Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The sound when someone would get a question wrong on who wants to be a millionaire with that aggressive green flashing 😩

I was obsessed with the show when I was a kid but used to cower behind the couch when this happened! 😂
The suspense when they chose they answer was quite scary. Even scarier though was the PlayStation game for you mainly just had Chris Tarrant’s voice. There were some pre-recorded clips and his face would freeze after you chose your answer for it had to load the right answer/wrong answer reaction.

Reactions: 2
The suspense when they chose they answer was quite scary. Even scarier though was the PlayStation game for you mainly just had Chris Tarrant’s voice. There were some pre-recorded clips and his face would freeze after you chose your answer for it had to load the right answer/wrong answer reaction.
YES I HAD THIS GAME!! Oh my god I don’t know why I used to put myself through it I was a child I obviously didn’t know the answers 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Does anyone remember the advert about looking both ways when crossing the road. A young boy crosses and a car sort of just appears from the road? Like it just grows from the tarmac.
That terrified me as a kid 🤮😭
Yes omg! All the road safety adverts used to really scare me. I remember if they were shown at the cinema before the film I used to cover my ears and shut my eyes 😖

The show Thunderbirds. Still does for some reason. I think it’s a mixture of the puppets used and the nature of the show, it’s made in the 50/60s and freaks me out because it’s very isolated as a show in terms of its filming as I imagine the puppets all alone on some island.

Reactions: 4
I grew up on an estate and as long as I could remember, there was black gloss paint which seemed to have been thrown and then dried onto the pissy communal stairs. It seemed to make the shape of a hooded, hunched over figure. It was quite terrifying and still now as and adult dream I am walking up this old stairwell, see the spilt paint figure then running for my life as it materialises into a life form.

Any form of fungus and mould or things such as mushrooms growing in woods or sprouting potatoes.

I think I have said it already, but really old fashioned, in particular black and white cartoons. The ones that feature some anthropomorphic cat like character were especially freaky, we occasionally used to have to spend a very boring weekend at our grandparents as children and my nan would shove us, coats and all into the parlour room of their freezing, cold house to watch such creepy old cartoons on VHS to keep us quiet while my grandad watched the pools in the back room.

Their entire house used to scare me as a child. I sometimes used to go through my nans cookbooks to entertain myself, most of them were those really old recipes usually made from scraps in the 40s or 50s. I came across star gazing pie. I dont know why but I was terrified of the photograph of it, it actually made me feel sick too and became unhealthily fixated on the possibly my nan might cook it for us when we were there that I would work myself up into a frenzy over it. It didnt help that whenever I was naughty my mum used it to her advantage to threaten that she will send me over to my nanas and she will cook me a star gazing pie.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Certain objects in my grandparents house would give me the creeps.

They had an Italia 90 figurine thing which depicted as a man made out of cubes with a football as its head, it had a little sensor on it which would make it sway if you were near it but I found it incredibly creepy.

They had this bizarre coat stand which was a big blue plush dog head with protruding arms where you would hang the coats (combined how creepy some plush animals were back in the 80s when it was possibly made, this thing was spectacularly gharish and horribly strange)

They had an electric fire in the back room with a shelf over it, displaying all the dogs that they had owned which had passed. I was frightened to be in the room alone with any of it because of the way it would click when heating up. I would think it was ghost dogs.

There was a sacred heart of Jesus picture on the wall I didnt like either, it was in the hallway and I always ran past it to go to the toilet. It was like he was following me with his eyes. The picture also had Jesus' hands in 3D they were moulded out of cheap plastic onto him but I convinced myself as a child he was a man that got stuck into a picture.

They also owned really bizarre things like really old clay tankards with faces on and a collection of Toby jugs. They also had these porcelain baby clown figures which had soft bodies and wore satin. As cute as they looked they seemed really sinister.

Christmas there still is scary even as an adult. It is tacky and like something from a sickly sweet horror film. She has a big thing for "moving decorations" - badly animated Santas screaming Ho Ho Ho, plush dogs swaying from side to side singing lonely this christmas or a plush santa pulling his pants down exposing his arse if you so much go near it. No shitting you, my nan must have accumulated a collection over the past 3 decades amounting to about 200 of them. She loves them and rolls them out year after year lining them all up in her parlour room. It was scary then and it is equally scary now.

Last edited:
Ferris wheels at funfairs. I will go on many rides but not a big wheel, nope.
My dad took me on one when I was little and for some reason our carriage was faulty and kept swaying really fast. I was so scared. Will not go on one ever.

This museum at Wigan Pier where it was like this mocked up coal mine, it was darkz had creepy figures and smelt funny. I cried all the way through.

Ferris wheels at funfairs. I will go on many rides but not a big wheel, nope.
My dad took me on one when I was little and for some reason our carriage was faulty and kept swaying really fast. I was so scared. Will not go on one ever.

This museum at Wigan Pier where it was like this mocked up coal mine, it was darkz had creepy figures and smelt funny. I cried all the way through.
OMG i went there with the school in 1994! Is it still there? Loved it and there was a mock up Victorian classroom too

I had a dream when I was little about a half centaur/half scary nun in my living room, so I always had a weird fear of nuns and centaurs. 😂

I was also really germaphobic and wouldn't share any food or drink. Someone asking for a sip of my drink or one of my crisps would cause abject terror.

• Wow
The Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Still hate the look of him now. I used to run the mile to school just in case he came around that area with his sweets cart! haha!

Wtf are the wheelers? They’re terrifying!
safety videos like the pylon boy were terrifying. There were also ones were boys drowned in a quarry, in slurry, in a canal etc.

but now I’m an adult I don’t even understand the pylon one- they’re not live, are they?
Yes they are live 33kv

OMG i went there with the school in 1994! Is it still there? Loved it and there was a mock up Victorian classroom too
Not sure if its there or not now but i think i must have gone in 1994 ish...year 4 i think? The classroom was funny as my teacher got called a jezzebelle for wearing rings and just remember my teacher going "she called me jezzebelle!" When we were discussing it back at school.
The old coal mine scared me, it was so dark and smelly.
I seem to remember most of us buying a womble mask and messing around on the coach with them.

• Haha
I seem to remember an episode of Casualty back in the 90's, where this boy's family were killed in a car crash. I think this included his parents and Grandmother or maybe Grandfather. Either way he only had one surviving grandparent. Does this ring any bells? I remember finding it upsetting at the time.

When I was round about 9/10 years old a girl I knew had said a man in a white van had told her to get in, it was such a big deal at the time and it triggered the biggest fear of vans for me I used to take panic attacks if I was on my own and seen one approaching.
When I think about it now I’m absolutely certain she had made it up for attention but it took me years to get over it.

and also the theme tune to heartbeat on a Sunday night - that’s when you knew the weekend was well and truly over lol

• Haha
Furbys - I had to watch my parents put it under the stairs at night eventually they just binned it. I was petrified.

Also, Maleficent...I still get a few shivers at my age 🤣

• Haha
I remember shitting myself as a 5-6 year old, lying in bed and listening to my parents watching the Casualty and X Files theme tune on TV...

• Haha