The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Harry is 5th in line to the throne. Prince George is 1st.
Yes of course, William is 1st, George 2nd, Harry 5th; but if William, George, Charlotte and Louis all die in the same plane crash, then Harry will be king. That's the whole point of "they better not be on the same plane in the future".

Reactions: 2
When Ch5 show random RF programmes (there are 3 scheduled tonight. On a Saturday evening!) I get the feeling something is going on with the RF. Like with all the recent Kate PR in the papers 🤔
C5 often have royal documentaries on, often after eachother and most weekends. Nothing new.

I think the Kate stories is just to push her forward as the future queen. Both her and William have been pushed forward as the heirs and are noticeably looking more regal. I think the RF is now settling after the hand over and figuring out who is doing what and what people's roles are moving forward.

If anything I'd say the Palace maybe aren't expecting a long reign for Charles. Hence the PR drive on our future monarch.

William has set a precedent now though. He can't go to a long haul sporting final abroad again.

I really don't think people would have minded him going. This isn't a holiday, its literally his job as head of the FA and as future king of the country. He wouldn't even be there on anything commonwealth related. He wouldn't be flying private so it's not an extra plane in the air.

Like I say, if he can't do this type of big event (not just about football but for gender equality) then what is the point of the RF. This is their second mistake I'd say , after that awful Caribbean royal tour.

Reactions: 11
C5 often have royal documentaries on, often after eachother and most weekends. Nothing new.

I think the Kate stories is just to push her forward as the future queen. Both her and William have been pushed forward as the heirs and are noticeably looking more regal. I think the RF is now settling after the hand over and figuring out who is doing what and what people's roles are moving forward.

If anything I'd say the Palace maybe aren't expecting a long reign for Charles. Hence the PR drive on our future monarch.

William has set a precedent now though. He can't go to a long haul sporting final abroad again.

I really don't think people would have minded him going. This isn't a holiday, its literally his job as head of the FA and as future king of the country. He wouldn't even be there on anything commonwealth related. He wouldn't be flying private so it's not an extra plane in the air.

Like I say, if he can't do this type of big event (not just for football but for gender equality) then what is the point of the RF.
Agreed. Taking an otherwise-unfilled BA Club World seat on a scheduled flight that's going anyway would have had negligible carbon footprint. Much, much less than Sunak uses for one of his helicopter flights to or from Southampton. He can't hide behind that excuse without looking like a fool.

I know it's August, and the royals are traditionally on their country estates at this time of year. He's off shooting, I get it. But he's not just any royal, he's President of the FA and aspires to be King in the near-ish future.

English teams have only previously appeared in international finals at the 1966 World Cup and Euro 2020. Senior royals were present at both. The only possible reason for no-one turning up tomorrow is that it's women's football, rather than men's. And, frankly, that looks bleeping dreadful.

It's been the most read story on the BBC News website all evening. If England win tomorrow, it's going to turn into a disaster.

Screenshot from 2023-08-19 22-38-36.png

Reactions: 8
Sorry but the cost of security etc and the short period means this trip really isn’t viable but the William can’t win scenario narrative isn’t click bait.

Reactions: 6
I do wonder how many of those angry or upset William isn't attending the final have made those flights on short notice.

Yes, it would have been nice for him to turn out to support the team, particularly given it's a women's team and are so often paid significantly less and given less attention than their male counterparts.
But it's also a hell of a journey to make, and to do so for a single game would have come with its own set of controversy (cost, environmental impact, lack of attendance at this or that event while there, etc.) so I'm not going to judge either way on this one.

Agreed. Taking an otherwise-unfilled BA Club World seat on a scheduled flight that's going anyway would have had negligible carbon footprint. Much, much less than Sunak uses for one of his helicopter flights to or from Southampton. He can't hide behind that excuse without looking like a fool.

I know it's August, and the royals are traditionally on their country estates at this time of year. He's off shooting, I get it. But he's not just any royal, he's President of the FA and aspires to be King in the near-ish future.

