The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
im doing couch to 10K and I found week 3 absolutely tit. I don’t know why but it was brutal. I’m now at the end of week 6 (15 minutes of non stop running whatttt) and finding it much easier end almost getting frustrated with the app stopping and starting running. Maybe try just going at your own pace without the app and running and walking as and when your body feels it - or keep trying with the app.
Which app do you use for couch to 10k? I used the bbc one for couch to 5k before, looking to start 10k now but don’t know where to start!

Reactions: 1
this is great well done! What were the suggestions if you don’t mind me asking?
Sounds so basic but I never used to warm up or stretch before a run - so made sure I walked at a fast pace for five mins first and followed emmakirkyo’s 4 min running warm up (she has lots of helpful running tips on her Instagram - I followed the warm up she posted 20th Nov 😊)
Also had a black coffee an hour before... think that gave me some energy haha

Reactions: 2
Which app do you use for couch to 10k? I used the bbc one for couch to 5k before, looking to start 10k now but don’t know where to start!
I use 10K runner (has a yellow logo) you have to pay like £7 for a lifetime membership or something but it’s quite good and you can skip ahead if you feel like you’re further than it says and it optimises workouts for you depending on your feedback. I like it!

Sounds so basic but I never used to warm up or stretch before a run - so made sure I walked at a fast pace for five mins first and followed emmakirkyo’s 4 min running warm up (she has lots of helpful running tips on her Instagram - I followed the warm up she posted 20th Nov 😊)
I'm so bad at not warming up, so I'm off to check out your recommendation.

Also I know is off topic, but a bit anxious about COVID. Last night I started just random cough, it's like one firm exhale, it carried one for an hour, do decided to go to bed. Didn't cough at all through night and woke up fine, took the dog out and did a workout fine, but in the past hour it's started again. I'm 99% sure it's anxiety cos I feel pressure in my throat, but there's a very nagging 1% in me....

I'm so bad at not warming up, so I'm off to check out your recommendation.

Also I know is off topic, but a bit anxious about COVID. Last night I started just random cough, it's like one firm exhale, it carried one for an hour, do decided to go to bed. Didn't cough at all through night and woke up fine, took the dog out and did a workout fine, but in the past hour it's started again. I'm 99% sure it's anxiety cos I feel pressure in my throat, but there's a very nagging 1% in me....
Is this after running? If so (I’m not doctor) but could be exercise induced asthma, I think a few people on here have mentioned it before, I get it now and again after a hard run. Try not to worry too much if you’re feeling otherwise OK (easier said than done I know!).

Yes - but I’d liken it almost to really bad period type pain and it happens mainly in the week or so before my period, or when when sprinting. It’s sometimes worse than period pain itself but subsides after a few minutes if I stop. It’s hard to tell if it’s period pain or digestive pain as it’s so low down, if that makes sense?
Yes that’s exactly it. It’s grim isn’t it

This is a great thread! Does anyone have any tips for people who suffer with tendinitis? I have really short Achilles and I am prone to getting tendinitis. I go running with my dog but I’m not sure if going 2/3 times a week will make my tendinitis flare up? I would love to start this year as the gyms are closed around me but afraid of screwing up my ankles!

Is this after running? If so (I’m not doctor) but could be exercise induced asthma, I think a few people on here have mentioned it before, I get it now and again after a hard run. Try not to worry too much if you’re feeling otherwise OK (easier said than done I know!).
No it's totally unrelated to running. When I started last night it was at 10pm. I'm convinced I have a temperature now as well (I don't). Have booked myself a test.

Today I did my longest run period in almost a year 15 solid minutes of running followed by a 3 minute walk abs then a 5 minute run. Doesn’t seem much but I was struggling so much at the beginning of this couch to 10K experience and now I look forward to it and enjoy the longer chunks than the shorter bits. I will say however my pacing is a hot bloody mess and I need to figure out a more stable pace as I start to go further - so does anyone have tips?
Thanks for the emmakirkyo recommendation! Followed.

