Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was just thinking the other day how limitless patience would make me a better mum. It would help everything so much!

Reactions: 4
Oh I am just awful, itā€™s one of my worst qualities. I lose my patience so quickly, and my temper too. I hate it about myself and really do try to work on it.
I freaked the whole family out the other day because all the kids were in a mood, it was Monday afternoon which is a big homework day for the older kids, and it always ends up as chaos and Iā€™m shouting. So on Monday I was super calm, and did lots of breathing šŸ¤£ the kids were like ā€œwhy are you talking in that weird voice?ā€
ā€œThis is me calm and keeping my patienceā€
ā€œItā€™s creepyā€

šŸ¤£
I am the worst. I have such an awful temper šŸ™ƒ my daughter Iā€™m sure is used to me shouting šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2
Thank you for the advice everyone. Itā€™s good to know all these things are things others have gone through.

One thing I find hardest is every time we go through a new stage, with our eldest especially or with the babyā€™s constant crying, I honestly think Iā€™ve made a massive mistake and maybe parenthood isnā€™t for me. I know, as with everything, itā€™s just a season but it just seems so hard and never ending and lonely

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Thank you for the advice everyone. Itā€™s good to know all these things are things others have gone through.

One thing I find hardest is every time we go through a new stage, with our eldest especially or with the babyā€™s constant crying, I honestly think Iā€™ve made a massive mistake and maybe parenthood isnā€™t for me. I know, as with everything, itā€™s just a season but it just seems so hard and never ending and lonely
I think this too, sometimes. That maybe I shouldnā€™t have had so many kids because then how can I be a good mum, and you know when you have some kids out of the house it seems so much easier dealing With the smaller number? Then I think I should have just had that number of kids. Then I feel awful because if I did obviously the others wouldnā€™t be here and it seems like Iā€™m saying I donā€™t want them.
All this in my head. To myself šŸ™„

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Iā€™m due my second baby in January and shitting it. Struggling to bond with him as I have my hands full atm and worried how Iā€™ll cope with two. Doesnā€™t help my daughter really does not want to have a new baby around. Some days I think why did I do it which makes me feel terrible. So youā€™re not alone with how you feel ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 4

its like we are the same person?!!!!!

so just to get it out there and I have NO shame in admitting this. I never wanted kids, I was such a selfish person in my 20s and rightly so. It was all about me and going travelling, partying etc and then I got into a relationship and mini A happened and was there any way I was getting rid of ā€œitā€ .. NO. I didnā€™t want a child but at the same time I knew it would be good for me. Prior to mini A being born Iā€™d never even held a newborn, hardly played with kids etc and I feel like you - it was a HUGE shock and change.

I hated the newborn stage, I hated being up every hour, I hated the teething, sleep regressions, I hated how demanding a new born/baby is.. I like motherhood hell of a lot more now and I feel like itā€™s rewarding now sheā€™s nearly 3. She can talk to me, we can play properly together, she can do stuff for herself, itā€™s not as worrying! Donā€™t get me wrong I swoon over newborns now but I donā€™t envy them one bit. One and done for me. Iā€™m enquiring about being sterilised as I do NOT ever ever ever ever want another child.

please donā€™t think parenthood isnā€™t for you - some people are (imo) are born to be a mum, and just have it naturally and some people (Iā€™d say like you and I), have to really work at being parents and it doesnā€™t come as naturally to us. Sending hugs, I find some days when all Iā€™ve done is shout and get pissed off at her I think Iā€™m not cut out for motherhood either.. but then weā€™ve just had an amazing week away and Iā€™ve heard is ā€œmummy I love youā€ with endless kisses and cuddles and then suddenly I remember I must be doing something right.

a final note- ā€œhow lucky are we to be someoneā€™s everythingā€œ šŸ’–šŸ’–šŸ’–šŸ‘©ā€šŸ‘§

• Heart
Reactions: 6
its like we are the same person?!!!!!

so just to get it out there and I have NO shame in admitting this. I never wanted kids, I was such a selfish person in my 20s and rightly so. It was all about me and going travelling, partying etc and then I got into a relationship and mini A happened and was there any way I was getting rid of ā€œitā€ .. NO. I didnā€™t want a child but at the same time I knew it would be good for me. Prior to mini A being born Iā€™d never even held a newborn, hardly played with kids etc and I feel like you - it was a HUGE shock and change.

I hated the newborn stage, I hated being up every hour, I hated the teething, sleep regressions, I hated how demanding a new born/baby is.. I like motherhood hell of a lot more now and I feel like itā€™s rewarding now sheā€™s nearly 3. She can talk to me, we can play properly together, she can do stuff for herself, itā€™s not as worrying! Donā€™t get me wrong I swoon over newborns now but I donā€™t envy them one bit. One and done for me. Iā€™m enquiring about being sterilised as I do NOT ever ever ever ever want another child.

please donā€™t think parenthood isnā€™t for you - some people are (imo) are born to be a mum, and just have it naturally and some people (Iā€™d say like you and I), have to really work at being parents and it doesnā€™t come as naturally to us. Sending hugs, I find some days when all Iā€™ve done is shout and get pissed off at her I think Iā€™m not cut out for motherhood either.. but then weā€™ve just had an amazing week away and Iā€™ve heard is ā€œmummy I love youā€ with endless kisses and cuddles and then suddenly I remember I must be doing something right.

a final note- ā€œhow lucky are we to be someoneā€™s everythingā€œ šŸ’–šŸ’–šŸ’–šŸ‘©ā€šŸ‘§
This is what I've always said about newborns. I've always said I hate the newborn stage and people look at me like I'm crazy šŸ˜‚ it's slowly getting better at 18 months. But I prefer the 2+ age

The fear of going through the newborn stage is what stops me from having another.
I've always said that if I went back in time and knew exactly how hard raising kids is, I probably wouldn't have had kids.
Dont get me wrong, I love them and wouldn't change them.
But if I knew before them how lonely, stressful, difficult it all is, to the extent it is. I wouldn't have had any.

