The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think they should send *someone* and pay for the flight out of their own pocket. Zara being a sporty type would be a decent compromise.

Reactions: 1
I think they should send *someone* and pay for the flight out of their own pocket. Zara being a sporty type would be a decent compromise.
But she isn’t a working royal, so they’re just paying for their cousin to attend.

Tbh Will does a pretty shoddy job of FA President as it is, at least with Wimbledon Kate gets involved in sporty engagements and does a few of them throughout the year. William just seems to go to the FA Cup final and sometimes turn up in a suit to hand stuff out. Considering it’s such a huge part of our cultural identity he could definitely do more with it.

Reactions: 10
It’s literally, I mean really literally his actual job as President of the FA.
It’s also basically the role of the Royal Family. If they don’t turn up to support British Teams on the national stage, then that’s a huge chunk of their job gone. They’ve been to football matches, to Wimbledon and to cheer the England cricket team on at Lords … but an actual team with an actual chance of winning … I’ll put tele on. It’s a misstep.
i mean, personally as the WC was taking place in Australia, there should have been RF presence there from the get go, regardless of how England did.
if William goes to Earthshot in a canoe, rather than one of those nasty plane things, I may reconsider.
Rubbish. He didn't go to any matches in Qatar nor does he follow cricket abroad. He can watch the matçh here without flying to Australia and back for one game. He is next head of state not a Team mascot

Reactions: 4
I don't know why I'm now seeing articles saying if Queen Letizia of Spain is going why isn't Kate? Shouldn't it be, why isn't Camilla? But then there's deffo something going on there as to why Camilla's lack of presence is being hushed up.

Rubbish. He didn't go to any matches in Qatar nor does he follow cricket abroad. He can watch the matçh here without flying to Australia and back for one game. He is next head of state not a Team mascot
And President of the FA.

You will notice, I said football matches (unspecified) rather than World Cup matches … although there were rumblings he would in fact have a word with general principals and go ‘if England did well’

Nice to know they only support on home soil. I assume there won’t be a presence at the 2026 mens proper World Cup in America, Canada or Mexico?
---
I don't know why I'm now seeing articles saying if Queen Letizia of Spain is going why isn't Kate? Shouldn't it be, why isn't Camilla? But then there's deffo something going on there as to why Camilla's lack of presence is being hushed up.
I think it’s a two fold issue or maybe even more. I think the fact that William is President of the FA means his presence is more … expected/necessary … than Charles so by extension Kate, who is marketed as Sporty Royal in her own right is joined in.

Then there’s the fact that Charles and Camilla at mid-70’s are going to struggle more with the turn around time, with it being left so late in the day to actually set foot in a commonwealth host country for support.

I think things like this really show the deficits in the working royal roster - in that you can’t block the same 2 months’ out every year for everyone for ‘holidays’ … someone needs to be on call … and it doesn’t help if only 2 of the people you have on hand are under 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I don’t think he will go either which is a mistake as this team had really caught public imagination and sentiment. When he jets off for something that isn’t as interesting to the public but is to him (like his weird enviro prize thing), this will be brought up again and again and each time the snub will be commented on. So there will be long term damage. He comes across as a very stubborn man which could be damaging long term as monarchy is a role where you have to adapt to what the public want from you. See Queen Elizabeth 2 after diana died.
But I think they would be right not to send Charlotte. She is 8/9 and not a working royal. It’s a long flight with a massive time change. The Spanish princess who is going is significantly older I think? So presumably much better able to stand it.
---
Isn’t she welll known among royal journos for being lazy?? But they don’t comment on it so as not to upset Charles

With a bit of clever planning they could have traveled to Australia or NZ for a family vacation and be there in time for the games

but then it’s not sunny summer weather currently down under

Reactions: 6
And President of the FA.

You will notice, I said football matches (unspecified) rather than World Cup matches … although there were rumblings he would in fact have a word with general principals and go ‘if England did well’

Nice to know they only support on home soil. I assume there won’t be a presence at the 2026 mens proper World Cup in America, Canada or Mexico?
---

I think it’s a two fold issue or maybe even more. I think the fact that William is President of the FA means his presence is more … expected/necessary … than Charles so by extension Kate, who is marketed as Sporty Royal in her own right is joined in.

Then there’s the fact that Charles and Camilla at mid-70’s are going to struggle more with the turn around time, with it being left so late in the day to actually set foot in a commonwealth host country for support.

I think things like this really show the deficits in the working royal roster - in that you can’t block the same 2 months’ out every year for everyone for ‘holidays’ … someone needs to be on call … and it doesn’t help if only 2 of the people you have on hand are under 50.
The Prince and Princess of Wales didn't attend a single England game in the mens' world cup in Qatar either. Unless it is a sporting event in the UK or an event taking place in a nation they are on a royal tour of there is no automatic reason they should go

Reactions: 5
The Prince and Princess of Wales didn't attend a single England game in the mens' world cup in Qatar either. Unless it is a sporting event in the UK or an event taking place in a nation they are on a royal tour of there is no automatic reason they should go
I have never said they went to a men’s WC match, but the fact they didn’t was more to do with the actual situation in Qatar than any logistical problems …and there had started to be indications that William may well go, if the team ‘did well’

As President of the FA, with a successful National team in with a real shout of winning a world tournament in over 50 years, taking place in a Commonwealth country, then yes … I do think his absence is a misstep.

