The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And why I don’t think it will happen here. I think increasingly people are indifferent to the RF but the chaos that would come from getting rid of them means there is no incentive to do so.
This is the big thing IMO. It's all very well people having an opinion either way, or being indifferent, but it would take an official referendum I presume? I have always presumed it would need a Brexit style vote, initiated by a political party, and the reality is, there are more pressing matters for them to focus their attention on and the sheer amount of work required would likely span at least one political term so you would need someone willing to commit their tenure as PM to it, which I struggle to imagine

Reactions: 6
There are a number of titles that can go through the female line … a lot of the Scottish ones do and definitely the Mountbatten one was remaindered to the female line and held by Lord Louis daughter, Patricia Knatchbull … it just depends how they were initially set up.

The adoption issue is bigger than anything Charles could personally change. Like a lot of things, the law hasn’t caught up with medical advancements. I assume it‘a because it regards adoption as taking in someone outwith the blood line … so they can’t inherit because they are not related (adoption the other way carries as normal … so if say the heir to the Westminster dukedom was adopted by the butler, they would still inherit the dukedom at the appropriate time). The thing with surrogacy is that even if it was, for arguments sake, George’s sperm used so the blood line is uninterrupted the baby would still need to be adopted … and that’s where currently the law doesn’t differentiate and that’s heck of a lot of legal unpicking and reknitting.

(A bell is ringing that it’s an issue that the Marquess of Bath has taken up because their second son was born via a surrogate).
Yes, she had to have an emergency caesarian due to hypophysitis and was basically told never to get pregnant again as her life would be in danger. She has spoken about it.

An interesting one is the recent birth of the new prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, grandson of Princess Benedicte of Denmark. For those who didn't follow the case, her son was prohibited from marrying anyone who wasn't noble, Protestant or Aryan by his Nazi paternal grandfather's will or lose his entire inheritance. He fought it for years while living with his half-Swedish, half-Mexican partner who was accepted as his de facto wife, appearing with him at Danish royal events. He eventually won the case, the German court deciding that he hadn't been married to a non-nobel non-Protestant non-Aryan at the time of inheritance so the will was fulfilled. He married his partner last year. They are both in their mid-fifties so their child was born by surrogate; presumably they had gone through IVF some years ago for just this eventuality. Surrogacy is apparently illegal in Germany (they went to the USA, as did the Baths) so presumably some adoption might have to take place and there might be some stushy later on about the inheritance - adopted but genetically theirs. Interestingly, he's been named after his Nazi great-grandfather; a raised finger perhaps on behalf of this part-Mexican prince?

Reactions: 7
Even in countries where they have abolished the role of the monarchy there is still a pretender to the throne. If we abol8shed the title of king I am not sure a lot would change. Charles or William would probably keep some of their titles and houses. They don't have much real power so in practice it would not be a huge change. I think they will gradually lose some of their ceremonial roles and influence in the commonwealth. William seems to prefer a quiet life so I don't think he will be too bothered.

Reactions: 1
Even in countries where they have abolished the role of the monarchy there is still a pretender to the throne. If we abol8shed the title of king I am not sure a lot would change. Charles or William would probably keep some of their titles and houses. They don't have much real power so in practice it would not be a huge change. I think they will gradually lose some of their ceremonial roles and influence in the commonwealth. William seems to prefer a quiet life so I don't think he will be too bothered.
And some like Simeon of Bulgaria set up their own political party and become Prime Minister!

They'd get to keep loads of property and a tonne of money and unless Britain abolished all titles then they'd have some kind of title too. I'd love it if I were William especially looking towards George's future.

This is the big thing IMO. It's all very well people having an opinion either way, or being indifferent, but it would take an official referendum I presume? I have always presumed it would need a Brexit style vote, initiated by a political party, and the reality is, there are more pressing matters for them to focus their attention on and the sheer amount of work required would likely span at least one political term so you would need someone willing to commit their tenure as PM to it, which I struggle to imagine
I'll be honest, I don't think it would come from a politician for risk of someone trying to cry treason.

I suspect if the time comes that it'll be a discussion between politicians and the monarch, and the monarch "voluntarily" stepping down.
It would also need to happen slowly, to allow for the appropriate legislation to pass to remove the ceremonial but necessary legislative role of the monarch - likely the final monarch would sign the legislation ending the monarchy.

