The Running Thread πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got some new trainers at the weekend and the shop was so helpful - must have tried about 15 pairs on and the guy was super knowledgeable and told me mine had too much support and my new pair are so much better already!

Reactions: 5
Anyone got advice for numb feet? I get it whenever I walk or run a long way, all across the bottom of my feet. My shoes fit fine (properly fitted Hoka running shoes) and I'm not massively overweight so I'm not sure what's causing it. I don't even have to sit down to make it go away, just stand still for under a minute. But if I keep going and going, the numbness ascends all the way up to my knees.
Seconding the poster who mentioned the way they're laced. I have actually had this issue with a Hoka pair, they are just too narrow, despite seemingly fitting well and being comfortable. I would get numbness and also a burning feeling on my soles. Size up and go for a shoe with a wider fit is my advice (worked for me).

Reactions: 1
Hello :)

I am about to finish a "Couch to 5K" podcast. 😎
The thing is, I should have actually been able to run 5K on day one... I have a basic level of fitness, but I am so lazy!
What helped me a lot is this friendly voice spurring me on "only 60 seconds left", "you can do it", "now walk for three minutes and catch your breath" etc and the fact that it was kind of "policed" that I ran the time I was told to run.

So now I wonder if there is something like a "follow-up" podcast? Or running podcasts that tell you when you ran a certain time, that motivate you during the run, that have different music etc?

How do you all run? With music, in silence, with podcasts?
Thanks for your advice :)

Reactions: 2

The thing is, I should have actually been able to run 5K on day one... I have a basic level of fitness, but I am so lazy!
What helped me a lot is this friendly voice spurring me on "only 60 seconds left", "you can do it", "now walk for three minutes and catch your breath" etc and the fact that it was kind of "policed" that I ran the time I was told to run.

So now I wonder if there is something like a "follow-up" podcast? Or running podcasts that tell you when you ran a certain time, that motivate you during the run, that have different music etc?

The Nike run club app has guided runs, you can choose by distance or time, some of them also talk you through things like fartlek. I use that quite a lot and think it’s pretty good, plus you can listen to your music at the same time

Reactions: 4

There is, indeed. Running podcasts for C25K graduates - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I have some frankly shocking news.

After the last attempts at a walk round the block faltered due to a) my going back to work and doing 7000+ a day there and b) Mr D losing interest thanks to prolonged reduced hours at work and an absence of daylight or movement, he tried out my fancy new scales last week and was horrified at his visceral fat percentage along with being the 'wrong side of a healthy BMI', so when I repeated the suggestion that we could go and walk around the nearest park as an exercise, he accepted - and actually got up to do it this morning.

He, of course, being far slimmer than I am and not hampered by joint and tendon issues, decided that running would be easy. I tried to encourage him to warm up a bit longer before starting, but by the time 'On your toes, not your heels and don't try to go too fas-', he was off. And promptly stopped 20 yards further on. I continued to walk whilst benignly smiling through his 'I've got a good base level of fitness' and saying that I could give him some pointers on gait when we're home as I could obviously see it from my position behind him. I could tell that, lovely guy though he is, there was probably an element of 'But you aren't exactly a runner, Dragon' in his eyes.

Anyhow, after the first lap, I felt warm, my hip pain wasn't worsening, I wasn't out of breath and perfectly able to talk - so I thought I'd try something. I lifted up slightly more on my toes, felt them flex and spread under my weight and, as everything felt OK, I put one foot in front of another and jogged the last half of the second lap.

So, compared to actually walking, I ran.

I. Ran.

I didn't need lions, tigers or bears chasing after me. I just needed to be warm, relaxed and in a decent sports bra.

I. Ran.

My heart kept up, my lungs could get air, my feet worked as feet should.

And I Ran.

I decided to go back to walking as soon as I felt my hip pain twinge slightly more, but I kept going for more than a single pace. More than he did, too, because I concentrated upon form and how my body felt.

