The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can imagine her supporting the charities really close to her heart but not sure if she would be full time still.
---

This is shocking! He can’t die! I know absolutely nothing about him or his politics or even if he’s good at his job but he’s a cute little guy and had two lovely dogs.
My favourite President story.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We could combine them and play to our strengths - wake in Dublin, funeral in London.
I do remember he was reluctant to go for a second term due to his health but I think his wife persuaded him”cough cough” .. it wouldn’t surprise me if he did depart..

Reactions: 3
I feel like the "Camilla broke up the marriage" rhetoric is rather over-simplified and driven by the deification of Diana post-death.
It plays into the whole idea that "the other woman" is always to blame and ignores the faults of the marriage proper, and the parties in the marriage. While Harry seems to have leaned back in to Camilla being the big bad, along with his sense of victimisation at the hands of Charles, William, the family as a whole, and quite possibly the corgis at this point, there's no reason to believe that's the attitude the family at large or William have.

I suspect if Charles pops his clogs before Camilla she'll be given the respect you'd expect for a dowager queen, but with the expected amendments to her role of a dowager queen with her own children and grandchildren who aren't royal.

Reactions: 43
I thought this was the normal way for European royalty but I’ve noticed in Sweden Princess Madeline’s children are Princesses/Duchesses and Prince /Duke. Her husband didn’t even become a Swedish citizen or take any official title.
Different monarchy, different rules. When they went for absolute primogeniture just after the birth of Prince Carl Philip who was very briefly Crown Prince as a baby, the Swedish parliament also went for full equality. So all of the monarch's grandchildren are prince/princess whether through the male or female line. A few years ago, King Carl Gustav made a few more changes and made a distinction between the Royal House and Royal Family. The working royals, the king's three children and their spouses, are all HRH and part of the Royal House. Of the grandchildren, only those in the main line, the children of Crown Princess Victoria, are members of the royal House and HRH; the other grandchildren are not going to be working members of the Royal House and so are Royal Family members and HH.

Under the old rules, three of the King's sisters who were born with HRH, were downgraded to HH and Royal Family on marrying a commoner. The only sister who married a fellow royal remains HRH and Royal House. The widow of a cousin who was downgraded from HRH Prince to Count on marriage to a non-royal remains a member of the Royal Family. None of the downgraded people have royal children.

Those were the old rules and they were changed to allow marriage to commoners before Carl Gustav married Silvia who became Queen and his uncle Bertil married Lilian who became Princess (look up their story - it's worthy of a film). All three of the royal children married commoners: CP Victoria's husband became Prince Daniel and Prince Carl Philip's wife became Princess Sofia, both as HRH. Princess Madeleine's husband refused any title and is not royal at all. Unlike the UK, Daniel, Sofia and Lilian became Prince/Princess in their own right. Prince Daniel doesn't get to be Crown Prince though and the two are referred to as "the Crown Princess couple".

Reactions: 10
I feel like the "Camilla broke up the marriage" rhetoric is rather over-simplified and driven by the deification of Diana post-death.
It plays into the whole idea that "the other woman" is always to blame and ignores the faults of the marriage proper, and the parties in the marriage. While Harry seems to have leaned back in to Camilla being the big bad, along with his sense of victimisation at the hands of Charles, William, the family as a whole, and quite possibly the corgis at this point, there's no reason to believe that's the attitude the family at large or William have.

I suspect if Charles pops his clogs before Camilla she'll be given the respect you'd expect for a dowager queen, but with the expected amendments to her role of a dowager queen with her own children and grandchildren who aren't royal.
I also feel (and I have no experience in this) that teenagers would have limited life experience in relationships and adulting when it comes to divorce, so I’m sure they haaated the fact that she was the “other woman” for a few years and then of course their mum dying added a huge tragic layer to it. But I would think with some growing up and experience, they could see that their parents weren’t meant to be together, his dad is truly happy with Camilla. And I’m sure that acceptance would have happened if their mum was still alive too.

