The Royal Family #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh god, you’re still saying “aborigines”. What a hill to die on 🤦‍♀️
Here’s the deal: if you don’t want people pointing out that you’ve linked to a poll that says most Kiwis think they’ll be a republic in the next ten years, and that a majority of Aussies and Canadians want to be a republic, then maybe don’t link to one? 😂

I’ll leave this topic with this point: if the coalition here succeed in devaluing the Treaty, a lot of reason and support for the existence of the Crown in NZ will be gone.
It would be interesting to see how the royal family deal with a Western country leaving the monarchy when it does happen, whether it’s us or another. I reckon they’d be fine with it, but who knows?
@TYL159 is beautifullly great at v
She did but she wouldn't have been able to bag the billionaire if she didn't come to the nation's attention at her sister's wedding

Kate didn't have to confident but it was worth a shot. It's not like she was changing to a tit uni or anything
She suits William as a wife just fine
---
I think Mike Tindall needs to tell James Haskell to wind his neck in with all the slating the royals he is doing on this tour. Tabloids getting lots of inches from it and it makes Mike look complicit
I don't think Mike is the all around good bloke he claims to be.

Reactions: 5
It’s weird The Crown can write a character of Carole - and from what I’ve heard, portray her in such a poor way - without any repercussions. She’s not a public servant, she didn’t work for them and get paid in public funds, so how can it be allowed that they can create such a depiction of a woman who is still alive, & that most people actually know duck all about?

Michael Middleton must have been doing a lot of twiddling his thumbs in the 00s when his wife was doing all this scheming🙄🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Being a foreigner I’ve personally learnt so much on these threads and love when people actually have substance versus an axe to grind
As long as posts are on topic, if you don't like it you are free to scroll on by 👋 or use your ignore button. 🤡

Bizarre and I’d love to know what Peter Morgan has against a middle class woman who was born to coal miners and decided she wanted more…hmmmm
Same thing a lot of people in this thread do.

I couldn’t have disliked the middletons more but when they were sat talking about how much they liked Maggie thatcher… ugh. It set my teeth on edge. Because of course those pack of jackels snobs loved Maggie.
It's fiction, beloved. 😵

The casting of Harry and William in the latest episodes is horrendous, those boys were so handsome and it’s like watching the Aliexpress versions with extra dodgy haircuts and hair dye jobs
First time I've ever seen anyone in their right mind refer to Harry as handsome -- at any point in his life. 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 7
don’t forget the constant, insipid, self pitying stares that poor old tortured wills has.

it’s like they told him “right, you’re the first fella to ever lose a parent and you’ve only got a choice of 4 or 5 palaces to call home, so life really is tough for you”

I kinda wish they were doing a S7, because I’d be intrigued as to the research into the pegging rumours, the rose Hanbury rumours and photos of wills partying without Kate - how they’d handle that. How would they be able to depict Kate when she leaves Uni and basically just follows William around? They’d have to show a Middleton family get together where Carole basically tells Kate “it’s ok sweetie, you’re doing the lords work here. The highest achievement any Middleton woman can have is marrying royalty. We’ll set it all up for you. Here’s the bin for your uni degree to go into, we won’t be needing that”.

I couldn’t have disliked the middletons more but when they were sat talking about how much they liked Maggie thatcher… ugh. It set my teeth on edge. Because of course those pack of jackels snobs loved Maggie.

It was precisely for comments like this that The Crown had to add a disclaimer saying it was fictional. 🤣

Reactions: 2
I do find it totally bizarre that in a show about the queen and the dysfunctional Windsors, by the end the villain or at least the worst character is bloody Carole Middleton.

Charles gets a redemption arc, the prince with a p**do pal is nowhere to be seen, nor are the Prince and his wife who tried to sell the family connections for profit (Edward and Sophie) and yet the worst and most unlikeable character is some random middle class woman who is depicted as a cold evil genius

Bizarre and I’d love to know what Peter Morgan has against a middle class woman who was born to coal miners and decided she wanted more…hmmmm
I would imagine it’s because it is so recent and because they don’t want to burn any more bridges than necessary with the current incumbents.
(which is one reason I don’t think it should have come so up-to-date).

