The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hmm not sure, but do you know a Tropics rep? The Tamanu balm is good for random skin stuff.
I use bodyglide before every run. I've figured out where I chafe and apply it preventatively. Are you asking how to deal with areas that are chafed while they heal? If it's on thighs I'd recommend wearing tights that cover the area so it can't get worse. I also tend to chafe a bit around my armpits but that's never so bad to cause pain.
Thanks both! Yeah went for a couple of runs Saturday/ Sunday without thinking about it and got a bit of a thigh chafe and it’s still a bit sore! I don’t have a Tropics rep but I’ll see what I can dig out online, thank you!

I’ve also committed to 50 miles in January! Done 6 so far over 2 runs 🥴🤣

Thanks both! Yeah went for a couple of runs Saturday/ Sunday without thinking about it and got a bit of a thigh chafe and it’s still a bit sore! I don’t have a Tropics rep but I’ll see what I can dig out online, thank you!
Second the Tamanu balm it’s amazing

Reactions: 3
Hi everyone, I completed c25k during first lockdown but then gave up. I often suffered with terrible hip and groin pain particularly in the left side. I’m still having some pain now and it’s been so long since I ran at all. Any tips or is this par for the course. I literally do not how to get started again or joe the hell I even did it at all for that matter. the thought of al that effort and ohh I go soooo red it’s embarrassing. But afterwards I felt great just can not seem to force myself back to it at all😩
Welcome! Get checked by a physio but it's most likely a strength issue of weak muscles. If you go back in this thread I wrote out some easy exercises to help strengthen those muscles. Ideally you'd be looking at hip flexors, glute, hamstring and calf strengthening for better load absorption. That said I can't stress enough the importance to be assessed by a professional in person. I'm not a qualified physio or anything (I am a qualified run coach) so what I write about strength training is just from my own experience and what I've picked up from my physio and coach.

Hi everyone, I completed c25k during first lockdown but then gave up. I often suffered with terrible hip and groin pain particularly in the left side. I’m still having some pain now and it’s been so long since I ran at all. Any tips or is this par for the course. I literally do not how to get started again or joe the hell I even did it at all for that matter. the thought of al that effort and ohh I go soooo red it’s embarrassing. But afterwards I felt great just can not seem to force myself back to it at all😩
Obviously not ideal timing, but I would speak to your gp. I’ve had ongoing issues with my hips for a few years now, diagnosed via an MRI.

Obviously not ideal timing, but I would speak to your gp. I’ve had ongoing issues with my hips for a few years now, diagnosed via an MRI.
Oh god really 😩thank you hope you are doing well xx

Welcome! Get checked by a physio but it's most likely a strength issue of weak muscles. If you go back in this thread I wrote out some easy exercises to help strengthen those muscles. Ideally you'd be looking at hip flexors, glute, hamstring and calf strengthening for better load absorption. That said I can't stress enough the importance to be assessed by a professional in person. I'm not a qualified physio or anything (I am a qualified run coach) so what I write about strength training is just from my own experience and what I've picked up from my physio and coach.
Thank you I will check out your advice xx

Well it’s now the 5th Jan and I haven’t been on a single run since NYE 😓

I’m 6 weeks pregnant and my running has taken a huge nose dive, I feel so slow already and my resting heart rate is so high, finding it all really hard. It’s also been so so icy here since NYD, black ice covering the roads and the trails! I’ve been on my bike Zwifting instead but it’s not quite the same. I need to get out soon I think or it’ll be even harder! Are there any other pregnant runners here who can reassure me that it’ll all be OK?!

Reactions: 2
I’m starting with walking 5k a day to build myself up. And the route I go is a very muddy field, walking it is a workout in itself to be honest. lol.
I’ve got the worst blisters from new boots so tryin to get them sorted which is hard when I’m walking every day and I have to wear the boots due to the mud. Country side living cons....mud everywhere!
I’ve got the app ready to redownload once the ice n mud, blisters go lol

wondering if someone can help me. I want to start running again as I now live far away from my gym. My normal exercise is weights. I've got a reasonable amount of stamina but that is definitely leaning more towards strength than cardio.
My fear is that I will lose muscle running. Is that likely to happen? I've always been piddly and I've worked so hard to gain strength but I need something as I am feeling really low these days and running did really help last time.

wondering if someone can help me. I want to start running again as I now live far away from my gym. My normal exercise is weights. I've got a reasonable amount of stamina but that is definitely leaning more towards strength than cardio.
My fear is that I will lose muscle running. Is that likely to happen? I've always been piddly and I've worked so hard to gain strength but I need something as I am feeling really low these days and running did really help last time.
No, you won't lose muscle as long as you eat a decent amount of food. That's a myth! If anything running will build muscles in your lower body.

Well it’s now the 5th Jan and I haven’t been on a single run since NYE 😓

I’m 6 weeks pregnant and my running has taken a huge nose dive, I feel so slow already and my resting heart rate is so high, finding it all really hard. It’s also been so so icy here since NYD, black ice covering the roads and the trails! I’ve been on my bike Zwifting instead but it’s not quite the same. I need to get out soon I think or it’ll be even harder! Are there any other pregnant runners here who can reassure me that it’ll all be OK?!
Check out @runningforcarbs on insta. She's a runner but recently had a baby and didn't run much through her pregnancy but did crossfit instead.

