle the baby is ridiculous, like you say if they'd just let you do it they could have some lovely one on one time!
It's bloody hard work, you're doing the best you can, don't be too hard on yourself. Like you say, tomorrow is a new day.

We're having an awful time of it lately, with everything - sleep has gone to pot, she's wild and hyper at bedtime, bites and scratches me during the day if I do something she doesn't like ie, turn the tv off, make her get dressed etc. I've shouted at her a lot, and I'm not proud of it. Then I spend the evening in floods of tears feeling guilty. God, 3 is an AWFUL age.
I've said it several times before, I've found 3 to be a total horror, it's like psychological warfare every single day. Sending love and solidarity 💕

• Heart
Is it a control thing with her? Mine is a little control freak and I always noticed that when I gave her things to be in control of or some options she was much easier to deal with. Like you can say “you can either get your shoes on or we’ll be late to play at the park and we won’t get to go on the swings - it’s your choice” it’s tiring and it can feel like you’re negotiating a ransom but you’ll get some distance out of it. Sometimes when she didn’t want to wear her coat before we left the house I would open the front door for her to see why I wanted her to wear it and she would always put it on once she saw/felt it was cold/raining! I also explain I’m not doing things to be mean or unfair to her, it’s my job as her mummy to look after her and make sure she’s dressed properly, we get places on time.

Re the hyperness at bedtime - I read recently that for some children it’s their way of regulating their nervous system before they go to sleep. We always thought it was our daughter trying to get some more play time in (whenever we say it’s bed time suddenly she acts like the living room is a soft play and starts throwing herself about), but apparently it’s a legitimate thing - so maybe make amends with it, unless it’s worth moving her bedtime back or forwards by half an hour? There’s something called the “onset of sleep” which varies age to age. Also I don’t know if you have this already but I switched her nightlight to red light and it’s made a big difference.

also with the biting and scratching make it really clear that she’s hurting you and that makes you sad. They understand so much more at this age than they can communicate - but they’re little boundary pushers. I would explain that people don’t like to play with others who bite or Scratch them And see how she reacts?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
everyone goes on about terrible 2’s but NO ONE mentions threenager years!!

3 without a doubt was the hardest age for me, i spent many evenings crying for thr exact same reason.

I found once she went to preschool (part time) it really helped, and happy to report 4 has been SOO much easier! ( there are still tough days because they have such attitudes at this age and answer back 🙃 but actually have more understanding if you ask something of them )

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ah, I’m the odd one out. Even though he is frustrating me with the constant ‘mum, mum, look at me mum’ he is the most loveliest 3 yo I have ever come across. He is adored by all the ladies at his preschool. He has been a fairly easy going child though. The 1 year old is a completely different story, and I KNOW he will be a handful at 3 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
everyone goes on about terrible 2’s but NO ONE mentions threenager years!!

3 without a doubt was the hardest age for me, i spent many evenings crying for thr exact same reason.

I found once she went to preschool (part time) it really helped, and happy to report 4 has been SOO much easier! ( there are still tough days because they have such attitudes at this age and answer back 🙃 but actually have more understanding if you ask something of them )
Guys your killing me, I just made a post about my unruly 2 year old and you’re all like just wait till you have a three year old 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Guys your killing me, I just made a post about my unruly 2 year old and you’re all like just wait till you have a three year old 😂
🤣 sorryyy.. its not all doom and gloom. There were lots of wonderful times as well and their personalities really start coming out and they are so funny and things become easier, eg don’t need to pack the house to go shops! My experience was probably a bit down to being pregnant with my 2nd at the time 🥴

i hope yout experience is like @Megatron1298 and you have a lovely 3 year old 😀

---

Sorry tagged the wrong person lol, I meant hope your 3 year old experience is like @Jellybean093

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I’ve got to say I find 2.5-3 years a lot easier, I can communicate with her really well and she can tell me how she is feeling. I hated the newborn stage. It’ll be easier when she can get herself dressed even though it’ll be slowwwwww😂

I’ve got to say I find 2.5-3 years a lot easier, I can communicate with her really well and she can tell me how she is feeling. I hated the newborn stage. It’ll be easier when she can get herself dressed even though it’ll be slowwwwww😂
I absolutely loved the new born stage 🥹

Reactions: 3
Solidarity, 3 was bloody awful for us too. So far 4 is slightly better but I still find myself muttering "bleeping fours" to myself sometimes. You are a good mum and please don't feel guilty.

• Heart
Solidarity, 3 was bloody awful for us too. So far 4 is slightly better but I still find myself muttering "bleeping fours" to myself sometimes. You are a good mum and please don't feel guilty.
I'm struggling with the attitude that comes from my 4 year old! It's what I imagine dealing with a teenager is like 😫

haven’t read all the replies but ohhh man I feel this in my soul. Some days everything just goes pear shaped and we don’t do the best job. But oh my goodness - we are only human. We cannot be perfect every day, even for our kids. No matter how much we want to be amazing every day, we just can’t. Exhaustion, hormones, feeling touched out, so many things we have to battle against daily to give our best, it’s no wonder that sometimes we don’t manage it. Tomorrow will be better xx

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.