To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I voted no, for now.

Main reason being I am 27 and want children so badly and I am already worried I could be infertile and it eats me up daily so I’m just concerned of any side effects. I even stopped taking birth control I just hate taking things that alter our bodies this way. Until I was older it didn’t scare me, I think this is just more of a fear for my worries than anything else though.

I also want to see what side effects it has so many months down the line. It’s natural for us to be scared and cautious even with scientific facts, I’m not 100% against it. I just would rather it be firstly offered to people who are a priority and also hear experiences from people who I personally know who have had it. I know a girl my age who’s just had it due to her job so it would be interesting to speak to her about it and see if it effected her in any way

I really don’t understand the comments from people on the high horse turning their nose up at people who don’t want it at all. Just because you feel comfortable doesn’t mean everyone else is. Towards the end of the year I bet the majority of people will feel differently, it’s all still so new, once it’s more common that people have had it then I’m sure people will feel more relaxed about it

Reactions: 5
A lot has happened since my comment on this thread, I will have the vaccine no matter which one it is, the sooner I get one the better.

Reactions: 10
I really don’t understand the comments from people on the high horse turning their nose up at people who don’t want it at all. Just because you feel comfortable doesn’t mean everyone else is. Towards the end of the year I bet the majority of people will feel differently, it’s all still so new, once it’s more common that people have had it then I’m sure people will feel more relaxed about it
But the point is if everyone had that point of view the vaccine wouldn’t work.

People have to be prepared to take the risk for this to achieve anything, same as with a lockdown. If a large group don’t comply it won’t work and then we’re stuck in this situation for a long time.

So I think it’s justified people are irritated by those saying they won’t do it. I’m happy to have the vaccination but why should I do it so you can have a decent life when you’re not prepared to do it so I can have a decent life?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I had it tuesday and have had headaches on and off since, i get them anyway so it may not be linked. The arm ache has complety gone today 😀! Other then that no regrets here.

Reactions: 11
I’ve been offered it now but I’m still a bit reluctant. Nothing to do with any conspiracy theories or infertility, I just don’t have time to be feeling unwell and a few people who got it had “flu like” symptoms for a couple of days. I’ll probably get it when I have some time off work or something as don’t want to use my sick allowance.
i think if you're worried about flu like symptoms surely you would be more worried about corona symptoms?

Taking the vaccine is personal choice but I feel like the fertility concerns argument is so unfounded. There is information below about why that theory has come up and why it’s essentially null and void.

It honestly took me less than a minute to google and find the below, basing not getting a medical treatment off something you read in the daily Mail/Facebook/online rumours without any further research just seems crazy to me.

Thanks for this! My friend isn’t speaking to me because I told her to stop believing everything she reads off Twitter from an unreliable source!

I think it’s irresponsible of anyone not to get it. It’s our moral duty to do this.
I agree with this. I think the same about all vaccines tbh.

As a fit and healthy 28 year old, if I caught covid it would likely not affect me that much. However I have two very vulnerable family members who’s lives have been massively impacted since March as they’ve had to shield. In my opinion it would be selfish of me not to get it and deny them a chance to have a normal life again!

I had no idea there would be so many concerned about the vaccines impact on fertility. Perhaps I am naive as I’m pretty impartial to having children in the future. (If I meet someone and have kids, great. If not, I’ll just be the cool aunt who goes on fab holidays and wears nice bags!)

I have had a read online this morning and there seems to be no concern from the actual healthcare professionals about the vaccines impact on fertility. This article is helpful re fertility concerns. I know it’s Grazia but their articles are always very well written/researched so I trust them (again perhaps naively!)

Reactions: 4
i think if you're worried about flu like symptoms surely you would be more worried about corona symptoms?
Yeah it’s not logical, I feel like my risk of getting covid and having symptoms is low (likely already had it), but getting a vaccine that’s probably going to make me paranoid about “feeling ill” is just going to play on my mind. I hate taking sick leave but at least for covid I wouldn’t feel guilty about it! Again, not logical but welcome to my brain! 😂

I agree with this. I think the same about all vaccines tbh.

As a fit and healthy 28 year old, if I caught covid it would likely not affect me that much. However I have two very vulnerable family members who’s lives have been massively impacted since March as they’ve had to shield. In my opinion it would be selfish of me not to get it and deny them a chance to have a normal life again!
The jab won’t stop you getting and passing it on though, just reduces your symptoms. So if your vulnerable family members have it then that’s the protection needed. So you wouldn’t necessarily need to get it for them.