There would also be the unraveling of the finances - I know a lot of people like to assume the royals are all fully funded by taxpayers, but that's simply factually incorrect. Even the Sovereign Grant has its complexities as it relates to the Crown Estate, which is neither privately owned by the monarch, nor government property.
Any stepping down of the monarchy would mean establishing what is private wealth and not privy to any disposal unless donated by the monarch/appropriate family member in ownership, what is Crown Estate and how to dispose of this, and whether agreement could be reached as to items or properties that are owned by the monarch outright, but are of significant public interest (the crown jewels spring to mind).

Whenever it comes to pass, I pity the folks involved in the minutiae of it all.

DM writing a non story from years ago and still managing to mess up the headline
IMG_4716.jpeg

also saying Kate won’t go to Singapore because George has exams which I can only think are his SATS unless he is doing an entrance exam for secondary school

• Haha
I saw on Twitter the exams are likely to be his Eton pre-entrance exams which they take in October or November in year 6 so that would add up. I can't fault her for not going abroad when he has what I presume are his first experience with exams, and pretty important ones at that (although I'm sure they would let the future King in even if he failed, but I doubt they are telling George that otherwise why would he even bother putting effort in)

Reactions: 11
I saw on Twitter the exams are likely to be his Eton pre-entrance exams which they take in October or November in year 6 so that would add up. I can't fault her for not going abroad when he has what I presume are his first experience with exams, and pretty important ones at that (although I'm sure they would let the future King in even if he failed, but I doubt they are telling George that otherwise why would he even bother putting effort in)
It would also follow him around forever. Just think of the various times his grandfather's academic merits have been discussed. "They only got into xyz because..."

Reactions: 3
And the monarchist Tories beat the republican Corbyn in 2019 anyway and now even Starmer backs keeping the monarchy
---

---
Though Australia looks likely to reject even giving Aborigines a voice in its parliament next month, let alone another monarchy referendum
---
I'd like to hope by the time George is on the throne CoE might have come around on the issue of same-sex marriage. After all, it's only a couple of generations since a monarch wasn't allowed to marry a divorcee with a living former spouse.

We've had gay kings before, just not a gay king with a spouse of his preferred gender.
The C of E Synod have now approved blessings of homosexual couples
---

Those exams would also give entrance to a large number of other independent schools (hence they are known as Common Entrance) so they are really important exams for George's year group. They are the private equivalent of the old Eleven Plus for state schools so no wonder Kate is staying at home during October for the four exams.

Reactions: 5
Those exams would also give entrance to a large number of other independent schools (hence they are known as Common Entrance) so they are really important exams for George's year group. They are the private equivalent of the old Eleven Plus for state schools so no wonder Kate is staying at home during October for the four exams.
I can’t fault her there. I’d be staying home if my child were doing the exams as well.

Reactions: 8
Why do you need to "fault her" for anything? What a miserable approach to life.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Why do you need to "fault her" for anything? What a miserable approach to life.
It’s a figure of speech… Someone mentioned she wasn’t going to Singapore as it’s when George has his exams and I was merely saying I would do the same thing were I in the same situation. It’s not that deep.

Reactions: 17
I just used it as a phrase? I don’t sit here every day looking for a reason to “fault” her believe it or not (in fact I’m usually quite supportive of her)

I simply phrased it that way as there had already been a lot of chatter on this thread about her potentially not going so she could look after the kids but to me the exams add a new element that I fully support

Reactions: 5
I just used it as a phrase? I don’t sit here every day looking for a reason to “fault” her believe it or not (in fact I’m usually quite supportive of her)

I simply phrased it that way as there had already been a lot of chatter on this thread about her potentially not going so she could look after the kids but to me the exams add a new element that I fully support
I wouldn’t worry, I think pretty much everyone else understood you.

I think it’s usually seen as a positive phrase. OP probably misunderstood.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
And the monarchist Tories beat the republican Corbyn in 2019 anyway and now even Starmer backs keeping the monarchy
---

---

Though Australia looks likely to reject even giving Aborigines a voice in its parliament next month, let alone another monarchy referendum
---

The C of E Synod have now approved blessings of homosexual couples
---
Ah, Tyl you've been missed🤩

It’s weird though isn’t it? As someone whose whole career is mapped out for him, it doesn’t really matter if he passes the exams or not (I accept there are good reasons why it would be best if he did). It must be so strange to have no choice over what the rest of your life must look like.

• Sad
It’s weird though isn’t it? As someone whose whole career is mapped out for him, it doesn’t really matter if he passes the exams or not (I accept there are good reasons why it would be best if he did). It must be so strange to have no choice over what the rest of your life must look like.
It’s not a life I’d choose for my children. That’s why I’d rather be Pippa and her children. All the wealth and privilege but more freedom.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.