English teams have only previously appeared in international finals at the 1966 World Cup and Euro 2020. Senior royals were present at both. The only possible reason for no-one turning up tomorrow is that it's women's football, rather than men's. And, frankly, that looks bleeping dreadful.

It's been the most read story on the BBC News website all evening. If England win tomorrow, it's going to turn into a disaster.

View attachment 2391262
England women also made the final of the Euros last year and won it, William was present for it and presented the trophy. But all three of those finals have taken place in England. However I still think William should be there and like you said flown BA first class.

I do wonder how many of those angry or upset William isn't attending the final have made those flights on short notice.

Yes, it would have been nice for him to turn out to support the team, particularly given it's a women's team and are so often paid significantly less and given less attention than their male counterparts.
But it's also a hell of a journey to make, and to do so for a single game would have come with its own set of controversy (cost, environmental impact, lack of attendance at this or that event while there, etc.) so I'm not going to judge either way on this one.
I think it's mostly a failure on the part of his political advisors.

The cost (either financial or environmental) of him travelling would have been neither here nor there. The additional security requirement would have been negligible - there are already plenty of other bigwigs there, after all.

The real problem is that everyone is on holiday. The glorious twelfth was last week, but it's a bit gauche for someone of Baldy's standing to turn up on the first weekend, so this will be the first time he'll have been able to go shooting this year.

In this sort of situation, the monarchy is meant to act as a puppet of the government, but Sunak's off in California with his phone switched off. Who's in charge? Dowden? And what's he had to say about it all? Nothing. Which is not good enough.

It's too late now. The final is less than twelve hours away, so it's too late for anyone with any clout to get there; they just have to wait and watch the disaster unfold.

If the first english team for, what, 58 years? wins the world cup tomorrow and the most senior person to have bothered to turn up is Lucy Frazer (who?!), then all hell will break loose. It will be a catastrophe. Think of the flag not flying at half mast after Princess Die drove into a wall, only worse because they can do nothing to fix it.

I just can't understand it. Why did no-one see this coming? Surely Dowden should have been on the phone to Sunak to let him know about the groundswell of opinion back home? Baldy should have been on the plane yesterday. There's really no excuse, and if England win tomorrow the royals and the government are going to be in deep, deep tit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Kylie could do it. She's practically British royalty.

Danni at a push. Although she's more of a Fergie really.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Kylie could do it. She's practically British royalty.

Danni at a push. Although she's more of a Fergie really.
Is Kylie over there? Would she accept an emergency Dukedom? Can it be done in time? If so, let's do it!

Kylie, Duchess of Victoria and Danni, Marchioness of the Surrey Hills, to hand the trophy to the Lionesses in about 10 hours' time. Sorted.

Best they can hope for, really. Whatever happens, Baldy needs to resign as FA President immediately.

• Haha
  • Heart

The cost (either financial or environmental) of him travelling would have been neither here nor there. The additional security requirement would have been negligible - there are already plenty of other bigwigs there, after all.

The real problem is that everyone is on holiday. The glorious twelfth was last week, but it's a bit gauche for someone of Baldy's standing to turn up on the first weekend, so this will be the first time he'll have been able to go shooting this year.

In this sort of situation, the monarchy is meant to act as a puppet of the government, but Sunak's off in California with his phone switched off. Who's in charge? Dowden? And what's he had to say about it all? Nothing. Which is not good enough.

It's too late now. The final is less than twelve hours away, so it's too late for anyone with any clout to get there; they just have to wait and watch the disaster unfold.

If the first english team for, what, 58 years? wins the world cup tomorrow and the most senior person to have bothered to turn up is Lucy Frazer (who?!), then all hell will break loose. It will be a catastrophe. Think of the flag not flying at half mast after Princess Die drove into a wall, only worse because they can do nothing to fix it.

I just can't understand it. Why did no-one see this coming? Surely Dowden should have been on the phone to Sunak to let him know about the groundswell of opinion back home? Baldy should have been on the plane yesterday. There's really no excuse, and if England win tomorrow the royals and the government are going to be in deep, deep tit.
BIB - that’s a bit dramatic, it’s a football match 😂

Reactions: 10
It may be 'a football match' but it's the first time in 57 years an England team have reached the finals and William is president of the FA so by rights should be there.

