TiffanyThinks #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was just rewatching the old video mentioned earlier when she met with her surgeon and the one directly following it. That is the Tiffany I remember connecting with and wanting to support in her journey, she was so raw and honest.

But her apologising to her supporters for the bad news emphasised again how much videotaping and having subs changes her perspective, thinking that there's an expectation on her to only have good news to share with her audience. Having even more supporters now and trying to polish her videos, I fear she feels even more pressure to have a happy ending? Or perhaps, on the converse side, if she's received good news (see below), she's afraid to have her viewers up and leave her now? That could well be a possibility too seeing as how focused she's become on increasing her subscriber level.

She reminded me in that video how her surgeon spoke in plain language to her, drew his chair close, and drew a diagram. I have no doubt he spoke equally plainly and in "relatable" (her word) language to ensure she understood this last time, too.

I also went back to look at the studies I found on "watch and wait" for colorectal cancer.

I think what Tiffany might have failed to communicate fully to us is that based on the scans, examination and biopsies, she achieved a "complete clinical response" ("cCr") or pCr (pathological complete response [biopsy confirmed]) following neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy. I am unclear how this occurred when prior scans showed no change in her status only 4 months ago following the chemo and radiotherapy, yet now they might.

I hope this research is okay to share here for educational purposes under Fair Use exception.

Firstly, it's important to appreciate that a cCr or pCr are not black and white, perhaps this is where Tiffany's confusion lies as it's not as clear cut as doing a boomerang dance singing "I'm cancer free, I'm cancer-free" at this point. It IS complicated, and I've only touched the surface, being a nonmedical layperson. I think, like with any cancer, you're always looking at survival rates and relapse rates. It's not "cancer free" or "cured", But a cCr or cPr is pretty darn good news!

A "watch and wait" approach appears to be premised on achieving a cCr or pCr first though. There is still significant debate and controversy in a watch and wait approach, so it is not established science or established protocol.

The following reviews a "watch and wait" approach in comparison to surgical resection for LARC ("locally advanced rectal cancer"), the full articles can be read in the links provided. Perhaps any medically knowledgeable people can weigh in on this too.

"According to the available data, from 10%-25% of patients with LARC achieve a pathologic complete response (pCR) - defined as the absence of viable residual tumour cells in the surgical specimen - after neoadjuvant treatment..."

And further down:

"Subsequent studies carried out by other groups support these data, as shown in a recent systematic review[12] that evaluated a total of 23 studies (867 patients), concluding that there are no significant differences in OS [overall survival] and local recurrence between surgically-treated patients and those managed with the watch and wait protocol. However, larger prospective studies are needed to confirm long-term outcomes and to resolve controversies surrounding the selection of candidates for watch and wait, the accurate determination of cCR, and the optimal follow-up protocols."

And:

"Patients in whom the watch-and-wait strategy was adopted exhibited a higher rate of local recurrences (14.9% vs. 1.1%), but most (85.7%) were salvageable. Three-year non-regrowth local recurrence-free survival was comparable between the two groups (98% vs. 98%, P = 0.506), but the watch-and-wait group presented an obvious advantage in terms of sphincter preservation, especially in patients with a tumor located within 3 cm of the anal verge (89.7% vs. 41.2%, P < 0.001). Three-year distant metastasis-free survival (88% in the watch-and-wait group vs. 89% in the surgical group, P = 0.874), 3-year disease-specific survival (99% vs. 96%, P = 0.643) and overall survival (99% vs. 96%, P = 0.905) were also comparable between the two groups, although a higher rate (35.7%) of distant metastases was observed in patients who exhibited local regrowth in the watch-and-wait group."

A later prospective cohort study of 84 subjects in China compared a watch and wait group ("WW") to a surgery group and found that:

"There was no significant difference in the recurrence and metastasis rate between the two groups."

They concluded:

"The WW strategy is a feasible treatment option in patients with cCR after NCRT [neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy]. Surgery may not bring benefits to these cCR patients."

And an earlier meta analysis discussed:

"One of the controversial issues of this pathological entity is sphincter preservation, which is still impossible in up to 50% of low rectum tumor cases, causing a negative impact on the physical and emotional sphere as well as on the quality of life of patients and even their families [1, 3, 6].

The WW strategy is increasingly accepted as it allows organ preservation and avoids surgical morbidity and mortality; however, despite the large number of publications, it is under constant evaluation and continues to be considered a controversial topic [9, 14,15,16,17]."

"Oncological results in operated patients with pathological complete response were similar to those in patients under a watch and wait strategy mediating a systematic and personalized evaluation. Surgery can safely be deferred in clinical complete responders."

There may be more other published studies that I'm not aware of, I'm sure there are, as I haven't done an extensive search.

So, while I may still have some gaps in my understanding, this information may at least explain WHAT they're doing if I still may be uncertain as to the why or how she matched with this approach, given what we know/don't know about her past treatment response. But, it does appear from the research that a fair # of patients with LARC DO achieve cCr or pCr following initial treatment. I'd have to dig further into the weeds to parse out if any patient profiles lend themselves more to this; I did read that younger age is not a beneficial factor to better outcome.

But this may at least explain where we're at today with no treatment or surgery and only more scans and biopsies scheduled.
What and interesting read and so so imformative,I hope Tiffany has read this,makes so much sense..thank you for taking the time to research this

Reactions: 3
She would often start to talk about the cancer and then almost immediately brush it aside saying "I don't want to think/talk about it". I believe she may have heard bad news along the lines of terminal/palliative care....but she believes her prayers and manifestation wishes will save her and she is secretly convinced her "cure" will be achieved this Christmas, which explains her early fixation on Xmas. She is so convinced that there will be a miracle that she's talking about driving again and going back to work etc. I of course, like everyone else here wish her the best in terms of health and recovery...but I am really scared for her and her family especially the dear mom.
She truly has an amazing family and my heart breaks for her mum. Like many I’m worried about Tiffany, that’s why I get so frustrated by her.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
We're due an update this evening, aren't we? Let's hope there's some clarity this time so that all of us can get our lives back (!)

