Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We called 111 yesterday after her temp wasn't coming down with calpol and it was 39.9.

She's got a cough, a runny nose (she had these before her temperature shot up) temp anywhere between 38 and 40. Complaining her back and belly hurts. Her head hurts. Being sick.

111 said someone will call you within an hour. It took 8 hours, at which point I was just putting her in bed when they rang.
Sent us to out of hours at 9pm.
For him to check her urine, ears, throat and listen to her chest and say he can't see nothing it's probably an upper respiratory tract infection.
Told us to keep giving calpol and sent us on our way. 😩

I'll have to go get some ibroprofen and try that.
She just keeps crying bless her.

My little girl has just had something very similar apart from hers was also with a cold/cough. She wouldn’t eat for 3 days, was barely drinking anything, just wanted to sleep. She is an absolute nightmare when it comes to calpol/ibuprofen, I have to hide it in all sorts of places to get it down her like a sip of milk, yoghurt etc, which is ok when she will actually eat/drink 🙄 I just let her sleep it off as when she was sleeping her temp seemed to naturally drop and I was at an absolute loss of what to do otherwise. By day 3 the temp had eased but her behaviour was still the same, very subdued, not herself at all. She woke up yesterday and it was like she was a different child, completely back to normal 😂
This sounds very similar.
She was fine when she went to bed Thursday night. Jolly as anything. Normal self.
Woke up Friday morning and she just sat and cuddled me. Refused to eat.
Luckily she is still drinking. But food she won't have!

Have you tried ibuprofen? My daughter had a terrible fever on Wednesday calpol wasn’t bringing it down so the doctor said to use ibuprofen and calpol together which helped. The next day I used calpol didn’t work so used ibuprofen and that did. I wouldn’t do both without talking to a doctor. He prescribed antibiotics as she’s been ill consistently for 3 weeks culminating in the fever which has worked so she might have an infection?
I might call them again tomorrow if she's still like this because it'll be day 4 with no sign of getting better!
She's had a constant cough for 4 weeks now, which I did tell the doctor but he didn't seem bothered!

She looks so pale and it just breaks my heart!

She's never had a sickness bug or anything really so I think it adds to it that this is the first time she's really been ill!

She keeps asking me to take her back to the doctor to help her 😔

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
We called 111 yesterday after her temp wasn't coming down with calpol and it was 39.9.

She's got a cough, a runny nose (she had these before her temperature shot up) temp anywhere between 38 and 40. Complaining her back and belly hurts. Her head hurts. Being sick.

111 said someone will call you within an hour. It took 8 hours, at which point I was just putting her in bed when they rang.
Sent us to out of hours at 9pm.
For him to check her urine, ears, throat and listen to her chest and say he can't see nothing it's probably an upper respiratory tract infection.
Told us to keep giving calpol and sent us on our way. 😩

I'll have to go get some ibroprofen and try that.
She just keeps crying bless her.

This sounds very similar.
She was fine when she went to bed Thursday night. Jolly as anything. Normal self.
Woke up Friday morning and she just sat and cuddled me. Refused to eat.
Luckily she is still drinking. But food she won't have!

I might call them again tomorrow if she's still like this because it'll be day 4 with no sign of getting better!
She's had a constant cough for 4 weeks now, which I did tell the doctor but he didn't seem bothered!

She looks so pale and it just breaks my heart!

She's never had a sickness bug or anything really so I think it adds to it that this is the first time she's really been ill!

She keeps asking me to take her back to the doctor to help her 😔
Yep she woke up Tuesday and was crying that she didn’t want to go to nursery. I thought she was just tired but when we picked her up her teachers said she’d been unlike herself and wouldn’t tell them what was wrong. It just went downhill from there. She’s been constantly poorly/snotty for over a month now since she started at this nursery, but since she’s had what I’m hoping is the back end of the bug, she’s thrown up a load of mucus off her chest, her nose hasn’t been running today for the first time in weeks and her cough is easing up.

Hopefully she feels a lot better soon bless her, it’s awful to see them like it x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
@WhatABore sounds very much like my little girl. Last day of antibiotics tomorrow but still no appetite, very tired and still has a cough. Shocked the doctor let you go home without suggesting ibuprofen if the calpol isn’t working. That made all the difference for my daughter. Hope she feels better soon, it’s so horrible for everyone when they are ❤

• Heart
@WhatABore hope she’s better soon, sending virtual hugs to you both xxx

Has anyone got some advice about my daughter apparently being scared of the dark?

