Things that you are sick of seeing on social media #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It is definitely just the SM presentation and saturation of elf on the shelf et al that wind we up. I don’t mind people enjoying their traditions. I’m not that much of a Scrooge 😆 it’s just when SM intensifies it and distills it into a hyper-reality that doesn’t exist and I simply can’t afford (but mainly I begrudge spending money and effort on 🤪). It’s toxic. It exhausts me.

whats a Halloween eve box????!!!! WTAF???

We didn’t even acknowledge Halloween as a child. Barely Easter. Definitely never Valentine’s Day. I’m mid 30s. I can’t be the only one that’s seen these holidays go OTT in the last decade? And then there’s all the other little days in between raising ‘awareness’ or ‘sandwich day’ or whatever bollocks they’re trying to sell.
tit like this. It’s all bragging and nonsense. Easter-get an egg or have a little hunt. Halloween-either go round a few houses or don’t. It’s all got so over the top. And then the Christmas Eve boxes are getting as big as the day itself. Stop it!! My kids got new pyjamas on 24th to wear in the morning. Sometimes 🤣

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 10
- People who share every second of their day or tell you what they might do for the day.

- The stay at home mum as their occupation.

- Anniversary or valentines post saying how lucky they are, how they couldn’t imagine life without them etc, usually accompanied by 15 or so pictures of the couple together

- People who upload a picture off all the birthday or Christmas presents they got neatly arranged on a table. Also parents who upload a picture of the pile of presents they’ve got there kids for Christmas or their birthdays, usually followed with can’t wait to see there faces!

- Overly edited selfies before a night out, so edited it dosnt look like the person anymore.

- When people upload 100+ pictures of there day out. Usually there’s about 30 blurry pictures and multiple pictures of the same thing.

- the “feeling sad” post but then don’t reply to anyone.

- People who feel the need to declare their love for there family or other half on every single post even if it has absolutely no relevance

I just hate social media to be honest
Yes.. the piles of presents posts. 🙄

Reactions: 13
Totally agree with what’s being said about how every day becomes this huge thing. I fully believe social media has directly caused this because of the way people feel the need to show off and one up each other on there. I’m fine with people having what ever traditions they like, it’s the saturation and competing over social media that sours it. People can never just enjoy things anymore. Things that start off as a nice idea turn into a pissing contest on social media. Christmas Eve boxes for example, I can see the appeal. Some new pyjamas, hot chocolate sachet, maybe a new bedtime story. Seems like a lovely way to wind down on Christmas Eve evening. But of course it never stays modest, some kids are getting actual presents included in these boxes now too. Usually cheap Xmas tat that they will never look at again. And chocolate when they’ll be getting loads of chocolate literally tomorrow. It’s all so excessive.

I swear growing up the biggest and most anticipated days of the year were Christmas Day and your own birthday. I got chocolate eggs at Easter but there was no big fanfare like there is today, my kids get money from relatives for Easter. I never got money for Easter! Halloween barely even registered with me as my family weren’t into it at all and I hated dressing up in costumes. Now it feels like you have to “go big” with every little day otherwise your kids are missing out, it’s exhausting to watch and even worse if you participate yourself.

Someone on my social media gave their kid a present and a card because it was their first ever day of school. I get wanting to build confidence in your child, but I feel like doing this kind of thing gives your kid the expectation that they will get a material ‘reward’ for every little thing.

My kids got told I was proud of them along with a big hug on their first day of school. Isn’t that enough???

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Totally agree with what’s being said about how every day becomes this huge thing. I fully believe social media has directly caused this because of the way people feel the need to show off and one up each other. I’m fine with people having what ever traditions they like, it’s the saturation and competing over social media that sours it. People can never just enjoy things anymore. Things that start off as a nice idea turn into a pissing contest on social media. Christmas Eve boxes for example, I can see the appeal. Some new pyjamas, hot chocolate sachet, maybe a new bedtime story. Seems like a lovely way to wind down on Christmas Eve evening. But of course it never stays modest, some kids are getting actual presents included in these boxes now too. Usually cheap Xmas tat that they will never look at again. And chocolate when they’ll be getting loads of chocolate literally tomorrow. It’s all so excessive.

I swear growing up the biggest and most anticipated days of the year were Christmas Day and your own birthday. I got chocolate eggs at Easter but there was no big fanfare like there is today, my kids get money from relatives for Easter. I never got money for Easter! Halloween barely even registered with me as my family weren’t into it at all and I hated dressing up in costumes. Now it feels like you have to “go big” with every little day otherwise your kids are missing out, it’s exhausting to watch and even worse if you participate yourself.

Someone on my social media gave their kid a present and a card because it was their first ever day of school. I get wanting to build confidence in your child, but I feel like doing this kind of thing gives your kid the expectation that they will get a ‘reward’ for every little thing.

