The Royal Family #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It grates me when they introduce themselves as the duke and Duchess of Sussex.

you left that system. You were highly critical of it and all those involved in it. You wrote books and did documentaries and podcasts, all highly critical of it. Why not just, willingly drop the use of the titles? Why not just insist on being referred to as “Harry Windsor” or even plain old “Prince Harry”.

It’s Meghan’s take I understand even less. She’s supposed to be all for equality and feminism except when it comes to her unearned titles. Then apparently she’s all for divine right, feudalism and patriarchal systems.

she’s an American, living in America. Just call yourself Meghan Markle, or Meghan Windsor, or Meghan Sussex. Why insist on being introduced as the Duchess of Sussex when… you were never really a duchess at all?

I mean it’s all a bit ridiculous. You marry into the family and all of a sudden prestige and titles are bestowed upon everybody. It’s archaic and sexist ultimately. But with Kate, she’s never claimed to be anything. She goes along with the pantomime. She doesn’t go on a podcast and complain about it while accepting the prestige and benefits.

she smiles and nods. It’s not especially commendable but at least she’s not a total hypocrite. She buys into the bull crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32
you left that system. You were highly critical of it and all those involved in it. You wrote books and did documentaries and podcasts, all highly critical of it. Why not just, willingly drop the use of the titles? Why not just insist on being referred to as “Harry Windsor” or even plain old “Prince Harry”.

It’s Meghan’s take I understand even less. She’s supposed to be all for equality and feminism except when it comes to her unearned titles. Then apparently she’s all for divine right, feudalism and patriarchal systems.

she’s an American, living in America. Just call yourself Meghan Markle, or Meghan Windsor, or Meghan Sussex. Why insist on being introduced as the Duchess of Sussex when… you were never really a duchess at all?
I wouldn’t say it’s unearned because she did earn it by virtue of marriage. And she does have a right because she’s a Duchess due to the marriage. But I guess for two people who spoke about how much they hated the Royal family life and how unequal it was, it is a bit odd that they trade off the titles? If they left and didn’t do the interviews, TV shows or books it wouldn’t have been so bad but it feels for the past 3 or 4 years they have reiterated how much they hate the Royal family or have issues with it. If they went by Mountbatten-Windsor people would still recognise who they were.

Reactions: 4
I wouldn’t say it’s unearned because she did earn it by virtue of marriage. And she does have a right because she’s a Duchess due to the marriage. But I guess for two people who spoke about how much they hated the Royal family life and how unequal it was, it is a bit odd that they trade off the titles? If they left and didn’t do the interviews, TV shows or books it wouldn’t have been so bad but it feels for the past 3 or 4 years they have reiterated how much they hate the Royal family or have issues with it. If they went by Mountbatten-Windsor people would still recognise who they were.
how does marrying someone make it “earned”. She married a man, who just happened to be part of an institution. She didn’t earn anything. Even her acting career and role in suite was very likely supported by her producer partner/first usband.

it’s like marrying the son of a CEO and getting a job working as CFO without any real prior experience. You wouldn’t have earned that title either, you’d just be benefitting from Nepotism.

Meghan Markle (and of course, Harry) basically is just benefitting from Nepotism, in contradiction to most of her proclaimed values.

Reactions: 7
how does marrying someone make it “earned”. She married a man, who just happened to be part of an institution. She didn’t earn anything. Even her acting career and role in suite was very likely supported by her producer partner/first usband.

it’s like marrying the son of a CEO and getting a job working as CFO without any real prior experience. You wouldn’t have earned that title either, you’d just be benefitting from Nepotism.

Meghan Markle (and of course, Harry) basically is just benefitting from Nepotism, in contradiction to most of her proclaimed values.
I suppose in the same way if I get married I’d go from a Miss to a Mrs (if I’d so wished). All I did to be a Mrs is to be married. In the top tier of the Royal family they aren’t Mr, Mrs or Miss so I guess Duke, Duchess, etc could be seen as a aristo replacement? The Royal Family is based on nepotism - I mean that’s their brand.

