The Running Thread šŸƒā€ā™€ļø

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to run 3 miles a day near enough every day. As I've got older and holding a few too many extra lbs, my body just cannot get back into it. I get horrific shin splits which are that painful I can barely walk. I tried Couch 2 5K but nothing would shift it. Not a gait analysis, not ice, not stretching, literally nothing.

Reactions: 5
Yayy I love this thread already! Iā€™m not a ā€œtypicalā€ runner - Iā€™m a big gal and I plod rather than run, but finish lines not finish times and all that šŸ˜‰ Iā€™ve ran several 10ks, did a couple of half marathons but honestly I hated them. 10k is just about my distance I think, which is a shame because Iā€™d love to run a marathon one day, but Iā€™d be looking at a six hour finish, donā€™t know if Iā€™ve got the stamina!
I love cold weather running, the darker and colder the better for me, I hate summer running because Iā€™m too hot and self conscious. This time of year is perfect for me!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yayy I love this thread already! Iā€™m not a ā€œtypicalā€ runner - Iā€™m a big gal and I plod rather than run, but finish lines not finish times and all that šŸ˜‰ Iā€™ve ran several 10ks, did a couple of half marathons but honestly I hated them. 10k is just about my distance I think, which is a shame because Iā€™d love to run a marathon one day, but Iā€™d be looking at a six hour finish, donā€™t know if Iā€™ve got the stamina!
I love cold weather running, the darker and colder the better for me, I hate summer running because Iā€™m too hot and self conscious. This time of year is perfect for me!
Good for you!

10K is a respectable distance. Concentrate on that, and the half and full marathons will come in good time.

Reactions: 1
Oh this thread makes me so sad! I used to absolutely despise running and at the start of the year I took up couch to 5k and I absolutely fell in love with it. I couldnā€™t believe it. The problem is I am not a natural runner at all. Iā€™m also about 16 stone which doesnā€™t help. I have been marred with so many injuries - im a terrible over pronater and flat footed. My newest running shoes - Brooks GTS adrenaline are unbelievable for my feet but I havenā€™t been able to fully test them out. Injuries to date include achillies tendonitis, shin splints and Iā€™m currently coming to the end of 3 weeks rest with a suspected stress fracture. Itā€™s sooooo upsetting as I absolutely love going out and getting that buzz and really enjoying hitting certain goals. Itā€™s perfect weather for it at the moment which makes it harder. I am hoping with some more hardcore physio I will get back on track and will find out Friday what the deal is and how Iā€™ve healed. Itā€™s really easy for people to say ah...just give up and do something else but it really isnā€™t that easy. My progress has been terribly slow but I was getting to a point where I was pushing 2 miles and when I started I couldnā€™t even manage 2 minutes.

I used to run 3 miles a day near enough every day. As I've got older and holding a few too many extra lbs, my body just cannot get back into it. I get horrific shin splits which are that painful I can barely walk. I tried Couch 2 5K but nothing would shift it. Not a gait analysis, not ice, not stretching, literally nothing.
I just read your comment and honestly what youā€™ve said has resonated so much! I have the same problem at all. Out of interest have you seen a physio?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh this thread makes me so sad! I used to absolutely despise running and at the start of the year I took up couch to 5k and I absolutely fell in love with it. I couldnā€™t believe it. The problem is I am not a natural runner at all. Iā€™m also about 16 stone which doesnā€™t help. I have been marred with so many injuries - im a terrible over pronater and flat footed. My newest running shoes - Brooks GTS adrenaline are unbelievable for my feet but I havenā€™t been able to fully test them out. Injuries to date include achillies tendonitis, shin splints and Iā€™m currently coming to the end of 3 weeks rest with a suspected stress fracture. Itā€™s sooooo upsetting as I absolutely love going out and getting that buzz and really enjoying hitting certain goals. Itā€™s perfect weather for it at the moment which makes it harder. I am hoping with some more hardcore physio I will get back on track and will find out Friday what the deal is and how Iā€™ve healed. Itā€™s really easy for people to say ah...just give up and do something else but it really isnā€™t that easy. My progress has been terribly slow but I was getting to a point where I was pushing 2 miles and when I started I couldnā€™t even manage 2 minutes.

I just read your comment and honestly what youā€™ve said has resonated so much! I have the same problem at all. Out of interest have you seen a physio?
Good luck with your recovery. The only thing I would say is don't push too hard too soon when you finally hit the road again, but I guess you already knew that:). And being terribly slow is better than nothing at all.(y)

• Heart
Good luck with your recovery. The only thing I would say is don't push too hard too soon when you finally hit the road again, but I guess you already knew that:). And being terribly slow is better than nothing at all.(y)
Thank you :)

Absolllluuuutely. The roads and pavements around me are really uneven and wonky which deffo has contributed. I switched to the road surface which was a lot better but still high impact. I have become a friend of a local forest near me which has gravelled flat paths so Iā€™m going to head back onto those when im finally allowed. Itā€™s annoying as I had really got back into swimming so wanted to combine the two!!

You guys motivated me to go for a run this morning too! Had a banana before and can confirm it was good fuel. Arenā€™t they good for muscle recovery in general?
Not really - it's not that they're not good but you'd want a bit of protein for muscle recovery too. Bananas are high in potassium though which is used by your nervous system :)

10kms is still huge! The average person on the street wouldn't be able to do that. One of my favourite instagram accounts is @thelongweighdownwithjess she's really inspirational for runners of all sizes but really shows you don't need certain times/ physique/ distances to be able to call yourself a runner.

Reactions: 3
Ah no! Did you just have the one gait analysis? And new shoes? I had shin splints in September and barely moved for 2 months. Really put me off. But I also found that improving the shoes I wear at home [lockdown - wfh for 8 months now] has helped. I used to go about barefoot, which I love. But I found between getting birkenstocks, rather than nothing/slippers, and a new pair of running shoes has helped a lot too.

Trying B210K now. I find intervals really help me mentally in the run, but the weather is increasingly abysmal so we'll see!

Confession time...never have I ever done a park run! I know I need to but the getting up that early on a Saturday morning is terrifying šŸ˜‚
Because it's been so long, I've been enjoying lie ins on a Saturday and now I think "How am I ever going to get up in time for it again?!"

Reactions: 3
How have any of you improved your speed? My pace is around 8.40 per km, sometimes lower, today was longer [the leaves make me nervous!] but apart from the occasional pumping it up [briefly] when a banger comes on, slow is ma thing.

Reactions: 2
My best at half-marathon (competing) distance is 4:02/km, but my average on my own is 4:22, and its been getting gradually slower as I get older :(

• Heart
How have any of you improved your speed? My pace is around 8.40 per km, sometimes lower, today was longer [the leaves make me nervous!] but apart from the occasional pumping it up [briefly] when a banger comes on, slow is ma thing.
Slow running for long distances is the best foundation anyway! Maybe do one run with faster intervals per week to build speed, thatā€™s what every training plan Iā€™ve done has suggested anyway.

Eventually your ā€˜easyā€™ pace should get a little quicker and when you do eventually go for a time trial you should be a little faster after a few weeks šŸ˜ obviously you would eventually plateau but where that would be would depend on your gender/weight/height etc.

• Heart
How are we all? Any good runs or PBs this week?

I'm struggling with couch to 5k this time round, might be the cold air, really hurting my throat and lungs!

No pb but I had a really enjoyable run today! The weather was great this morning.

How about you?

I went for a run after my exam but I was so frustrated that I couldnā€™t clear my head :(
Still glad I went out tho

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.