The Running Thread šŸƒā€ā™€ļø

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well done!! Did you manage to run the full 10k at the end of it? Did you have much running experience prior?
I did (not in 60 mins like they said but 70) but not bad considering at the start I couldnā€™t even run 2 mins without struggling! I used to run a few years back but ended up with a nasty kidney issue which stopped me and I never got back into running. I used to go to the gym a lot pre lockdown 1 though and did spin classes/weights/the step machine. But hadnā€™t done anything from March until November when I picked the app up!

Reactions: 2
I did (not in 60 mins like they said but 70) but not bad considering at the start I couldnā€™t even run 2 mins without struggling! I used to run a few years back but ended up with a nasty kidney issue which stopped me and I never got back into running. I used to go to the gym a lot pre lockdown 1 though and did spin classes/weights/the step machine. But hadnā€™t done anything from March until November when I picked the app up!
You've done amazing. 70 minutes is great, hope I'll be able to do it in a similar time when I get to that point.

You've done amazing. 70 minutes is great, hope I'll be able to do it in a similar time when I get to that point.
Thanks Iā€™m doing a half marathon in august so got a goal to get me moving haha. Iā€™ve been having gels whilst running which really seem to help me. Maybe psychological maybe not!
Iā€™m sure youā€™ll do well too - the app really does work itā€™s magic.

Reactions: 1
Thanks Iā€™m doing a half marathon in august so got a goal to get me moving haha. Iā€™ve been having gels whilst running which really seem to help me. Maybe psychological maybe not!
Iā€™m sure youā€™ll do well too - the app really does work itā€™s magic.
Is that virtual or in person? I've been tempted to sign up for some kind of race to give me further motivation but unsure with the logistics of it all.

Is that virtual or in person? I've been tempted to sign up for some kind of race to give me further motivation but unsure with the logistics of it all.
Itā€™s in person. It was due to be in May but has been delayed till august where they think it will be more likely to go ahead. Iā€™m hopeful as I just know I wouldnā€™t be able to do it alone round my town!

So I did mist short of 6k on Sunday. I ran three time last week. Hoping to go back out again tomorrow. Not as far, maybe 3k.

Reactions: 4
This post could be TMI but...let's see. I recently started running for the first time ever (doing Couch To 5k) and almost every time I run (I've done four runs so far) I get a really sharp pain in my pelvis. It pretty much stops as soon as I'm done running. I've had a smear recently and everything's all good, don't have any other symptoms so I'm inclined to think that it's not a 'women's problem' and could be tight hip flexors/muscles? Has this happened to anyone else?!

During couch to 5k, I got terrible calf pain and it prevented me from running the rest of the run šŸ˜¢ I do and have always stretched before and after the run. Does anyone have any other tips? Should I stop running for a while? šŸ˜­

Make sure your stretches before the run are dynamic stretches, so those which incorporate movement to warm up the legs. Iā€™d also really recommend a foam roller for calf pain. Thereā€™s lots of great YouTube videos with guidance on using a foam roller, and theyā€™re a really affordable piece of kit. Epsom salt baths with muscle soak is also a fave. šŸ¤žšŸ»

Also obviously if the pain is bad, do stop and walk for a bit, but if itā€™s just a mild discomfort that can be normal and just a build up of acid. Try and just slow it down when you feel that discomfort.

I hope thatā€™s helpful! Iā€™m also keen for advice cause every little helps and even experienced runners get niggles, twinges and pains.

• Heart
Start week 7 this week! šŸ˜¬

I thought my friend was also on C210K and was steaming ahead at me, turns out she's only on C25K so I don't feel so behind now šŸ˜‚

This post could be TMI but...let's see. I recently started running for the first time ever (doing Couch To 5k) and almost every time I run (I've done four runs so far) I get a really sharp pain in my pelvis. It pretty much stops as soon as I'm done running. I've had a smear recently and everything's all good, don't have any other symptoms so I'm inclined to think that it's not a 'women's problem' and could be tight hip flexors/muscles? Has this happened to anyone else?!
Where abouts in your pelvis?