Reactions: 3
I am a 30 year old carer in the community so I know I will be offered it soon, I am really worrying about it. I want more children in the future so I am worrying about how it will effect me with that?

Can someone point me to (legitimate) sources that have caused people to worry about fertility issues?

I am a 30 year old carer in the community so I know I will be offered it soon, I am really worrying about it. I want more children in the future so I am worrying about how it will effect me with that?
I replied to you with the full fact article (below) explaining and essentially disproving the fertility claims in the covid thread. If scientific explanations won’t calm you on this then to be honest I’m not sure what will? 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s not mandatory so no one is forcing you. If you would rather take your chances with covid that is your prerogative. There’s about as much evidence as to whether covid effects fertility as with the vaccine.

The jab won’t stop you getting and passing it on though, just reduces your symptoms. So if your vulnerable family members have it then that’s the protection needed. So you wouldn’t necessarily need to get it for them.
Yeah sorry - I know that it’s more important for them to get it than me. But I thought for the risk of COVID to be minimised then a substantial %age of the population needed the vaccine. Maybe that’s wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️ But I would do anything for them and others in the same position as them.

Reactions: 2
I replied to you with the full fact article (below) explaining and essentially disproving the fertility claims in the covid thread. If scientific explanations won’t calm you on this then to be honest I’m not sure what will? 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s not mandatory so no one is forcing you. If you would rather take your chances with covid that is your prerogative. There’s about as much evidence as to whether covid effects fertility as with the vaccine.

I know you’re right, I just worry we don’t know if it’s mandatory at work yet but we are visiting vulnerable people so I know I should be having it. But it’s also a new vaccine & I am only young so it is a worry to me 🤷‍♀️

I’m 20 and I’ll happily take it if it means I’ll be protecting others, plus I don’t believe the whole “you’re young you’ll be fine” as I’ve saw people my age in the ICU. Plus I may have an underlying undiagnosed condition that hasn’t presented itself yet.

Reactions: 7
I know you’re right, I just worry we don’t know if it’s mandatory at work yet but we are visiting vulnerable people so I know I should be having it. But it’s also a new vaccine & I am only young so it is a worry to me 🤷‍♀️
I understand, I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons. So cons would be less than 1% chance of it affecting fertility vs whatever the pros would be for you.

Like I said, I’m not sure what would put your mind at ease if not scientists stating there’s no risk? How many will need to go onto have successful pregnancies before you would believe that?

It’s totally normal for people to feel scared or concerned about taking a new vaccine, particularly when those concerns are so easily fuelled by information online. It’s also very hard to figure out which sources are credible or not for the average layperson who doesn’t have a scientific research background (aka most of the population). But the science and research that has gone into producing these vaccines is actually very strong in terms of them being safe and effective. There also isn’t yet proof that they won’t stop spread, it’s just that that wasn’t the main element tested in studies as it’s far more difficult to measure. Claims about effects of fertility are not backed by any evidence despite some of the claims made online.
I totally understand the worry and skepticism about all of this, especially when this pandemic has already caused so much anxiety amongst us. But I do know that the vaccines are an absolute godsend and we should be celebrating the scientists who have worked harder than they ever have before to study and produce them.

Reactions: 6
I’m getting my vaccine tomorrow, I’m a health care worker.
The way I see it is, this vaccine was developed by scientists. They have been working en masse solely on this since the outbreak began. No-one, absolutely no-one knows the long term effects of covid. I’ll take my chances with the vaccine.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I’m 20 and I’ll happily take it if it means I’ll be protecting others, plus I don’t believe the whole “you’re young you’ll be fine” as I’ve saw people my age in the ICU. Plus I may have an underlying undiagnosed condition that hasn’t presented itself yet.
But I still don’t get this because we’ve literally been told it doesn’t stop us getting it and passing it on? I’m just worried this vaccine is giving people a false sense of security. Those at risk need to have it for sure.

But I still don’t get this because we’ve literally been told it doesn’t stop us getting it and passing it on? I’m just worried this vaccine is giving people a false sense of security. Those at risk need to have it for sure.

But it also makes you have a much higher chance of not having these awful side effects from Covid and it really takes down the chances of death from it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.