To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am part of the Novavax trial so may have already had the injection (or a saline placebo). There are about 15,000 people in the UK currently undergoing this trial. I had a period of 2 hours of chills as a side effect after the vaccine. Thats all. Been absolutely fine since. I have the second vaccine next week.

Novavax is very similar to the Oxford vaccine but a few months behind so data won't be out for a good few weeks yet. It is not an mRNA vaccine.

We have been told as well if we are offered a different vaccine they will unbind the trial for us so we know what we have already had.

These vaccines have not been rushed. Hundreds of Billions of pounds have been poured into these vaccines, they have been running stages concurrently when there would normally be a year or twos gap between as they secure funding for the next stage. All these problems have been eliminated by the sheer amount of money being poured in.

It is up to an individual, but I do think businesses, airlines etc... could refuse you access if you do not have a vaccination.
Thank you for taking part 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The way I understand how the vaccine works (I’m not a scientist so I prob get this totally wrong) So they expose you to a mild dose of Covid, and how your body recognises Covid is almost like identifying a certain shape (Covid is shaped like a key say) so this key shape enters your body and your body starts to recognise it’s a key shape and your antibodies kick in.
But what happens if you catch Covid naturally is that this key shape enters your body and your body doesn’t recognise it-but it reproduces at like mega warp speed (more than any other virus) and it starts trying to make antibodies but your body can’t keep up. This all happens in the ‘incubation period) but by this time your body is full of it and is ‘overloaded’ and it all depends on your body how you then deal with it.
But the vaccine slowly introduces your body to the virus and therefore can cope.
I have no idea if I’ve explained that right but that’s how i have understood it. I don’t know if anyone can explain it better or correct me if I’m wrong.
But as I said before I do worry about the effects on fertility.
The pharmacological journals describe it as being the first of its kind because it’s not like any other vaccine where they inject a mild or dead form of a virus into a person , it’s a mRNA vaccine . mRNA vaccines work by introducing a molecule into the body which instructs cells to build a disease-specific antigen and the antigen is then recognised by the immune system which produces antibodies to fight the real thing

Reactions: 5
What I don't understand is why it needs to be (looking like it will be) mandatory. Why can't the people in the 'at risk' groups be vaccinated and me choose not to accept it because i have no underlying illness and I'm very young.... Therefore if I get it I get a mild flu if anything and our grandparents are all protected and safe so I can go about normal life...

• Heart
What I don't understand is why it needs to be (looking like it will be) mandatory. Why can't the people in the 'at risk' groups be vaccinated and me choose not to accept it because i have no underlying illness and I'm very young.... Therefore if I get it I get a mild flu if anything and our grandparents are all protected and safe so I can go about normal life...
Ive not seen anywhere that suggests it will be mandatory

Reactions: 7
I wouldn’t say I’m anti-vax as I’ve had vaccines before and I definitely think there’s a place for them absolutely. I don’t believe in the theories that they cause autism (just my opinion) or they will put a tracking device in them - isn’t the nhs Covid app doing that to us!
Thats not just an opinion btw - there's literally no scientific evidence to support the vaccines and autism link.

Reactions: 11
Ive not seen anywhere that suggests it will be mandatory
With a growing list of possible companies and countries requiring it of you for entry I think declining it may adversely affect your life. So although not mandatory in the line up for it or be shot kind of way (sorry for the dramatics) it is looking like it might be 'mandatory' if you want to keep living a free life....

I just didn't understand why a vaccination programme for the ones who are specifically at risk rather than everyone wouldn't be more appropriate

• Heart
The pharmacological journals describe it as being the first of its kind because it’s not like any other vaccine where they inject a mild or dead form of a virus into a person , it’s a mRNA vaccine . mRNA vaccines work by introducing a molecule into the body which instructs cells to build a disease-specific antigen and the antigen is then recognised by the immune system which produces antibodies to fight the real thing
Oh I don’t know about that, I don’t read science stuff. All I know is what I (think) I understand Iv been told by a dear friend who used to work with viruses. I have no idea about science or if what Iv been told is correct.I’m as blind as everyone else and still need to look into it further.
I’m still abit undecided on the whole thing. I’m pregnant too which makes me even more anxious about the whole thing.

