The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really want to get into running and have tried to before but I can never find comfortable trainers so my feet end up hurting so I give it up. Can anyone recommend some trainers that are good for flat feet that are a reasonable price?

Running shop plus custom orthotics with arch support. Then you can get neutral shoes, rather than the more expensive stability ones. You'll likely need to get about 2 sizes larger than usual to fit the orthotics in and have the standard one size increase to allow for your feet swelling if you do more than a ten minute trot.

I'm using On shoes at present, but I've got my eye on some Innov-8 for going offroad through the winter.

I know these aren't cheap, but you're buying running shoes, not trainers. And you don't want to duck up your feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips and back from not having a decent foundation to your running.

Any tips for painful muscles - shoulders/neck? I love running, especially during the summer but i always drops off in winter as I think I must tense when I run in cold weather and I get awful shoulder/neck pain and it forces me to stop and walk home
What am I doing wrong 😅 I warm up and all that and try my best to not tense my muscles but it’s kind of impossible. Are there any tips I’m missing

Are you pushing your head forward when you're running? That would cause neck and shoulder pain. other than that, getting a buff/gaiter would help keep your neck warm, along with a good hat.

Reactions: 1
I haven't posted here for agggggggges. I refuses to run over summer cos it was too hot, but decided I don't have that excuse anymore.

I also got a puppy in April, so want to start going out with her. The dogs normally get me up around 6am, so I think my plan is to run a mile a day. Nothing too taxing, but I think I'm more likely to actually do it if I'm not focussing on doing 5km. Will I get fitter though?
You’ll get fitter but be careful with running every day if you’re not used to it - I would give yourself rest days/walk in between days until your body is used to the impact. Or just do varying run/walk intervals to mix it up! Depending on the breed most dogs aren’t recommended to run until at least 1 year old - especially not if on lead. Larger breeds need to be older 🙂 it is great fun to run with the dogs though and mine love it!

Reactions: 5
You’ll get fitter but be careful with running every day if you’re not used to it - I would give yourself rest days/walk in between days until your body is used to the impact. Or just do varying run/walk intervals to mix it up! Depending on the breed most dogs aren’t recommended to run until at least 1 year old - especially not if on lead. Larger breeds need to be older 🙂 it is great fun to run with the dogs though and mine love it!
It's ok, I'm a vet nurse so I'm good with the dog info ☺

I was running regularly until summer, so should warm up into it again quickly, I hope! I was just too focused on running 5k and I was struggling to fit it around work, so thinking shorter distances more regularly might work better for me.

It's ok, I'm a vet nurse so I'm good with the dog info ☺

I was running regularly until summer, so should warm up into it again quickly, I hope! I was just too focused on running 5k and I was struggling to fit it around work, so thinking shorter distances more regularly might work better for me.
I think your body would cope better with a couple of 5k runs a week than a mile every single day

Reactions: 3
When I did RED January I injured myself because I was doing 5k minimum every day, I reckon if you’re just doing a mile and keep in mind that some days you may need to walk most of it you’ll be ok. I would just see how you go with it and keep the pace slower than you’d expect; a mile of running isn’t that taxing on the body.

OH has his first marathon next Sunday. I’m feeling less than well today and I’m terrified I’ve caught covid again - despite being double jabbed and still mask wearing - or just a bad cold (there’s been one going around work which seems to take people out for about three days) and I’ll pass it on to him for next week. Bit much to tell him to sleep elsewhere and stay away from me?! 😂😬

Has anyone else had the experience of getting really low blood sugar when building up how long you are running?

I'm aware of the need to fuel when doing 'endurance' level stuff, but I'm coming to the end of a C25K programme and I'm on 2x15 minute runs with a 2 minute walk break so I should be managing what I'm doing now. I run at a sensible pace (11min/mile) with a group, who all seem to be fine even though some of them are definitely less fit than me.

When we're getting to the end, I'm often getting numbness in my face, tingly hands, and feeling really dizzy. I'm not overly out of breath, it's not a case of overexerting myself like that but tonight the world properly started spinning and I had to cut and walk earlier than I would have liked (managed the 15, was gonna do another 5 to get back but couldn't) to avoid fainting. We got back to the cars and luckily there were some fruit pastilles I could down to bring myself back up.

I'm a nurse and fairly confident it was a hypo, but I don't understand why; I'm not diabetic, and I had eaten a reasonable time before my run so shouldn't have been hitting the wall. It was a bit warm but not insanely hot. It was quite scary though. I've literally gone and bought some glucose tablets to have in my pocket because I don't know how to avoid it happening again and if I was on my own further away from base I could genuinely have ended up blacking out.
Out of interest, are you sweating when you run. I have been struggling all summer with the heat. I don't sweat when I run and after about 3k my head starts to feel like it's going to explode, then I get dizzy and nauseous. During winter I was comfortably running 10 to 12k 4 times a week. My sister has a similar problem and was diagnosed with Hashimotos

Finally decided I am brave enough to come on here….

Used to run a lot (too much), got injured (18 months out or so with AT) and ill and stopped.

Now started again slowly, 3-4 runs/week, max 8 miles with the dog so lots of stops 🙄.

Trying to stop myself increase weekly as that is when I will get ill again.

Reactions: 3
I’ve got a toenail blister after a trail run the other day…

it’s so sore. Apologies for the grossness, but do I pop it or leave it? 😩

I’ve got a toenail blister after a trail run the other day…

it’s so sore. Apologies for the grossness, but do I pop it or leave it? 😩
I am never one to pop spots or blisters but I would carefully pop it - I had a blood blister under my toenail a while ago and my toenail started lifting. I lost the toenail anyway but it was good to relieve the pressure (I sterilised a needle and popped it 😰).

Pop it if it is bothering you as it'll pop under pressure anyways

I only leave them if I can get away with it
It’s getting bigger and bigger, been trying to avoid popping it but after a trail run in shoes I’ve not worn in ages the other day with loads of hills it was so sore on this mornings run I think it will have to go….

I try to leave stuff like that alone. I figure it''s there for a reason, usually healing or protective so why mess with our bodies natural defences but clearly I'm in the minority.

I try to leave stuff like that alone. I figure it''s there for a reason, usually healing or protective so why mess with our bodies natural defences but clearly I'm in the minority.
I normally am the same, but there was so much pressure I couldn’t wear shoes without a lot of pain. I didn’t need to burst it myself in the end, had a bath and it started draining itself 🤢

• Haha
I normally am the same, but there was so much pressure I couldn’t wear shoes without a lot of pain. I didn’t need to burst it myself in the end, had a bath and it started draining itself 🤢
Perfect, must have been ready. I leave the skin on once it's popped until it's hardened rather than use a plaster (if I can of course, not so easy in the winter)

sorry this is funny, it is so grim, but we have all been there at some point!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Got a few friends trying to convince me to do an Ultra but I value my feet too much to bother 😂 #respectthefeet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.