Reactions: 3
First time I've ever seen anyone in their right mind refer to Harry as handsome -- at any point in his life. 🤭
Oh, I would! And I’m pretty sure I’m in my right mind a decent percentage of the time. Harry’s not a bad looking bloke. I think both princes have been handsome at various points in their life. Harry wasn’t cute as a teenager/early 20s at all, whereas Wills was, but I still definitely feel The Crown did Harry dirty on this casting 😂

- -
The problem with The Crown in my view is that Peter Morgan doesn’t know what he’s trying to say with it. Like, it’s very pretty (except most of this last half season seemed to be filmed in the dark?) but doesn’t offer much critique or nuance of anything. Just “these people seem to be very privileged and unpleasant but tradition is lovely and ohh I better be nice to the next couple of kings.” He portrays them generally as a bunch of ostriches with their heads in the sand insisting that everyone wants the monarchy because the newspapers said so and refusing to see anything as a potential catalyst for change. Which isn’t necessarily inaccurate I guess, but he’s always changing which character he’s trying to make wiser than the pack. Sometimes it’s Philip, sometimes it’s Charles, sometimes it’s Elizabeth.

But oh well, it’s entertaining fluff and a bit of fun. And it seems it got Charles’ undies in a twist for a couple of seasons and that’s always funny so 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 7
…….i love that the Crown is taken as a documentary now 😂😂
noones taking it as documentary. They are depicted as characters on a TV show as well as existing in real life with a few crossovers.

what is true though, is that the crown is very well researched. I don’t think there’s much argument there? It’s one reason why it’s well regarded TV.

we’ll never know exactly what goes on behind the closed doors of the royal family, but this show does a great job at depicting what realistically could have happened, and I dare say have probably hit the mark on a few occasions.
---
I do find it totally bizarre that in a show about the queen and the dysfunctional Windsors, by the end the villain or at least the worst character is bloody Carole Middleton.

Charles gets a redemption arc, the prince with a p**do pal is nowhere to be seen, nor are the Prince and his wife who tried to sell the family connections for profit (Edward and Sophie) and yet the worst and most unlikeable character is some random middle class woman who is depicted as a cold evil genius

indidnt think Carole was especially villainous. She was depicted as wanting the best for her daughter. I thought in that regard it was somewhat sympathetic.
---
Oh, I would! And I’m pretty sure I’m in my right mind a decent percentage of the time. Harry’s not a bad looking bloke. I think both princes have been handsome at various points in their life. Harry wasn’t cute as a teenager/early 20s at all, whereas Wills was, but I still definitely feel The Crown did Harry dirty on this casting 😂

- -
The problem with The Crown in my view is that Peter Morgan doesn’t know what he’s trying to say with it. Like, it’s very pretty (except most of this last half season seemed to be filmed in the dark?) but doesn’t offer much critique or nuance of anything. Just “these people seem to be very privileged and unpleasant but tradition is lovely and ohh I better be nice to the next couple of kings.” He portrays them generally as a bunch of ostriches with their heads in the sand insisting that everyone wants the monarchy because the newspapers said so and refusing to see anything as a potential catalyst for change. Which isn’t necessarily inaccurate I guess, but he’s always changing which character he’s trying to make wiser than the pack. Sometimes it’s Philip, sometimes it’s Charles, sometimes it’s Elizabeth.

But oh well, it’s entertaining fluff and a bit of fun. And it seems it got Charles’ undies in a twist for a couple of seasons and that’s always funny so 🤷‍♀️
i would disagree actually. I think he does know what he wants to say with it. He’s humanising the people behind the facade. He’s critiquing the institution and how it dehumanises the players involved. He looks at the historical context and how it links to the monarchy. It’s clever in that regard, but then is well written on top of that with engaging storylines.
---
I don’t watch the Crown but keep seeing clips of it. Why have they got Kate & Carol meeting Diana and William as that never happened as Kate has said she never met her?

All the other clips look ridiculous too especially the one of her cutting photos of William out as if for a scrapbook on him 🙈

I can imagine Kate & William watching it and absolutely pissing themselves laughing 🤣

But you just know some people will take it as gospel 🤦‍♀️
I think they’ve shown the diana part as a plot device more than a realistic depiction. It’s showing them as young fated lovers. It’s also supposed to be the catalyst for Carole in engineering Kate’s Uni choices etc. to play matchmaker.
---
It was precisely for comments like this that The Crown had to add a disclaimer saying it was fictional. 🤣
yes I’m referencing the characters. Obviously. That’s why I mentioned a scene in the crown explicitly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
If Lady Louise meets her future husband at uni (like a lot of people do), will it be decided his Mother had engineered it?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
New thread here ⬇

don’t forget the constant, insipid, self pitying stares that poor old tortured wills has.

it’s like they told him “right, you’re the first fella to ever lose a parent and you’ve only got a choice of 4 or 5 palaces to call home, so life really is tough for you”
Got to admit I felt the same way about William - wanted to slap him.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.