The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just managed 5.3km in 31 mins I’ll have that after all the cheese and wine I’ve consumed 🥴🥴🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Since starting this thread I've basically abandoned running. It's making my chest hurt and I cannot get past week 3 of couch to 5k. Debating giving it another try but honestly...I feel like maybe I need to give up on running and find a new exercise. Anyone else ever experienced this feeling?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Since starting this thread I've basically abandoned running. It's making my chest hurt and I cannot get past week 3 of couch to 5k. Debating giving it another try but honestly...I feel like maybe I need to give up on running and find a new exercise. Anyone else ever experienced this feeling?
Now I don't want to advocate in any way for you doing damage to yourself, but I'm wondering is it that you're going too fast? Your chest shouldn't hurt from any sport as far as I know. Perhaps it's worth talking to a doctor?

I get this when it’s cold outside - is it a muscular pain or a lung pain (if that makes any sense...?!)

Has anyone got any advice on calves. Muscles and tendons. I struggle during runs and the hobble around all the other time. Are compression socks any good?

Now I don't want to advocate in any way for you doing damage to yourself, but I'm wondering is it that you're going too fast? Your chest shouldn't hurt from any sport as far as I know. Perhaps it's worth talking to a doctor?
Yeah I do struggle to slow down, I am quite tall and most of that is leg so running slowly is almost more of an effort. I did wonder if I had some sort of exercise induced asthma, but it only seems to happen with running. I'm fine with spinning, other cardio etc. I'm definitely not the fittest but I'm not hideously unfit either so I don't really know!

I get this when it’s cold outside - is it a muscular pain or a lung pain (if that makes any sense...?!)
It's a lung pain I think, it makes me cough for hours!

Yeah I do struggle to slow down, I am quite tall and most of that is leg so running slowly is almost more of an effort. I did wonder if I had some sort of exercise induced asthma, but it only seems to happen with running. I'm fine with spinning, other cardio etc. I'm definitely not the fittest but I'm not hideously unfit either so I don't really know!

It's a lung pain I think, it makes me cough for hours!
It does sound a bit like exercise induced asthma to me! I have it too and it only ever gets triggered by running and is much worse in winter. I forgot my inhaler on my run today and felt terrible.Defo see your dr! It made a huge difference to my running

Well I've had about 10 days off running and have absolutely NO motivation to run. That said I'm going to head out the door after I post this using my (if I don't like it 1km in I can turn around). I think it's more a mental thing rather than a not liking running, seeing big numbers on my program scares me but I need to show my head that it's okay and I can get through it!).

Has anyone got any advice on calves. Muscles and tendons. I struggle during runs and the hobble around all the other time. Are compression socks any good?
What are you talking about with your calves? Do they feel tight? Is it the upper calf or lower calf? I'd obviously recommend seeing a physio to rule out anything serious but probable options include overloading, weak muscles and/ or a combination or the two. If it's your lower calf then it's most probably your achilles. Calf raises (straight leg for upper calf, lower leg for strengthening achilles) can help but again see a physio first!

Reactions: 6
Update: got the full 90mins done and absolutely loved it. There's something to be said for 'just do it' and telling yourself you can turn around if you hate it once you get out there. After getting out I always keep going and runs that seem scary or intimidating become doable.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hope ye are all doing well and if a poster here hadn't mentioned going on Christmas day last week - it never would have even occurred to me. Cheers for being a nice wee running community :)
Hey! I mentioned it. Well done you!
Someone mentioned taking my son with me and I asked and he wanted to (after at least some presents lol) and there were other families out. We all said Merry Christmas, most were wearing Santa hats. It was lovely ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh god I totally underestimated/forgot how stressful I find Christmas and I haven't ran in a week now. Really need to get myself back out there, I was totally KO'd by Christmas itself and a family visit and have spent the last 2 days recovering doing very little 😂 really was wishful thinking that I'd have time/be in the right head space to go for a run!

Week 3 is the hardest ever. I hated this week and had to repeat it for two more weeks to run it comfortably.

Week 4 and 5, were hard but ok but then got sick so now back doing week 4.

Keep going!

I have compression leggings/tights off myprotein that I struggle to get past my ankles (why are the ankles always wrist-sized?!) but once they’re over the ankles they really help with calves and thighs. Haven’t seen the socks. Warm-up stretches help during the colder months. Have you had a previous injury that could be causing you to overcompensate when you run?

I have a weak knee and unable to run properly atm 💔 it’s doing my head in. I had a dodgy hip nearly a year ago that stopped me running for a bit now runners knee. I think it was due to a pair of new running shoes that just didn’t back up their claims. I know stretches help, but I find any kind of stretching/weight lifting that is longer than 5 mins incredibly dull. I’m back in a gym now before they’re all shut again 😬 so it’s long cross-training sessions and bike for me.

Hello, I’m new here. I was wondering if anyone has had a break from running when pregnant then gone back to it after baby is born? If so how did you find it? I really miss running but too many complications during my pregnancy made me stop.

Hello, I’m new here. I was wondering if anyone has had a break from running when pregnant then gone back to it after baby is born? If so how did you find it? I really miss running but too many complications during my pregnancy made me stop.
Ooh also eager to hear about this too! I just found out that I am pregnant and my running has taken an abrupt nose dive as my heart rate is soo much higher than normal! I’m only 5 weeks and I feel exhausted. I don’t imagine it gets much easier though!

There are plenty of mums in my running club but I don’t really know any of them super well and also can’t really ask them yet for obvious reasons...

Reactions: 2
Anyone getting out today 🥴 I’ve committed to running 50 miles in January
I got my running gear on, warmed up, stepped outside and nearly slipped on my face. Tried to walk to the path I thought wouldn't have ice on because it's a rough track, but really unsafe, so walked home again like Bambi 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.