I would have happily walked another lap and possibly a short jog again, but he was clearly in no shape to manage that, so we went home again, where I demolished a banana the moment I got my shoes off and dinner tasted great (lamb steak, boiled potatoes, leeks and peas). He, however, is snoring on the sofa and I'm quite happily doing some slow stretches in front of the telly before having a bath.

I've got two weeks off now (well, one working from home and one off). I am very tempted to go there without him to try this some more. Because I've just proven to myself that I can still run, albeit just a tiny distance, an almost tectonic pace - but I can still run.

In my head, I'm now planning a visit to the running shop that is literally one bus stop away from the park and eyeing up Parkrun for when they reopen. This may all be pipe dreams. But if I can still run, maybe they aren't that far fetched after all?

• Heart
Reactions: 11

After the last attempts at a walk round the block faltered due to a) my going back to work and doing 7000+ a day there and b) Mr D losing interest thanks to prolonged reduced hours at work and an absence of daylight or movement, he tried out my fancy new scales last week and was horrified at his visceral fat percentage along with being the 'wrong side of a healthy BMI', so when I repeated the suggestion that we could go and walk around the nearest park as an exercise, he accepted - and actually got up to do it this morning.

He, of course, being far slimmer than I am and not hampered by joint and tendon issues, decided that running would be easy. I tried to encourage him to warm up a bit longer before starting, but by the time 'On your toes, not your heels and don't try to go too fas-', he was off. And promptly stopped 20 yards further on. I continued to walk whilst benignly smiling through his 'I've got a good base level of fitness' and saying that I could give him some pointers on gait when we're home as I could obviously see it from my position behind him. I could tell that, lovely guy though he is, there was probably an element of 'But you aren't exactly a runner, Dragon' in his eyes.

Anyhow, after the first lap, I felt warm, my hip pain wasn't worsening, I wasn't out of breath and perfectly able to talk - so I thought I'd try something. I lifted up slightly more on my toes, felt them flex and spread under my weight and, as everything felt OK, I put one foot in front of another and jogged the last half of the second lap.

I. Ran.

I didn't need lions, tigers or bears chasing after me. I just needed to be warm, relaxed and in a decent sports bra.

I. Ran.

And I Ran.

I decided to go back to walking as soon as I felt my hip pain twinge slightly more, but I kept going for more than a single pace. More than he did, too, because I concentrated upon form and how my body felt.

I would have happily walked another lap and possibly a short jog again, but he was clearly in no shape to manage that, so we went home again, where I demolished a banana the moment I got my shoes off and dinner tasted great (lamb steak, boiled potatoes, leeks and peas). He, however, is snoring on the sofa and I'm quite happily doing some slow stretches in front of the telly before having a bath.

I've got two weeks off now (well, one working from home and one off). I am very tempted to go there without him to try this some more. Because I've just proven to myself that I can still run, albeit just a tiny distance, an almost tectonic pace - but I can still run.

In my head, I'm now planning a visit to the running shop that is literally one bus stop away from the park and eyeing up Parkrun for when they reopen. This may all be pipe dreams. But if I can still run, maybe they aren't that far fetched after all?
Brilliant, well done πŸ‘πŸ»

• Heart
Hihi, I haven't been back here in a while! I've set myself the goal not of running x distance, but of identifying all the parks near me (even the little ones) and working my way through running to each of them & back, working my way further out as I get through the closer ones. On Friday I managed to run to my favourite park and back which is 8.5km round trip, so very happy with that - now I can go there even if I don't have the time to walk there! Today, went to one that was a 6k round trip.

Also, I went for a run with my bf the other week and ran the fastest I ever have - he is super speedy, so it's motivating having him running ahead of me to try and chase him.

