The Running Thread šŸƒā€ā™€ļø

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved reading all Your stories and tips! I start C25K tomorrow for the 3rd time. I took up running in 2012 and hated it but also loved it - i got quite good and would regularly run 10k home from work, did race for life and so on, I was super fit In general and did a lot of exercise. Anyway an injury put me out late 2014 and I've struggled getting back in to exercise since 2015. I yo-yo back and for and generally start exercising in January and lose a lot of weight, go on holiday in the summer and then lose all momentum and interest. I'm
Now the biggest I've been and the unfittest and I miss how exercise feels. Started c25k in first lockdown and got to week 3 then got bored, started again in November firebreak and did 2 weeks and injured myself. So back to it tomorrow with a new mindset and aim to hopefully break the cycle and get back to where I was! I'll check in here for some accountability!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I loved reading all Your stories and tips! I start C25K tomorrow for the 3rd time. I took up running in 2012 and hated it but also loved it - i got quite good and would regularly run 10k home from work, did race for life and so on, I was super fit In general and did a lot of exercise. Anyway an injury put me out late 2014 and I've struggled getting back in to exercise since 2015. I yo-yo back and for and generally start exercising in January and lose a lot of weight, go on holiday in the summer and then lose all momentum and interest. I'm
Now the biggest I've been and the unfittest and I miss how exercise feels. Started c25k in first lockdown and got to week 3 then got bored, started again in November firebreak and did 2 weeks and injured myself. So back to it tomorrow with a new mindset and aim to hopefully break the cycle and get back to where I was! I'll check in here for some accountability!
You can do it!! I started and gave up on couch 2 5k so many times and Iā€™ve just finished it and now started 10K one today.

I think the thing that got me through to the end this time was not expecting to be amazing off the bat and celebrating getting to the end of each week

Reactions: 1
Hi all! Iā€™m looking to get an apple watch to help track my workouts, Iā€™ve been looking at the Series 3 one (since itā€™s the cheapest lol) but just wondering if thereā€™s any benefits to getting a more recently released one? Or if the differences are only minor? Sorry if this is off topic, it was the first fitness thread I saw!

Hi all! Iā€™m looking to get an apple watch to help track my workouts, Iā€™ve been looking at the Series 3 one (since itā€™s the cheapest lol) but just wondering if thereā€™s any benefits to getting a more recently released one? Or if the differences are only minor? Sorry if this is off topic, it was the first fitness thread I saw!
Honestly if you're getting it mainly for workouts I'd get a garmin. You'll get much better tracking, some smart watch features and you won't be locked into the Apple ecosystem.

Honestly if you're getting it mainly for workouts I'd get a garmin. You'll get much better tracking, some smart watch features and you won't be locked into the Apple ecosystem.
Thanks, Iā€™ve seen loads of people with those too so Iā€™ll definitely have a look :)

I have an apple watch and I dont think they are the best (scientifically) for tracking workouts - but I have never had any issues tracking run, spin, swim or weight lifting, sure it may not be 100% accurate but its fine for me. I like it because it ties in with my phone/laptop which are also apple and I think they look the nicest of the 'sport watches' haha. I have a 4 but my whole family have 3s and apart from the 4/newer ones looking slightly sleeker and doing ECG heart recordings I don't think there is any difference at all. Obviously worth considering the older an apple product the shorter life it has left with regards to updates etc but given they are still selling them I suspect they have a while. I think I saw an apple watch SE released which is cheaper than the 6 (if this is the current one) but slightly more probably than a 3 but maybe worth considering with the update consideration!

Reactions: 4
Thanks, Iā€™ve seen loads of people with those too so Iā€™ll definitely have a look :)
Iā€™m happy to talk you through the different models etc as I know it can be overwhelming. Iā€™ve been using garmins for over 10 years at this point and would never switch. One MAJOR thing I would point out is the choice between a touch screen display vs pressing buttons to navigate. My Fenix 5s plus is operated by buttons and I prefer it because when Iā€™m running I can hit laps etc without having to look at my watch. I can only imagine the horror of trying to do the same thing on a small touch screen while running fast with sweaty/ hands etc.

Obviously apple watches are touch screens as are the vivoactive, vivomove and venu garmin models. The rest of the Garmin models are button operated.

I have an apple watch and I dont think they are the best (scientifically) for tracking workouts - but I have never had any issues tracking run, spin, swim or weight lifting, sure it may not be 100% accurate but its fine for me. I like it because it ties in with my phone/laptop which are also apple and I think they look the nicest of the 'sport watches' haha. I have a 4 but my whole family have 3s and apart from the 4/newer ones looking slightly sleeker and doing ECG heart recordings I don't think there is any difference at all. Obviously worth considering the older an apple product the shorter life it has left with regards to updates etc but given they are still selling them I suspect they have a while. I think I saw an apple watch SE released which is cheaper than the 6 (if this is the current one) but slightly more probably than a 3 but maybe worth considering with the update consideration!
Thanks for this! I didnā€™t think there was much difference but wanted to check and get otherā€™s opinions before I go spending any money on them, also thanks for pointing out that the older ones might have a shorter life span, hadnā€™t thought of that

Iā€™m happy to talk you through the different models etc as I know it can be overwhelming. Iā€™ve been using garmins for over 10 years at this point and would never switch. One MAJOR thing I would point out is the choice between a touch screen display vs pressing buttons to navigate. My Fenix 5s plus is operated by buttons and I prefer it because when Iā€™m running I can hit laps etc without having to look at my watch. I can only imagine the horror of trying to do the same thing on a small touch screen while running fast with sweaty/ hands etc.

