The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Beatrice and Eugenie are relatively good leads to follow here, to some degree. They both have titles and grew up as princesses and they both now have normal jobs and a few charity patronages for things they are genuinely interested in. They don’t receive funding because their charity work is seperate to the monarchy, my theory would be that Charlotte and Louis will follow a similar path.

it would make sense for their to be a plan for them to support George whilst doing their own thing. The problem that crops up is when that thing operates in contrast to the monarchy. Working for an art gallery like Eugenie? Fine. Working on tell all royal documentaries for Netflix? Not so great 🤣

ETA- you also have the funding problem. If they are doing some official work they are entitled to public money, but if they also have their own job and private income it’s a murky water. Financially at least, you really do have to be either in or out
The days of the Princess Margaret model of a very privileged and indolent (if clearly extremely unhappy) lifestyle in return for doing some public duties are clearly over.

I also think that the days of the Princess Anne model are also gone. I know she has worked hard and is appreciated (rightly) for what she has done but I don’t think that model of a sibling to a monarch really works now.

And then I agree with you that enabling them to do their own jobs could also lead to issues. They might not be issues like with Harry and Megan but there will be clashes with what their brother is doing or accusations that they don’t really do anything (which I have seen levelled against Beatrice and Eugenie in their jobs).

It’s not a dilemma I would want to find the answer too.

Reactions: 1
The days of the Princess Margaret model of a very privileged and indolent (if clearly extremely unhappy) lifestyle in return for doing some public duties are clearly over.

I also think that the days of the Princess Anne model are also gone. I know she has worked hard and is appreciated (rightly) for what she has done but I don’t think that model of a sibling to a monarch really works now.

And then I agree with you that enabling them to do their own jobs could also lead to issues. They might not be issues like with Harry and Megan but there will be clashes with what their brother is doing or accusations that they don’t really do anything (which I have seen levelled against Beatrice and Eugenie in their jobs).

It’s not a dilemma I would want to find the answer too.

I don't think that's true. If Prince Harry was still around I think he would have very much been involved. The public already sees Charlotte as George's Anne.

Reactions: 4
There is definitely room for a “spare” to work as a royal and I think Charlotte will, providing she wants to etc, but I think it will still be more of a hybrid approach as opposed to Anne who does god knows how many engagements a year.

I suppose the ideal situation is George does uni, army and then full time engagements and meets a wife just like his mum who is willing to shut up and “work”. Charlotte adopts some sort of hybrid approach where she does engagements whilst perhaps still doing her own thing and Louis does military and then finds his own path, something in the forces would be ideal, attends all the family events and is the “popular” younger brother with just enough interest in his personal life to keep the tabloids happy but never too much to cause scandal.

Now they just have to mould their personalities to match…

I suspect Charlotte and Louis are being raised with an expectation they'll have a career.
For much of the history of English aristocracy, being an aristocrat was their job. The expectations were to run your estate, oversee a few investments, and manage your social calendar, as marriage and networking were part of maintaining your wealth and status.

Time and social change has meant that that idea of aristocrat as a role in life is not the norm. Even for the royals it's getting hard to justify.
Anne had an equestrian career. Yes, it's a career that requires money to even try, but she had a non-royal focus. Edward worked in theatre production.

I imagine we'll see Charlotte and Louis pursue some form of private sector role that allows them significant freedom to do the public parading when needed, if they lack the sporting talent to go in that direction.

Reactions: 6
I'm not convinced the monarchy will be slimmed down that much. What if George doesn't produce an heir? Can't have someone who isn't in the public eye stepping up.

I know Anne does hundreds of engagements but we hardly ever see what she's doing and what value it brings.

I'm not convinced the monarchy will be slimmed down that much. What if George doesn't produce an heir? Can't have someone who isn't in the public eye stepping up.

I know Anne does hundreds of engagements but we hardly ever see what she's doing and what value it brings.
I think she does a lot of dull mundane stuff cutting ribbons and planting trees etc. But like the late Queen she understands the importance of being seen by people and not just meeting and greeting politicians and foreign royals in grand banquets.

Reactions: 7
I think she does a lot of dull mundane stuff cutting ribbons and planting trees etc. But like the late Queen she understands the importance of being seen by people and not just meeting and greeting politicians and foreign royals in grand banquets.
Anne does the unglamorous nuts and bolts Royalling.