Honestly, if they still hold a grudge for that this many years later, they need to sort it out. It’s clear to a lot of people that the arranged marriage of C+D was always doomed and C+C are a lovely couple who were meant to be together.

Reactions: 33
I imagine Diana would be seen in a very different light now had the Paris tragedy never happened. She would probably be on her 3rd or 4th marriage, living abroad and not terribly involved in her sons' lives...in my opinion.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
I imagine Diana would be seen in a very different light now had the Paris tragedy never happened. She would probably be on her 3rd or 4th marriage, living abroad and not terribly involved in her sons' lives...in my opinion.
And I think Camilla would have aged better. Di would have overdone the procedures.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
I think both boys have an idealised view of their mother, Harry even more so, at least what they put out there publicly. I think she would have hated it when Kate came on the scene, the younger attractive woman now getting all the attention and headlines that used to be hers - they can spin it how they like but she loved the press attention and loved playing the press and paps. I dread to think how she would have reacted when Kate became Princess of Wales - she strikes me as the type who would be ringing William up asking him to come round because she’s just so upset darling and please leave your wife and children behind to give me your full attention

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I think it's difficult to know what she would have grown into, but I will never be a fan of the way the press & public need to have a figure to adore and a figure to hate. While living, a royal (usually the royal women, if we're frank) can be both in the span of a week's tabloid headlines, but her early death meant Diana got rewritten as an angelic figure, and Camilla was frozen in the minds of many as the evil other woman.
Both women are and were actual people, with flaws and good points, and I will never get my head around the idea that we need to see them as cartoonish figures of good or evil.

The same is repeating with the current generation - Kate is for the most part the "good" royal woman, though the press will happily sell a negative story on her if it'll get eyes, and Meghan has Camilla's slot of being the "bad" royal woman.
There is a certain irony however in Harry's volatile reaction to his wife inheriting the press's role of a woman he then tried to shove back into that role via his own media.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I liked Diana. I know she wasn't perfect but not many people are.

I have always liked Camilla too and I do hope that she and Charles get to have many more years together.

Reactions: 38
I liked Diana. I know she wasn't perfect but not many people are.

I have always liked Camilla too and I do hope that she and Charles get to have many more years together.
Same, I like them both for different reasons. Diana has been turned into a saint which she certainly wasn’t but she wasn’t a bad person either.

Reactions: 25
A friend shared this with me at the end of last week from a private parenting FB group she is in. One of the other mums (who she knows reasonably well) posted:

"My dad is in the know because my mum was in the london clinic for years. So he knows a huge number of staff there. I'm betting every newspaper knows the actual truth. KM has a very severe eating disorder. She didn't have surgery. She was hospitalised to be tubefed as she was refusing to eat."

I obviously can't vouch for the truth of this as I don't know the woman, and am not in the group, but I saw the screenshot so it was a real post. She may be a fantasist, or exaggerating what her father told her, but thought I'd share it anyway. Doesn't sound very ethical for medical staff to be sharing this info if it is true!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
A friend shared this with me at the end of last week from a private parenting FB group she is in. One of the other mums (who she knows reasonably well) posted:

"My dad is in the know because my mum was in the london clinic for years. So he knows a huge number of staff there. I'm betting every newspaper knows the actual truth. KM has a very severe eating disorder. She didn't have surgery. She was hospitalised to be tubefed as she was refusing to eat."

I obviously can't vouch for the truth of this as I don't know the woman, and am not in the group, but I saw the screenshot so it was a real post. She may be a fantasist, or exaggerating what her father told her, but thought I'd share it anyway. Doesn't sound very ethical for medical staff to be sharing this info if it is true!
If that is true (and I personally am sick to death of people claiming to have a secret source) then the medical staff are guilty of the most appalling breach of confidentiality and your friend's friend, and her dad, are also horrendously unethical.

Someone with a bit of decency should contact the hospital with that screenshot showing their names.

Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.