Obviously apple watches are touch screens as are the vivoactive, vivomove and venu garmin models. The rest of the Garmin models are button operated.
I was looking at Apple bc I have an iPhone so maybe I would end up using it for more than what I said, but I really appreciate the advice, Iā€™ll definitely look into different models. Much to think about šŸ§

Last edited:
I was looking at Apple bc I have an iPhone so maybe I would end up using it for more than what I said, but I really appreciate the advice, Iā€™ll definitely look into different models. Much to think about šŸ§
If you have an iphone I would definitely recommend an apple watch! I had a Fitbit before and it got really annoying because lotā€™s of features wouldnā€™t work with an iphone because Apple blocks all other devices. Itā€™s typical Apple behavior sadly but I do love my Apple Watch and for beginner/intermediate level they are accurate enough imo

Reactions: 2
If you have an iphone I would definitely recommend an apple watch! I had a Fitbit before and it got really annoying because lotā€™s of features wouldnā€™t work with an iphone because Apple blocks all other devices. Itā€™s typical Apple behavior sadly but I do love my Apple Watch and for beginner/intermediate level they are accurate enough imo
thank you! ā˜ŗ

I used to be very into running but the current outbreak has got me paranoid about going out when not 100pc necessary. My mum got an exercise bike last year so I've been using that along with doing a push-up programme to try and still improve my strength and fitness. I don't want to go back and not be good at running - one of the things I would love to do in the future is a tough mudder but I need more upper body strength first!

I uses to run quite a bit but after 2 keyhole hip surgeries had to stop and havenā€™t really got back into it.

I signed up to RED January, and a run/walk 50 miles in January challenge.

4 days in I have realised neither of these are realistic, so new plan is R(or walk)ED January, and run/walk 50 miles šŸ˜‚

I uses to run quite a bit but after 2 keyhole hip surgeries had to stop and havenā€™t really got back into it.

I signed up to RED January, and a run/walk 50 miles in January challenge.

4 days in I have realised neither of these are realistic, so new plan is R(or walk)ED January, and run/walk 50 miles šŸ˜‚
So Iā€™m doing RED January but Iā€™m seeing it as exercising every day rather than solely running, no shame at all ā˜ŗ

Lockdown part 54..... will be heading out tomorrow morning for a run for sure..need to clear my head before work and work out how husband and I will juggle our keyworker duties with a 2 and 6 year old. (Childminder has to quit as she has her own kids, fair enough I fully understand).

I know there's a huge UK presence here and I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you all as you head into a new lock down. I'm in Victoria, Australia and we went through several months of lock down including a period where we could leave our homes for exercise for Max one hour per day. Focus on creating a schedule and routine for yourselves at home and use friends/ relatives for accountability. A friend and I would do a zoom call and do our own separate study which helped both our mental health and productivity immensely. If you're not allowed to leave your homes for exercise there's plenty of stuff you can do at home! I wrote out some basic exercises a while back here but otherwise I really got into Lilly Sabri on YouTube who releases a ton of content for free.

Stay strong, stay connected and I'm thinking of you ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
UK based but sending a lot of love to everyone too. First lockdown I remember being terrified that theyā€™d take the exercise bit away as it was my only bit of sanity in the early days, so I know how much of a blessing exercise is for us!

as weā€™re all friends here... anyone with any chafing advice? Not so much the how not to (I already use runderwear which were great until the lockdown weight went on, and Iā€™ve used bodyglide before which has been very good), but the how to treat it? Iā€™m on sudocrem at the mo which seems very slow progress!

UK based but sending a lot of love to everyone too. First lockdown I remember being terrified that theyā€™d take the exercise bit away as it was my only bit of sanity in the early days, so I know how much of a blessing exercise is for us!

as weā€™re all friends here... anyone with any chafing advice? Not so much the how not to (I already use runderwear which were great until the lockdown weight went on, and Iā€™ve used bodyglide before which has been very good), but the how to treat it? Iā€™m on sudocrem at the mo which seems very slow progress!
Hmm not sure, but do you know a Tropics rep? The Tamanu balm is good for random skin stuff.

I use bodyglide before every run. I've figured out where I chafe and apply it preventatively. Are you asking how to deal with areas that are chafed while they heal? If it's on thighs I'd recommend wearing tights that cover the area so it can't get worse. I also tend to chafe a bit around my armpits but that's never so bad to cause pain.

Hi everyone, I completed c25k during first lockdown but then gave up. I often suffered with terrible hip and groin pain particularly in the left side. Iā€™m still having some pain now and itā€™s been so long since I ran at all. Any tips or is this par for the course. I literally do not how to get started again or joe the hell I even did it at all for that matter. the thought of al that effort and ohh I go soooo red itā€™s embarrassing. But afterwards I felt great just can not seem to force myself back to it at allšŸ˜©

Yeah thigh wise I'd just say get longer, legging material shorts. I always wear shorts under dresses and don't know how anyone can cope with bare thighs in life.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.