Things in life that have just quietly disappeared

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Just a few things that don't exist anymore that went unnoticed. Got any more to add?

Croissants shaped like croissants! Probably just a British thing, but they're all straight now, because buttering something with a shape was just too difficult :LOL:

Delay when speaking to the other side of the world on the phone, god knows when they updated the cables but the delay is nothing these days.

Local natural gas storage tanks that moved up and down, I guess the technology improved for gas main lines and they didn't need them anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Just a few things that don't exist anymore that went unnoticed. Got any more to add?

Croissants shaped like croissants! Probably just a British thing, but they're all straight now, because buttering something with a shape was just too difficult :LOL:

Delay when speaking to the other side of the world, god knows when they updated the cables but the delay is nothing these days.

Local natural gas storage tanks that moved up and down, I guess the technology improved for gas main lines and they didn't need them anymore?
You are so right about the croissants. Though you can get the croissant shape in bake your own packs, usually from spa. Always makes me think of Pretty Woman

Reactions: 6
Is anybody else old enough to remember that horrible loo paper that was essentially tracing paper? We had it at school. Deeply unpleasant. Not sure if it still even exists.

• Haha
Reactions: 171
VHS/video!!! I vividly remember Dad getting me videos as a kid, videos of films fallen off the back of a Chinese lorry no doubt and cartoons, and ruining them by pulling the black tape out (oh my parents loved me) - but then I also had DVDs! Harry Potter, Kipper the Dog...
it blows my mind that one day we all just stopped using videos and moved to DVDs seemingly in the blink of an eye. Mum thinks I'm weird when I point it out 😂 🤷‍♀️

Is anybody else old enough to remember that horrible loo paper that was essentially tracing paper? We had it at school. Deeply unpleasant. Not sure if it still even exists.
it's still at schools, and colleges and universities (!) - turns wiping into a very risky game!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Yes I remember, totally unsuitable as so flimsy. In some cheap pubs have seen it. Feels less than 1ply

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Phone boxes
Video shops
TV guides - the only people I know who have one are my grandparents.
Penny for the Guy on November 5th (not seen anyone with a guy since I was a child and I’m almost 30)
Lollipop men / ladies (I live in fairly Central London so I’m sure this contributes, my husband says they’re definitely not extinct)

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
VHS/video!!! I vividly remember Dad getting me videos as a kid, videos of films

Following on from that, Blockbusters. Best Saturday nights ever as a child were a Mcdonalds and choosing a video from Blockbusters.

Reactions: 57
Growing up around here we used to have a guy that came round the streets selling bags of whelks, mussels and candy apples. You don’t get that anymore.

Also, ice-cream vans. Haven’t noticed one about here in years. Used to love staying with my nana on a Sunday, she’d give us a £ each for the ice-cream van and we’d come back with loads of sweets.

Reactions: 14
Growing up around here we used to have a guy that came round the streets selling bags of whelks, mussels and candy apples. You don’t get that anymore.

Also, ice-cream vans. Haven’t noticed one about here in years. Used to love staying with my nana on a Sunday, she’d give us a £ each for the ice-cream van and we’d come back with loads of sweets.
Apparantly the ice cream vans around our way sell something very different these days...🌿

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Phone boxes
Video shops
Penny for the Guy on November 5th (not seen anyone with a guy since I was a child and I’m almost 30)
Lollipop men / ladies (I live in fairly Central London so I’m sure this contributes, my husband says they’re definitely not extinct)
Carol singing no one does that anymore.

Reactions: 16
Dignity, integrity and respect to name a few 😒 This whole celeb wannabe culture makes me 🤢

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 113
Following on from that, Blockbusters. Best Saturday nights ever as a child were a Mcdonalds and choosing a video from Blockbusters.
Yes but there was nothing worse then when you went to choose a new release and they had all been taken out. :giggle:

Dignity, integrity and respect to name a few 😒 This whole celeb wannabe culture makes me 🤢
Yes I remember when you had to have a talent to be called a start/celeb.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Phone boxes
Video shops
We still have phone boxes up North and penny for the guy and lollipop men/women!

Reactions: 15
ahh the good old scrape and shine;)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.