Thanks for the Nike run club recommendation! Will try that next

Well had my first run in weeks yesterday whoop whoop πŸ™Œ felt really good 😌 done not to bad either only felt I needed to stop and walk a couple of times πŸ‘πŸ» I was absolutely buzzing all day yesterday thinking iv turned a corner regarding my lack of motivation.
Well that was short lived 😞 woke up this morning with a sore lower back 😒 it has the feeling of when you get a stiff neck but it’s in your lower back, does anyone have any recommendations? Iv put voltarol on plus googled a few exercises and stretches that iv been doing, but certain ways I move it feels as if it will completely go. Thanks 😊

Well had my first run in weeks yesterday whoop whoop πŸ™Œ felt really good 😌 done not to bad either only felt I needed to stop and walk a couple of times πŸ‘πŸ» I was absolutely buzzing all day yesterday thinking iv turned a corner regarding my lack of motivation.
Well that was short lived 😞 woke up this morning with a sore lower back 😒 it has the feeling of when you get a stiff neck but it’s in your lower back, does anyone have any recommendations? Iv put voltarol on plus googled a few exercises and stretches that iv been doing, but certain ways I move it feels as if it will completely go. Thanks 😊
This might not be a short term solution, but Yoga poses for tight hips might help. Very often lower back pain is linked to tight hips and if your lower back was sore after a run then this might point towards it.

Completed c25k last year. Managed to put on 2 stone in the last 9 months being lazy, eating too much and being depressed due to various life events. So im back doing c25k, heavier than last time but I was doing ok but its raining all the time and I cant run in the rain πŸ˜• fingers crossed for some dry weather so I can get back to it and hopefully start to shed some of this weight

Went out again this evening with Mr D so I could wear my new fancy leggings and hoodie it was much warmer today, no breeze and it was bloody hard work, so much so, I walked the entire last lap because I'd had enough as my hip, which wasn't hurting at all at the start, began protesting after fifteen minutes. My foot, ankle and Achilles behaved itself, though, and I definitely found it easier to pick my feet up a bit more.

After we got back, he did some digging around my hip joint and found pretty much ever sore spot, trigger point and tender section on my pelvis, hip and upper thigh. I apparently have Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome, or, as I like to call it, bolloxed tendons and bursitis made worse by a sliding fall about 3/4 years ago where I pretty much did a full lunge and split, walloping the top of my knee/lower thigh flat on the floor with my other foot stretched out in front of me, followed by a deeply unpleasant cracking sound and a whole world of pain for months. At least, I think I only bolloxed the tendons, I've always been refused a further x-ray because I already had one showing some bursitis and inflammation. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody finally says 'so, how long ago was it that you broke your hip?

It probably sounds daft letting him do that, but rollering just didn't help at all and when he did it for the first time a couple of nights ago, after the initial JESUS MARY JOSEPH AND THE BLOODY DONKEY THAT HURTS, it actually stopped the pain in its tracks until I actually did 15 minutes today.

I get my fancy custom orthotics on Tuesday morning. I'm intending to be shopping for a new pair of shoes by midday. Very wide and deep ones. I'm almost excited.

And I'm ordering more leggings.

Are you arching your back too much, so your bum sticks out? As per my post ^^^, I deal with joint issues a lot (this one's just a new location) and what's called Anterior Pelvic Tilt (essentially, the way Insta Girls shove their arses back to get the smallest waist and biggest thigh gap for front selfies and the leggings advert arse for rear shots) can make your back feel terrible if you then unintentionally run like it.

I. Ran.

I. Ran.

And I Ran.

My husband started off by running from one lamppost to the next then he walked, very basic level of fitness! He now runs marathons, does mountain running etc and he is really fast and a brilliant runner Everyone has to start somewhere!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Went out again this evening with Mr D so I could wear my new fancy leggings and hoodie it was much warmer today, no breeze and it was bloody hard work, so much so, I walked the entire last lap because I'd had enough as my hip, which wasn't hurting at all at the start, began protesting after fifteen minutes. My foot, ankle and Achilles behaved itself, though, and I definitely found it easier to pick my feet up a bit more.

