Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This scene

Plus the monster in the closet in ghost busters, and Dr Doom scene in Roger Rabbit.

I also was terrified of the thin man who was in one of those educational programmes you'd watch at school. My mum had to go in and tell them I was not to watch it anymore.
The Boy from Space was absolutely horrific!! I used to have nightmares about the Thin Man coming to get me!!

The Superman II baddies were pretty terrifying too, especially when they were trapped in that rectangle thing and let loose in space!!

Reactions: 4
There were so many things that scared me as a child. I was a complete scaredy cat. Probably the weirdest one was sunflowers. I remember running past a house on the corner of our road literally screaming because I thought the sunflowers were going to get me.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The Boy from Space was absolutely horrific!! I used to have nightmares about the Thin Man coming to get me!!

The Superman II baddies were pretty terrifying too, especially when they were trapped in that rectangle thing and let loose in space!!
My thing was that he was under the bed and was going to drag me out. I still as an adult can't sleep with a foot hanging off the bed and I hate weird jerky walks that you see in horror films

• Wow
Reactions: 3
hahaha don’t leave me hanging like that! Tell me! 😂
OK, apologies to anyone not wanting a ghost story

When I was about 15/16 I acquired a very large, ornate old mirror. Can't remember exactly where from, all I know is that my dad got it last minute from an auction. It was the type of mirror that was free standing as it was so heavy (long before they were a thing on instagram) we all used to joke it was cursed, that the carvings on it were demon markings etc. Usual dramatic Kids imagination.

It was Christmas eve and I was sat in front of this mirror getting ready to go to a party. My mother was in the bathroom and I was calling across to her chatting, as you do. We were the only people in the house. My brother and dad had already gone on ahead to the party.

I was curling my hair day dreaming into the mirror, and you know when you kind of have like a mini out of body experience, everything goes quiet but your not even aware of it because it's so subtle? I was looking directly at my reflection, but I could see a shape behind me in the mirror out of the corner of my eye.. the shape resembled my mother - petite, long dark hair past the shoulders, wearing a cream blouse of some sort, for a split second I thought it was her so looked directly at the shape. The image in the mirror seemed to move closer to me in mirror and I could then see the face was kind of blacked out but I could still see blurred features that it was a woman. If you have seen The Ring you will know what I mean! And this was way before The Ring, I'd say about 1997ish. (I can't watch that film it makes me feel sick because of my experience)

I spun around thinking it was my mother, nothing was behind me. I stood up with jelly legs and for some reason a really odd fuzzy head like I'd been drinking. I felt like I couldn't speak. I went into the bathroom expecting to see my mother, but she'd gone downstairs.

After I'd wobbled into the bathroom it was like I'd broken the spell. My heart was pounding and I was shaking. I went downstairs and I must have looked like tit because my mum asked me with a very straight face what was wrong... I told her and expected her to laugh (she was a woman who believed strongly in science deffo not ghosts) but she didn't. She looked quite serious and said she'd had a very similar experience at the same age!

To cut an already long story short, about a year after the mirror got smashed and to say 7 years of bad luck has followed would not be an exaggeration. I'd say it's more like 25 years of bad luck 😳👻

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Michael Burke used to scare me, I can't really remember why now but if I was ever up late enough for the news I remember being petrified of him.

Tony Blair. I laugh now because he doesn't phase me, but his face used to scare me so much that some nights I wouldn't sleep because I could picture him & think he was coming to get me.

The demon headmaster, how was that a children's programme???

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Chimneys. I always figured that if Father Christmas could come down them....anything could.
😱
That’s logical. That reminds me, my cousin and I used to look out of the window and one of the houses opposite had this chimney pipe would turn, as soon as it turned our way we would duck.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I've just remembered that Halloween programme BBC1 did years ago, with Sarah Green. They were in a house that was haunted by someone called Pipes. It was on quite early and it was terrifying. I recall the young girl talking in a really horrible voice.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
why did I think this was the make up brand 😕

- Cling film (never got over it)
- ET the film. (Get to duck saying that goblin/child thing was friendly)

- washing lines (never got over it)

- Charles Haughey

- Halloween (anyone remember the live paranormal investigation shows they used to do?) I also hated wearing big bags because of static.

- the school building when everyone was gone home or at the weekend. (I assume I was there for a reason and if not I’ve repressed some amount of tit I’m not bothered unpacking)
Throw in chalk and chalkboards while we’re here, and the free milk cartons 😰 that you KNOW will burst in your bag. Although I did like the strawberry ones so scratch that.

- motorways, also country roads when you had 24 cousins in a car with no seatbelts and you were hitting 80.

- the fact cars had no seatbelts and easily fit a family of 12, Not a fear then but WOW what was that about 😂
I’m going off topic. 😐

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The Scotch tape skeleton man! 'Re-record, not fade away'.

Max Headroom.

Ronald McDonald.

Ghostwatch. Those of a certain age will never, ever forget!

Doing javelin at school after watching 'that' 999 episode.

Weirdly, I was always freaked out by any kind of old-style music video like Reet Petite, Jive Bunny etc.

Coming from a northern mining village, every summer before the holidays, the 'school bobby' used to come and warn us about the dangers of playing on pit tops, accompanied by the big telly being wheeled in to show us a scary video of a kid falling in and dying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The Scotch tape skeleton man! 'Re-record, not fade away'.

Max Headroom.

Ronald McDonald.

Ghostwatch. Those of a certain age will never, ever forget!

Coming from a northern mining village, every summer before the holidays, the 'school bobby' used to come and warn us about the dangers of playing on pit tops, accompanied by the big telly being wheeled in to show us a scary video of a kid falling in and dying.
Ghostwatch, that's it!!!

Reactions: 6
The Moomins used to creep me out massively, especially Little My. I used to think she was going to come and get me in my sleep 😂🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 9
also, sitting in front of a window with my head above the top of the chair / sofa - prime location for being shot?! what was I on as a child?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I used to find The Iron Man really creepy. Also, did anyone watch an animated film called Laputa? That was so weird it used to leave me feeling disturbed and I don't know why. Yet I could watch Gremlins, Critters, Evil Dead, Exorcist, Thriller etc. No problem 🤣😳

Reactions: 2