The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t remember if it was on this thread or Twitter but I saw a post “I don’t think the fallout from this will be as bad as after Diana died but it will be bad” or something along those lines 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️
Insane. My own humble opinion on this is he should have gone, not because of his royal role but simply in the context in his FA role.

Had it been the men there would have been proper uproar because rightly or wrongly it has a bigger global relevance. But to compare this to Diana is mental.

Reactions: 3
I bet they’ll secretly be a sigh of relief England got beat from the RF and their PR.

Reactions: 1
No of course it isn’t as bad as what happened after Diana died. I think the point is that now that the Queen is gone, any goodwill from the public to her heirs (particularly William) is gradually being chipped away. Any missteps will attract more attention and the more that people question the need for them the greater they are at risk. So whilst not as catastrophic a PR disaster I don’t think they are in a position to weather any scandals as well as they might have in the past.
Exactly

They already had the PR disaster from the Caribbean tour. Plus meghan and Harry (can't stand them but can't deny they've done some damage to RF in many peoples eyes)

Watching the queen of Spain with the winning Spanish team now. If we had won it would be pretty embarrassing to have some lower level minister there doing it.

Reactions: 5
If he wasn't president of the FA it wouldn't be as bad and certainly not all on his shoulders. But he is. Its appalling that neither Rishi or any RF are there. I don't care if they're on holiday, they are our leaders who have a privileged life. Sometimes you have to cut your holiday short or interrupt it, just like us normal people do in certain high power jobs.

To add to it, the videos he's released of just him a Charlotte actually makes it worse. Where's Kate and the boys? Don't they support the women? The whole family would have been a much stronger message.

They have just handled this whole thing badly.
Tbh does it really matter if the boys don’t follow and support the women? Most young boys don’t and forcing George to take part, when Charlotte by all accounts is actually interested in the women’s team, isn’t fair to him. He’s got his whole life to pretend to care about some strangers at walkabouts, they don’t need to get him acting now.

Reactions: 4
Tbh does it really matter if the boys don’t follow and support the women? Most young boys don’t and forcing George to take part, when Charlotte by all accounts is actually interested in the women’s team, isn’t fair to him. He’s got his whole life to pretend to care about some strangers at walkabouts, they don’t need to get him acting now.
That's a very depressing post. Certainly not reflective of what I'm seeing on social media. Loads of dad's and sons supporting the women's team and been watching the tournament.

Reactions: 10
Insane. My own humble opinion on this is he should have gone, not because of his royal role but simply in the context in his FA role.

Had it been the men there would have been proper uproar because rightly or wrongly it has a bigger global relevance. But to compare this to Diana is mental.
I actually think they would have been less uproar if William hadn’t gone to the men’s. Missing the men’s makes it either seem lazy or at least believable on the climate change excuse, missing the womens turns it in to a conversation on sexism.

Reactions: 6
I'd agree with you if QE was alive. But as the heir he surely must realise he needs to step up. Especially as his dad is by now elderly

George likes football though … does it actually matter who is kicking the ball?
Having a successful national team in anything is to be celebrated.

Reactions: 10
That's a very depressing post. Certainly not reflective of what I'm seeing on social media. Loads of dad's and sons supporting the women's team and been watching the tournament.
Social media isn’t that reflective of society as a whole though, and even if it was, George shouldn’t be forced into liking the women’s sport because he likes football. I like football but I don’t care to watch lower leagues. If a boy doesn’t want to watch the women there’s no problem, just like Charlotte might not care about the men’s game but no one would see a problem in that.
---
George likes football though … does it actually matter who is kicking the ball?
Having a successful national team in anything is to be celebrated.
Similar to my other post yes it does. A game between Liverpool and City is far more entertaining than a game between say San Marino and Lichtenstein.

Social media isn’t that reflective of society as a whole though, and even if it was, George shouldn’t be forced into liking the women’s sport because he likes football. I like football but I don’t care to watch lower leagues. If a boy doesn’t want to watch the women there’s no problem, just like Charlotte might not care about the men’s game but no one would see a problem in that.
No it isn't, but neither is your view of boys not liking girls sport. That argument works both ways.

He doesn't have to be forced to like it, but the whole family, boys and girls, sends a much stronger message. No ones being forced to watch it either, but first the sake of a shirt video just showing that girls football is not 'lesser than' is a positive message .

Reactions: 5
I can’t remember if it was on this thread or Twitter but I saw a post “I don’t think the fallout from this will be as bad as after Diana died but it will be bad” or something along those lines 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️
It was on here. Particularly memorable as it was noted as "Princess Die," which certainly catches the eye.

• Haha
---

Similar to my other post yes it does. A game between Liverpool and City is far more entertaining than a game between say San Marino and Lichtenstein.
I went to a Lichtenstein v Republic of Ireland WCQ game in 1995 and it was tremendous fun.

I'd agree with you if QE was alive. But as the heir he surely must realise he needs to step up. Especially as his dad is by now elderly
His Dad is King not him and in his 70s, still 20 years younger than the Queen at her death. The Prince also has a young family unlike his father.

The Prince has plenty of time to take over the main role full time in 10 or 20 years when his father likely steps down from the role if he is still alive by then

• Haha
  • Angry
---

Is it? Some of the best games I’ve seen have been local lower league games.

But that’s irrelevant anyway because it was actually to show support to a national team in a World final.

Last edited:
His Dad is King not him and in his 70s, still 20 years younger than the Queen at her death. The Prince also has a young family unlike his father.

The Prince has plenty of time to take over the main role full time in 10 or 20 years when his father likely steps down from the role if he is still alive by then
Oh right so.

But it was the World Cup final not lower league. Oh and whilst social media might not be reflective of society it’s very obvious that the women’s game is attracting families as can be seen from the coverage. There’s more woman and more children (boys and girls) watching which is a massive positive. Yo have zero interest in cricket or rugby but am still able to want the national teams to do well without being forced.

Reactions: 6
No of course it isn’t as bad as what happened after Diana died. I think the point is that now that the Queen is gone, any goodwill from the public to her heirs (particularly William) is gradually being chipped away. Any missteps will attract more attention and the more that people question the need for them the greater they are at risk. So whilst not as catastrophic a PR disaster I don’t think they are in a position to weather any scandals as well as they might have in the past.
Thank you. You’ve just articulated what I was trying to say above.

The Prince is also figure head and President of the FA which aims to promote diversity, grassroots and support teams at home and abroad. That’s his actual job now

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Charlotte is a Princess and will be wearing the pretty clothes and sparkly things. George will more than likely be in a suit or military uniform. Charlotte will get the lion’s share of the headlines.

It’s ‘well, protocol‘ when then don’t want to do something and ‘modernising the monarchy’ when they do.
I'm not making excuses for them. That's how it came across to me. If Charlotte is sporty and continues being very sporty into her teens she will have a valuable role to play in encouraging girls to play sport, including football. There is still an attitude out there that football is not for girls, and many formerly sport girls drop all sport when they hit their teens. A 'pretty' princess showing she'd rather be playing football or hockey or whatever is a really good, strong message.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.