My kids got told I was proud of them along with a big hug on their first day of school. Isn’t that enough???
You’ve raised such a good point here. What am I telling my child when all I do is give them STUFF. Not even stuff they want?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I see the taking selfies from a hospital bed has morphed into taking a photo of being put in the ambulance as well.
If you can manage to take a photo of the ambulance do you really need it? I think I need to come of SM I’m turning into my dad.
I actually stopped following Stacy Solomon when Rex was in hospital and she was more concerned with making the hospital room Instagramable and using her sick child for content. Why can't these imbiciles just be parents and stop posting everything on social media

Reactions: 16
Screenshot_20210906-164315_Facebook.jpg
this on this particular group too 🙄🙄 this question gets asked at least every other day about different ages or mix up what time would you let your child do...... and it ends up with 1000s of comments either people judging or arguing. why do the admin keep approving!! Sorry I know I post about this group alot but I have a love hate relationship with it 🤣 some posts are actually funny.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
View attachment 748578this on this particular group too 🙄🙄 this question gets asked at least every other day about different ages or mix up what time would you let your child do...... and it ends up with 1000s of comments either people judging or arguing. why do the admin keep approving!! Sorry I know I post about this group alot but I have a love hate relationship with it 🤣 some posts are actually funny.
Why do people ask this sort of question? I don’t get it, or people buying cleaning products then ask what people use it for? It’s sheer madness

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It is definitely just the SM presentation and saturation of elf on the shelf et al that wind we up. I don’t mind people enjoying their traditions. I’m not that much of a Scrooge 😆 it’s just when SM intensifies it and distills it into a hyper-reality that doesn’t exist and I simply can’t afford (but mainly I begrudge spending money and effort on 🤪). It’s toxic. It exhausts me.

whats a Halloween eve box????!!!! WTAF???

We didn’t even acknowledge Halloween as a child. Barely Easter. Definitely never Valentine’s Day. I’m mid 30s. I can’t be the only one that’s seen these holidays go OTT in the last decade? And then there’s all the other little days in between raising ‘awareness’ or ‘sandwich day’ or whatever bollocks they’re trying to sell.
The elf in the shelf posts on SM fill me with rage..like poster above im not a grinch and i love aĺl things Christmas but this just seems to be an exercise in one upmanship ..look at what a great parent i am! the run up to Christmas is hectic enough without having to think up new mess and ideas to post to fb and insta each day. plus hes a creepy looking thing!

Halloween when i was young didnt really get celebrated...it was only as i got older that pumpkins were even available to buy.
we did occasionally dress up if we were seeing our cousins in half term. These were old dresses my aunt picked up at jumble sales and transformed into a witches outfit. my brother was always a ghost (old sheet with eyes cut out!).
What do you even put in a halloween eve box? 🤣 Are they not gonna get enough sweets on actual halloween ?

its all so excessive

Reactions: 9
Easter trees and Halloween Eve boxes. Seriously why? Im still on the fence about Christmas Eve boxes tbh. Everything has to be so over the top. Hundreds of pounds on every ‘day’. Even fireworks day is now OTT
Absolutely ridiculous a Halloween box. Back in the 90’s you had a bin bag and a plastic mask that I can still smell now.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Absolutely ridiculous a Halloween box. Back in the 90’s you had a bin bag and a plastic mask that I can still smell now.
I still can't open a new bin bag without my mind immediately being taken back to the 90s getting ready to go Halloweening 🤣 I remember one year we had a "party" just a few kids from the street really and my brother (also a kid) sticking bin bags all over the wall in the dining room walls 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
When it’s sunny and someone uploads a pic of their computer at work and puts ‘beer garden this shouldn’t be at work’ 🙄

and when someone is at a beer garden when it’s sunny and takes a pic of their strong bow dark fruit and puts ‘lovely day for it 🍺

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Had no idea Easter/Halloween boxes were a thing, goodness me! I agree with all the "holiday" over-excessiveness and that also annoys me, people calling it a "holiday". "Happy Holiday" was never a thing we said in the UK at Christmas (but now you see it on cards, cushions, duvets...) and how is a one day thing like Valentine's Day a holiday? Ahh, yes, no pumpkins, you carved neeps in my day (turnip). We also called trick or treating, "guising" in Scotland, but it seems everything is Americanised now.

Reactions: 8
and when someone is at a beer garden when it’s sunny and takes a pic of their strong bow dark fruit and puts ‘lovely day for it 🍺
It is annoying, but you’ve just given me an instant cider in the sun craving 🤣 need to go to bed…

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Had no idea Easter/Halloween boxes were a thing, goodness me! I agree with all the "holiday" over-excessiveness and that also annoys me, people calling it a "holiday". "Happy Holiday" was never a thing we said in the UK at Christmas (but now you see it on cards, cushions, duvets...) and how is a one day thing like Valentine's Day a holiday? Ahh, yes, no pumpkins, you carved neeps in my day (turnip). We also called trick or treating, "guising" in Scotland, but it seems everything is Americanised now.
everything is a box these days

Reactions: 5
Don't hate me because im a mum myself but
Those mums who shout from the rooftops that they are busy, busy, busy mums who don't even have time to bathe let alone have a job, but then all of a sudden they seem to find all the time in the world when they start their own 'business' or venture

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.