And again, I know they didn’t go to any matches that had taken place in Qatar.

Reactions: 6
I have never said they went to a men’s WC match, but the fact they didn’t was more to do with the actual situation in Qatar than any logistical problems …and there had started to be indications that William may well go, if the team ‘did well’

As President of the FA, with a successful National team in with a real shout of winning a world tournament in over 50 years, taking place in a Commonwealth country, then yes … I do think his absence is a misstep.

And again, I know they didn’t go to any matches that had taken place in Qatar.
If the men’s team were in the finals then he would have gone.

Reactions: 7
It won't. They seem to be really good at hiding when they are on holiday, I don't know if the papers are in on it or not. They just seem to come back tanned and it's never mentioned. I don't think they've been reported as having gone to mustique since covid?

Even if it was the men I don't think he'd have gone. Australia is soo far, even in first class. Maybe if it was the men's rugby OTOH...
I don't think he would have either. Australia isn't somewhere you pop to.

We don't know where he currently is in the world if he's away with the family.
---
Exactly. I can't recall them going anywhere outside of the UK specifically for a sporting event.

Reactions: 2
I think too much is being made of him not going. It's not as if his presence is going to make a big difference to the team or he's going to contribute anything to the occasion. He'd just be sat in the stand and he'd pop up in the crowd shots a few times.

I think he messed up big time when he brought climate change into it though. He's given everyone a rod to beat him with for the foreseeable future. That was really stupid of him. Does he not realise how many other flights he takes that don't appear to be strictly necessary either.

I think too much is being made of him not going. It's not as if his presence is going to make a big difference to the team or he's going to contribute anything to the occasion. He'd just be sat in the stand and he'd pop up in the crowd shots a few times.
I don’t know, this is the first time in football the English team has got to the finals in nearly 60 years! It’s pretty unprecedented. Spain is sending their Queen and heir. If Camilla can’t go because of her age (as people have suggested) maybe there is an argument to be had about elderly heads of state. But it’s poor show that the opposite side is sending their Queen and heir and we are sending…the foreign secretary. For me I personally believe that if it was the men’s William would be there and George would be trotted out in his little suit.
Women’s sport is wholly under represented and not taken seriously at all. The amount of sexist and misogynistic comments I have seen about the women’s World Cup is shocking. And not having the FA President there to support a team in the finals just shows he doesn’t care and shouldn’t even hold that role. What’s the point of him having it?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
With a bit of clever planning they could have traveled to Australia or NZ for a family vacation and be there in time for the games

but then it’s not sunny summer weather currently down under
It’s going to be sunny and 23 degrees here in Sydney on Sunday. Our winters are like English summers 😂

• Heart
No sorry but he should be there. What's another bloody plane journey when they hop on and off planes all the time anyway?

Its the first time since 1966 England have reached the finals
His staff should have penciled it in incase the team got to the finals
Surely they could arrange a jet to Oz
As FA president it looks bad and like 'oh its only the women's so lets not bother' a bit like when they won the Euros only a few of the team got MBE's and if I remember right they had no open top bus tour celebration.

Reactions: 12
Can Sarina be given an honoury dame hood if we win? Is that the highest honour foreign nationals can get?

Reactions: 3
No sorry but he should be there. What's another bloody plane journey when they hop on and off planes all the time anyway?

Its the first time since 1966 England have reached the finals
His staff should have penciled it in incase the team got to the finals
Surely they could arrange a jet to Oz
As FA president it looks bad and like 'oh its only the women's so lets not bother' a bit like when they won the Euros only a few of the team got MBE's and if I remember right they had no open top bus tour celebration.
The whole family should have been there the whole time, to support both the National team and Australia both as a team and country. It’s literally (really literally) his job and his role. What is the point of having a famous face figurehead President to promote the game at home and abroad if they watch the most important national team match in 57 years in front of the tele with a bag of crisps?
---
Can Sarina be given an honoury dame hood if we win? Is that the highest honour foreign nationals can get?
Yes … I assume it would be the same as with her honorary CBE when the Dutch Government had to agree to it.

Do we think if TQ was alive William would have gone?
No.

Just because it's football doesn't mean it needs representation by the royal family. Where would it stop? If a tennis player was in a Grand slam final? (No one thought Kate should have been there to support Emma Reducanu) or if the cricket team were on the verge of winning the Ashes in Australia? A British tennis player in the US Masters? How about a British darts player in the World Championship?

It's because it's bloody football and that trumps everything else.

No.

Just because it's football doesn't mean it needs representation by the royal family. Where would it stop? If a tennis player was in a Grand slam final? (No one thought Kate should have been there to support Emma Reducanu) or if the cricket team were on the verge of winning the Ashes in Australia? A British tennis player in the US Masters? How about a British darts player in the World Championship?

It's because it's bloody football and that trumps everything else.
To me, it’s more the fact that William is President of the FA and so should actually be there as part of his actual job role … which would be the same for me whoever held that position. The fact it is in Australia adds another layer. He is currently down as next in line to be their head of state And they have just withdrawn from hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games. A bit of support for them and their team wouldn't have gone amiss. I thought soft power was meant to be their thing?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.