The Runner Beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m amazed she’s a nutritionist. Her run fuelling is terrible - Rice Krispie squares have literally no nutritional value whatsoever. There are far better ways to fuel yourself before runs that eating those! also cereal? Really?!!
Also there is a lot of evidence to show that running fasted (especially if it’s not very far) is totally fine, even beneficial. If you’re only running 3/4 miles in the morning I’m not sure you need to stuff your face with sugar before you go - you’ll have plenty of energy if you’re eating properly the day before.

I feel she still probably follows the crappy NHS food pyramid from about 1990 🙄

Reactions: 4
Ac
I’m amazed she’s a nutritionist. Her run fuelling is terrible - Rice Krispie squares have literally no nutritional value whatsoever. There are far better ways to fuel yourself before runs that eating those! also cereal? Really?!!
Also there is a lot of evidence to show that running fasted (especially if it’s not very far) is totally fine, even beneficial. If you’re only running 3/4 miles in the morning I’m not sure you need to stuff your face with sugar before you go - you’ll have plenty of energy if you’re eating properly the day before.

I feel she still probably follows the crappy NHS food pyramid from about 1990 🙄
Actually running fasted increases stress and injury risk in women. Most of the evidence of it being fine/good is because studies used men only.

+ not every food item needs to have nutritional value, if it's just a sugary snack for a pre run boost then they seem like a pretty solid choice. Maybe she enjoys them. God forbid we encourage a healthy relationship with food where we can eat things just because we like them.

Reactions: 14
Hmmm that’s not what I have read or heard - guess it depends what you’re reading / listening to! But I still maintain Rice Krispie bars are crap - and no, while not everything has to be super healthy, as a nutritionist I wouldn’t be recommending eating highly processed crap for breakfast when there are much healthier options out there.

Reactions: 1
I must admit I sometimes have the rice Krispy squares chocolate ones because I just love them 😂 I know they are terrible but hey life is too short sometimes

• Haha
Reactions: 9
There has been a lot of recent criticism of how distance running training is entirely geared towards men and is ruining young women’s careers.

There have been a few good scientific studies in the last 10 years increasingly showing that for women it causes hormone and metabolic imbalances even if over a 24 hour window your energy intake is fine.

The running fasted thing is a hangover fromthe overwhelmingly male focussed training regimes

Reactions: 8
Food being touted as fuel or medicine is harmful imo. We are being bombarded with messages the whole time about gut health/too many carbs/the right type of fats/sugar spiking. It can feed into disordered behaviour which can only end badly with regards to women and exercise.

We obviously need to eat a range of foods to be healthy but labelling food as crap or nutritious is not really necessary- it leads to guilt and other negative feelings which can spiral into unhealthy behaviours. I actually think (although she is annoying in other ways) RB has a really refreshing approach to nutrition and is much healthier in this respect to see than Jordan (or Kelly who seems to spend every pound she has on food for herself).

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Food being touted as fuel or medicine is harmful imo. We are being bombarded with messages the whole time about gut health/too many carbs/the right type of fats/sugar spiking. It can feed into disordered behaviour which can only end badly with regards to women and exercise.

We obviously need to eat a range of foods to be healthy but labelling food as crap or nutritious is not really necessary- it leads to guilt and other negative feelings which can spiral into unhealthy behaviours. I actually think (although she is annoying in other ways) RB has a really refreshing approach to nutrition and is much healthier in this respect to see than Jordan (or Kelly who seems to spend every pound she has on food for herself).
👏 hear hear

Reactions: 3
Ac

Actually running fasted increases stress and injury risk in women. Most of the evidence of it being fine/good is because studies used men only.

+ not every food item needs to have nutritional value, if it's just a sugary snack for a pre run boost then they seem like a pretty solid choice. Maybe she enjoys them. God forbid we encourage a healthy relationship with food where we can eat things just because we like them.

I could not agree or like these more. As someone who has “recovered” from an eating disorder it’s refreshing to see. I used to run fasted and was always injured. Since making sure I’m never in a calorie deficit I’ve not had a significant injury. Although, I probably will now I’ve written that 🤣 I’m also faster heavier.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
yep, fasted running was proposed for men to improve their fat metabolism. Women are very good at that, we don't need it. And it could be detrimental as maintains cortisol levels higher for longer, which is not good.

And also, some people like me wake up hungry, I can't even think of puting my running shoes without food. I may faint XD

Could be a mix of that and that those cereals don't upset her stomach

Reactions: 2
Argh I didn’t know about the fasted/female impact. Thanks for highlighting all. I will endeavour to get out of bed and eat rather than faffing. Probs explains my niggles!

I’m never injured and always run fasted - works for me 🤷‍♀️
Anyway, not gonna get into an argument about it - I still don’t like her nutrition and I’m sticking to that 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣

Argh I didn’t know about the fasted/female impact. Thanks for highlighting all. I will endeavour to get out of bed and eat rather than faffing. Probs explains my niggles!
If you can’t face going to Charlie for advice I would recommend looking up Dr Stacy Sims regarding nutrition for female athletes!

Reactions: 3
I’m never injured and always run fasted - works for me 🤷‍♀️
Anyway, not gonna get into an argument about it - I still don’t like her nutrition and I’m sticking to that 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣
Same, always run fasted and have for 15 years. Everyone is individual thank goodness. 😊

• Heart