The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The whole family should have been there the whole time, to support both the National team and Australia both as a team and country. It’s literally (really literally) his job and his role. What is the point of having a famous face figurehead President to promote the game at home and abroad if they watch the most important national team match in 57 years in front of the tele with a bag of crisps?
---

Yes … I assume it would be the same as with her honorary CBE when the Dutch Government had to agree to it.
That is EXTREME to the max

Reactions: 12
I don’t know, this is the first time in football the English team has got to the finals in nearly 60 years! It’s pretty unprecedented. Spain is sending their Queen and heir. If Camilla can’t go because of her age (as people have suggested) maybe there is an argument to be had about elderly heads of state. But it’s poor show that the opposite side is sending their Queen and heir and we are sending…the foreign secretary. For me I personally believe that if it was the men’s William would be there and George would be trotted out in his little suit.
Women’s sport is wholly under represented and not taken seriously at all. The amount of sexist and misogynistic comments I have seen about the women’s World Cup is shocking. And not having the FA President there to support a team in the finals just shows he doesn’t care and shouldn’t even hold that role. What’s the point of him having it?
Spain's heir is at a military school, the Queen is going with her younger daughter Sofia.

Reactions: 2
I don't know why I'm now seeing articles saying if Queen Letizia of Spain is going why isn't Kate? Shouldn't it be, why isn't Camilla? But then there's deffo something going on there as to why Camilla's lack of presence is being hushed up.
She's apparently terrified of flying but sucks it up when it's a formal visit and a reasonably short distance. That was given as a reason why Charles went alone to the Japanese Imperial enthronement due to the distance. Australia is a comparable distance.

Reactions: 5
Why? It’s not like they’re doing owt else :cool: 😀 ;)
a nice semi official, semi private soft power visit, supporting England and Australia … worth many brownie points.
I'm not sure the Australians would want TRF coming over. They'd be accused of attention seeking. Things are fractious enough with the Australians.
Prince William's not going to be allowed to rock up and hand over the winning trophy or anything.

It's football for goodness sake. And don't me started on calls for a bank holiday ... I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Tbh as someone not at all interested in football, men’s or women’s, I just think this whole thing has been totally blown out of proportion and is classic of the UK who is so obsessed with the sport. It’s a sport. Yes it’s a fantastic achievement and I hope they win but at the moment the press are all focusing on why a middle aged privileged man isn’t going when they should be focused on the excellent achievements of a group of women, many from less than privileged backgrounds

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Tbh as someone not at all interested in football, men’s or women’s, I just think this whole thing has been totally blown out of proportion and is classic of the UK who is so obsessed with the sport. It’s a sport. Yes it’s a fantastic achievement and I hope they win but at the moment the press are all focusing on why a middle aged privileged man isn’t going when they should be focused on the excellent achievements of a group of women, many from less than privileged backgrounds

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I know I keep saying it 😊 but putting the fact it’s William to one side, I think the President of the FA should be there to see a national team in a football World Cup final for the first time in 57 years. Whether that’s World Cup Willie, Geoff Hurst or William himself is irrelevant. The figurehead of the English FA should be there.

Reactions: 21
To me, it’s more the fact that William is President of the FA and so should actually be there as part of his actual job role … which would be the same for me whoever held that position. The fact it is in Australia adds another layer. He is currently down as next in line to be their head of state And they have just withdrawn from hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games. A bit of support for them and their team wouldn't have gone amiss. I thought soft power was meant to be their thing?
Australia aren't in the final

• Haha
It's a bloody long way for a football match. They may be on holiday. A Royal visit has to be planned in advance and there are huge security issues. The previous poster who suggested the whole family should be there seemed OTT. Is that Kate & the children (who aren't working Royals) or all working Royals including several elderly ones?

Reactions: 4
I know I keep saying it 😊 but putting the fact it’s William to one side, I think the President of the FA should be there to see a national team in a football World Cup final for the first time in 57 years. Whether that’s World Cup Willie, Geoff Hurst or William himself is irrelevant. The figurehead of the English FA should be there.
Agreed. If it’s too difficult for William to be there because it’s so far away and there are security concerns then maybe he shouldn’t do the role. There are plenty of people who have given to the game and are role models and who would be able to attend a World Cup final as president of the FA. If this brings an end to members of the RF getting roles in sports organisations that they have no connection to then that may be no bad thing. I don’t think that will happen soon though.

Reactions: 5
It's a bloody long way for a football match. They may be on holiday. A Royal visit has to be planned in advance and there are huge security issues. The previous poster who suggested the whole family should be there seemed OTT. Is that Kate & the children (who aren't working Royals) or all working Royals including several elderly ones?
Unfortunately, it’s their job.

I think <to me, in my opinion and all the usual disclaimers> there are two issues at play here.

The first is that the President of the FA isn’t going to be there to support the national team in the World Cup final. The first they have been in for 57 years. The fact that is William is to some degree irrelevent. Whoever the President is should be there, but it is William and so William should be there.

Coupled to that <again to me, in my opinion, etc, etc> is that fact the tournament has been held in Commonwealth countries so given the Commonwealth rumblings and the fact that they have recently pulled out of hosting the Commonwealth Games, given that <to me, etc,etc> William should have been there anyway then it would have been exceptionally good PR and goodwill for he and his family to be there from the start of the tournament (not just going for the final) It’s not like FIFA keeps the dates secret and only drops them at a couple of days notice. There would be plenty of time to arrange a semi official, semi private visit, even if it did clash with their summer holidays. Because, again, that’s the job. The trade off for the 4 homes, pretty clothes and a luxurious lifestyle is occasionally having to put the job first.

Reactions: 17
I think he’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

I agree this was a possibility so could have been pencilled into his diary, however as a member of the RF Australian are obliged to provide security for him if he travels there. Part of the Canadians’ issue with the other 2 basing themselves there.

Then if he travels and Catherine and the children don’t, the Royal Protection officers will have to be split and I’m sure that causes security and cost issues.

Could it have been planned better? Definitely. Can he win either way absolutely not.

Maybe we need a female FA president if William cant be bothered to support the women's team. I mean why have a FA President who cant go to the important matches (whether it be women's football/ Men's football or in Australia or America).

Reactions: 10
Maybe we need a female FA president if William cant be bothered to support the women's team. I mean why have a FA President who cant go to the important matches (whether it be women's football/ Men's football or in Australia or America).
Selecting someone based on merit and ability to do the job would be a start. Having read some articles, the powers that be at the English FA are obsessed with having a royal president.

Reactions: 7
If William & his family did go, they should be never all be allowed on the same plane again. If anything happened to them Harry would be our next King. 😱

I get what you’re saying, but football has transcended just being a sport in this country, and a lot of countries across the world. It gives people a purpose beyond most other means, organised religion is perhaps the only thing bigger at giving people that feeling of being part of something greater than them. Look at the shots of the streets of Argentina after they won the World Cup, even in this country Liverpools trophy parade last year was 9 miles long and had about a million people turn up for it. A survey was done a few years ago and of all the British institutions the Premier League was the one that made foreigners think most positively about the UK.

Honestly if Meghan was able to travel to America to watch her friend play in the US Open, I don’t see why William couldn’t for this. I know someone that drove from Liverpool to Kyiv a few years ago for a football game so a first class seat to do your job doesn’t seem that bad to me😂

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.