The Running Thread šŸƒā€ā™€ļø

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Itā€™s weird because I feel like Iā€™m going fast when I run and I canā€™t push myself any more, but my pace is so slow (about 5ā€™40 per km) and I see other people I know running it between 4-5 minutes per km. I donā€™t seem to be getting any faster with time either. Has anyone got any tips because itā€™s starting to get me down!!

Today in my couch to 10k journey I ran 20 solid minutes not stopping. TWENTY. 7 weeks ago a couple of minutes was enough to wipe me off and now I can do 20!!! I think I am running slightly faster than the pace it wants you to run at, which so far hasn't been a problem but may be something I need to consider going further (apart from the 5'49 K i did the other day which was ridiculously fast as I usually sit around 6'49).

I went to a proper place to get my trainers and had gait analysis done etc - and it really has changed my running, and my ankle stability! I would recommend this if you can hold off getting new ones until shops can reopen.
Isnā€™t it the BEST feeling when you run further than you thought possible? I cried the first time I finished couch to 5k, but my first runners high was running for 8 minutes non stop in the snow ā˜ŗ

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Isnā€™t it the BEST feeling when you run further than you thought possible? I cried the first time I finished couch to 5k, but my first runners high was running for 8 minutes non stop in the snow ā˜ŗ
The best - running in the snow sounds cold but fun!!! I am a bit worried because the next run is 20 mins then 3 minute walk then 5 minute run and I am finding it so hard to keep going after the walk but I am also worried to stray from the plan haha.

Reactions: 2
So glad i have found this thread! On and off ā€˜runnerā€™ for years now but only through the beginning of first lockdown up until now i have really stuck to it...although i am still rubbish. Weightlifter at heart but i do love how running makes me feel after! I can only manage 5k at around 28 mins but am trying to push for 10k, itā€™s just that i get bored when i run and just thinking about the end šŸ„“

I have also spent the best part of a year looking for some decent running trainers, i just bought the adidas ultra boosts but i like a lot of comfort and bounce, and i tried them on and instantly knew they werenā€™t going to do it for me.

Iā€™m tempted to get the on-running trainers, anyone had them?
Get fitted in a running store. The way you run is unique to you and following other random people's suggestions is a great way to get injured.

Get fitted in a running store. The way you run is unique to you and following other random people's suggestions is a great way to get injured.
Oh yeah definitely. Although during the current situation this is impossible for me to do so. So just looking at other peoples favourites and do a lot of research around them then!

Oh yeah definitely. Although during the current situation this is impossible for me to do so. So just looking at other peoples favourites and do a lot of research around them then!
Instead of that I'd get someone you live with to film you running. A full body shoy and then focusing on the feet and ankles. See if you can send that off to a running store. Otherwise watch the videos for yourself and see whether you probate, whether things are in line etc. That'll at least narrow down whether you need a more support or neutral shoe.

Instead of that I'd get someone you live with to film you running. A full body shoy and then focusing on the feet and ankles. See if you can send that off to a running store. Otherwise watch the videos for yourself and see whether you probate, whether things are in line etc. That'll at least narrow down whether you need a more support or neutral shoe.
Thats such a good idea! Iā€™m definitely going to try. Thanks so much šŸ˜Œ

Itā€™s weird because I feel like Iā€™m going fast when I run and I canā€™t push myself any more, but my pace is so slow (about 5ā€™40 per km) and I see other people I know running it between 4-5 minutes per km. I donā€™t seem to be getting any faster with time either. Has anyone got any tips because itā€™s starting to get me down!!
Thatā€™s quite fast I think! My average is around 6km on a good day

Reactions: 1
Thatā€™s quite fast I think! My average is around 6km on a good day
As you can see everyone's idea of fast is relative. You're not going to get faster if you go out everyday and just try to run faster. Have some structured training, a good way to start is 1x speed session, 1x easy run and 1x long run per week. The easy and long runs should be super slow and conversational. E.g. My tempo pace is 4.30/km but my easy and long runs are between 6-6.30/km

Reactions: 3
6 min / km makes for a 30 minute 5k which is pretty good!

I need some running gear advice please!!! As itā€™s getting a lot colder I donā€™t really know what to wear whilst running. I get hot VERY, VERY quickly. I usually go out in running leggings and a tshirt but I can feel the effects of this in my chest with it being quite sore post run. Not to mention people look at me as though Iā€™m insane haha. Iā€™m concerned about wearing a sweater and getting far too hot and having to take it off and getting out of stride. Does anyone have advice. Is it on to go out in just a tshirt due to the fact I heat up quickly or can anyone recommend a good long sleeve that I wonā€™t over heat in?

