Tiffany Thinks #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Matt mentioned "the colon thing wasn't there last time" "the removal of the colon that's an extra part [of the surgery]"

So the surgery sounds more extensive, no? (I ask this knowing that Matt is an unreliable information narrator.)
That is so very strange, Long ago she said the cancer was in her rectum and colon. A pelvic exenteration for locally advanced colorectal cancer includes removal of the colon. She has known about the pelvic exenteration since May, Did he not know until Friday what that involves?

Reactions: 15
Just thinking that months ago the tumour was almost inoperable and only the top surgeon agreed to attempt it to save her life. Now that it's grown, wouldn't the surgery be even more complicated? Yet again, we know nothing. She did not have to film all that to update us. The relevant information is barely 3 minutes long.
I think that is the sole reason why there is first a biopsy. The surgeon want to take a look what the status is and make a educated decision about a possible surgery.

Reactions: 8
That is so very strange, Long ago she said the cancer was in her rectum and colon. A pelvic exenteration for locally advanced colorectal cancer includes removal of the colon. She has known about the pelvic exenteration since May, Did he not know until Friday what that involves?
Yes! I thought the colon was already included in the list of organs to be removed. Perhaps it wasn't considering that her cancer is a low rectal adenocarcinoma? Perhaps her colon was not involved previously?

They definitely know what PE involves.

Reactions: 9
Yes! I thought the colon was already included in the list of organs to be removed. Perhaps it wasn't considering that her cancer is a low rectal adenocarcinoma? Perhaps her colon was not involved previously?

They definitely know what PE involves.
I feel some empathy for what Matt is going through right now if he didn’t know until Friday that the colon, rectum and anus have to be removed.

Reactions: 2
Can someone please tell me what this surgery will involve - no links to medical journals please - what organs will be removed, reconstruction, etc?

Reactions: 6
i don't think a cancer surgeon is taking direction by request from his patients. He is doing it because he feels it is necessary to proceed.
I agree. The last thing surgeons need are surprises when they finally operate. The more info the better.

Reactions: 6
I feel some empathy for what Matt is going through right now if he didn’t know until Friday that the colon, rectum and anus have to be removed.
There is no way he didn't know! He was with her at that meeting with the surgeon more than half a year ago. The surgeon explained pelvic exenteration to them. They both were aware. After the meeting, Tiffany told Matt that 'her whole life will change' and Matt agreed. Matt even tried to explain a few things to Tiffany. They both knew.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Can someone please tell me what this surgery will involve - no links to medical journals please - what organs will be removed, reconstruction, etc?
This is a good resource. You can browse what’s involved here.

Organs to be removed (a couple of them could be preserved):
  • Cervix
  • Fallopian tubes
  • Ovaries
  • Uterus
  • Vagina
  • Anus
  • Bladder
  • Colon
  • Rectum
  • Urethra

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
As an Oncology nurse I frequently have to do new patient teaching on chemotherapy and surgery. I can tell you that Tiffany and her family’s reactions after meeting with the surgeon are quite common. The amount of information patients receive is overwhelming and most shut down after about ten minutes with a blank look on their faces. Additionally, the diagnosis of cancer/surgery sends most patients into the Kubler Ross stages of grief, the most common of which is denial. I have had patients cry, laugh, get angry or just go completely blank during the teaching. Patients and caregivers have to be given time and continuing education in order to process their diagnosis and treatment course. For those outside of the cancer arena their behaviour may appear bizarre. But for those of us who deal with this everyday their response is completely normal.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
People were speculating on here that Tiffany received good news a few days ago b/c her sister posted about getting pizza and a cake.
Now that we know what really happened I find this strange. I can understand wanting comfort food after learning that the tumor grew and that she needs surgery, but I still find it bizarre that she would post this online. It's not a happy occasion.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
As an Oncology nurse I frequently have to do new patient teaching on chemotherapy and surgery. I can tell you that Tiffany and her family’s reactions after meeting with the surgeon are quite common. The amount of information patients receive is overwhelming and most shut down after about ten minutes with a blank look on their faces. Additionally, the diagnosis of cancer/surgery sends most patients into the Kubler Ross stages of grief, the most common of which is denial. I have had patients cry, laugh, get angry or just go completely blank during the teaching. Patients and caregivers have to be given time and continuing education in order to process their diagnosis and treatment course. For those outside of the cancer arena their behaviour may appear bizarre. But for those of us who deal with this everyday their response is completely normal.
Tiffany told us many times that she does not listen to her doctors and does not do her own research about her cancer. Yes she is in denial but at the same time does not make any effort to learn about her diagnosis. She is not your regular patient (she herself believes that she is a special unique case). She has had this cancer for over a year, she has had the time to familiarise herself with it. She has been given information over and over again.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Thx this is excellent information. The reason we are confused by Tiffany and family’s reaction is that she was told about PE in May, and in June or July she got a letter from one of her doctors explaining it. Then she met with this surgeon in August. We have discussed here the possibility that Tiffany appears to be in serious/pathological denial and that Matt seemed a bit in denial also, but seeing them confused today after all those other visits and the letter was shocking.

