Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

yankydoo

Chatty Member
Um Bongo carton drinks mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone remember "How My Body Works?"

Also that Filofax thing and you could add to it each week (I think).

Awwww

Reactions: 10

Spinidge

VIP Member
The Pier! It was my favourite shop with gorgeous candles, rugs and nick nacks. Nearly every home had one of their lanterns. I wish they would come back!

lilamay

VIP Member
I could literally go on for days on this thread 🙈😂

But do they still do gel pens that smell? I bloody loved the cola one 😍
Loved smelly gel pens! The popcorn one :love:

Wish they still had toys in cereal boxes too for me for the kids.

• Haha

UnknownTattler

VIP Member
Reading through this thread has been a trip down memory lane 😁 things that come to mind are:

Bursting Bugs sweets
Fame Academy
Top of the Pops on a Friday night
Sticker albums for films, sports, etc. I remember sending off for the last few needed to complete my collection 😁
Stamped Addressed Envelopes and entering competitions with them 😁
Milk in cartons - when did it switch to plastic bottles?
The early days of social media - picking your top 8 friends on MySpace and giving Love on Bebo 😁

• Haha

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
This is so random but I just remembered how back when I was a child in the 90’s, when a show on TV was near the end or coming to an ad break that little black and white spinny thing would appear in the top corner. When did that stop being a thing?😆

marlaxo

I always remember in the funfax filofax they had a page about scary things, and had about spontaneous combustion, with a picture of a pile of ash with a ladies leg (with shoe and sock on), it made me soooo scared it would happen to me for far too long :(

SavvyBee

VIP Member
Was anyone else obsessed with decorative stick on “bindis” as a child? I remember buying them off the rotating display in the Post Office. Clearly nobody had ever heard the term cultural appropriation 🤦🏼‍♀️ A bindi on my forehead and Chinese fake tattoos, gorgeous combination!

• Haha

Lars Guinard

VIP Member
White musk perfume/oil in a glass vial from the BodyShop.
The Chart Show on ITV or channel 3 at it was.
Adverts for Guinness that were major productions...Tick follows Tock, Heres to you Ahab, the Toucans
Heather from M People belting out ‘You’ve got to search for the hero inside yourself’

Horatio

VIP Member
Top of the pops magazine. I used to love the freebies inside and collect the song lyrics.
Going to the video store (choices)on a Friday to pick a movie.
I miss magazines in general. I might have written some of this before, maybe even early on this thread, but goddam it I want to reminisce again.

i consumed magazines constantly from the age of about 8 when I got the beano each week till I left school at almost 18. I know I’m as responsible as anyone for their demise but it still makes me sad.

Talking of top of the pops magazine, we must shout out the OG of pop magazines, smash hits. I never loved those ones tho; found them a bit cheap and unsubstantial but they are still worth recognising. When I got into guitar music in early teens I started buying NME every week and did so religiously from about 04-07. I barely if ever missed an issue for those years, I loved that tradition. The frustration when it couldn’t be found and the buzz of seeing it on the shelf somewhere new. I also bought q or one called the word sometimes in those years if they had bands I liked in the issue.

I can also relate to the preteen girl ones. I think I had a shout subscription at some point. That and mizz were the gateway drug of those magazines. My favourite thing in mizz was the “cringe“ stories where different stories were rewarded different amounts of cash depending how embarrassing they were judged to be. I’m sure the vast majority if not all were made up. I knew a girl at school who claimed to get one in there like that.They always seemed to involve tripping and exposing your knickers to your “crush” in some way.
Then came the more ‘sophisticated’ like Sugar, Bliss which was one of the best. And J-17. at first I thought I would have to be 17 to read it , but it was more suitable for my 12 year old self the name just clever simple marketing to make me feel mature . These magazines are largely responsible for selling an unrealistic image of what my adult life , which I thought meant 18 onwards, would be like (confident, successful, affluent, stylish etc) but I don’t say that resentfully. They served a purpose and probably were quite informative about certain things. Misinformative as well it must be said, which really sticks at that age Eg who else was under the impression that tampons were supposed to be flushed and nbd? until about a year or two ago,aged 28 or 29, I didn’t know I shouldn’t be doing it. I distinctly remember their flush-ability repeatedly listed as a pro of using them.

now it's sad seeing those that remain turn into a shell of their former glory. the worst part of the nme’s death rattle stage wasnt that it was free or half as thick and dominated by ads, it was that it was forced to cover mainstream acts like Justin Bieber who it’s unimaginable would come close to a cover spot before. And it started including tv and films too. Basically it lost its niche and had to be more bland and generally appealing, so wasn’t the same magazine beyond the name.

i wonder what 13 year old girls read for the stories and sex education etc we had. Do they watch it on YouTube or God forbid, tik tok instead?!

• Heart

Bunny2013

The Golden Girls, loved this
Roseanne
ER
Chicago Hope
LA Law

Charlie Red perfume
Doc Martins
Kickers
Garage Hill
Hollyoaks but when it first came out
Neighbours (on twice a day!) and Home and Away

Summer holidays were always hot!
Winter always freezing and snowing, listening to the radio to see if ur school was shut, those were the best days!

InstaLurk

VIP Member
Rimmel Heather Shimmer lipstick, Wella Colour Mousse in Copper and Body Shop Ananya perfume. And EX-CLA-MATION!!! (Make a statement without saying a word...)

Ghostwriter on the telly on wheels at primary school

• Heart

Barkin Mad

Chatty Member
Candy Watch Bracelet im sure they did necklaces too but if you bit to hard the elastic would snap,

Emoji

Chatty Member
Reebok pumps. Only the well off kids had them at my school. I was so jealous I couldn’t get a pair 🤣
The Chrystal Maze and the Krypton factor. I used to love these shows as a kid.