To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But it also makes you have a much higher chance of not having these awful side effects from Covid and it really takes down the chances of death from it.
Yeah for sure, but that’s not protecting anyone else but yourself? I get that people want it to prevent themselves having covid, but having it isn’t going to stop you passing it to vulnerable people. That’s why I don’t get this whole “moral duty” stance that others have said in this thread. If anything it just makes you more likely to be asymptotic and not know you have it - so probably increases you passing it on if anything 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 5
I’m getting my vaccine tomorrow, I’m a health care worker.
The way I see it is, this vaccine was developed by scientists. They have been working en masse solely on this since the outbreak began. No-one, absolutely no-one knows the long term effects of covid. I’ll take my chances with the vaccine.
This is how I feel. 6 months ago I was of the opinion that I wouldn’t be getting the vaccine in the first round.... now, having seen how awful this is through working on the frontline, I feel totally different and am desperate for it. Also I want it so that the world can start turning normally again and the economy isn’t any more screwed for others. On balance, I feel like I have to take my chances with it for the good of others. I think that surely the only way you’d pass Covid onto people after being vaxed, would be if you hadn’t washed your hands and spread droplets?

Reactions: 9
I am a 30 year old carer in the community so I know I will be offered it soon, I am really worrying about it. I want more children in the future so I am worrying about how it will effect me with that?
There are actually concerns from doctors that getting covid itself may affect fertility, particularly for men, but also for women, as it seems to be able to affect a lot of different body systems, lungs, kidneys, clotting, heart etc. So the virus itself may very well affect the reproductive system but we just don't know that yet. I think the chances of the vaccine affecting fertility are extremely low. The fact that pregnant women are excluded from the trials and recommended not to have it is totally normal, that's the same with every new treatment, due to what happened with thalidomide in the 1950s, which caused severe birth defects.

I've had the vaccine and my symptoms were minimal, I had a sore arm for a couple of days and that's it. We have no idea how covid will affect people long term as it seems many people, even those who were very healthy are still suffering the effects of long covid months and months after catching it.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Yeah for sure, but that’s not protecting anyone else but yourself? I get that people want it to prevent themselves having covid, but having it isn’t going to stop you passing it to vulnerable people. That’s why I don’t get this whole “moral duty” stance that others have said in this thread. If anything it just makes you more likely to be asymptotic and not know you have it - so probably increases you passing it on if anything 🤷‍♀️
What else do you want people to do? I for one and everyone I know is still wearing a mask, hand washing, social distancing? The rules are to still wear a mask after you’ve had your vaccinations.

Reactions: 1
Also sorry to harp on with my concerns but I feel like nobody talks about what happened with the swine flu vaccine? That’s what worries me too, I feel like if something similar was to happen with this one it would just get brushed aside :censored:

What else do you want people to do? I for one and everyone I know is still wearing a mask, hand washing, social distancing? The rules are to still wear a mask after you’ve had your vaccinations.
Nothing I’m just saying it’s a personal choice? No one should feel pressured to have a jab to “protect others” when it doesn’t stop you getting it or passing it on anyway.

Reactions: 8
Also sorry to harp on with my concerns but I feel like nobody talks about what happened with the swine flu vaccine? That’s what worries me too, I feel like if something similar was to happen with this one it would just get brushed aside :censored:

Nothing I’m just saying it’s a personal choice? No one should feel pressured to have a jab to “protect others” when it doesn’t stop you getting it or passing it on anyway.
but part of the reason to get it is so you don't get sick and overwhelm the NHS surely?

Reactions: 2
This is how I feel. 6 months ago I was of the opinion that I wouldn’t be getting the vaccine in the first round.... now, having seen how awful this is through working on the frontline, I feel totally different and am desperate for it. Also I want it so that the world can start turning normally again and the economy isn’t any more screwed for others. On balance, I feel like I have to take my chances with it for the good of others. I think that surely the only way you’d pass Covid onto people after being vaxed, would be if you hadn’t washed your hands and spread droplets?
You have a good attitude. It's a shame not everyone thinks this way. Actually the scary thing is that the majority of people don't have this mindset, even after experiencing the worst pandemic in 100 years
together as a society.

It's frustrating watching the conspiracy theories and ungrounded scare mongering re: fertility. I know one woman I work with who doesn't want it simply because as she put it "I've got kids" which blew my mind. Why is the automatic human thinking for
some people this is something designed to harm us rather than this is something peope worked tirelessley on to help us move forward? I think it shines a light on a lot of the current and recent generations of the past 40 years which are very much "it's all about ME".

• Heart
Reactions: 13

What happened with the swine flu vaccine? It was given to 6 million people in the UK, and the vast vast majority of those people were and still are completely fine. 1 in 55,000 people who got the vaccine developed narcolepsy, that is still an extremely rare side effect. It is thought that only 120 people in the whole of the UK were affected. Don't get me wrong, narcolepsy is a horrible condition, but the chances of a similar side effect happening to you are very small. Those affected were given compensation and this was in the newspapers when it was discovered, it wasn't brushed aside. Personally I'd rather take the risk of a rare side effect than the risk of covid damaging my lungs or heart which is definitely a thing that has been noticed with covid even in healthy people.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
You’re not harping on, it’s ok to have lots of questions on this! 😊 What reassures me about this particular vaccine is that scientists had SO much more money and resources pumped into it (because of the urgency of it, political gains for “getting there first”, etc) so they’ve been able to conduct very robust and extensive studies. This is also the reason why it has seemingly been produced so fast (which I know scares people too) as normally there is an absolute tonne of time wasted and lost in this field while the scientists have to keep applying for grants, waiting for answers, having lack of volunteers, etc. I think we have to consider that the scientists that have formulated these vaccines and produced them wouldn’t be putting their entire careers and reputations on the line with a dodgy vaccine. It’s also very important for pharmaceutical companies to get this one right- all eyes will be on them and if they f*ck this up it will be catastrophic for them, not to mention catastrophic for public trust in vaccines and pharmaceuticals which could lead to a far greater health crisis than the current pandemic.