Reactions: 1
Marrying a Duke is the only way to become duchess. It's not handed out on merit. She has the title so she can use it if she wants but I think it just highlights what a hypocrite she is really.

Reactions: 11
Marrying a Duke is the only way to become duchess. It's not handed out on merit. She has the title so she can use it if she wants but I think it just highlights what a hypocrite she is really.
You expressed my thoughts much more succinctly! I agree.

Reactions: 2
I would love it if William stripped them of all their titles when he ascends to the throne. Completely exiles them and leaves them totally and forever irrelevant. I think he is strong-willed enough to do it, The ultimate retribution.
Would be nice if he looked a bit closer to home and stripped his dirty uncle of his titles and much too big for him house.

Reactions: 12
For me, it shouldn’t be hard, you undertake duties? You have a title. You’re a “private citizen”? Then you’re a bog standard Mr Mountbatten Windsor. Andrew, Harry, Meghan, Beatrice, Eugenie … I don’t see why any of them should hold a title.

It’s not like the family connection and surname wouldn’t open plenty of doors for them anyway

In my experience all phone calls from the royal household come up with no caller id (not that is a surprise if you think about it- so would have my desk phone if I’d dialed out at the MOD). So if Harry routinely doesn’t answer unknown numbers then it’s no wonder he’s not spoken to his family in ages - most old people prefer landlines 🤭

Reactions: 6
er… there are hereditary duchesses. And the point still stands. It’s unearned. Mobility and aristocracy are all about unearned privilege. It’s the opposite of a meritocracy.

Reactions: 1
I think he should style himself as Harry Markle(d)....Forgo the hated royal handcuffs and earn an honest living for his family "overseas". His choice. Good riddance to the pair of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Agreed, very weird that Meghan uses her Duchess title so often when she thought the whole royalty thing was weird and compared it to the Medieval Times restaurant.

I get leaving and using it, but I don't get it when you've also said the whole thing is weird. Particularly when you live in the US where it holds exactly zero weight?

From the article about Scobie above:

The royal family, of course, is not known for its focus on feelings. But in Endgame Scobie writes that perhaps more than at any other point in history, the family is ignoring its internal fractures at its own peril, because “part of the buy-in from the [British] public is that the royal family is the nation’s family.”
I've been doing this all wrong then. I've been watching them like they're an episode of Succession, not thinking they're a big happy family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Apologies if this had already been discussed but I only just learned that Haydn Gwynne who played Lady Susan Hussey in The Crown and Camilla in The Windsors passed away recently aged 66 after a short battle with cancer. I thought she was a phenomenal talent and for me she was the star of The Windsors

• Sad
  • Heart
I’m so tired of M&H. I’d have more respect if they just got on with life and stopped creating drama, writing books, pretending they’re important and giving Omid Scobie a platform

Reactions: 12
Apologies if this had already been discussed but I only just learned that Haydn Gwynne who played Lady Susan Hussey in The Crown and Camilla in The Windsors passed away recently aged 66 after a short battle with cancer. I thought she was a phenomenal talent and for me she was the star of The Windsors
that’s such a shame! She was such a wonderful talent.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Meghan.....
A fan excitedly posted this photo after Meghan took a photo with her. Then the crazy Meghan fans sent her 100s of horrible messages saying how dare she photoshop Meghan to look so ugly!! But it wasn’t photoshopped but just bad lighting

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
How sad, she was brilliant as Camilla in The Windsors!

Reactions: 5
A fan excitedly posted this photo after Meghan took a photo with her. Then the crazy Meghan fans sent her 100s of horrible messages saying how dare she photoshop Meghan to look so ugly!! But it wasn’t photoshopped but just bad lighting
Honestly I think a huge part about why people dislike them is their fan base! The “Sussex squad” are just obsessive and some of the things they say about the other royals is just 🤯 But then I cant comprehend dedicating my time to a person I have never and will never meet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.