Reactions: 12
It is quite common for patients not to delve deeply into their diagnosis. That is a very scary trip to make and many are not mentally or emotionally up to it. Again I say that to those on the outside of the cancer arena their behaviour may seem bizarre but to those who see it every day it isn’t.

Reactions: 11
She should have done the surgery in September when was she was offered. By November she would have already recovered enough to be at home and prepare for Christmas.
But she imagined that she's cancer free and chose to wait and now she will most likely have the surgery in mid-December.
In my opinion the surgeon Gave her the impression that the surgery was for her mental health. He should’ve done the surgery then and they should’ve pushed for it.

Reactions: 8
Matt is a wet lettuce.
People were speculating on here that Tiffany received good news a few days ago b/c her sister posted about getting pizza and a cake.
Now that we know what really happened I find this strange. I can understand wanting comfort food after learning that the tumor grew and that she needs surgery, but I still find it bizarre that she would post this online. It's not a happy occasion.
I agree! After reading a lot of comments on here, and on her video, lots of people were speculating about this. Many thought it was a sign that there was good news. I personally thought it was an indication of good news. When I am devastated by bad news, food is not on my mind at all, but I know everyone is different. I just think it was odd that her sister put it on her social media, in light of the somber situation. Even if I was in the mood to have cake and pizza, I wouldn’t be up to taking pictures and posting them on Instagram. I know that’s just me, but I think a lot of people are the same way.
This is all so sad. I’m going to rewatch the part in the car where they were all talking about it. When I watched earlier, I went into my usual state of shock and confusion that I experience in her videos. I want to see if any of it makes sense. I haven’t felt quite well ever since watching this video several hours ago.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I watched more of the car chat. I simply cannot fathom how 3 adults could all come out of the same meeting expressing confusion, surprise, etc, etc Did none of them take notes??? And they kept saying it came back! WHat??? The primary tumor never went away per her onc. It grew bigger. And now colon removal is on the table! We never heard any details about her scans either. Any other areas light up- lung, liver, lymph nodes?
The few minutes of T at the end tells me she knows there is no more hiding. She's seriously ill and can't bake, wish or pray this away.
But the Dolt Cult is still praying, chanting "We got this" and otherwise acting idiotic.
Matt mentioned in the car the cancer hasn't spread anywhere else. I assume he means lung, liver etc. The only thing Tiffany mentioned about the scans is that the MRI ,CT and CAT scans all showed growth of the tumor. Matt called it a 'regrowth' which is nonsense. It sounds as if the area in which the tumor grew has now put removing the colon on the table when 8 weeks ago that was not part of the surgical plan.

So, now it gets real (unless of course we've been Punk'd, then ignore this post :).
I write this with tears running down my face, for my 2 fam members w cancer, wondering how I will live, when they are gone.

🙏
Lolaj, I hope your family members can be helped by the recent advances made in cancer treatment, especially the new immunotherapy drugs. I was diagnosed with Stage 3A breast cancer in 2005. Truth be told it was a rough time. One thing that got me through it was a quote from Dr. Susan Love in her book about breast cancer. She said, "Even if you are given a 2 percent chance of survival than do everything you can to be in that 2 percent, because somebody needs to make up that 2 percent".🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.