Things that you are sick of seeing on social media #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is 'defiantly' slowly replacing 'definitely'? They mean two different things, I keep seeing the first frequently being used instead of the latter and I don't understand why.

Reactions: 17
Is 'defiantly' slowly replacing 'definitely'? They mean two different things, I keep seeing the first frequently being used instead of the latter and I don't understand why.
I think people get confused because in some accents (I.E Facebook hun ) that is how itā€™s pronounced šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I think for some it's the phone autocorrecting to defiantly instead of definitely.

I know exactly why this is.

Autocorrect.

People make a garbled attempt at spelling definitely and autocorrect takes them to defiantly pretty much every time.

On the internet, in the days before autocorrect (before using the internet via your phone even) youā€™d see all sorts of horrendous attempts at spelling definitely. Usually ā€œdefinatelyā€. Autocorrect sees definately and changes it to defiantly.

Edit: sorry @emmer_moans you got there well before me šŸ˜„

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Celebs falling over themselves to virtue signal when they still take the massive paychecks from questionable organisations.

Media then being full of articles of such celebs for weeksā€¦

News notifications for every time someone kicks a ball in the World Cup (I know I can disable notifications but why so many news alerts?!)

Reactions: 12
Parents who run entire Instagram accounts dedicated to documenting their childā€™s illness, e.g. cancer. I get the raising awareness aspect but it feels SO exploitative posting photo after photo of your severely ill child, in their hospital bed with tubes up their nose, their hair falling out etc. Let them have some dignity at least.

I'm not sure we need anymore cancer awareness? It's something pretty much everyone is very aware of. It's obviously just for the sympathy vote from these parents.

Reactions: 8
Cannot wait for the elf on the shelf which is about to start very soon šŸ¤„

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
I know exactly why this is.

Autocorrect.

People make a garbled attempt at spelling definitely and autocorrect takes them to defiantly pretty much every time.

On the internet, in the days before autocorrect (before using the internet via your phone even) youā€™d see all sorts of horrendous attempts at spelling definitely. Usually ā€œdefinatelyā€. Autocorrect sees definately and changes it to defiantly.

Edit: sorry @emmer_moans you got there well before me šŸ˜„
It's still incredibly annoying though. If people were to proof read, they'd change it to the correct spelling. Autocorrect shouldn't really be an excuse. I think they simply can't spell in some cases, otherwise they'd see the mistake before moving on to the next word.

It's still incredibly annoying though. If people were to proof read, they'd change it to the correct spelling. Autocorrect shouldn't really be an excuse. I think they simply can't spell in some cases, otherwise they'd see the mistake before moving on to the next word.
Oh believe me, I am a massive bleeping pedant and falling literacy standards amongst adults in this country really annoys me šŸ¤£

I agree they canā€™t spell and they think ā€œdefiantlyā€ is the correct word.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I saw one today on Facebook. The word "use" which was used for the word You. Now in Scotland some dialects do use the word "Yous" as in Are yous going out tonight" In fact some of my hubby's family write yous, but I thought it was funny seeing it written use.

I think text speak started the decline in the English language. Back in the days before smart phones when you had to press the ABC key three times for the letter C and lots of shortened words came in then.

Reactions: 9
Errmm... Tesco, Sainsburys or Asda?! Most supermarkets do home delivery. Surely you know where you like to shop?
Screenshot_20221122_152731_Facebook.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I think people get confused because in some accents (I.E Facebook hun ) that is how itā€™s pronounced šŸ˜†
Coming in the next Duolingo updateā€¦Facebook Hun.

The answer forn99%of posts like this could be Google. Don't know if anyone else uses Nextdoor but that is awful for this
I had to delete Nextdoor, what a load of tit

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Peopleā€™s smart meters with details of how much theyā€™re spending per hour or how it goes up when they turn their heating up etc etc. Itā€™s expensive. Yes. We know. Weā€™re all living through it. Yes. Itā€™s shocking. Unbelievable really. But itā€™s everyone. All of us. Putting it on FB or TikTok or wherever isnā€™t going to change it. Itā€™s not just you. Itā€™s everyone. No one needs to see it. Just like no one needs to see your Christmas tree.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Peopleā€™s smart meters with details of how much theyā€™re spending per hour or how it goes up when they turn their heating up etc etc. Itā€™s expensive. Yes. We know. Weā€™re all living through it. Yes. Itā€™s shocking. Unbelievable really. But itā€™s everyone. All of us. Putting it on FB or TikTok or wherever isnā€™t going to change it. Itā€™s not just you. Itā€™s everyone. No one needs to see it. Just like no one needs to see your Christmas tree.
We donā€™t need a reminder of it, weā€™re all living it.

Reactions: 7
We donā€™t need a reminder of it, weā€™re all living it.
Exactly. Not sure why so many people think theyā€™re the only ones experiencing high cost of living/Christmas etc etc and unless they share it, the rest of us wonā€™t know anything about it šŸ™„

Reactions: 10
It's probably already been said but Christmas trees stuffed with so much shite you can't even see the bleeping tree šŸ˜« also

"FIRE IN THE HOLE" šŸ˜­

Reactions: 11
I know we've mentioned it many times but when you see the slow panning across a set of twinkly lights and decorations on a christmas tree being accompanied by that bleeping "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...." song.
So unoriginal and literally NO ONE cares about your tree!
Yes!!! I canā€™t stand bloody BublĆØ to start with but heā€™s taking the biscuit this year every time I open Instagram Iā€™m bombarded with him.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.