The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know! Is it weird for me to say I sort of enjoyed it? Not the fact she died of course bless her, but watching all the events and in particular the queue chat on tattle was something really memorable! We won't experience anything quite like it again that's for sure.

That moment when the she arrived back at Buck Pal still gets me
Oh yes, when the police outriders lined up and bowed their heads as the hearse drove past them and through the gates 😢

Reactions: 3
When Ch5 show random RF programmes (there are 3 scheduled tonight. On a Saturday evening!) I get the feeling something is going on with the RF. Like with all the recent Kate PR in the papers 🤔
They've been doing that for at least the last couple of years. There's always royal documentaries on channel 5 on Saturday nights.
---
Harry is 5th in line to the throne. Prince George is 1st.
Yes and to repeat yet again, if William AND HIS FAMILY were wiped out, Harry would be King. How can George be King or his siblings reign IF THEY ARE WIPED OUT?
PS George is actually second in line to the throne.

Reactions: 1
William is lazy. He will always be lazy. He has always been lazy. (I know people who went to uni with him. He was like that then, too.)

Where do the profits come from? Oh, the taxpayer!

Laziness in a public servant who has multiple houses, and refuses to work or do anything of use or note, is not cool. Politician, or royal. The privileges are immense, and they do not return as much as they take, at all. You have a job: do the darn job. Not like they nor many of them have a history of it, but they skive off on this 'image' (and dead Mummy) that won't last forever. It's cracked. They don't have the foresight to care.

Leonor and Sofia are real credits to their parents. I'm impressed by Leonor especially. What a class act for a young woman! I find it super interesting she's off to the military before university.
No profits DO NOT come from the taxpayer. The Crown Estate belongs to the Crown as corporate sole and the Duchies are royal duchies. Taxpayers don't pay a penny for them.

The 'job' of Prince of Wales is primarily a ceremonial one which it is up to the holder to use as they wish. They only get paid as working royals when they do those duties anyway. Only the role of King is a formal constitutional one as head of state

Reactions: 4
They always go to the Commonwealth Games and The Queen opened the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal … because again a Commonwealth Country. So from that point of view, with the World Cup being held across 2 Commonwealth Countries, a RF presence would have been polite.

But putting that to one side, the President of the FA should have been there. Whoever it was. It just so happens that it’s William, which is why it’s being discussed here.
Precisely

Reactions: 2
Do you think William would have gone if it hadn't had been so far away?
I think it's somewhat of a moot point now, but I'd say there's decent odds he would. If it was within Europe or even North America it could be done (at a push for some areas) with a night away if they didn't commit to other events while there to add some PR.

Getting to Aus? On a commercial flight they were looking at around 23 hours flight time each way. So commit to two days purely to getting there and back.
Arrangement of either his usual team of folks (i.e. flights and accommodation) or an Aussie team would need some wrangling, and if flying out English staff you're going to need to add a bit of time padding for simple avoidance of cruelty. Expecting someone to go from 23 hours of travelling straight into work mode with about a 10 hour time difference is not a working condition staff are going to withstand well.

I think people are just going "oh, a first class flight and a football match? Suck it up and do your job" without thinking of all the moving parts and other, non-royal humans they might be committing to that travel and turnaround with little to no notice.

I am a little biased as I have had to do the trip of NZ to the UK on short notice, and I'd not sign someone up for that exhaustion solely to see them get a bit of press.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Oh yes, when the police outriders lined up and bowed their heads as the hearse drove past them and through the gates 😢
When Emma the Queen's pony bowed! :(
---
I heard that Letizia and Sofia went to Australia on a military plane. Im sure if William had done that, there would be uproar too!

Reactions: 8
I think it's somewhat of a moot point now, but I'd say there's decent odds he would. If it was within Europe or even North America it could be done (at a push for some areas) with a night away if they didn't commit to other events while there to add some PR.

Getting to Aus? On a commercial flight they were looking at around 23 hours flight time each way. So commit to two days purely to getting there and back.
Arrangement of either his usual team of folks (i.e. flights and accommodation) or an Aussie team would need some wrangling, and if flying out English staff you're going to need to add a bit of time padding for simple avoidance of cruelty. Expecting someone to go from 23 hours of travelling straight into work mode with about a 10 hour time difference is not a working condition staff are going to withstand well.

I think people are just going "oh, a first class flight and a football match? Suck it up and do your job" without thinking of all the moving parts and other, non-royal humans they might be committing to that travel and turnaround with little to no notice.

I am a little biased as I have had to do the trip of NZ to the UK on short notice, and I'd not sign someone up for that exhaustion solely to see them get a bit of press.
To be fair, James Cleverly managed it … or it was managed for him.

The bottom line, for me, is that it should have all been sorted out much sooner. At the very least it was known from 12 August that England would meet Australia in the semi final, meaning that one of the countries the RF is head of state of will be in the final. But it’s all irrelevant now and I’m sure there will be a big swanky party that will pull focus.