She’s 3 in Jan.

For context: she’s always slept in the dark, even for nap times, she’s never had lights on for going to sleep, no nightlights. In fact the whole landing area near her room is pitch black. No light can get into her room from outside either even when it’s summer.

Now, for the last 2-3 weeks she’s been going through a “phase” of saying she’s scared of the dark and then the next night saying she likes the dark and she wants to sleep in the dark.

I’ve noticed when she’s overtired she’s scared of the dark so I will leave the landing light on until she’s firmly asleep then turn it off. She doesn’t wake up during the night and she wakes up in the morning no issues (in the darkness)..

I just tell her I sleep in the dark and so does her bears, her grandad, daddy all sleep in the dark, I don’t say “there’s nothing to be scared of” cos I don’t want to put things into her head that the dark is frightening and she will start imagining things.

i don’t think she’s scared of the dark as such but she sometimes tells me she is before bedtime.

i just don’t know what advice I’m looking for cos I obviously leave a light on when she tells me she’s scared but has anyone else been through this? I remember being scared of the dark as a kid and I felt better when I could see the landing light through my bedroom, almost like a comfort thing?

she’s nearly 3 so she might be imagining things now and I don’t disregard how she feels but one day she’s fine and the other shes sobbing at bedtime cos of the dark!

Has anyone got some advice about my daughter apparently being scared of the dark?

She’s 3 in Jan.

For context: she’s always slept in the dark, even for nap times, she’s never had lights on for going to sleep, no nightlights. In fact the whole landing area near her room is pitch black. No light can get into her room from outside either even when it’s summer.

Now, for the last 2-3 weeks she’s been going through a “phase” of saying she’s scared of the dark and then the next night saying she likes the dark and she wants to sleep in the dark.

I’ve noticed when she’s overtired she’s scared of the dark so I will leave the landing light on until she’s firmly asleep then turn it off. She doesn’t wake up during the night and she wakes up in the morning no issues (in the darkness)..

I just tell her I sleep in the dark and so does her bears, her grandad, daddy all sleep in the dark, I don’t say “there’s nothing to be scared of” cos I don’t want to put things into her head that the dark is frightening and she will start imagining things.

i don’t think she’s scared of the dark as such but she sometimes tells me she is before bedtime.

i just don’t know what advice I’m looking for cos I obviously leave a light on when she tells me she’s scared but has anyone else been through this? I remember being scared of the dark as a kid and I felt better when I could see the landing light through my bedroom, almost like a comfort thing?

she’s nearly 3 so she might be imagining things now and I don’t disregard how she feels but one day she’s fine and the other shes sobbing at bedtime cos of the dark!
My 4yo does this quite often. She has light from her gro clock but still says it's too dark and she's scared of the dark.

I've found a lot of it actually started from tv shows! A lot of them always mention about being scared of the dark.
And I think that's what put the idea in her mind to start with.

Can you get her a night light?

I just constantly explain that there's nothing to be scared of, she's safe in her room, I'm only in the room next to her.

She has at the minute, got a mini torch next to her bed that she says she keeps there for if she hears something scary.
So I've just let her keep it there

Reactions: 1

She’s 3 in Jan.

My eldest is 9 and doesn’t love the dark. I’m 36 and I don’t either 🤣 I think fear of the dark is a really normal childhood thing. I don’t think it’s actually dark they are afraid of, I think it’s possible more becoming aware that they are alone and they can’t see everything as clearly as normal.
I would just go with the flow - if she wants lights on leave them on, if not don’t. Just take each night as it comes. Maybe get her a little night light for her room? As you’re getting her ready for bed each night maybe make it part of the routine to ask “do you want the lights on or off tonight?”
At my in laws my husband and I sleep in separate rooms because he sleeps in with the older kids and I sleep with the little, and many times there I sleep with the light on all night 🙈

Reactions: 3

She’s 3 in Jan.

We have just gone through a phase of this with our little one who is 4. We found that when she was overtired she was saying she was scared of the dark and she would wake up at least once in the night in floods of tears and saying she had had a bad dream.

I didnt really want to get into a nightlight or leaving the hallway light on, as is the same with your little one, she has always been fine with the dark and it has never bothered her.