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I hadn't thought of that, but you'd think a 2nd opinion on such unexpected results and a radical treatment departure from major surgery to simply doing nothing would have automatically prompted a 2nd opinion from someone outside her "team" to objectively review all the results and proposed next step.

Good point.
People kept telling her to get a 2nd opinion and she announced to us that she will pursue that. But she didn't. This was soon after the vlog about seeing the surgeon.

Reactions: 5
I do wish her the best.
Thank you for this Forum. It's healthy to vent :)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm going to be so mad if she doesn't say anything today and instead talks about Christmas and gardening. I'm guessing the title would be (Speaking with the Surgeon *Cancer*) and a thumbnail of her crying or holding her head. So the video will start with her driving to the hospital with Amma, talking about the we got this merch, I'm guessing, pink and blue!!. Then an *emotional* sped-up
hospital montage with cringe music in the back. Then it's coming back home, making egg toast and coffee, waiting for darling Matt to come home. Playing a micro-second of the surgeon talking on the phone with only the words "no evidence of cancer" heard then it's confused rambling with "we got this" shoved in every few minutes and then oh Matt is here!!! And cut to cooking with darling Matt, how much would you pay for this, and don't forget to subscribe and I'll see you on Sunday for another confusing vlog you absolute twats have fun digging your brains out trying to make sense of my case. Love you my loving Tiffany Thinks family 💙💙💙.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I'm going to be so mad if she doesn't say anything today and instead talks about Christmas and gardening. I'm guessing the title would be (Speaking with the Surgeon *Cancer*) and a thumbnail of her crying or holding her head. So the video will start with her driving to the hospital with Amma, talking about the we got this merch, I'm guessing, pink and blue!!. Then an *emotional* sped-up
hospital montage with cringe music in the back. Then it's coming back home, making egg toast and coffee, waiting for darling Matt to come home. Playing a micro-second of the surgeon talking on the phone with only the words "no evidence of cancer" heard then it's confused rambling with "we got this" shoved in every few minutes and then oh Matt is here!!! And cut to cooking with darling Matt, how much would you pay for this, and don't forget to subscribe and I'll see you on Sunday for another confusing vlog you absolute twats have fun digging your brains out trying to make sense of my case. Love you my loving Tiffany Thinks family 💙💙💙.
Thing is we joke, but I'm genuinely stressed AF for her. Which begs the question, if so many strangers can be, why is she not for herself!?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thing is we joke, but I'm genuinely stressed AF for her. Which begs the question, if so many strangers can be, why is she not for herself!?
Because you only know a third of the story. She's not telling you everything.

Because you only know a third of the story. She's not telling you everything.
I just don't agree. I personally think she's very ill and in complete denial. I'd say time will tell, but I'm not sure she we will ever know, I think it's probable she'll just dissapear off socials one day.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I just don't agree. I personally think she's very ill and in complete denial. I'd say time will tell, but I'm not sure she we will ever know, I think it's probable she'll just dissapear off socials one day.
I agree with you both. I don't think she is telling us everything but I do think she's very ill. I too think ahe might just disappear.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
😂 😂 😂
'and don't forget to subscribe and I'll see you on Sunday for another confusing vlog you absolute twats have fun digging your brains out trying to make sense of my case.'

• Haha
She fills everyone with anxiety. I get stomach ache around the time she posts her videos.

• Sick
Does she usually post at a specific time? It's weird, I've always felt empathy for cancer influencers but never fear, with Tiffany I feel genuine fear. I think it's because I have this horrible sense that she's going to cost herself her life, potentially avoidably.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Does she usually post at a specific time? It's weird, I've always felt empathy for cancer influencers but never fear, with Tiffany I feel genuine fear. I think it's because I have this horrible sense that she's going to cost herself her life, potentially avoidably.
Yes she posts between 7pm and 7.15pm European time. So 6pm - 6.15pm UK time.
I've never felt such awful feels with any other cancer influencer. She annoys me to no end (no other cancer youtuber ever annoyed me) but I'm still scared for her life.

• Heart
If I was her, I'd at least promote the pink 'We Got This' in support of Breast Cancer Awareness (and donate some of the proceeds!) and she could have visited a MacMillan Cancer Morning for her usual coffee and cake in this week's upload...

• Heart
If I was her, I'd at least promote the pink 'We Got This' in support of Breast Cancer Awareness (and donate some of the proceeds!) and she could have visited a MacMillan Cancer Morning for her usual coffee and cake in this week's upload...
I feel she does not want to be associated with cancer beyond the youtube. People in the comments mentioned that the youtuber Vanessa Lopes (stage 3 colorectal, in remission) reached out to Tiffany but Tiffany apparently ingored it. She does not want to know about her cancer and about people who have gone through it. I guess that would burst her bubble of denial.

• Wow
I feel she does not want to be associated with cancer beyond the youtube. People in the comments mentioned that the youtuber Vanessa Lopes (stage 3 colorectal, in remission) reached out to Tiffany but Tiffany apparently ingored it. She does not want to know about her cancer and about people who have gone through it. I guess that would burst her bubble of denial.
Maybe, I did occasionally see her reach out to Monique (don't know if I'm spelling that right) and I believe I've previously seen her liking NNL's posts but that's a while ago, maybe the more serious her diagnosis got she retracted

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Yes. She gives the impression that she's repulsed by other cancer patients. The times when she didn't want to sit in the same waiting area with other cancer patients. Imagine how they felt. Her looking at them then walking away crying.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.