The Running Thread šŸƒā€ā™€ļø

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
why did you switch? what did you think of the titbits?
I liked my Fitbit. Most recently I had the Charge 2.

I mainly switched because I inherited my partners old Garmin after he bought a new one and I felt like it was more accurate with tracking my runs. It has built in GPS and music so I can run without my phone whereas I needed the phone to connect the Fitbit to the GPS. I also like the Garmin Coach programmes that they do and I can use it for more sports - yoga and snowboarding are both sports I do that I can track using the Garmin.

The Fitbit was great as a starter activity tracker, and it did get me out running - I did 2 10k races using it, but I during lockdown I started running more regularly and I just felt I needed a bit more insight than what the Fitbit could give me.

Reactions: 1
I liked my Fitbit. Most recently I had the Charge 2.

I mainly switched because I inherited my partners old Garmin after he bought a new one and I felt like it was more accurate with tracking my runs. It has built in GPS and music so I can run without my phone whereas I needed the phone to connect the Fitbit to the GPS. I also like the Garmin Coach programmes that they do and I can use it for more sports - yoga and snowboarding are both sports I do that I can track using the Garmin.

The Fitbit was great as a starter activity tracker, and it did get me out running - I did 2 10k races using it, but I during lockdown I started running more regularly and I just felt I needed a bit more insight than what the Fitbit could give me.
Thank you so much for your response.

I also do yoga and would love to run without my phone, so I guess a Garmin might be more suitable for me.

I used to but recently moved to garmin
Can I ask what your experiences are?

Couldn't be without my Garmin! I have a Forerunner 235 at the moment, hoping to save enough to upgrade to a Fenix 6S soon though.

Pleased to see this thread :) I've got a half in a few weeks, so I'm meant to be tapering (I keep forgetting how close it is though and going on runs that are too long... 10 miles last night) and then I've got my first marathon at the end of next May. Already bricking it!

Reactions: 2
Iā€™ll elaborate, I have had fitbits for years, most recently the charge 4. I loved it, but as I got more into running, I found the pacing to be hard to use while running and the distance to be offā€¦ I ran a 10k race, and my Fitbit reckoned I had run 11.2k, I had not!

so I but the bullet and bought a garmin. If youā€™re into running and want data/stats and accuracy I would 100% recommend a garmin over a Fitbit.
Iā€™m a member of a local running club, last night on a run with 11 other people, 5 of us had garmin and the distance we ran was all within 0.03miles of each other. The Fitbit users were up to 250m different to the garmin distancesā€¦.

Reactions: 5
Couldn't be without my Garmin! I have a Forerunner 235 at the moment, hoping to save enough to upgrade to a Fenix 6S soon though.
My OH has the Fenix 6s. He loves it. He goes hiking a lot and says it's invaluable for being able to get really detailed maps etc up on the screen and view his exact location so he can cross reference with his paper maps.

My OH has the Fenix 6s. He loves it. He goes hiking a lot and says it's invaluable for being able to get really detailed maps etc up on the screen and view his exact location so he can cross reference with his paper maps.
Yes, my OH has the larger face version and he loves the map feature. It'd be a massive upgrade to my current garmin - could download routes onto the watch, track back a route if I get lost, download music onto it, has much better battery and loads more different modes for recording activity (mine only has cycling, treadmill running, outdoor running and 'other' without downloading extra apps).

That being said, I would recommend people look at the Forerunner series and even at second hand 235s because it's a fab little watch if you're running regularly and don't need the additional features. My main reason for wanting an upgrade is that my watch charges to 94% over night and then drops about 5% per mile of active running/GPS tracking, so for marathon training long runs etc. it will struggle. I have had it nearly 3.5 years though!

Has anyone else had the experience of getting really low blood sugar when building up how long you are running?

I'm aware of the need to fuel when doing 'endurance' level stuff, but I'm coming to the end of a C25K programme and I'm on 2x15 minute runs with a 2 minute walk break so I should be managing what I'm doing now. I run at a sensible pace (11min/mile) with a group, who all seem to be fine even though some of them are definitely less fit than me.

When we're getting to the end, I'm often getting numbness in my face, tingly hands, and feeling really dizzy. I'm not overly out of breath, it's not a case of overexerting myself like that but tonight the world properly started spinning and I had to cut and walk earlier than I would have liked (managed the 15, was gonna do another 5 to get back but couldn't) to avoid fainting. We got back to the cars and luckily there were some fruit pastilles I could down to bring myself back up.

