The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it’s fine if people use their privileges to spend more time with the children. Just because others can’t doesn’t mean they shouldn’t. That’s like saying, because some families can’t afford to go the the movies other families shouldn’t as well.
Other families aren't receiving a grant from the tax payer in return for duties though.

I really think we should have the equivalent of a service level agreement in place so we know what we are getting for our money.
---
I think Camilla looked amazing at the state banquet. Girl got a glow up

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Prince Andrew's home has 98 acres and 30 rooms, including 7 bedrooms spread across the two uppermost floors. It also has a small cottage within the grounds.

He lives there alone (perhaps with Fergie sometimes).

This is clearly a ridiculous building for one person.
How very dare you. He lives with his teddies.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Other families aren't receiving a grant from the tax payer in return for duties though.

I really think we should have the equivalent of a service level agreement in place so we know what we are getting for our money.
---
Literally this!!!

There are plenty of wealthy people who can afford to not work or have a light workload but they're PRIVATE CITIZENS (kates sister being one!)

But don't expect the public who are already struggling to pay you while you want to play happy families and work when you want.

Reactions: 8

---
What would you want them to do though? People say they are lazy but I'm not sure what they expect. Do you want them out and about every day? The monarch is the only one with constitutional duties and he fulfills them. The others turn up in fancy outfits for the set pieces that apparently go down well with tourists. They put their names to specific projects. I'm really not fussed about seeing them in some small town somewhere on a rainy Tuesday unveiling statues or accepting flowers from small children.

Reactions: 7
I’d also add that there is I presume a cost to every engagement? Security, travel, staff etc. So does more engagements mean more cost? Are they simply working within the parameters of the budget they have? I imagine a visit by Will and Kate would cost more security wise than say one from Anne? Simply being devils advocate here… it’s hard to form a full opinion when we don’t have all the facts, just the surface level numbers to judge

I got my first King Charles coin yesterday - 50p. But I think we'll still have money with the Queen on it when Big Willy is on the Throne.

Reactions: 3
I’d also add that there is I presume a cost to every engagement? Security, travel, staff etc. So does more engagements mean more cost? Are they simply working within the parameters of the budget they have? I imagine a visit by Will and Kate would cost more security wise than say one from Anne? Simply being devils advocate here… it’s hard to form a full opinion when we don’t have all the facts, just the surface level numbers to judge
I honestly think that's a huge problem with the Royals - the ambiguity around how much they cost the public and how much money they earn or even their net worth so it's easy for them to avoid questions like above

From memory both the Queen and Prince Philip did more engagements than both of them and I imagine the cost of either in terms of security is high so I can't see the reason why they can't do more....

Reactions: 4
I think it’s like most things, you have the loud voices on either end - the ones who scream that they bring in millions for tourism every year and the ones who scream that they cost us millions which could be spent elsewhere - when the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Do I think the majority of tourists who come to London do so because of the royals? No. Do I think we would be any better off financially if we didn’t have them? No. The funding and finances are so complicated, the crown estate, duchys etc, that I don’t think the majority of people understand how it all works (I don’t) which makes it harder to form an opinion and easier to be convinced by those loud extreme voices on either side

Reactions: 14
So been thinking about The Royals and their future. How do you manage Charlotte and Louis if you are the RF? I don’t think you want them to grow up expecting only to do royal duties. The army etc works for a bit but they couldn’t stay in it forever. Would they be expected to have normal jobs? I think their positions still limit what they can do.
Also financially how does that work? I know William and. Harry inherited money from their mother and Harry more from the Queen Mother but the RF money will go to George only. I don’t think they are going to be poor but presumably it could be an issue that they can’t fund the lifestyle they grow up in (like Andrew).
It’s interesting to me as part of what the RF does going forward. They are part of it but also need to be independent of it. It’s tricky.

Reactions: 4
So been thinking about The Royals and their future. How do you manage Charlotte and Louis if you are the RF? I don’t think you want them to grow up expecting only to do royal duties. The army etc works for a bit but they couldn’t stay in it forever. Would they be expected to have normal jobs? I think their positions still limit what they can do.
Also financially how does that work? I know William and. Harry inherited money from their mother and Harry more from the Queen Mother but the RF money will go to George only. I don’t think they are going to be poor but presumably it could be an issue that they can’t fund the lifestyle they grow up in (like Andrew).
It’s interesting to me as part of what the RF does going forward. They are part of it but also need to be independent of it. It’s tricky.
I would imagine that all of Prince Philip/The Queen’s immediate descents were left things … I imagine that the likes of Charlotte and Louis will have quite nice trust funds. Charles will obviously also set them up. Their personal wealth will be impressive even without dibs on the various Duchies and Seabeds.