I need some running gear advice please!!! As itā€™s getting a lot colder I donā€™t really know what to wear whilst running. I get hot VERY, VERY quickly. I usually go out in running leggings and a tshirt but I can feel the effects of this in my chest with it being quite sore post run. Not to mention people look at me as though Iā€™m insane haha. Iā€™m concerned about wearing a sweater and getting far too hot and having to take it off and getting out of stride. Does anyone have advice. Is it on to go out in just a tshirt due to the fact I heat up quickly or can anyone recommend a good long sleeve that I wonā€™t over heat in?
I find the same - I go out wearing less but I wear a buff which keeps my neck/chest warm until I warm up at which point I then use it as a headband

Hey šŸ‘‹ my son goes out with just a T-shirt, shorts, hat and gloves. I on the other hand wear long running leggings ( Nike) long leave tops ( H&M) running jacket or zipper ( itā€™s easier to get off and tie around my waist while still running) baseball cap and gloves

I find the same - I go out wearing less but I wear a buff which keeps my neck/chest warm until I warm up at which point I then use it as a headband
This sounds like. Really good idea. Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one like this haha. Iā€™m like it in my day to day life too haha!!

Hey šŸ‘‹ my son goes out with just a T-shirt, shorts, hat and gloves. I on the other hand wear long running leggings ( Nike) long leave tops ( H&M) running jacket or zipper ( itā€™s easier to get off and tie around my waist while still running) baseball cap and gloves
H&m is a great shout!!! I may try a very very thin long sleeve. I need to go to Asda in a bit so think I could find something from there!

I wear leggings a long sleeve top and jacket which is zipped at the front so you can slide it off easily. I also have gloves which fit in my jacket pocket if i take them off and a hat/headband. My top is from my protein and is a nice material and I never feel too hot!

Iā€™ve been eyeing this thread for a while. Avid runner but Iā€™ve got an issue with my metatarsals so been off 3 weeks. I am SO bored. It just feels bruised rather than shooting pains going up my toes. Anyone any experience of this? I really want to get back but safely.
Itā€™s worth saying itā€™s definitely an overuse. I increased my mileage by too much so donā€™t feel too sorry for me!!

Iā€™ve been eyeing this thread for a while. Avid runner but Iā€™ve got an issue with my metatarsals so been off 3 weeks. I am SO bored. It just feels bruised rather than shooting pains going up my toes. Anyone any experience of this? I really want to get back but safely.
Itā€™s worth saying itā€™s definitely an overuse. I increased my mileage by too much so donā€™t feel too sorry for me!!
I strongly advise having a full months rest. Avoid As much walking as possible and use footwear around the house. Do you have a bike? Ultra low impact exercise so may be something you can do? I havenā€™t had issues with metatarsals but Iā€™ve had huge issues with my achillies and suspected stress fracture due to overuse! The only thing that managed to help me was having a long rest. Which was utterly tit!

I strongly advise having a full months rest. Avoid As much walking as possible and use footwear around the house. Do you have a bike? Ultra low impact exercise so may be something you can do? I havenā€™t had issues with metatarsals but Iā€™ve had huge issues with my achillies and suspected stress fracture due to overuse! The only thing that managed to help me was having a long rest. Which was utterly tit!
Iā€™ve got a bike coming tomorrow! Bought just before lockdown inflation. I suspect itā€™ll be a while. Walking barefoot is agony so Iā€™m in shoes all the time and diligently doing the exercises that I was prescribed. So annoying as was running so well! Thanks for the reply and look forward to hearing about what everyone else is up to! Such a lovely and supportive thread

Iā€™ve got a bike coming tomorrow! Bought just before lockdown inflation. I suspect itā€™ll be a while. Walking barefoot is agony so Iā€™m in shoes all the time and diligently doing the exercises that I was prescribed. So annoying as was running so well! Thanks for the reply and look forward to hearing about what everyone else is up to! Such a lovely and supportive thread
If you havenā€™t already I would 100% go to a physiotherapist. They will give you an exact plan. I know the temptation is to give in and start again but itā€™ll just become a never ending circle. At the moment Iā€™m just running once a week but Iā€™m starting to increase to twice a week. I think itā€™s unlikely I will be able to go as regularly as I used to but I absolutely love going out on my bike now so itā€™s great. As I was able to cycle and swim when I was off running my stamina didnā€™t diminish so try not to feel worried about.

Your post reminded me of when my boyfriend and I went to Copenhagen in January and did the parkrun there. All the Danes were properly kitted out in leggings and jackets, coats and hats and my boyfriend insisted on running it in his running club vest, his shortest racing shorts and gloves šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I think it is a northern thing!

Also. My gloves 95% of the time end up in my bra from about 15 minutes in, but I hate having cold hands!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.