No, you won't lose muscle as long as you eat a decent amount of food. That's a myth! If anything running will build muscles in your lower body.
perfect thank you so much for replying! My legs are weak so could do with some strength but I have a really strong core that I've worked really bloody hard on and the thought of losing it was putting me off running

• Heart
perfect thank you so much for replying! My legs are weak so could do with some strength but I have a really strong core that I've worked really bloody hard on and the thought of losing it was putting me off running
The strong core will really help you out! If you want to maintain your upper body strength then just add in some other exercises. I'm a big fan of push ups as they're so straightforward but an absolute killer. Doing the 100 push up challenge for lockdown (RIP my arms)

• Heart
The strong core will really help you out! If you want to maintain your upper body strength then just add in some other exercises. I'm a big fan of push ups as they're so straightforward but an absolute killer. Doing the 100 push up challenge for lockdown (RIP my arms)
My hope is that running will motivate me to do the other workouts. I've tried but I think not being in a gym environment just isn't the same and then I just get lazy and unmotivated. My plan is to run and then come home and do the workouts which I think will work.

a push up challenge sounds horrendous but go you. I should probably do one cause I have chopstick arms 😂

My hope is that running will motivate me to do the other workouts. I've tried but I think not being in a gym environment just isn't the same and then I just get lazy and unmotivated. My plan is to run and then come home and do the workouts which I think will work.

a push up challenge sounds horrendous but go you. I should probably do one cause I have chopstick arms 😂
I'm not really feeling that safe about going out at the moment so I'm trying to maintain my fitness in the house... bike intervals are a killer! I personally hate the gym and having all those sweaty men around and people looking at you 😂 there's always that weird Gym Smell as well!

I have the flabbiest bingo wings going on so I'm trying to turn some of it into muscle. Also I have no boobs and apparently growing your pecs can increase your curves? I'm there honestly.

Reactions: 1
I'm not really feeling that safe about going out at the moment so I'm trying to maintain my fitness in the house... bike intervals are a killer! I personally hate the gym and having all those sweaty men around and people looking at you 😂 there's always that weird Gym Smell as well!

I have the flabbiest bingo wings going on so I'm trying to turn some of it into muscle. Also I have no boobs and apparently growing your pecs can increase your curves? I'm there honestly.
Ah the sweaty men are my gym reward 😂 I understand. When I first started the gym I was an anxious mess has I had no strength at all due to losing any muscle when I had anorexia. Got there for my work out class and quickly realised that no one gives a single tit what anyone else was doing and now I'm at ease. I do make a point of being friendly to everyone though. If I see someone new in my class I always try and smile at least.

Have you tried tricep curls for the bingo wings? Get something like a weight of a band, start with your arms above your head and pull it over the back of your head. Works a really thin muscle in the arm apparently and can help with bingo wings. Also yes that is true, the more prominent the chest muscles the rounder and bigger your boobs look. Not sure it's enough to increase a cup size or anything but they do look rounder and fuller 😂

I mean they won't grow them but the firmer muscle underneath can help them stand out more.... Or just embrace the no boob life like me lol (I should point out it took me several years of crippling body image to get to this place) but I hardly notice it any more and it makes running and other sport so much easier!

My new runners arrived today and I’m in love. They’re so pretty... I don’t really want to wear them outside 😂

• Haha
So glad i have found this thread! On and off ‘runner’ for years now but only through the beginning of first lockdown up until now i have really stuck to it...although i am still rubbish. Weightlifter at heart but i do love how running makes me feel after! I can only manage 5k at around 28 mins but am trying to push for 10k, it’s just that i get bored when i run and just thinking about the end 🥴

I have also spent the best part of a year looking for some decent running trainers, i just bought the adidas ultra boosts but i like a lot of comfort and bounce, and i tried them on and instantly knew they weren’t going to do it for me.

I’m tempted to get the on-running trainers, anyone had them?

Today in my couch to 10k journey I ran 20 solid minutes not stopping. TWENTY. 7 weeks ago a couple of minutes was enough to wipe me off and now I can do 20!!! I think I am running slightly faster than the pace it wants you to run at, which so far hasn't been a problem but may be something I need to consider going further (apart from the 5'49 K i did the other day which was ridiculously fast as I usually sit around 6'49).

So glad i have found this thread! On and off ‘runner’ for years now but only through the beginning of first lockdown up until now i have really stuck to it...although i am still rubbish. Weightlifter at heart but i do love how running makes me feel after! I can only manage 5k at around 28 mins but am trying to push for 10k, it’s just that i get bored when i run and just thinking about the end 🥴

I have also spent the best part of a year looking for some decent running trainers, i just bought the adidas ultra boosts but i like a lot of comfort and bounce, and i tried them on and instantly knew they weren’t going to do it for me.

I’m tempted to get the on-running trainers, anyone had them?
I went to a proper place to get my trainers and had gait analysis done etc - and it really has changed my running, and my ankle stability! I would recommend this if you can hold off getting new ones until shops can reopen.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.