Reactions: 8
Anne does the unglamorous nuts and bolts Royalling.
Yes she does and it's important because it gives ordinary folk who may have very mundane jobs a chance to meet or at least see the Royals in the flesh close by. I am not a royalist but many ordinary people are and a visit to their workplace by a royal will make them feel special if only for a few hours. I don't think That the Prince and Princess of Wales will do this type of dull work which will end up distancing them from many people.

Reactions: 10
Yes she does and it's important because it gives ordinary folk who may have very mundane jobs a chance to meet or at least see the Royals in the flesh close by. I am not a royalist but many ordinary people are and a visit to their workplace by a royal will make them feel special if only for a few hours. I don't think That the Prince and Princess of Wales will do this type of dull work which will end up distancing them from many people.
Agreed. They have made it pretty clear that they don’t see the value in doing this work.I actually agree that it is a great way for the RF to build up goodwill but I don’t think that’s considered important by the younger generation which is why I don’t think Charlotte and Louis will be encouraged to do it. It’s not seen as relevant anymore.

Reactions: 3
It’s difficult isn’t it … I know the way they work has changed recently, and lockdown has highlighted that it’s probably more time efficient to do things via Zoom or whatever, but there really is no substitute for the personal touch. My friend ‘met’ Princess Anne at a Royal visit in the 1980’s when she went to her work and genuinely almost 40 years later she still points out the tree and says ‘I was there when it was planted’ and she’s about as unfazed about the royal family as you can get.

Reactions: 9
Agreed. They have made it pretty clear that they don’t see the value in doing this work.I actually agree that it is a great way for the RF to build up goodwill but I don’t think that’s considered important by the younger generation which is why I don’t think Charlotte and Louis will be encouraged to do it. It’s not seen as relevant anymore.
Might be the beginning of the end then.

Reactions: 2
. She literally turned up, cut the ribbon, had a brief chat to the higher ups then left again.
That’s pretty much standard with the Royals. It’s not intensive yet they are often praised like they are doing open heart surgery.

Reactions: 11
That’s pretty much standard with the Royals. It’s not intensive yet they are often praised like they are doing open heart surgery.
But that is all it needs to be for people who meet them to be happy and talk about it for years like @Boring Monday friend and that’s where they get the publics goodwill from - people who have had any kind of passing encounter with them and will still talk about it years later and be proud of it

But that is all it needs to be for people who meet them to be happy and talk about it for years like @Boring Monday friend and that’s where they get the publics goodwill from - people who have had any kind of passing encounter with them and will still talk about it years later and be proud of it
That’s very true - the man who met Charles whilst riding said that he was annoyed because he didn’t want to care but found the interaction very cool. Which I understand but I do feel like some people over exaggerate the greatness of what the Royals do which, when you boil it down, isn’t that big.

Anne's been in Thurso this week, which is nearly as far north as you can go without needing a ferry, at the University of the Highlands and Islands graduation ceremony, congratulating all 70 graduates. Thurso in bad weather is about as far from glamourous as it gets, but she's Chancellor of UHI, which is split into lots of mini campuses all over the Highlands and Islands, and she turns up and does her duty.

Reactions: 18
Being seen to believed as the queen put it is worth its weight in gold for the royal family to be present and in people’s minds. That has value. Showcasing normal people and the things people do. Businesses, charities, organizations.

William and Kate are too good to rub shoulders with plebs. It’s boring. They don’t work because they don’t want to and made it clear.

Anne opened a charity shop in the town I’m from. She literally turned up, cut the ribbon, had a brief chat to the higher ups then left again.
Anne (like all the royals) has everything made easy for them. She may be the hardest working royal (not saying much) but it's kind of the least she can do given the home and opportunities she has provided for her being a royal. I would be a hard working royal too if i was taken by helicopter, private jet or chauffeured everywhere to cut a ribbons and meet a few people every day in return for a massive country house with bills paid for.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Anne (like all the royals) has everything made easy for them. She may be the hardest working royal (not saying much) but it's kind of the least she can do given the home and opportunities she has provided for her being a royal. I would be a hard working royal too if i was taken by helicopter, private jet or chauffeured everywhere to cut a ribbons and meet a few people every day in return for a massive country house with bills paid for.
I have to disagree with you there, honestly there is no amount of money and privilege that would make me "be a royal", constantly badgered, critiqued, your every move publicised and you can't do right no matter what. I'd much rather make my own money or marry a millionaire 🤣😉

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Her house is not, and never was taxpayer funded. It was her wedding present from her parents, paid for from private funds.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.