The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What are your feet like?

Ran for years and my feet are just a mess of callouses and blisters no matter what shoes - it is just the volume of running I do. Bit sick of it now and softening them up even if it makes running harder lol. Surely I'm not the only one with bad feet?!
My feet are soooo bad!

What are your feet like?

Ran for years and my feet are just a mess of callouses and blisters no matter what shoes - it is just the volume of running I do. Bit sick of it now and softening them up even if it makes running harder lol. Surely I'm not the only one with bad feet?!
Horrible 😞

Does anyone have advice for increasing leg strength/speed? I'm up to running 30 minutes plus now in Z3, but just literally cannot get my legs to move faster even though I'm not out of breath... it's really frustrating as I want to try and push myself more but my body isn't letting me!

What are your feet like?

My feet as a mess, lots of callouses, blisters and my big toe nails often get bruised, turn black and fall off :sick: I'm running my first marathon later this year and worried about my feet already. Fear I'll lose all my toe nails and finish with tons of blisters!

Does anyone have advice for increasing leg strength/speed? I'm up to running 30 minutes plus now in Z3, but just literally cannot get my legs to move faster even though I'm not out of breath... it's really frustrating as I want to try and push myself more but my body isn't letting me!
I started doing stair sprints recently and I think that's really helping build strength in my legs. Maybe also try running with someone who is just slightly faster than you to try and keep up with them. I just ran my fastest 5k and it was because I was running with someone ever so slightly faster than I would normally go but I felt compelled to keep pushing on to keep up with them. Joining park runs etc are good for that if you don't know any other runners as you can scope out someone in the first few minutes of the run who look like they're going at a good pace for you then follow them and try to keep up with them!

Speed work/interval type training, eg running as fast as you can for 0.5 miles, then walking for 1 mile (you can obviously alter the distances) is also meant to be good but I've not personally tried that yet. I'm planning on starting to try speed work stuff next week so will report back!

Also more generally I would say just give yourself time and keep at it. If you want to go faster I'm sure it will come with time, I've been running for about 3 years and have only managed to start increasing my pace in the last couple of months. And you know what if you don't get any quicker but enjoy it and/or get benefit out of running then so be it, not everyone needs to be super speedy :)

Last edited:
What are your feet like?

My toenails are like constant fungus fields. Like.. they're thick and white or just not there. So annoying. :sick:

Parkrun are making their decision today. I know it may depend on the June 14th announcement, but ut does look good.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hello I am new here!

I've been running since I was a young girl, just children's track and field to start with, then up to my first 10k when I was 12, my first half when I was 15 and my first full when I was 19. 2013 (age 18/19) was my 'best' year, breaking 40 mins for 10k (39:07) and running sub 1:30 halves consistently. However my BMI got down to 13.0 🤨 and I had to stop (I'd been hospitalised for this 'issue' previously in 2010). I pretty much stopped running completely, until 2019 when I felt okay to start running again - I started incredibly slowly and it was very disheartening. Fast forward to today - I'm a solid 20kgs heavier (than 2013). I've not raced any 10ks or halves, but I've done a 25k (15.5miles) in 1:52 and a marathon in 3:38 in the past two months - so I am definitely getting my fitness back 😅 👍 Been doing lots of parkruns too (I'm in New Zealand so we've been having them since June last year no issues) and regularly finishing in the top 3 females which is super encouraging!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I’m sad about parkrun, I was so looking forward to it. I actually volunteer more than I run, but I remember the last one so vividly. Stood at the start with the run director and a couple of volunteers - one of them said “enjoy this, I don’t think there will be another one for a while”.

I’m currently out of any impact exercise for the foreseeable due to a grade 2+ calf tear. Meant to be doing a 10k first weekend in July which obviously isn’t happening, and hopes for a sub 2 hour at reading in November are slowly fading.

Oh, and as a final kick in the teeth, my hydration vest that I ordered 6 weeks ago arrived yesterday, just in time for me to not use it in the hot weather

• Sad
I’m doing a 10K run on Sunday - first ever run with multiple people around so will be interesting to see how I find it before my half marathon in a couple of months (fingers crossed this is still happening!)

I’m doing a 10K run on Sunday - first ever run with multiple people around so will be interesting to see how I find it before my half marathon in a couple of months (fingers crossed this is still happening!)
Good luck! At least the weather will have cooled down a little bit by then!

Thanks - yes thankfully. It’s quite a bit off road which I have never done before so should be an interesting experience, only signed up for it last week so bit last minute haha.
I love off-road running. I would say, because of it being off-road, don’t be disappointed if you’re a little slower than you were hoping for - it might just be me, but I find off-road is harder than road running!

Reactions: 2
Anyone else find it crazy how quickly you lose fitness?!
I got to the point where I could regularly run a 5k and even doing some 10ks and 15ks - not super fast but all without stopping.
I took a month off to recover from a knee injury and I’m now struggling to run for longer than 10 mins without getting out of breath, when before I could run for an hour and a half 😭

Reactions: 3
Anyone else find it crazy how quickly you lose fitness?!
I got to the point where I could regularly run a 5k and even doing some 10ks and 15ks - not super fast but all without stopping.
I took a month off to recover from a knee injury and I’m now struggling to run for longer than 10 mins without getting out of breath, when before I could run for an hour and a half 😭
It’s absolutely mad how quickly it goes when it takes so long to build up. Perhaps try a couch to 5/10K app to help build back up a bit?

• Heart
I’m absolutely gutted 😞 iv not ran for almost 5 weeks, it all started with a sore lower back that now moves back and forth to my side 😢 I can’t sit for very long and as soon as I get out of bed in the morning it full boom flares up I need to ice it straight away and take ibuprofen some mornings it takes a good two hours before I can move without to much pain, iv been doing stretches and strengthening exercises several times a day to.
but as the day goes on it gets better and I can move freely with some pain, iv got an appointment with the chiropractor on the 26th June 🙏🏻 I really need to stop going onto YT and google I’m giving myself the fear as to what it could be 😢

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.