Also, they haven’t definitely found that it doesn’t prevent spread, it’s just that the main outcome that was focused on was reduction in deaths and severe health impacts as this is easier and faster to monitor in studies and makes more sense to combat first. However, there’s still a chance it may also stop spread, for example if people who are vaccinated just catch asymptomatic covid then numbers can potentially decrease because asymptomatic infection has been shown to be potentially less infectious.

QUOTE="Pixipoppy, post: 3456296, member: 52978"]

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 6
What happened with the swine flu vaccine? It was given to 6 million people in the UK, and the vast vast majority of those people were and still are completely fine. 1 in 55,000 people who got the vaccine developed narcolepsy, that is still an extremely rare side effect. It is thought that only 120 people in the whole of the UK were affected. Don't get me wrong, narcolepsy is a horrible condition, but the chances of a similar side effect happening to you are very small. Those affected were given compensation and this was in the newspapers when it was discovered, it wasn't brushed aside. Personally I'd rather take the risk of a rare side effect than the risk of covid damaging my lungs or heart which is definitely a thing that has been noticed with covid even in healthy people.
I have a personal anecdote about this but I won’t go into detail as it’s not my business to share someone else’s experience. I just know that in this particular case it was dismissed as just a coincidence, they were going through a stressful time in their life and as far as I know it was never recognised as a result of the vaccine (maybe it wasn’t, I don’t know I’m not a doctor). I know the risks are higher with covid generally but vaccines still freak me out to this day just because of what happened back then with the person I knew. I’ll still get it, I’m just venting some worries

I've got multiple health conditions
so I'll be offered the vaccination. I'm concerned about long term effects etc but taking into account the extra protection the vaccine will give me then it's a no brainer. I couldn't see it ending well if I got the virus either.
Also I've been shielding for so long I'm beginning to forget what the outside world looks like!

I know you know this pixi because I harp on about it on the covid thread every time someone posts that it doesn’t stop transmission 🤪

It may stop transmission but they have not been able to study this yet, there was some promising evidence that the moderna vaccine does but that’s it at the moment.

So it may well stop you from passing it on too, in which case getting it to protect others would make sense. We can’t prove that it does or does not until a bigger proportion have had it.

• Heart
I would 100% be taking anything the daily mail said with a pinch of salt personally.
Oh I know, but they were reporting about who is rejecting the vaccine and why, and I do know that a lot of women share this concern.. so I don't think it is false.

Oh I know, but they were reporting about who is rejecting the vaccine and why, and I do know that a lot of women share this concern.. so I don't think it is false.
But it’s false if it hasn’t come from anywhere.

Just because a lot of people share the view doesn’t mean it’s correct. I have seen nothing to suggest that the vaccine could affect fertility and someone has posted a link confirming there is no evidence to suggest it does.

I have a personal anecdote about this but I won’t go into detail as it’s not my business to share someone else’s experience. I just know that in this particular case it was dismissed as just a coincidence, they were going through a stressful time in their life and as far as I know it was never recognised as a result of the vaccine (maybe it wasn’t, I don’t know I’m not a doctor). I know the risks are higher with covid generally but vaccines still freak me out to this day just because of what happened back then with the person I knew. I’ll still get it, I’m just venting some worries
I think it's totally fair to scrutinise things, but I don't think anecdotes are that helpful. If the doctors looking after the person you knew didn't think that their symptoms were attributed to the vaccine then I think it is unlikely. We can all confuse coincidence with something causing another thing. I have heard so many people say they won't take the flu vaccine because it "gave them the flu", which is impossible. It's just that they were unlucky to get the flu (or usually a cold, because people don't know the difference) at the same time as the got the vaccine. Or the vaccine might have made them feel a bit rubbish for a day or so, which is just a sign of the immune system working, but again that is not the same as the flu.

but I also think the daily mail does attract a *certain* type of audience... no offence to anyone who does, my mum reads it :rolleyes: but I would say on the whole its readers (based on its scaremongering headlines) would be more likely to be skeptical imo

But it’s false if it hasn’t come from anywhere.

Just because a lot of people share the view doesn’t mean it’s correct. I have seen nothing to suggest that the vaccine could affect fertility and someone has posted a link confirming there is no evidence to suggest it does.
I know it doesn't prove anything. I haven't said anywhere that it is correct. I think it is very harsh of people judging people for not wanting to put chemicals in their body because of concerns. Yes, I do worry more than the average person.. I always have. When I've had time to do a bit more research I probably will end up having the jab, as it is probably just hearsay like you say!

Reactions: 1
I know it doesn't prove anything. I haven't said anywhere that it is correct. I think it is very harsh of people judging people for not wanting to put chemicals in their body because of concerns. Yes, I do worry more than the average person.. I always have. When I've had time to do a bit more research I probably will end up having the jab, as it is probably just hearsay like you say!
"put chemicals in their body" .... salt is a chemical, do you ever eat that?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.