I'm a nurse and fairly confident it was a hypo, but I don't understand why; I'm not diabetic, and I had eaten a reasonable time before my run so shouldn't have been hitting the wall. It was a bit warm but not insanely hot. It was quite scary though. I've literally gone and bought some glucose tablets to have in my pocket because I don't know how to avoid it happening again and if I was on my own further away from base I could genuinely have ended up blacking out.

Sorry for too much information, but runners trots? Anyone got any advice please?
Was such a strange one for me. When i was training for my first half, i used to get post run cramps anytime i ran >15km. the second half marathon, that completely went away and then again when i ran my last marathon. I didn't change my diet, i think my body just adapted.

Saying that, i had cramps again after my last 10k race but really went for it and perhaps pushed myself a liiiiittle hard.

I really want to get into running and have tried to before but I can never find comfortable trainers so my feet end up hurting so I give it up. Can anyone recommend some trainers that are good for flat feet that are a reasonable price?

is there a running shop near you? (Sweatshop, up and running, runners need etc) they often offer gait analysis and can help you find shoes that are suitable for your feet and your gait (the way you run) I have always got my runners doing this, and I swear by them. Insoles are often a better way of dealing with flat feet that the shoes themselves

I haven't posted here for agggggggges. I refuses to run over summer cos it was too hot, but decided I don't have that excuse anymore.

I also got a puppy in April, so want to start going out with her. The dogs normally get me up around 6am, so I think my plan is to run a mile a day. Nothing too taxing, but I think I'm more likely to actually do it if I'm not focussing on doing 5km. Will I get fitter though?

I haven't posted here for agggggggges. I refuses to run over summer cos it was too hot, but decided I don't have that excuse anymore.

I also got a puppy in April, so want to start going out with her. The dogs normally get me up around 6am, so I think my plan is to run a mile a day. Nothing too taxing, but I think I'm more likely to actually do it if I'm not focussing on doing 5km. Will I get fitter though?
Yes, if you do it on a regular basis soon you will want to run more than 1 mile as it will feel so easy to you.

I find it better to start slow and be patient and simply enjoy the process.

Any tips for painful muscles - shoulders/neck? I love running, especially during the summer but i always drops off in winter as I think I must tense when I run in cold weather and I get awful shoulder/neck pain and it forces me to stop and walk home
What am I doing wrong šŸ˜… I warm up and all that and try my best to not tense my muscles but itā€™s kind of impossible. Are there any tips Iā€™m missing

Yes! Flap your arms around regularly when youā€™re runningā€¦ I find that helps me so much!

also, I swear by my microwave wheat bag, 2 mins in the microwave when I get back from a run helps loosen my shoulders

Has anyone else had the experience of getting really low blood sugar when building up how long you are running?

I'm aware of the need to fuel when doing 'endurance' level stuff, but I'm coming to the end of a C25K programme and I'm on 2x15 minute runs with a 2 minute walk break so I should be managing what I'm doing now. I run at a sensible pace (11min/mile) with a group, who all seem to be fine even though some of them are definitely less fit than me.

When we're getting to the end, I'm often getting numbness in my face, tingly hands, and feeling really dizzy. I'm not overly out of breath, it's not a case of overexerting myself like that but tonight the world properly started spinning and I had to cut and walk earlier than I would have liked (managed the 15, was gonna do another 5 to get back but couldn't) to avoid fainting. We got back to the cars and luckily there were some fruit pastilles I could down to bring myself back up.

I'm a nurse and fairly confident it was a hypo, but I don't understand why; I'm not diabetic, and I had eaten a reasonable time before my run so shouldn't have been hitting the wall. It was a bit warm but not insanely hot. It was quite scary though. I've literally gone and bought some glucose tablets to have in my pocket because I don't know how to avoid it happening again and if I was on my own further away from base I could genuinely have ended up blacking out.
I'm not sure anyone got back to you - have a look at electrolyte tablets. I drink half a tablet every day (they dissolve in water) and this stopped the above happening to me.

Yes! Flap your arms around regularly when youā€™re runningā€¦ I find that helps me so much!

also, I swear by my microwave wheat bag, 2 mins in the microwave when I get back from a run helps loosen my shoulders
Iā€™ll give that a go, thank you! Iā€™ve noticed that when I put my phone in my sports bra during my run (šŸ˜…) that I tend to hold whatever arm is on that side of my body closer and move it less which causes muscle pain in my shoulder, so I feel like moving my arms around would probably make a big difference as you say!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.