To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am wondering what the long term consequences are going to be, for individuals who do not want the vaccine? Will they be ostricised, and punished by various organisations - employers/DWP/the local community? Will their freedom be restricted because they are a risk to the vulnerable? So many questions

I’ve been offered the COVID-19 vaccine at work. I work in a care home so it’s being offered alongside our residents. We have to let them know if we want it so one can be ordered for us.. but I’m in two minds!

What would you do? And why?
I am interested to know which decision you have made, as I am in a similar situation.

Oh the irony.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I know of 5 people to of had it so far - 4 ‘young’ frontline workers and then my 80+yo Nan. 3 I haven’t heard any concerns and they’ve only had the one dose. One had the second dose (was fine after the first) and reacted severely. Within hours they had an uncontrollable temperature and vomiting. The last person had an anaphylactic reaction and needed CPR.

Does anyone that has had it have a copy of the PIL? I saw a photo from one of the above and can’t recall what it said about it not being regulated/licensed for use. Unfortunately it was on their SM story so has gone now so I can’t confirm exactly what it said but would like to know.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Yes. I was quite skeptical at first but as time is going on, restrictions are tiring and frustrating. I live in a country that although it’s not mandatory I do think that living here will be complicated without getting vaccinated. Also I haven’t seen my children or family in a long time and travel seems to be off limits without quarantine at our own cost. I think airlines will also ask that passengers be vaccinated.

Reactions: 1
I won’t be having it..yet. Also worried about infertility. I have an infertility issue anyway (PCOS) and it’s so hard not knowing whether I’ll have children or not. So this is a big worry with the vaccine as it could make it even harder for someone like me.

Reactions: 8
I’m not sure about whether it’s illegal but if you’re front line nhs staff it’s completely irresponsible not to get the vaccine so I can see where he’s coming from.
I think it’s irresponsible of anyone not to get it. It’s our moral duty to do this.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
I think it’s irresponsible of anyone not to get it. It’s our moral duty to do this.
Devils advocate tho , some of these nhs colleagues who are reluctant to get it may have worked alongside or been friends with nhs colleague who took severely ill after the swine flu vaccine and had to medically retire from their job

Reactions: 11
I know of 5 people to of had it so far - 4 ‘young’ frontline workers and then my 80+yo Nan. 3 I haven’t heard any concerns and they’ve only had the one dose. One had the second dose (was fine after the first) and reacted severely. Within hours they had an uncontrollable temperature and vomiting. The last person had an anaphylactic reaction and needed CPR.

Does anyone that has had it have a copy of the PIL? I saw a photo from one of the above and can’t recall what it said about it not being regulated/licensed for use. Unfortunately it was on their SM story so has gone now so I can’t confirm exactly what it said but would like to know.
Did this actually happen? Someone needed CPR after their second dose? That’s incredibly severe, CPR is a “last resort” - I’m sure if that had actually happened it would have reached the media by now.

Reactions: 7
One in each arm please. 💉

Alt right conspiracies about it containing a chip, or dye to track you 🙄 or make you infertile and the rumours of ALL the people who have died from it but it is being covered up by the MSM can get in the bin.

There is no basis for any of this, and frankly brexit fanned the flames of this “we are sick of experts” tit and now here we are, anti science is prolific.

Reactions: 19
I’m not sure about whether it’s illegal but if you’re front line nhs staff it’s completely irresponsible not to get the vaccine so I can see where he’s coming from.
The person who was being forced to has had severe reactions to vaccines in the past which is why she doesn’t want to get this one

I’m really surprised at the reaction they had, patients are screen at least 3 times before they have the vaccine and asked whether they have had anaphylactic reactions before so if they were to answer yes they wouldn’t have given them the vaccine. Unless of course they had never had anaphylaxis before and this was the first time

Had mine today. That definitely sounds illegal from your employer.

I would definitely contact your union within the NHS if they’re saying they won’t pay sick pay. The vaccine doesn’t mean you won’t still contract COVID-19, it just means the symptoms won’t be as severe if you do, as it’s meant to increase your antibodies and immune response

I got the Pfizer one today, no side effects except from a bruised arm! Second dose depends on when the government decides apparently :rolleyes:
Thanks, my colleague who the boss said it to has had sever reactions to vaccines in the past hence why she doesn’t want to get this. She has joined a union this week to get advice. And very true, it’s only going to be 70-90% effective so we all could still get it! I’m getting the Pfizer Monday.. no idea when we are getting the 2nd one due to govt changes all the time

Last edited:
I’ve been offered it now but I’m still a bit reluctant. Nothing to do with any conspiracy theories or infertility, I just don’t have time to be feeling unwell and a few people who got it had “flu like” symptoms for a couple of days. I’ll probably get it when I have some time off work or something as don’t want to use my sick allowance.

I am wondering what the long term consequences are going to be, for individuals who do not want the vaccine? Will they be ostricised, and punished by various organisations - employers/DWP/the local community? Will their freedom be restricted because they are a risk to the vulnerable? So many questions

I am interested to know which decision you have made, as I am in a similar situation.