After we got back, he did some digging around my hip joint and found pretty much ever sore spot, trigger point and tender section on my pelvis, hip and upper thigh. I apparently have Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome, or, as I like to call it, bolloxed tendons and bursitis made worse by a sliding fall about 3/4 years ago where I pretty much did a full lunge and split, walloping the top of my knee/lower thigh flat on the floor with my other foot stretched out in front of me, followed by a deeply unpleasant cracking sound and a whole world of pain for months. At least, I think I only bolloxed the tendons, I've always been refused a further x-ray because I already had one showing some bursitis and inflammation. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody finally says 'so, how long ago was it that you broke your hip?

It probably sounds daft letting him do that, but rollering just didn't help at all and when he did it for the first time a couple of nights ago, after the initial JESUS MARY JOSEPH AND THE BLOODY DONKEY THAT HURTS, it actually stopped the pain in its tracks until I actually did 15 minutes today.

I get my fancy custom orthotics on Tuesday morning. I'm intending to be shopping for a new pair of shoes by midday. Very wide and deep ones. I'm almost excited.

And I'm ordering more leggings.

Are you arching your back too much, so your bum sticks out? As per my post ^^^, I deal with joint issues a lot (this one's just a new location) and what's called Anterior Pelvic Tilt (essentially, the way Insta Girls shove their arses back to get the smallest waist and biggest thigh gap for front selfies and the leggings advert arse for rear shots) can make your back feel terrible if you then unintentionally run like it.
Hey πŸ‘‹ I went for a little run this morning and iv noticed that I’m unconsciously pushing my tummy out, also I feel I’m running like an old lady trying not to get injured I may be over compensating πŸ₯΄

• Heart
Hey πŸ‘‹ I went for a little run this morning and iv noticed that I’m unconsciously pushing my tummy out, also I feel I’m running like an old lady trying not to get injured I may be over compensating πŸ₯΄

I think you might be!

One of the weird things that have happened recently has been that after twenty years of having no sense of my lower abdominal muscles working (a Caesarian section performed by what appeared to be somebody on work experience did not heal well, so I think I've had Diastesis Recti all that time), I had started with small effort abdominal exercises, mainly concentrating on my obliques at first (clams and other exercises where I move my legs outwards, backwards and across my centreline), but after a short time of starting again, I realised I could pull in the lower front muscles as well. Since that's happened, it's felt easier to move with my weight nearer my mid/forefoot and I can feel my foot working to absorb the impact and propel me forward. I'm realising just how much I did to make my posture worse and increase the physical impact of moving around.

This time round, I'm concentrating on small steps, rather than thundering around at top speed until something goes 'ping' or 'pop' shortly afterwards, which means I have to be aware of my lower abdominals pulling me in and upright, instead of lumbering forward and not using them. It might make you laugh, but have you heard of 'Harvest Knickers'? The name is a joke about how big/high they are - 'all is safely gathered in'. If I imagine my abdominals are a pair of those knickers, that works. I think if you are younger, slimmer and braver than me, a pair of high waist cycle shorts with compression in them give an idea of the area and sensation you should be getting from using the right muscles to keep you in a safe posture.

It also feels really good to stretch and lengthen those and your hip flexors - I do that safely by sitting on the end of my bed, laying back on it, tucking my backside in/flatten out the lumbar curve and letting my legs dangle towards the floor. I add a bit of exercise in by then slowly lifting one leg at a time, bent and straight, a few times before doing equally controlled two leg raises, bent and straight. And then I bring my knees up, roll to my side, lower them down again and push up with my arms to get to sitting, so I don't strain anything in trying to spring upright in one.

Does anyone else get severe knee pain during their PMS time of the month? I'm usually fine before PMS, but as soon as it starts, running kills my knees. I also don't feel as light when running. It feels as though my body is dragging as in I feel heavier and slower.

Any suggestions to mitigate this would be appreciated :)

What are your feet like?

Ran for years and my feet are just a mess of callouses and blisters no matter what shoes - it is just the volume of running I do. Bit sick of it now and softening them up even if it makes running harder lol. Surely I'm not the only one with bad feet?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.