The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
👋 morning, what weather would you not run in ?? It’s quite icy where I am 🥴 but I feel I need to run today, iv got the day off today so I’m thinking of waiting till later to see if the ice goes away 🙏🏻

Reactions: 1
👋 morning, what weather would you not run in ?? It’s quite icy where I am 🥴 but I feel I need to run today, iv got the day off today so I’m thinking of waiting till later to see if the ice goes away 🙏🏻
I worry about running on the ice too, especially if it’s dark. I’m having a day off running today, 3 degrees where I am but I’m lucky to have running a coastal path as an option and the salt keeps the ice away unless it’s ridiculously cold.

I did a 10K in gale force wind with the temperature at -1 so it felt more like -10. It started snowing at one point too, I was so so so cold for hours afterwards, never again 🤣

Reactions: 2
It was icy rain and wind where I am this morning but my friend and I went out for our usual 7:20am run. There's no way I'd go at that time alone even in nice weather and we both buzz off getting our run done early. It's nice to have that camaraderie and accountability.

I had in mind to do a 10k yesterday lunchtime as I've got a virtual race to do but it was so cold and was raining non-stop so I'm going to try and do that tomorrow instead. Wish me luck!

Thankyou so much for posting this. I’m going to see
a private physio I think and hopefully they can help too 😊
Please let me know how you get on! Hoping you get some answers!

Reactions: 3
I worry about running on the ice too, especially if it’s dark. I’m having a day off running today, 3 degrees where I am but I’m lucky to have running a coastal path as an option and the salt keeps the ice away unless it’s ridiculously cold.

I did a 10K in gale force wind with the temperature at -1 so it felt more like -10. It started snowing at one point too, I was so so so cold for hours afterwards, never again 🤣
Oh that would be so lovely to run along the coast 😍

It was icy rain and wind where I am this morning but my friend and I went out for our usual 7:20am run. There's no way I'd go at that time alone even in nice weather and we both buzz off getting our run done early. It's nice to have that camaraderie and accountability.

I had in mind to do a 10k yesterday lunchtime as I've got a virtual race to do but it was so cold and was raining non-stop so I'm going to try and do that tomorrow instead. Wish me luck!

Please let me know how you get on! Hoping you get some answers!
That’s good that you have someone to run with 👍🏻 Especially if you go out early morning, you will smash it 🍀

Just been for a lovely run in the sleet! Struggling to find the motivation to get out in the dark and cold at the moment but I have a lovely new waterproof jacket which helps.

I also went back to the gym for the first time on Wednesday when they reopened here and even though I’ve been running 5 times a week, I did a few squats and lunges and now have the worst DOMs of my life, I can’t even get down the stairs or sit on the sofa properly!! Omg it is the worst. It is so annoying but I only have myself to blame for being lazy during lockdown haha

Just been for a lovely run in the sleet! Struggling to find the motivation to get out in the dark and cold at the moment but I have a lovely new waterproof jacket which helps.

I also went back to the gym for the first time on Wednesday when they reopened here and even though I’ve been running 5 times a week, I did a few squats and lunges and now have the worst DOMs of my life, I can’t even get down the stairs or sit on the sofa properly!! Omg it is the worst. It is so annoying but I only have myself to blame for being lazy during lockdown haha
This is what I’m worried about, before the first I was doing 150kg on the leg press and worried about the after effects of trying to get back up there now 🤣

Well done for getting out there. Was just a big fat nope from me today.

Contrary to what I said up thread I have been and rejoined the gym this week 🙄 but my god is it nice to be warm while I’m there! Been doing 5ks on the treadmill then stair master for 20 mins

I went out this afternoon, it was so cold! I seem to run better in shorts (dunno what that's about). My husband said my thighs resembled sunburn they were so red 😂
Started in the rain, but it didn't last the whole run.

What jacket have you got? I feel like I need one, but I'm worried I'll get too hot

Another thing i'm finding is my left foot seems to go numb, I think I'm clenching my toes while I run....?

I went out this afternoon, it was so cold! I seem to run better in shorts (dunno what that's about). My husband said my thighs resembled sunburn they were so red 😂

What jacket have you got? I feel like I need one, but I'm worried I'll get too hot

Another thing i'm finding is my left foot seems to go numb, I think I'm clenching my toes while I run....?
I have this jacket which is basically just a plastic shell so keeps the rain off. Because it's plastic it keeps you warm too but is easy to tie around your waste or stuff into a pocket as it folds up small :)

This is what I’m worried about, before the first I was doing 150kg on the leg press and worried about the after effects of trying to get back up there now 🤣

Well done for getting out there. Was just a big fat nope from me today.

Contrary to what I said up thread I have been and rejoined the gym this week 🙄 but my god is it nice to be warm while I’m there! Been doing 5ks on the treadmill then stair master for 20 mins
Omg I'm terrified of this! I kept up with my strength training at home for our first lock down but then gave up with the second lock down (I'm in Aus). I'm restarting at the gym on Tuesday and am absolutely terrified of the DOMS

This is what I’m worried about, before the first I was doing 150kg on the leg press and worried about the after effects of trying to get back up there now

It’s awful how easily you can lose strength isn’t it! Omg 150kg though that is so impressive - the squats and lunges I did were with no weight at all 🤣 I am a weed

It’s an inov8 trail shell, it was quite expensive but I haven’t taken it off since October so I think it was a good investment! I think the better jackets have less of a plastic bag effect, so it’s not too sweaty

I used to do the foot thing, I think my shoes were too big (one foot is half a size bigger than the other 😑) the man in a running shoe shop showed me how to lace them properly so your foot doesn’t slide around - obviously have forgotten how but it really helps!