However, we have got her a Groclock (more to do with staying in bed) and that is a bit of a night light. The first night she hated it and cried that it was too light 😂 so we asked her if she wanted us to take it away and she said no. She hasn't mentioned being scared of the dark since, and hasn't had a bad dream either.

We were thinking that she has had / got some big changes in a short amount of time - starting school and I'm currently 7 months pregnant, so we're thinking that had more to do with it than her actually being scared of the dark. But the Groclock has worked for us 🤷🏻‍♀️ would you consider something like this?

She’s 3 in Jan.

Going through this too. Everything is ‘scary’ and has started getting into bed with us at night time. He’s killing me!!

@WhatABore I think it’s my 2 older boys, but calpol doesn’t help with temperatures. We almost have to go straight to ibuprofen as that keeps temps down
Hope she feels better soon!

We have just gone through a phase of this with our little one who is 4. We found that when she was overtired she was saying she was scared of the dark and she would wake up at least once in the night in floods of tears and saying she had had a bad dream.

I didnt really want to get into a nightlight or leaving the hallway light on, as is the same with your little one, she has always been fine with the dark and it has never bothered her.

However, we have got her a Groclock (more to do with staying in bed) and that is a bit of a night light. The first night she hated it and cried that it was too light 😂 so we asked her if she wanted us to take it away and she said no. She hasn't mentioned being scared of the dark since, and hasn't had a bad dream either.

We were thinking that she has had / got some big changes in a short amount of time - starting school and I'm currently 7 months pregnant, so we're thinking that had more to do with it than her actually being scared of the dark. But the Groclock has worked for us 🤷🏻‍♀️ would you consider something like this?
My boy is scared of the groclock 😔

• Sad
Going through this too. Everything is ‘scary’ and has started getting into bed with us at night time.
omg my just turned 3 y/o is the same. Literally everything is scary, eating breakfast, brushing his teeth, getting dressed, playing with his toys, watching the tv, having a bath. Literally everything

Thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate all the advice when I post.

so I’ve noted it’s when she’s overtired..! I’ve got some dinosaur string lights in her playroom so I’m going to put them in her bedroom for the nights she’s scared.

i wouldn’t consider a gro clock as she stays asleep till atleast 7am most mornings, and she doesn’t get out of bed generally until she hears me open the pointless stairgate that she can open outside her bedroom😂..

She was at her dads this weekend and he said she was up all night both nights crying over the dark and wanting me😳 we’ve just come back off hol on Wednesday and I think she’s been shattered and her mind has ran overtime! Bless them 😭💖

• Heart
omg my just turned 3 y/o is the same. Literally everything is scary, eating breakfast, brushing his teeth, getting dressed, playing with his toys, watching the tv, having a bath. Literally everything
Why do they do this 😭 I’m exhausted. The baby is such a better sleeper and he’s the one supposed to be keeping me awake 😭

• Sad
  • Heart
Not advice as such but do any of your little ones share a room? OH and I sold our tiny two bed 18m ago as we wanted another baby. Life happened and we’ve not found a house and lost two babies on the way, brilliant 🤨 anyway. In the current market the houses are ridiculously high and tbh we can’t afford the interest rates anyway. Found another two bed which we both like but I feel so guilty for my kiddies sharing a room. I know it sounds daft but I think it stems from I never had to share a room and my dream would be that we got a 3 bed. Does it work? Does anyone on here have a 2 bed with a toddler and a baby? Obv the baby (when it happens) would be with us for 6 months anyway but I’m a real worrier.

• Heart
Not advice as such but do any of your little ones share a room? OH and I sold our tiny two bed 18m ago as we wanted another baby. Life happened and we’ve not found a house and lost two babies on the way, brilliant 🤨 anyway. In the current market the houses are ridiculously high and tbh we can’t afford the interest rates anyway. Found another two bed which we both like but I feel so guilty for my kiddies sharing a room. I know it sounds daft but I think it stems from I never had to share a room and my dream would be that we got a 3 bed. Does it work? Does anyone on here have a 2 bed with a toddler and a baby? Obv the baby (when it happens) would be with us for 6 months anyway but I’m a real worrier.
my boys share a room. There have been times when my toddler has woken the baby so we trialled having them separate but the baby wouldn’t sleep without his brother, he used to stand in his cot looking over crying because his brother wasn’t where he usually was. It’s quite sweet actually. I think they enjoy sharing a room now tbh, they would miss each other if they didn’t anymore. Im sure the time will come when they no longer want to share a room but for the foreseeable they’ll be sharing - im looking forward the bunk beds and the arguments they bring!
We made sure that the cot was in their bedroom before the baby went in it so my toddler knew it was going to happen and we decorated each side of the room so the toddler has cars and construction vehicles which was his choice and the baby has Winnie the Pooh but there’s also photos of both of them in there so they’ve got separate and shared space

