Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love threads like these, you get some run of the mill fears which seem obvious and some odd ones which have usually materialised from the persons own experiences.
Anyway mine is Daleks (obvious)
And walking past covered swimming pools (I was convinced I would get sucked in and can vaguely remember watching something where someone fell in, got tangled up and drowned.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The teletubbies scared the tit out of me.

The whole microphones coming up out of the ground and listening to them freaked me out. I used to hide behind the couch. Their hoover 'NooNoo' was a creepy piece of tech, and the televisions in their stomaches was unsettling.

It's really funny because now I work in tech myself and I'm painfully aware of how smart home devices are monitoring us (I design artificial intelligence lol).

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
The Masked Magician?
Yes! Loved him even though I was scared of most masked things as a child 😂

One of my many childhood fears: Trains.

Before my mum could drive we he had to get trains when visiting family and I would scream, cry and hyperventilate at the sight of a train. Once actually on the train it didn't get any better as the noises and watching the joint between two carriages move side to side was terrifying.

One of fears around trains was falling down the gap. When I was around 11/12 we were getting on a train and my younger sister slipped down into the gap... My fear had become reality, she was in the gap for less than a second as she was holding my dad's hand and he pulled her straight up. She was fine but I was shaking and crying for a while 😂

I still have my fear but it's alot better now. I still panic when getting on and off, especially if the gap is a little wider than normal. If I'm travelling with a suitcase, I get someone else to put it on for me because I need time to safely step on the train 😂

• Sad
Reactions: 3
My daughter was staying at her grandparents one night and my dad was watching tv
it just so happened to be a programme about John Wayne gacy
it’s left her with a phobia of clowns-to the point she couldn’t go into maccys for years

i was tit scared of sooty-the yellow puppet from the 80’s
i had a nightmare when I was about 4 that he was at the end of my bed,biting my feet-I can clearly remember it
i told my mother who dismissed it as a bad dream (which it was!) but it really stood me up
i look back with a mixture of fear and nostalgia lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I used to live in South Africa during my childhood, and my bedroom was festooned with dolls of various sizes and descriptions.

But whenever I went to bed I had to take them all into a cupboard in my parent's bedroom because I used to wake up in the middle of the night and see their silhouettes in the gloomy darkness, and in some cases their staring shiny eyes glaring right back at me in my bed.

Sometimes my imaginative mind went into overdrive, convincing me that everytime I looked at these dolls that they were slowly get closer and closer to my bed!

So they had to go!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
1. My brother's Iron Maiden cds - especially The X Factor, freaked me out for years!
2. The episode of The Simpsons when they're on the way back from somewhere and Grandpa Abe's kidneys burst or something
3. Darth Maul
4. The Nutty Professor, because of the 'He's Gonna Blow' scene -

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The episode of The Simpsons when they're on the way back from somewhere and Grandpa Abe's kidneys burst or something
Omg! This terrified me, I stopped holding my pee in after that and was terrified everytime I felt a pain in my stomach/side. Doesn't help that the same kinda thing happened to my granny 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Hope someone can help me identify this film. A friend of mine is searching for a film that disturbed her when she was younger.

She said it would have been during the late 80’s or early 90’s, and her school year was taken to the cinema to see this movie.

She recalls that it was possibly a war film, set in a concentration camp or a prison. She said the main character was a little girl with red hair and freckles. She also remembered that the poster had an orange background. She said it may have been an Australian film, and the children were forced to eat faeces.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas of what this could be.

For some reason the Daleks scared me so much. I remember being at a sleepover and the parents were watching old Doctor Who episodes and I saw the Daleks and it scared me so much. I had to go home 😂 dunno how old I was maybe 7 or 8.

Also the VHS cover of Hellraiser which I always saw when we went to Blockbuster! Creeped me out

Hope someone can help me identify this film. A friend of mine is searching for a film that disturbed her when she was younger.

She said it would have been during the late 80’s or early 90’s, and her school year was taken to the cinema to see this movie.

She recalls that it was possibly a war film, set in a concentration camp or a prison. She said the main character was a little girl with red hair and freckles. She also remembered that the poster had an orange background. She said it may have been an Australian film, and the children were forced to eat faeces.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas of what this could be.
Referring back to my previous post. I think the film my friend is looking for is, The Leaving of Liverpool:

Has anyone seen it, and can confirm the scene I am asking about?

I used to be scared going up or down open stairs in the dark. I always imagined someone under them grabbing my ankle.

Reactions: 2
Lol I don’t know why but sometimes I found the tv show Goosebumps very scary.