The RF is interesting because by and large they don’t actually seem to be academic … that’s just a round hole they are square pegged into … most of the off shoots who have made their own way tend to be more sporty, arty or military (Princess Margaret’s children and grandchildren include furniture designers, artists and sculptors). It’s a tricky one … as children/siblings of the monarch they are never going to be able to work from the bottom up. Whatever they do, they will always slot in at the top end with an office and name on the headed paper and copious amounts of holidays … but it’s not beyond the bounds that one at least will end up being a full time working royal.

Reactions: 2
I think Beatrice and Eugenie are relatively good leads to follow here, to some degree. They both have titles and grew up as princesses and they both now have normal jobs and a few charity patronages for things they are genuinely interested in. They don’t receive funding because their charity work is seperate to the monarchy, my theory would be that Charlotte and Louis will follow a similar path.

it would make sense for their to be a plan for them to support George whilst doing their own thing. The problem that crops up is when that thing operates in contrast to the monarchy. Working for an art gallery like Eugenie? Fine. Working on tell all royal documentaries for Netflix? Not so great 🤣

ETA- you also have the funding problem. If they are doing some official work they are entitled to public money, but if they also have their own job and private income it’s a murky water. Financially at least, you really do have to be either in or out

I think Beatrice and Eugenie are relatively good leads to follow here, to some degree. They both have titles and grew up as princesses and they both now have normal jobs and a few charity patronages for things they are genuinely interested in. They don’t receive funding because their charity work is seperate to the monarchy, my theory would be that Charlotte and Louis will follow a similar path.

it would make sense for their to be a plan for them to support George whilst doing their own thing. The problem that crops up is when that thing operates in contrast to the monarchy. Working for an art gallery like Eugenie? Fine. Working on tell all royal documentaries for Netflix? Not so great 🤣

ETA- you also have the funding problem. If they are doing some official work they are entitled to public money, but if they also have their own job and private income it’s a murky water. Financially at least, you really do have to be either in or out
I guess it depends on what is defined as official work and how frequent it is. If I remember correctly, Eugenie did a couple of engagements a few years ago with The Queen. I like to think that non working royals would do the odd royal engagement when asked just to help out their family, and as a bit of payback for the incredibly privileged upbringing they had at the expense of public funding.

I honestly think that's a huge problem with the Royals - the ambiguity around how much they cost the public and how much money they earn or even their net worth so it's easy for them to avoid questions like above

From memory both the Queen and Prince Philip did more engagements than both of them and I imagine the cost of either in terms of security is high so I can't see the reason why they can't do more....
I think QEII got a reputation for being hardworking simply due to longevity. She took months off at Christmas, the summer and Easter. If you add all those up plus long weekends at Windsor it's not that impressive.

I think QEII got a reputation for being hardworking simply due to longevity. She took months off at Christmas, the summer and Easter. If you add all those up plus long weekends at Windsor it's not that impressive.

Over almost 80 years of service though……..adds up.

Did she only do representative stuff? No bureaucracy? She sure did, no?

Reactions: 1
The Queen still had the Red boxes to work from everyday. So yes, she was still working.

Reactions: 5
The Queen still had the Red boxes to work from everyday. So yes, she was still working.
Imagine if they were just filled with marmalade sandwiches though like in the Paddington Bear sketch.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Over almost 80 years of service though……..adds up.
That's the thing with William and Kate too - they'll be working until they're dead and their busiest time will be when he's monarch and they'll be older then. I think they could do a bit more now but then I also think they have their busiest years ahead of them so why not make the most of being at home with the kids now while they're young.

Reactions: 12
I am not sure a King Wiliam will ever play in rank of numbers like the two generation before him. HMTQ, her children and cousins are quite the outlier. In the UK and in the rest of the world. All royal families have longer periods off.
I do however, strongly believe W&K need to add more low key public engagements. The security cost might be higher, but the value to their picture in the public is balancing off the costs in my opinion. I, for sure, would rather see Kate visit some random place, ordinary people or a charity instead of a politician. I have become quite disillusioned as they have the power to put the money where it’s needed instead of filling the pockets that are already filled. The royals, while well compensated are not in charge. So their visit and them listening to problems is not even half aa cynical as yet another MP promising a lot (or just bashing the political opponents) just to turn around and make things worse. Politicians get paid to rule us. The royals get paid to represent the UK to the world and its own citizens. therefore it is important that the ordinary person feels seen by its nation. That is something the UK is doing much better than many other nations. I wouldn’t want to be represented by Prince Creep for sure though.

I agree with that posters that see the younger Walses following the York example. I also don’t necessarily think that the financial perks are much different for the RF than other Uber rich people. Just as their aristocratic background with certain experiences and privileges isn’t much differently from other well bred aristocrats. The combination is quite rare though but there are some. I do wonder though how much W&K get actually paid on a yearly basis outside the Dutchy of Cornwall. Including their months off as vacation days a £/d price would be interesting.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.