When Emma the Queen's pony bowed! :(
---
I heard that Letizia and Sofia went to Australia on a military plane. Im sure if William had done that, there would be uproar too!
To be honest a lot of what many foreign royals "get away with" would be absolute carnage for the British royals. I remember seeing clips of one of the Jordan Princesses on her phone at a wedding...could you imagine the uproar if one of ours did that? 😂 😂

For whatever reason, the UK royals ARE held to a much higher standard worldwide than any of their foreign counterparts.

At least the last week has cleared up any suggestion of a secret deal William has with the tabloids to only get good press because they're all STILL running with it today...

Reactions: 6
To be honest a lot of what many foreign royals "get away with" would be absolute carnage for the British royals. I remember seeing clips of one of the Jordan Princesses on her phone at a wedding...could you imagine the uproar if one of ours did that? 😂 😂

For whatever reason, the UK royals ARE held to a much higher standard worldwide than any of their foreign counterparts.

At least the last week has cleared up any suggestion of a secret deal William has with the tabloids to only get good press because they're all STILL running with it today...
I suppose there is nothing else happening of a Royal nature, seeing as they are on their annual Wakes week months and Harry is being inconveniently quiet … so there is actually nothing to bury it under. While the football is still in the news, so this will be.

I suppose the take away would be if you are going to be perceived to make a PR boo-boo, don’t do it in the quietest part of the news cycle year, on a story that will be headline news for a fortnight.

Last edited:
No profits DO NOT come from the taxpayer. The Crown Estate belongs to the Crown as corporate sole and the Duchies are royal duchies. Taxpayers don't pay a penny for them.

The 'job' of Prince of Wales is primarily a ceremonial one which it is up to the holder to use as they wish. They only get paid as working royals when they do those duties anyway. Only the role of King is a formal constitutional one as head of state
Jesus!! Are some people stupid!! Surely they teach this in schools, as you mentioned above regarding crown estate and duchys! I’m Irish and I even know this, it seems to be a common tread I come across!!

Reactions: 5
I know many people in Monaco are super rich, but the royal family in Monaco cost each tax payer over £1000 a year!!

Even the Luxembourg royals cost each taxpayer nearly £20 a year

...Makes our £1.28 a year seen cheap!

Reactions: 9
I know many people in Monaco are super rich, but the royal family in Monaco cost each tax payer over £1000 a year!!

I suppose you get what you pay for...

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I'm not making excuses for them. That's how it came across to me. If Charlotte is sporty and continues being very sporty into her teens she will have a valuable role to play in encouraging girls to play sport, including football. There is still an attitude out there that football is not for girls, and many formerly sport girls drop all sport when they hit their teens. A 'pretty' princess showing she'd rather be playing football or hockey or whatever is a really good, strong message.
I think women’s football has been pretty popular for some years now. And finally has grown enough to get public recognition. Ever since Kick it like Beckham was a huge hit. And this has now culminated in well developed female players. People underestimate how long it takes to develop young talents. To build a team full of star players you need a big pool of young players to choose from.
I actually don’t care if any royal is really passionate about anything. What matters is that they act the part. Convincingly. So if Charlotte is into football and the women’s team that’s great. But we do know for sure George is into football. I am sure he watched the games just as other boys. So why not include him? They shouldn’t start making things his or hers already. And the sad and sexist truth is- George can never outshine Charlotte. She is a Princess. We already know that, whoever he marries will be measured against her and there will be tons of contradicting stories about the sister she never had and icy feuds.

I'm not making excuses for them. That's how it came across to me. If Charlotte is sporty and continues being very sporty into her teens she will have a valuable role to play in encouraging girls to play sport, including football. There is still an attitude out there that football is not for girls, and many formerly sport girls drop all sport when they hit their teens. A 'pretty' princess showing she'd rather be playing football or hockey or whatever is a really good, strong message.
Queen Letizia took her second daughter, Infanta Sofia, to Australia with her. Sofia is a teenager and apparently a football player. You can see her on the pitch for the celebrations - she has her father's height.
---
Leonor and Sofia are real credits to their parents. I'm impressed by Leonor especially. What a class act for a young woman! I find it super interesting she's off to the military before university.
The Duchess of Brabant (Princess Elisabeth, the Belgian heir) did the same. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is actually an active officer in the Home Guard, their version of the TA.

Last edited:

I lived in Luxembourg and from what I locally heard the Duchess was a similar character to Charlene, as in she had 'security' every time she went back to Costa Rica just in case she decided never to return

• Wow

I remeber reading a book called "and what do you do?" disputes this 1.28 cost as the finances of the royals are muddled at best.

Republic also have a good article on the true cost of the Royals - https://www.republic.org.uk/the_true_cost_of_the_royals

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.