Oh I don’t know about that, I don’t read science stuff. All I know is what I (think) I understand Iv been told by a dear friend who used to work with viruses. I have no idea about science or if what Iv been told is correct.I’m as blind as everyone else and still need to look into it further.
I’m still abit undecided on the whole thing. I’m pregnant too which makes me even more anxious about the whole thing.
I’m a bit of swot lol . I loved genetics at Uni and really wanted to do a masters in it but got sick of education after the 3 years and stayed with nursing 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
That is super interesting, thanks for explaining! Made me do some googling around RNA vaccines and they sound like incredible medical science.

This is quite a good read on the development of the vaccine (and history of mRNA research) if you're interested!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I am part of the Novavax trial so may have already had the injection (or a saline placebo). There are about 15,000 people in the UK currently undergoing this trial. I had a period of 2 hours of chills as a side effect after the vaccine. Thats all. Been absolutely fine since. I have the second vaccine next week.

Novavax is very similar to the Oxford vaccine but a few months behind so data won't be out for a good few weeks yet. It is not an mRNA vaccine.

We have been told as well if we are offered a different vaccine they will unbind the trial for us so we know what we have already had.

These vaccines have not been rushed. Hundreds of Billions of pounds have been poured into these vaccines, they have been running stages concurrently when there would normally be a year or twos gap between as they secure funding for the next stage. All these problems have been eliminated by the sheer amount of money being poured in.

It is up to an individual, but I do think businesses, airlines etc... could refuse you access if you do not have a vaccination.
About that last part, would that not be discrimination because some people are unable to take the vaccine even if they wanted to & so they will feel extremely alienated from society?
I worry this will happen, am I being paranoid or is it a possibility?
Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
About that last part, would that not be discrimination because some people are unable to take the vaccine even if they wanted to & so they will feel extremely alienated from society?
I would think there will be medical exemptions. Yellow fever vaccination is mandatory for some areas of South America but you can have an allergy to that vaccine.

Reactions: 2
Right now no. As I’m pregnant and I don’t think any trials have been done for pregnant ladies, but afterwards yes , I’m young and healthy but have lots of vulnerable family who I want to help protect

I think it´s a bit ignorant to say that because you are healthy you shouldt have to get the vaccine. You can still transfer it to people that are at risk and they still can get sick even if they had the vaccine but the wont be critical ill. Also their are people who can´t get the vaccine because the have an illness.

If you dont want it, you dont want it but dont say because youre healthy you shouldnt have to.

Reactions: 9
I think it´s a bit ignorant to say that because you are healthy you shouldt have to get the vaccine. You can still transfer it to people that are at risk and they still can get sick even if they had the vaccine but the wont be critical ill. Also their are people who can´t get the vaccine because the have an illness.

If you dont want it, you dont want it but dont say because youre healthy you shouldnt have to.
AYeah exactly, and just being young, healthy etc is no guarantee anyway. I know 2 people, both healthy in their early 30s who got it badly during first lockdown and are still having after effects now

Reactions: 3
Exemptions will be available if it is contra indicated I am sure. This will probably be done via a dr or consultant, not a self exemption like masks. This happens with all vaccines. A small minority cannot have the vaccine but they are protected by the "herd". With the amount saying they do not want the vaccine it will be a struggle to get herd immunity through the vaccine I think. And this then cascades down to the most vulnerable still not able to go out and have freedom as we do not have the required numbers vaccinated.

My argument is, if you are able to have the vaccine have it for yourself and tour community. If you want things to get back to normal quickly then we all need to play our part and get the vaccine. This is why I volunteered for the trial. I want out of this shitshow ASAP.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Exactly. This is how herd immunity works. Vaccinate the people who are able to have it so that the people who can't take the vaccination don't need to worry.

Its one of the dangers of the anti vax movement - children who are immunocompromised could be going to school with kids whose parents didn't vaccinate them against things like measles.

Exactly. This is how herd immunity works. Vaccinate the people who are able to have it so that the people who can't take the vaccination don't need to worry.

Its one of the dangers of the anti vax movement - children who are immunocompromised could be going to school with kids whose parents didn't vaccinate them against things like measles.
I feel like the last few years there was a big problem with mumps and measles returning due to this?

I might be wrong though! My brother has had his MMR but still got mumps last year (he’s 20) as it’s not 100% (like all vaccines.) Luckily he wasn’t very poorly though, just quite funny to look at for a few days.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.