Oh the irony.
There’s talk of not being able to work, not being able to attend gigs, concerts and events, no entering shops, no access to public travel, no leaving your immediate area, basically if you don't get vaccinated, you can leave your house for your daily exercise and that's it.

I work in early years and my boss has ready said once early years workers become eligible for the vaccine, she will be letting people go who refuse to have it. She has already asked several of us who haven't signed the petition to get make early years practitioners eligible why we haven't signed it.

I don't even know if she can do any of that!!

At the moment, my answer is no, I'm not having it. I'd rather wait as long as possible and see what happens. They don't even know if the vaccine prevents spread, which they initially said it does. They basically sold the vaccine as a miracle cure that prevents the spread and it's now looking like that Covid actually mutates and the vaccine will need to be a yearly vax so will pretty much work like the flu vaccination and Covid will actually replace the flu.

Most vaccinations don't prevent you contracting the illness, it lessens the impact of the virus on the body. There's apparently no long term effects as once the vax enters your body and does what it has to do, it leaves your system after 48 hours and then it's your own immune system that does the work.

For now, I'd rather hold fire and see how things pan out. Take out my job role and I'm not eligible for it till November anyway according to the calculator but I'm not happy about being told if I don't get it immediately then I am out of a job. Ironic, considering we accept unvaccinated children whose parents are anti vaxers.

Devils advocate tho , some of these nhs colleagues who are reluctant to get it may have worked alongside or been friends with nhs colleague who took severely ill after the swine flu vaccine and had to medically retire from their job
When swine flu was happening, the Dr and Nurse tried to force it onto my then 3 year old. They told me that if I didn't inject him, he could potentially be dead within a year as swine flue was so dangerous. The local schools had closed down because of it.

Weirdly, they had 4 pupils ill out of both schools and within two months, schools opened up, they went back and no more was said about it.

And I never consented for him to have the vaccination.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I don’t understand where the infertility suspicion has come from?! Has that been said anywhere? I’ve never seen anything about it except on this thread.

I hate the attitude of “I’m going to wait and see how everyone else gets on first”. If everyone had that attitude we would never get out of this mess.

Reactions: 12
No. Because we want to start trying for a family soon and it seems unknown, the risk to fertility. Plus, I am not worried about catching covid (trying to avoid it but I'm not vulnerable)

I don’t understand where the infertility suspicion has come from?! Has that been said anywhere? I’ve never seen anything about it except on this thread.

I hate the attitude of “I’m going to wait and see how everyone else gets on first”. If everyone had that attitude we would never get out of this mess.
I've seen it mentioned away from this thread, on the Daily mail. I was concerned about it before I knew any others were (I work in an environment where we work with untested drugs, so I'm probably more aware of this sort of concern, than others may be)

Did this actually happen? Someone needed CPR after their second dose? That’s incredibly severe, CPR is a “last resort” - I’m sure if that had actually happened it would have reached the media by now.
It was their first dose. Yes it did happen, it is someone I work with. Yes CPR is a last resort as it’s when you’re in cardiac arrest so if it’s not done you’re fucked, it’s part of my line of work. It wouldn’t necessarily be in the media but the data will be passed the MHRA then what they do with it is their choice. I’m sure the information will be accessible at some point and I hope is an extreme isolated case.

Unless of course they had never had anaphylaxis before and this was the first time
They hadn’t.

Reactions: 1
I've seen it mentioned away from this thread, on the Daily mail. I was concerned about it before I knew any others were (I work in an environment where we work with untested drugs, so I'm probably more aware of this sort of concern, than others may be)
Can you explain what you mean by being "more aware" of this sort of concern, specifically in terms of the covid vaccines? You reference untested drugs but these aren't untested drugs.

Completely agree with you

Of course it is illegal 🙄
NHS staff are not irresponsible if they choose not to get the vaccine. People can make their own decisions on vaccine choice and should not be pressured either to get the vaccine or not get the vaccine. A pressurised workforce is not a happy workforce and what will that do for work ethic and morale.
Yes they are. As a nurse you have a code of conduct, some employers (outside of the nhs) can stipulate as part of the contract that staff must have vaccines eg up to date with hep b etc, flu and so on. If you are working front line with COVID you are completely irresponsible to refuse the vaccine.

Completely agree with you

Yes they are. As a nurse you have a code of conduct, some employers (outside of the nhs) can stipulate as part of the contract that staff must have vaccines eg up to date with hep b etc, flu and so on. If you are working front line with COVID you are completely irresponsible to refuse the vaccine.
Code of conduct 1.3 says avoid making assumptions and recognise diversity and individual choice!

The next code is all about listening to people, by responding to their preferences. Code 2.5 says respecting a persons right to accept or refuse care/treatment

I don’t think it’s irresponsible for any colleague not to take the vaccine, personal choice is a fundamental right. Some of my coworkers have already explained their valid reasons for not taking the vaccine, it’s not irresponsible when it’s relating to their personal health and wellbeing

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Taking the vaccine is personal choice but I feel like the fertility concerns argument is so unfounded. There is information below about why that theory has come up and why it’s essentially null and void.

It honestly took me less than a minute to google and find the below, basing not getting a medical treatment off something you read in the daily Mail/Facebook/online rumours without any further research just seems crazy to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.