TheTimTracker #31 How to have your cake and...hang on, where's the ducking cake?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am I remembering wrong? Fast passes were originally not free right? I thought when they first came out they were only for people staying on disney property.
I've been trying to confirm this for a while now. My original memories of Fastpass when I first went to WDW (sometime in 2003, almost 4 years after Fastpass was introduced) was that it was hotel guests only or otherwise some level of exclusivity. I can't find anything to corroborate that so maybe it has always been open to all, but like I said, I have (perhaps faulty) memories of it being only available to on-property guests.

Reactions: 1
I've been trying to confirm this for a while now. My original memories of Fastpass when I first went to WDW (sometime in 2003, almost 4 years after Fastpass was introduced) was that it was hotel guests only or otherwise some level of exclusivity. I can't find anything to corroborate that so maybe it has always been open to all, but like I said, I have (perhaps faulty) memories of it being only available to on-property guests.
It was always free to ticket holders. Universal is free to resort guests at the original 3 hotels.

It was for everyone. Here's an old article just around the time FastPass+ was being rumored to start -

And here's background info on FP -

Reactions: 4
Mickey Views did a good video explaining the Disney Paris premier pass, here’s to hoping it does t come to WDW.
If you want news, that kid is where its at. I wouldn't go to the trackers to find out anything.

Fast passes were free once at WDW. I remember going to a little machine (clusters in an area like around Innovations at EPCOT), inserting my AP, and getting a FP ticket and then show up in the FP line at the timeframe designated.
You could get three at a time. So when you got to the park you ran to the top three rides and got your return times for the day and once you used your first one you would run to your forth choice and it still usually had plenty so that was at least four fastpasses a day but nothing was guaranteed until you got there.

It was open to all. There was no hierarchy. I was a kid with an annual pass, never a hotel guest, and had them every trip. They were great back then. you would sometimes be gifted a fastpass by people who had them and were leaving for the day. Or they were magic moments for employees to give to people randomly.I remember my sister coming home with pockets full from her shift at mission space when it first opened and they were all about magic moments skipping that line. It was so easy when it was just paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Fast pass at Disney World was originally tickets you got from a kiosk outside a ride. You swiped your park pass and get a ticket with a return time. Didn't matter if you were a Disney hotel guest or not, (I don't think -as I only was there as a resort guest) and magic hours were only for resort guests and before they built a gillion more hotels it was a great time to be in the park without the crowds, but not anymore (preCovid).

Then they went to Fastpasses through the app or magic bands and it really sucked as before I don't remember having any limit on which rides you could snag a pass for, you just had to hit the kiosks early enough to get some before they ran out for the day. I just hate having to majorly plan out a day with fastpasses, but it's the only way to get on some rides during the day if you can't stay til close to closing time.

I don't think I would pay extra for a full fastpass as tickets are already pricey, and it still may be very popular and you're waiting longer than you would expect anyway.

Am I remembering wrong? Fast passes were originally not free right? I thought when they first came out they were only for people staying on disney property.
Fastpasses were always free at WDW. They were available to anyone who had a ticket. You could book 3 a day and then after those were used you could book one at a time for the rest of the evening.
*just noticed "originally". I guess I can't speak to that, but for the 14 years we have been going they've been free
They would have extras like extra magic hours for hotel guests, which we loved, but of course that was done away with, too! Like the guy said, they were going to use this time to make changes that they otherwise wouldn't be able to get away with. Makes me mad! I'm glad we were able to go to Disney as much as we did before things took a turn.

Reactions: 2
If you want news, that kid is where its at. I wouldn't go to the trackers to find out anything.

You could get three at a time. So when you got to the park you ran to the top three rides and got your return times for the day and once you used your first one you would run to your forth choice and it still usually had plenty so that was at least four Fastpasses a day but nothing was guaranteed until you got there.

It was open to all. There was no hierarchy. I was a kid with an annual pass, never a hotel guest, and had them every trip. They were great back then. you would sometimes be gifted a Fastpass by people who had them and were leaving for the day. Or they were magic moments for employees to give to people randomly.I remember my sister coming home with pockets full from her shift at mission space when it first opened and they were all about magic moments skipping that line. It was so easy when it was just paper.
Hmm good to know. Maybe it was just the lower crowd levels back then because I remember when Fastpass was actually that, you could have a ride like Tower of Terror with a 45 minute wait and with Fastpass, you would just walk on.

My family would always do that, if we were getting ready to leave the park, we'd get a Fastpass and then hand it off to another family before exiting. I miss the days of paper Fastpass. Much more spontaneity in those days and much easier to get onto the premier attractions.

Idk- I tried the MaxPass at Disneyland a few years back...only $20, but not really worth it. It'll be interesting to see what comes to WDW
I agree, my bff and I went in October 2019 and if you go when the park opens you can hit the big rides. We did Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder within our first 1.5hrs. Pirates, Matterhorn, Tea Cups and Small World the next 2 hrs. We used a fast pass for Space Mountain and Millenium Falcon and then we eased up and had lunch and watched a show and did some shopping. Later that night after fireworks we practically walked on to Millennium Falcon.

We absolutely didn’t need the Maxpass

I do prefer the old FP style of having to go the kiosks to get a return time ticket. It really made things more fair for the average person and people who booked last minute trips as odds are with FP+ if you wanted to ride a big headliner odds are all the FP+ slots get filled up 60 days out. Whereas if you roped dropped the park you could double dip, get a FP return ticket and ride the ride via standby.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I do prefer the old FP style of having to go the kiosks to get a return time ticket. It really made things more fair for the average person and people who booked last minute trips as odds are with FP+ if you wanted to ride a big headliner odds are all the FP+ slots get filled up 60 days out. Whereas if you roped dropped the park you could double dip, get a FP return ticket and ride the ride via standby.
I agree. It was a more fair system in that you had to actually go to the ride to get your pass.

It was so much more fun that way too, none of this planning anxiety that we have now, and which has been ramped up to 1000 with now needing to have our passes and a park reservation early too. (My son still does not have his or his GF's passes for October and I'm genuinely worried he'll be wasting his vacation time and money if he comes down without either.)

I used to scoff at folk who didn't want to make FP online, but they're right, the mouse is siphoning the spontaneous fun out of Disney theme park travel, and has put a price tag on it.

As a local I hated the old FP system. We usually don’t get to the park until after lunch so all the good fast passes would be gone by then. We much prefer reserving three in advance for the late afternoon/early evening.

As a local I hated the old FP system. We usually don’t get to the park until after lunch so all the good fast passes would be gone by then. We much prefer reserving three in advance for the late afternoon/early evening.
Understood, but how does that work for you if the folk staying on site all have access to FPs first and you're shut out?

If you keep refreshing you can usually get what you want unless it’s the newest ride.
I have a feeling this memory will be one to assign to "the good old days" grouping. Parks and resorts will be packed from the 50th on through 2022, and then the pay for FP concept may come along during or after that.

I used to enjoy Disney parks in the rain too... no lines as all the guests thought they were melting in the rain, much like the Slacker man here. Seems the guests have pretty much caught on that skin wont wash away and warm florida rain can be fairly pleasant and drop the temperature of the park.

Take note, Tim totally braved the rain for the return of HEA. He should be hailed a hero.

Live Vlog from the Slackers because Jenn needs a day off from her drag and drop editing.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
If you keep refreshing you can usually get what you want unless it’s the newest ride.
With the app, unless you go during the extremely busy times, if you are persistent and keep refreshing and checking you can usually find some pretty good fastpass even the day of. Same with dining reservations.

My old favorite waiting in line pastime used to be looking for new fastpass to pick up 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.