The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Woohoo feel amazing this morning, did week 7 run 2 of the couch to 10k app. 18 mins straight of running, really pleased that.

I still struggle to motivate myself to get out for the run though even when I know I'm going to feel good after. Does anyone have any tips for staying motivated?

Reactions: 4
I’ve just managed my fastest and least painful runs in a while at 20 weeks pregnant. Have been struggling with running the past few weeks with pain in the soles of my feet, my hips, my knee and my bump and was starting to think my running days were numbered but have been diligently doing Pilates and physio and it’s really helped!

I would HIGHLY recommend Pilates to even non-pregnant runners, it’s actually amazing and I can’t believe I never tried it before!

Woohoo feel amazing this morning, did week 7 run 2 of the couch to 10k app. 18 mins straight of running, really pleased that.

I still struggle to motivate myself to get out for the run though even when I know I'm going to feel good after. Does anyone have any tips for staying motivated?
Really great progress! I don’t know if this would work for you but I like to look at my running stats and try and set myself a goal for the week (# of days or miles for example). I use strava and have lots of friends on it who are amazing at encouraging one another which really helps me when I’m feeling a bit demotivated!

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any tips for running when they feel like they can’t breathe so has to stop? Is it my breathing technique?

Does anyone have any tips for running when they feel like they can’t breathe so has to stop? Is it my breathing technique?
Slow down! Usually this means you're keeping a pace that's too much for your lungs. When I first got back into running my lungs burned, but then I slowed my pace, and after a week or so I could breathe without any breathing pain. If it continues past a week or so when you slow your pace look into seeing if you could have something called exercise-induced asthma. I know some people who had breathing trouble that didn't go away no matter what, but turned out they needed an inhaler.

Reactions: 3
Definitely slow your pace right down. Trying jogging at a pace where you could still have a conversation with someone.

Reactions: 4
Someone earlier posted about tight calves. Was there any resolution. I’m still struggling so much with my tight calves that I’m thinking I’m going to have to give up.

I’ve changed my shoes - which has helped one pain but not the overall tightness. I’ve gone back to the beginning of c25k but can’t get past week 2 the pain is just too much. I’ve beenfollowing guidance from the run experience and others. But looking for anything people have found. Getting quite desperate as I used to love running.

Reactions: 1
Someone earlier posted about tight calves. Was there any resolution. I’m still struggling so much with my tight calves that I’m thinking I’m going to have to give up.

I’ve changed my shoes - which has helped one pain but not the overall tightness. I’ve gone back to the beginning of c25k but can’t get past week 2 the pain is just too much. I’ve beenfollowing guidance from the run experience and others. But looking for anything people have found. Getting quite desperate as I used to love running.
Have you tried having a sports massage? I’ve never had one but have heard they are good for the legs.

Have you tried having a sports massage? I’ve never had one but have heard they are good for the legs.
thank you - I think it might. I did try one a few years ago but they guy didn't seem to know what he was doing - I'll see if I can find someone else.

It's amazing how sore tight calves can be - I was literally holding back tears while running last week.

Hi, I was struggling with tight calves around week 6 of C25K to the point I could barely walk when I was out running, had to hobble back home! I took two weeks out and used my foam roller daily. I stated back running shorter routes(3k) slowly with a proper warm up and cool down. Last week I ran my longest in a good while without any pain, it was also the first time I ditched the couch to 5k and just ran on my own! Hope you find out what is bothering your calves, it really is such a hinder ence when you really want to run!

Reactions: 2
I'm back running after a long break due to achilles tendonitis, which in turn caused weight gain (Christmas & lockdown definitely didn't help either mind you) 😬 started on just trying to get through a mile without stopping and I am gradually working my way back up. I'm managing 2 miles quite comfortably now so I'm going to start doing my 2 miles and pushing through to see how far I can go, aiming to be comfortably doing 3 miles (5K) in 2 weeks and then once again start working back to my 10K runs... so demoralising coming back from an injury

I face planted the pavement for the first time in a year this morning at the half way point of my run. Sat and cried for a minute through shock more than anything and was going to keep running but then when I got up my knee felt sore (have a nice lump and graze on it) so decided to walk home.

Not 100% if that's the right thing to have done because I feel guilty for not finishing the run 😂 and embarrassed as school run mums checked on me haha.

Going to see how the knee is tomorrow before deciding to have a rest day or not!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I face planted the pavement for the first time in a year this morning at the half way point of my run. Sat and cried for a minute through shock more than anything and was going to keep running but then when I got up my knee felt sore (have a nice lump and graze on it) so decided to walk home.

Not 100% if that's the right thing to have done because I feel guilty for not finishing the run 😂 and embarrassed as school run mums checked on me haha.

Going to see how the knee is tomorrow before deciding to have a rest day or not!
Oh no 🤦‍♀️ hope your ok 👍🏻

Haven’t run for two weeks as I stupidly fell out a tree last week 😂🙈 rejoined the gym today and running on a treadmill is a different ball game 😫

• Haha
I'm off running for a bit, having problems with my back, not sure what has caused it or what to do to make it better!

Went for a 5k this morning and just could not bring myself to push myself it was so slow and hard and I feel so bad for it being bad!

• Heart
Anyone has good running shoes to recommend?

I recently bought some Reebok (Energylux 2) which were supposedly tailored for running, but they really hurt my feet/sole. I don't think they're appropriate for running or perhaps it's because they're new. I just find the sole to be rather thick for a running shoe.

Anyone has good running shoes to recommend?

I recently bought some Reebok (Energylux 2) which were supposedly tailored for running, but they really hurt my feet/sole. I don't think they're appropriate for running or perhaps it's because they're new. I just find the sole to be rather thick for a running shoe.
To be honest you're best to go for a proper shoe fitting at a running shop where they can analyse your gait and recommend the type of shoe that will work for you. What suits my feet might not be what suits yours, currently I have New Balance 860 V10, which are stability shoes. I love them, but you might not need a stability trainer, so they might not be the right thing for you. Definitely worth investing in a good pair of trainers though, they're pricy but they are the only equipment you really need for running.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.