• Heart
Yes! All have mine have shared a room, and the older ones have not been woken up but the little ones and vice versa…
When my second was born, we were in a 2 bed. My eldest was nearly 7 and stepson was 5. They shared a room, and when the baby was 6 months the 3 of them were in together (when SS stayed) we moved to a 3 bed and stuck the eldest in her own room and put the boys together. When I had my toddler, at 6 months he shared with the boys. Now we are in a 4 bed and the toddler and 6 yo share while the eldest and baby have their own rooms. We were going to put the toddler and baby together, by we can’t get a single bed in the small room for the 6yo

I’ve had a big fall out with my partner today. We take turns around on weekend mornings of getting up with our 3 yo son. This morning was his and I have been sick anyway so really needed o sleep. I woke up at about 9:30pm and they were both on the sofa and tv was on which my son was watching. My OH was asleep! Said he was just ‘snoozing’ I also asked if he had been using the potty as he’s been potty trained fully for about a month now and is doing great. He said no, he’s still in his nappy actually because it was changed during the night. I was livid! The first thing I do in the morning is take his nappy off and I never sleep around him if he’s awake! He told me if I’m not happy with his parenting I can do all the mornings if I like. I’m really questioning everything tbh.

That was supposed to say 9:30am not pm!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
My partner is the same. Because I’m a SAHM and he works 6/7 days a week his excuse is oh I don’t know the routine. Yesterday he got her ready while I got ready and he didn’t brush her hair. She has very curly hair so it isn’t as easy as combing it but he also didn’t wash her face properly and I didn’t realise until we were already out the door 🤦🏼‍♀️ He said he’d do her bath yesterday but wasn’t going to wash her hair. She’s been unwell so I haven’t bathed her properly for a week and needed doing, so we had a row about that. I’d already combed it before she’d got in the bath so it’s not even like it’s that hard 🙄
Totally understand why you would be angry and upset at him not helping with potty training and falling asleep on his watch. If we did that we wouldn’t hear the end of it!

• Heart
Ugh dads really are a different breed. Had a row ( can you call it a row with me shouting and him just saying get off my back) he bathed LO only after I asked & then brought him down in the towel but didn’t dry him LO wriggled out and cos they’d been giddy upstairs he was wired and was running and jumping around on the sofa which our dog sits on so he got dog hairs stuck to his naked body 🙈. And then I said can you take him upstairs It’s bed time.
i follow them Up5 mins later they were on our bed LO still naked … watching tv laughing and I said can you get him in his pjs just gonna have a wee 😂 I come back they haven’t moved. This was 715 I like him to be asleepat 645/7 and I said do I have to do everything !!!!
They just don’t think like us do they

Once I went out with my friend in the evening and he was putting him to bed and when I got back at like 930pm LO was sat up in bed at the end and dad was asleep!!!🙈😂 if I don’t laugh I’ll cry. They’re so annoying

• Heart
Don’t get me started on the bedtime routine 🤣 he’s been doing that with me for 3 years so he’s got no excuse. I lie with her til she’s asleep too so don’t know why he thinks getting her ready is that hard when I’m in there for an hour some nights 🤣🤣

he bathed LO only after I asked
I don’t need to ask. I get ‘do they need a bath tonight?’ I mean, you’re the parent too? Can you not decide whether they need a bath? the 2 younger boys have baths every school night. My 6yo has a shower every night. Yet, he still questions bath time?
He also doesn’t ask so he will do it. He asks so he runs a bath and leaves me to deal with them 🫠
I’ve said it in the baby thread, but I had a few nights away with the girls in August and had to write him a list. And he got his mum over to stay the whole time I was gone. Yet, when he went away a couple of months before, I literally done everything on my own?!
I just don’t get their mentality?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.