So it was kind of right in the center (kind of my vagina!) so I worried myself for weeks - I've started doing stretches before and after running now and it's totally stopped.
Oh good. I have some weakness in my pubis, where the bones meet and can sometimes feeling them grating šŸ¤®

Last week I ran for the 1st time in months!
ran 2k without stopping, which I was expecting to do but my goal was to run to the local alpacas (my reward haha) and walked back across the fields so they were wet n muddy.
Today I went out for a walk but ended up running a bit. Again I run to the alpacas! Iā€™ve got to work out a route or 2 that is 5k.

Reactions: 4
During couch to 5k, I got terrible calf pain and it prevented me from running the rest of the run šŸ˜¢ I do and have always stretched before and after the run. Does anyone have any other tips? Should I stop running for a while? šŸ˜­
Be careful, I ignored calf pain for a while and I now have stress fracture from running so thatā€™s awesome. Do you have properly fitted running shoes? Have you checked that your technique is correct too?

Last week I ran for the 1st time in months!
ran 2k without stopping, which I was expecting to do but my goal was to run to the local alpacas (my reward haha) and walked back across the fields so they were wet n muddy.
Today I went out for a walk but ended up running a bit. Again I run to the alpacas! Iā€™ve got to work out a route or 2 that is 5k.
Well done! Aww thereā€™s a couple of alpacas on my usual run too šŸ˜Š

Chuffed to say Iā€™ve been keeping up with my running again since mid Feb now. 3-5 times a a week, minimum distance of 5K and been trying to up that to 6.5K (just over 4 miles), been trying to keep up with doing a long run on Saturdays too and done two 10Ks, went to do it this Saturday just gone but the weather was awful. I can deal with rain but the wind was absolutely insane, I attempted to set off but just ended up with a gob full of sand after about 30 seconds so I was like itā€™s a no from me!!! šŸ˜‚ Went and got a coffee from McDonaldā€™s to wash the sand down with and just after that it started hail stoning so hard I didnā€™t leave the car park until it stopped so I had a lucky escape really šŸ˜‚ the joys, roll on some decent weather it just makes staying motivated soooo much easier. The only reason Iā€™m gonna miss furlough is cos Iā€™ve got no excuse not to go.

Reactions: 3
Be careful, I ignored calf pain for a while and I now have stress fracture from running so thatā€™s awesome. Do you have properly fitted running shoes? Have you checked that your technique is correct too?
Thatā€™s why Iā€™m scared! I did go for one run with the calf pain there already and I think thatā€™s whatā€™s screwed it this time. šŸ˜¢

I have running shoes and not sure about my technique tbh as Iā€™m a newbie šŸ˜¬

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m scared! I did go for one run with the calf pain there already and I think thatā€™s whatā€™s screwed it this time. šŸ˜¢

I have running shoes and not sure about my technique tbh as Iā€™m a newbie šŸ˜¬
If you have pain, you need to rest for a few days until the pain has completely subsided. Have a look at some YouTube videos and pay attention to how your feet should be landing, your posture, swing of your arms, stride, etc. I was landing my feet wrong for years, which I realised after going for running assessments, and after correcting my technique it has made a world of difference.

When you say you have running shoes, have you been to get your gait analysed and got correctly fitted shoes or have you just bought off the shelf?

This post from trackclubbabe about inclusivity is fantastic šŸ˜Š I was reading the Runners World forum the other day about what is considered a good 10K time after I was mega happy for getting just over an hour and 30 seconds and it made me feel like crap cos people were saying stuff like ā€˜anyone whoā€™s serious about running should be able to do a sub 45ā€™ and I was like I literally couldnā€™t do that if my life depended on it! Made me feel rubbish. Love how this post is all about how running is for everyone and there shouldnā€™t be such elitism!
2978D04D-089A-4A78-8EB3-27A0604CBB00.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
In my opinion a good 10k time is a time where you do it and think bloody hell I've done alright there! Doesn't matter if it's 45 mins or an hour or an hour and a half tbh šŸ˜‚ it's the most stupid thing to be elite about because unless you're a professional athlete, the time someone else takes to run the same distance has zero impact on your life!!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.