I did it! 1 min running /1.15 walking x15 and it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected after six weeks. Missed the endorphins ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I did it! 1 min running /1.15 walking x15 and it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected after six weeks. Missed the endorphins ☺
Well done! It’s such a good feeling isn’t it?! I’m going to try couch 2 10K today. I never thought (I’m naturally lazy) I’d enjoy the high from running 😂

Reactions: 2
This will probably sound silly but I record my runs on Strava and when I’m running, I’m constantly checking my pace and time because I want it to be good. There’s not much other way to distract my brain whilst running, anyone got any tips to not try so hard to get a good time? 😂

This will probably sound silly but I record my runs on Strava and when I’m running, I’m constantly checking my pace and time because I want it to be good. There’s not much other way to distract my brain whilst running, anyone got any tips to not try so hard to get a good time? 😂
I am the same, constantly check. I use it on my watch, with the colder weather it’s usually covered which helps but I’m thinking of recording via Strava on my phone instead, which is tucked away in my belt.

I use 10K runner (has a yellow logo) you have to pay like £7 for a lifetime membership or something but it’s quite good and you can skip ahead if you feel like you’re further than it says and it optimises workouts for you depending on your feedback. I like it!
Have just downloaded this and will do my first run shortly. If I can stick out the first week I will definitely look into the membership but is it also good without the extras?

Have just downloaded this and will do my first run shortly. If I can stick out the first week I will definitely look into the membership but is it also good without the extras?
I don’t think it goes the whole way without the payment (I could be wrong) which is why I paid for it. If it does go the whole way without payment I think the only difference is you can’t skip ahead / get the optimisation element.

I don’t think it goes the whole way without the payment (I could be wrong) which is why I paid for it. If it does go the whole way without payment I think the only difference is you can’t skip ahead / get the optimisation element.
Ohh how smart/cruel of them! Then I guess I’ll have to pay 😅 The first run was definitely too easy so it’ll be worth it alone for the skipping 😂

im doing couch to 10K and I found week 3 absolutely tit. I don’t know why but it was brutal. I’m now at the end of week 6 (15 minutes of non stop running whatttt) and finding it much easier end almost getting frustrated with the app stopping and starting running. Maybe try just going at your own pace without the app and running and walking as and when your body feels it - or keep trying with the app.
I used a C25k app and really struggled to get passed week 3. I had some outdoor PT sessions and told her I've been trying to run. Anyway she took me out. Showed me how improve my technique (wow what a difference) and the 2nd time we went i ran for 38 minutes non stop and managed 5k💪 All be it my time is slow....but now i know I can do it I can improve on that.

I also think the start stop was hindering me too as I struggled to get going again once I stopped.

Reactions: 3
I used a C25k app and really struggled to get passed week 3. I had some outdoor PT sessions and told her I've been trying to run. Anyway she took me out. Showed me how improve my technique (wow what a difference) and the 2nd time we went i ran for 38 minutes non stop and managed 5k💪 All be it my time is slow....but now i know I can do it I can improve on that.

I also think the start stop was hindering me too as I struggled to get going again once I stopped.
amazing! have you got any technique tips? I think this is stopping me progressing my time!

amazing! have you got any technique tips? I think this is stopping me progressing my time!
Some of the things she showed me was

Breath!! Many of us forget to breath properly...slow controlled breathing.

Uphill, use your arms more, smaller lighter steps more on your toes and if you have to slow down thats ok

Downhill, use your arms less to conserve energy, land more on your heals, again smaller steps

Posture, I found I was running head first so head up, stomach in and feel confidence and strength within. It may sound a bit daft but it honestly works x

Also think about your foot placement...try not to slam your foot down...rather than place it down heal first and lightly. This is a major part to prevent injuries x

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I am the same, constantly check. I use it on my watch, with the colder weather it’s usually covered which helps but I’m thinking of recording via Strava on my phone instead, which is tucked away in my belt.
I think 'good' is so relative to each individual, but also relative to the current day/ hour/ second that you're living. I can have an amazing run one day and then because of fatigue/ lack of sleep/ heat/ cold the next day's run will be terrible. So trying to hold yourself to some kind of extrinsic idea of 'good' that doesn't take into account any of the other potential mitigating factors for that run in my mind will make you more likely to injure yourself from over exertion and just make you dejected because you aren't achieving some kind of (probably random) standard you've set for yourself.

I would instead on focus on how you're feeling in the moment. How do your legs feel? Is there pop or are they heavy? How is your breathing? Can you slow it down/ control it more? What's your heart rate like? Try keeping it under 150bpm for a run. What's your posture like? Are your shoulders relaxed? There are so many other things and goals to focus on rather than just pace and time. I'd recommend thinking about a few that jump out to you as interesting or where you believe you could improve and focus on them :)

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.