It’s awful how easily you can lose strength isn’t it! Omg 150kg though that is so impressive - the squats and lunges I did were with no weight at all 🤣 I am a weed

It’s an inov8 trail shell, it was quite expensive but I haven’t taken it off since October so I think it was a good investment! I think the better jackets have less of a plastic bag effect, so it’s not too sweaty

I used to do the foot thing, I think my shoes were too big (one foot is half a size bigger than the other 😑) the man in a running shoe shop showed me how to lace them properly so your foot doesn’t slide around - obviously have forgotten how but it really helps!
My upper body strength is shocking compared to my legs though 😂 not planning on doing any weights in the gym any time soon I don't like the idea of touching everything, it can't all possibly be completely sanitised. At least with cardio it's minimal.

@nbx512 I looked up those Insta accounts last night, some great ones there 😃 particularly like the girl in San Diego, trackclubbabe

My boyfriend is starting a new job this week and although I have enjoyed working out with him, I'm looking forward to running on my own again. Sometimes I'll set out to just run for 30 mins but end up running for an hour. Kinda hard to do that with someone else when you said it was only going to be 30 mins and you're the one with the house keys 😂

Well done 👏🏻 oh god that’s what I’m scared of, the pain 🥴

Haven’t posted for a while but on 3rd November I set myself a goal to get to running 5k by the end of this lockdown. 5 weeks ago I could barely manage 2mins & today I managed the full 5k in 46mins. So buzzing I didnt focus on time or pace just the distance. Now the gym are open I’m gonna work on my pace with treadmill sprints as find this has helped before a long with one leg day a week to build my strength. Aim is to improve pace this month then come jan set myself a new goal. Well done everyone else for just getting out there in this weather think is was 4 degrees when I did my run

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I got out this morning for a frosty run but loved it! Looking forward to getting back to the gym to spin/work on weights and aiming to keep to outside running as much as possible but use the occasional treadmill setting which slows you down and speeds you up to work on sprints!

Are sprints are good way of building on strength/cardio then?
I don't know any science per say but I know for me doing 1 sprint run a week where I really pushed it to my absolute maximum on the sprints (back before last lockdown when I went to the gym regularly) really helped me feel like I could run further/at a better pace and be less breathless on my regular runs.

Just marking my place for when I start again. Fell off the running wagon, badly and am desperate to start up again but need to lose some weight first to prevent injury.
Previously ran an obstacle 5k (which is great as a first dip into organised running events), 10k's and a half marathon. I was happy, and on track to attempt a marathon when my mental health took a tumble and I'd also got involved with a running community which was not healthy in any way, but you live and learn.
Will be look to road run mainly, on my own but did love some of the trails near where I live so might dip my toes there too once my confidence returns.
Good running everyone and I look forward to sharing and learning with you all 😁

• Heart
Are sprints are good way of building on strength/cardio then?
Sprints will increase your anaerobic systems as well as should help your general running form. What u would suggest are some longer intervals at hard but not 'all out' efforts to work on your aerobic system as that's what you rely on for distance running. Some ideas of sessions:
6x 2min hard with 3 Min float in between
4x 4min hard with 3 Min float
2-3x 8min hard with 3-5min float

Also introducing some fartlek or longer tempo style sessions that are at around 70-80% effort are good too! If you want to chat more about programming I'm more than happy to! I recently got my coaching qual and would love to use it to help others!

Delighted to stumble across this thread! Took up running during lockdown and I'm hooked. Out of interest, I'm wondering if some of you could help or give me advice. I'm 29, 5ft 2 and 128 pounds. Wear an Apple Watch and resting heart rate is around 64 bpm. Have been analysing my most recent runs and max HR hits 185+. I seem to be spending a lot of my runs in HR zones 4 and 5. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about? A friend told me that I shouldn't really be running in HR zones 4 and 5.

Delighted to stumble across this thread! Took up running during lockdown and I'm hooked. Out of interest, I'm wondering if some of you could help or give me advice. I'm 29, 5ft 2 and 128 pounds. Wear an Apple Watch and resting heart rate is around 64 bpm. Have been analysing my most recent runs and max HR hits 185+. I seem to be spending a lot of my runs in HR zones 4 and 5. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about? A friend told me that I shouldn't really be running in HR zones 4 and 5.
It honestly depends on what kind of gains/ goals you’re looking for, how long you’ve been running and a ton of other things. I’m also unsure of how apple watches calculate HR zones. That said, the majority of your runs should be at an easy effort: this means being able to talk in complete sentences and having a lower heart rate. For me, with a resting HR of 51 (57kg, 169cm woman) that’s a max HR of 147. This benefits two things: a lower intensity means injury is less likely plus you’re working your aerobic system which is the main system for all running unless you’re a sprinter. This will lead to bigger fitness gains rather than you constantly maxing out on your runs. Plus it can be more enjoyable to run and not feel like death after!

It depends how many times per week you’re running but if it’s around 5 I would recommend having one quality session (aka intervals, tempo etc with a higher HR), one long run (still with an easy HR) and three easy, shorter runs. I’m happy to chat more about programming for you specifically if you’d like 😊

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.