This is what I've always said about newborns. I've always said I hate the newborn stage and people look at me like I'm crazy šŸ˜‚ it's slowly getting better at 18 months. But I prefer the 2+ age

The fear of going through the newborn stage is what stops me from having another.
I've always said that if I went back in time and knew exactly how hard raising kids is, I probably wouldn't have had kids.
Dont get me wrong, I love them and wouldn't change them.
But if I knew before them how lonely, stressful, difficult it all is, to the extent it is. I wouldn't have had any.
itā€™s not a bad thing at all to say you hate it! I also get looked at like Iā€™m crazy šŸ˜‚ sorry but I love my child, I just hate being up all hours of the night.

Iā€™m glad someone agrees with me! Having kids is such a life change and I honestly have no idea how these with 3, 4, 5 kids do it.. do you love night feeds šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1
itā€™s not a bad thing at all to say you hate it! I also get looked at like Iā€™m crazy šŸ˜‚ sorry but I love my child, I just hate being up all hours of the night.

Iā€™m glad someone agrees with me! Having kids is such a life change and I honestly have no idea how these with 3, 4, 5 kids do it.. do you love night feeds šŸ˜‚
Once I had one, I was determined to give them a sibling šŸ˜‚ otherwise I'd have stayed at 1 šŸ˜‚

I have 4 and a stepson, and in half terms we have 5 children. Iā€™m not sure why I carried on, and I think I still would if my husband hadnā€™t have Had the snip šŸ˜­
Love newborns, 4mths+ can get in the bin. Baby is nearly 10 months and a pain to his 3yo brother. 3 yo oh my goodness, he is a handful, but he is such a little delight. I just love him so much šŸ˜­ 6yo is lovely, but is getting very rude, 12yo (stepson) has his moments, 13yo. Wellā€¦. If I knew how tough theyā€™d be I wouldnā€™t have had 3 more šŸ« 

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I actually do love night feeds, I know I'm weird but it's lovely special calm cuddles! However I don't love having to function the next day haha, if I could just rest and chill I think I'd be happy doing night feeds forever but when there's a feral 3 year old and housework and life admin etc then it's not so fun.

That said I'm 99.99% sure I'm stopping at 2 because I think I'd lose my damn mind with another one!

I have 4 and definitely want more. With night feeds/wakings you just have to remember they are not forever. And it may sound strange but try to enjoy them, thereā€™s nothing like feeding and cuddling a small baby in the dark quiet of the night. Babies are pure love :)

I have 4 and definitely want more. With night feeds/wakings you just have to remember they are not forever. And it may sound strange but try to enjoy them, thereā€™s nothing like feeding and cuddling a small baby in the dark quiet of the night. Babies are pure love :)
this is why youā€™ve got 4 and Iā€™ve got one and stopping at one šŸ˜‚ as Iā€™ve said I absolutely hate the newborn stage, right up to atleast 2. If I could skip it all and get to this age my daughter is at now I would.The newborn-2 years stage puts me off ever having anymore. Iā€™ve just got my evenings and some proper night sleeps back haha.

all I was thinking during the night feeds was hurry up and finish your bottle Iā€™m dying to go back to sleepšŸ˜‚šŸ’–

• Haha
Reactions: 10
this is why youā€™ve got 4 and Iā€™ve got one and stopping at one šŸ˜‚ as Iā€™ve said I absolutely hate the newborn stage, right up to atleast 2. If I could skip it all and get to this age my daughter is at now I would.The newborn-2 years stage puts me off ever having anymore. Iā€™ve just got my evenings and some proper night sleeps back haha.

all I was thinking during the night feeds was hurry up and finish your bottle Iā€™m dying to go back to sleepšŸ˜‚šŸ’–
I'm the opposite, love the 0-2.5 stage and then find the douchebag toddler stage a slog!

• Haha
aww but the 0-2 stage is the best.
As Taylor Swift says
ā€˜Oh, darlin', don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up
Just stay this littleā€™

• Heart

Definitley with you 100% šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Iā€™m definitely one and done here too. I HATED the newborn stage and everything up until around 18 months, my wee boy is nearly two and a half and yeah, heā€™s a toddler so can be a total twit at times šŸ¤£ but Iā€™d take this stage over the newborn/baby days any day of the week. Having an evening to myself and a decent sleep is way more important to us than having another šŸ¤£

I always wanted two; then my son was born and I was like, no, weā€™re one and done! He was actually a really good baby and slept so well - part of the reason I didnā€™t want another is because I thought weā€™d never get so lucky twice! Now heā€™s almost 3 and I must admit I am tempted to have anotherā€¦ somebody talk me out of it. šŸ˜†

• Haha
I always wanted two; then my son was born and I was like, no, weā€™re one and done! He was actually a really good baby and slept so well - part of the reason I didnā€™t want another is because I thought weā€™d never get so lucky twice! Now heā€™s almost 3 and I must admit I am tempted to have anotherā€¦ somebody talk me out of it. šŸ˜†
My first 2 were amazing sleepers. Slept through from 6-8 weeks they're still amazing sleepers at 4 and 9. We've never really had to deal with tantrums or anything.
Naively thought a 3rd would be the same.
Hahahahaha. No.

Her life mission is clearly to make up for the other 2 šŸ™ƒ

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.