The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Earthshot is William’s project why should Kate be there? Edward and Sophie do things internationally separately and there isn’t the same fuss?

*edited for autocorrect

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I agree they can work more, but Catherine staying home when William is abroad for work isn’t her being workshy if she’s doing engagements at home. He doesn’t follow her to all her big engagements in the UK, why would she follow him to Singapore? Unless there’s worthwhile engagements for her to do out there it actually seems counter intuitive to go for the sake of going with him.

Reactions: 13
You can be cold and unloving and there all the time 🤷‍♀️
The Queen was only criticised in later years … at the time (from what relatives who were there at the time remember) she wasn’t … she was seen as doing A good job as Queen and the childhood that Charles and Anne had was actually nothing out of the way for upper class, military service families where dad went on a posting, mum went with him kids stayed home with nanny or boarding school.
That's very true!
The Queen was also a young woman in a typically 'man's world'. In the 50s/60s, it was obviously much more common for women to stay at home and the men work. I bet she was trying to prove to advisors/politicians/media that she was as capable as a man would be.

Reactions: 2
That's very true!
The Queen was also a young woman in a typically 'man's world'. In the 50s/60s, it was obviously much more common for women to stay at home and the men work. I bet she was trying to prove to advisors/politicians/media that she was as capable as a man would be.
You have to remember as well, the generation of that time. My own relatives had been evacuated and lived away from home for 2 years at just 7 years old (their mum asked the train driver where they were going, to be told ‘wherever the track takes us’), another spent years in a Sanatorium with TB and the oldest of the Aged’s was a newly wed with a husband in Burma and all that entailed during and after. A child left in their own home with a nanny was actually seen as pretty good going.

Reactions: 3
You have to remember as well, the generation of that time. My own relatives had been evacuated and lived away from home for 2 years at just 7 years old (their mum asked the train driver where they were going, to be told ‘wherever the track takes us’), another spent years in a Sanatorium with TB and the oldest of the Aged’s was a newly wed with a husband in Burma and all that entailed during and after. A child left in their own home with a nanny was actually seen as pretty good going.
it annoys me when people see history through todays eyes (if that makes sense). Just because something is unusual now, doesn't mean it wasn't usual then.

Reactions: 9
I saw this and wondered if there might be something going on with one of them. Pure speculation of course but I first thought it when William didn’t go to Australia and they never gave an official line (just speculation) despite the criticism, if there was a reason he didn’t want to be so far from home. Then again when they both went to France last weekend but went separately and then again when I saw she wasn’t planning to go to Singapore. I thought there was a chance something was up with one of the kids and they don’t want them both to be far from home at the same time. Pure speculation of course, but then isn’t that what tattle is for 😂😂

Here on The Royal Thread we call it 'Witchelling' 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Here on The Royal Thread we call it 'Witchelling' 🤪
OMG Witchelling- my favourite period of tattle ever! Mad to think it’s been a year since Witchelling was at its peak as we watched him try to come up with something new to say whilst we waited for an announcement 😂😂

• Heart
  • Haha
It's not because it was seen as ok in the past that it makes it fine nowadays. The education Charles and siblings - and many other children from that time -received has been proved to be detrimental for their development and long term well-being. Charles suffered from having cold and distant parents but didn't manage to be that better with his own sons because he was himself lacking in ressources to deal with the emotions that a close bound would require.

Nowadays most parents having the kind of career including regular business trips make their best to always have 1 parent at home while the other is abroad. It's one thing to let once per year the children at home with their nanny for a few days, it's another to do it regularly. If people think that Kate and William are not enough dedicated to their duties maybe the best is to not have a monarchy - or to give them lower allowances to perform less duties etc.

Reactions: 1
TBH, if William and Catherine worked 30 hours a week term-time only we would see far more of them. They have at least one full-time nanny, the children must all be in school now. What the feck are they doing all day long?

Reactions: 13
I do think that it’s a PR thing too though. If they were out and about every day of the week, the media and the public would get bored of them quickly. By only appearing once or twice a week it keeps the interest there. And that interest is paramount to the future of the monarchy. But then you have the flip side of the coming across as workshy and lazy. I suppose what I’m saying is I don’t think it’s as black and white as that

Reactions: 7
I do think that it’s a PR thing too though. If they were out and about every day of the week, the media and the public would get bored of them quickly. By only appearing once or twice a week it keeps the interest there. And that interest is paramount to the future of the monarchy. But then you have the flip side of the coming across as workshy and lazy. I suppose what I’m saying is I don’t think it’s as black and white as that
We have to agree to disagree. To me, they are a family that has convinced people that a massive sense of entitlement is a duty to public service. They either need to show they can do something useful or see themselves removed. Even Charles had set up the very impressive Princes Trust long before the age of William. Harry has Invictus. W&C are just giving lip service and sound bites. We are not that society anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
We have to agree to disagree. To me, they are a family that has convinced people that a massive sense of entitlement is a duty to public service. They either need to show they can do something useful or see themselves removed. Even Charles had set up the very impressive Princes Trust long before the age of William. Harry has Invictus. W&C are just giving lip service and sound bites. We are not that society anymore.
I don't think any of them are useful per se. They are just decorative and the monarch has the role of a figurehead. Charity work is just a way to give them some legitimity. There are many charities that do an amazing work without any royal patronage. Most people seem more concerned about Harry and Meghan's soap opera than Invictus itself. It's a bit defeating the point. Anne is constantly on royal duties but most people cannot tell what kind of charities she is supporting - especially not the young people. As for Philip and Charles trusts, they were good initiatives but any wealthy person can set up something of this kind. The fact they were part of the RF didn't play an important factor. So to be honest, I don't see the point to sustain a dysfunctional family as long they are showing up enough in public. The number of damaged people they produced don't seem to be worth it. It might have made sense in the past, where the King had an effective power but nowadays it's just decorum. I only see a drastic reform with a much reduced budget or the abolition of the monarchy as a real long term solution.

TBH, if William and Catherine worked 30 hours a week term-time only we would see far more of them. They have at least one full-time nanny, the children must all be in school now. What the feck are they doing all day long?
Kate is probably getting a workout and lunch in with Pippa.

William shooting?

Reactions: 3
I will say that a work trip to Australia or Singapore with the normal standard of parents being at work is not an apt comparison.
If something happens to a kid (an accident, falling ill, etc.) while their parent is at work, while it may mean a bit of a struggle to get the leave sorted or get away if you have a bad manager, you're available to that child quickly. Being on the other side of the world is not the same situation.

If they choose to have one parent in the same country as their kids over both attending an overseas event, I really don't think it's fair to act like they're doing that solely because they're lazy, or that it couldn't impact on the sense of security of children.

That's not to say there's not discussions to be had about their workload, but the arguments about international travel being akin to a parent being at the office don't ring true.

it annoys me when people see history through todays eyes (if that makes sense). Just because something is unusual now, doesn't mean it wasn't usual then.
Evacuation was something people put up with hoping to keep their children safe. Many children, my dad and aunt included, were retrieved and taken back home after a couple of months. They were split up and my dad had a miserable experience. Their parents, especially their mum, missed them terribly and took them back home. They were far from alone in that, despite living in a heavily bombed shipbuilding area, and my dad had a big gang of friends around throughout the war years. Talking about the evacuation still upset him even 60 years later.

Reactions: 4
Camilla looks ‘refreshed’ as though she’s had a bit of work done. The baby pink she’s wearing is a bit summery for the endish of September

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.