Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There were so many things that scared me as a child. I was a complete scaredy cat. Probably the weirdest one was sunflowers. I remember running past a house on the corner of our road literally screaming because I thought the sunflowers were going to get me.
I laughed out loud at that.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I’ve just remembered about a school programme about bog lands.....it featured a really well preserved corpse that was found in the bog land (surprisingly enough😆)

It was so strange and creepy looking & I used to freak out thinking it was under the bed or lying in the bed beside me 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The TV show Strange But True (in the U.K.) not sure if anyone remembers it but it was mid 90s and on a Friday night about ghost stories. I wasn’t allowed to watch it by my mum but my dad used to let me, I still remember some of the stories now.

Reactions: 20
I don't know why I was scared of it 🤷‍♀️
View attachment 191113
Hell yes. Wake up early to hear “beeeeeep beep beep beep beep beeeeeep...” and have that in your face.

I also got scared when programmes were interrupted with some voiceover saying they were experiencing technical difficulties and will try to resume the programme as soon as possible.

Reactions: 10
My mum was very glamorous in the 60s and 70s and had a lot of wigs and hairpieces.

I was terrified of the wigs aged about 2 or 3 and would run off shouting 'wiggy' if I saw one not being worn, apparently 🤣 however from when I remember it (about age 4/5) it was the polystyrene heads they sat on I was scared of, not the wigs themselves. Something about blank faces.

I was also v scared of Humphreys (no one under 45 will get this, it was a stripy straw that stole your milk. The 70s were weird times 😂😂).

My son was pretty fearless but was scared silly by a Dr Who episode - the Empty Child (one where the boy with the gasmask on says 'are you my mummy' a lot). He still can't watch it now. To be fair, it is quite scary...

Reactions: 7
The film "The Secret of NiMH" because of that horrible owl thing covered in cob webs.

The film "all dogs go to heaven" - I think the part where he goes to hell.

That Disney film fantasia with the demon on the mountain.

I think I had a lot of issues with the concept of going to hell

Bigfoot - I saw a documentary on channel 5 about it and used to have nightmares about the footage of bigfoot walking through the trees and looking at the camera.

I distinctly recall praying at night and asking God to not let Bigfoot get me 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Crime Watch! After watching people get burgled, raped, strangled, car jacked, kidnapped they chime in with - don't have nightmares 🤣🥴😳 the ones in the 90s were the worst I swear!

Also the program 999 rescue (I think it was called) with Michael Burke used to scare me to death.

The animated cartoon Animal Farm

Brothers Grimm fairy stories! I must dig them out for my youngest ready to frighten him to death too 🤣🤣

The storyline in prisoner cell block H where they got trapped underground gave me sweaty palms and nightmares. I shouldn't have been watching it at that time of night but my nana used to let me😄
There was a 999 where a girl got her hair stuck in a swimming pool filter/pump in a leisure centre, I remember the life guard saying “I was taking 2 breaths one for me and one for her”. Haven’t let my kids swim with their hair down ever!

And London’s Burning! There was an episode where a boy kicked a football into a substation and his sister went to get it. I seem to vaguely remember seeing the “body” and smoke. Terrifying.

• Wow
  • Sad
I watched it online again a year or two ago and even though I now know it was a fake it still petrified me and I slept with the lights on for a week!
Haha we did too and I had to tell my husband to switch it off as it was scaring me. I am the wuss of the house though, we watched IT with the older two and my girls were in hysterics of how much I hid my face

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The theme tune to Panorama

Bucks Fizz song - land of make believe

The Stranglers song- Golden Brown

A couple of books: Childen of the Dust (nuclear war) Grinny (aliens)

Saddam Hussein in the early 90s/ Gulf Crisis - I was convinced her would start world war 3 (see above)

The witch in the Ladybird classic version of Rapunzel - the dad getting caught in the witches garden 😨

An episode of the Moomins where the snow queen comes (I think?)

Reactions: 11
I've always had a crazy phobia of ventriloquist dummies, porcelain dolls and the like. I used to be terrified of the dress maker's dummy my mum had in her bedroom.

Even now I look away/shut my eyes if a ventriloquist dummy comes on TV or something.

I'm such a weirdo.
same here..i also hate clowns.
I put mine down to some awful fisher price jack in a box that i was bought as a child. it was truely the stuff of nightmares ! 😱
i really wonder what was going through the designers head hell and why they thought this would be a great toy for a toddler !!
you might not wanna look @Holly Golightly

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
The Bee Gees.
They still do a bit?
The beards and high singing they just looked and sounded creepy to me

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Saddam Hussein in the early 90s/ Gulf Crisis - I was convinced her would start world war 3 (see above)

The witch in the Ladybird classic version of Rapunzel - the dad getting caught in the witches garden 😨

omg how wierd i was only telling my kids the other day about an episode of the moomins that terrified me as a kid..where theyre looking out the window and some being gradually came closer and closer ..it was really sinister!
to be fair the girl human character in the moomins also freaked me out ..i think its because they have no mouth!
i looked it up ..its called lady of the cold !

• Haha
The TV show Strange But True (in the U.K.) not sure if anyone remembers it but it was mid 90s and on a Friday night about ghost stories. I wasn’t allowed to watch it by my mum but my dad used to let me, I still remember some of the stories now.
i was quite the opposite..i loved this !

• Heart
I was quite a fearless child in fact I think im more scared of things now as an adult but the film The Witches honestly scared the crap out of me as a child. The part where they take their faces off especially the grand high witch was just too much for young me even now im not keen on the film

Reactions: 15

Oh god, I was terrified of the Ladybird classic version of Rumplestiltskin. Used to creep me the eff out!

Reactions: 9