Reactions: 12
Yeah I mean I don't like football or really care about the world Cup. But come on, surely no one is ignorant enough not to realise what a big deal us being in the final is, especially on the world stage.

If Sunak is in California then he should be hopping on a plane instead as that's closer. The fact that no senior leader from the country will be there is pretty appaling. Its also not just about football, its about female equality

Also I've had jobs where I've travelled long haul for basically 48 hours. It's not great, but it's my job. William as head of FA means it's his job too, even if you forget the future king angle. I can understand Charles not going at his age, but William is 40. He could handle the quick trio.

Like I say, this will be remembered (especially if we win) and he won't be able to go to a long haul final again.

Reactions: 11
If the first english team for, what, 58 years? wins the world cup tomorrow and the most senior person to have bothered to turn up is Lucy Frazer (who?!), then all hell will break loose.
Well, she is the secretary of state for culture, media and sport. That's exactly who my government would be sending to the tournament. The only difference is that in my country sports is the job of the minister of defense.
Reuters have reported on Friday that the British foreign minister James Cleverly will attend the final.

Reactions: 3
People acting as if he can just book a single seat and fly out there. No. It's a big team and logistical nightmare.

For pr purposes he has to limit his flights and 44+ hours for 2 hours isn't worth it. I doubt he'd go to Australia for a men's match either, Charles wouldn't let that.

Fair enough he attended when it was a few miles away, this is nearly a 20'000 mile round trip. I think more would complain if he did go that far for a ball game.

Back to tennis and Kate is a patron of the LTA, raducanu was trained by the LTA and was representing the UK at the US open final and quite rightly there was no calls for her or Boris Johnson to attend.

I still think he should be there as part of his role as President of the FA. The FA merrily trumpets about promoting equality in football, promoting diversity, building the game, supporting at home and abroad … and then say, but, but, but it’s my summer holidays. Have the Foreign Secretary who lost the best of 101 games of rock, paper, scissors.

This should have been sorted months’s ago. It’s not like FIFA keep the dates secret. Even going for the semi final on Wednesday and staying until today would not be unreasonable. Just get a FIFA wallchart. You can plot the likely progress through the tournament and work out the ‘big’ dates before a game is played.

Whoever holds the post of President of the FA should be there. If it wasn’t William, then he could take Selfies supporting in front of the tele to his hearts content. But it is William and so as incumbent of the role and FA figurehead he should be there. It’s irrelevant now, but I think it was a PR misstep, by the FA and the RF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I agree he would of gotten grief if he’d of gone but I still think he should of been there. I think it looks worse especially as the Spanish Royals have gone over. Like @Boring Monday has said PR have gotten this one wrong. If I was them I’d be secretly hoping for Spain to win at least then the “well they didn’t win anyway, William flying over will of been a waste of time” attitude will take over whereas if England win I don’t think this will be forgotten about for a while.

I wonder if they’re on holiday somewhere and digging their heels in…the video could well be prerecorded. If that comes out the backlash will be quite significant particularly when there are views that W&K do very little and yet continue to live a life of unimaginable luxury.

Reactions: 7
William, as President of the FA should be there. It’s the first WCF for 57 years and the first women’s final for England ever.

It is a massive misstep and hiding behind security/carbon footprint (and he hasn’t actually clarified why he couldn’t be there) is a nonsense. He permanently has security wherever he is. I think the heir to the throne has the clout to get some last minute tickets on a commercial flight.
The Waleses very carefully control the narrative and black out details of holiday/trips. We hear of holidays in the Scilly Isles but not holidays to Jordan (until the Xmas card) or Mustique or St Bart’s (Pippa’s in laws). I bet there are private jets galore.

We all assume the advisors got it wrong. Maybe William just said no.

I utterly despise this government for many, many reasons but 'only' sending the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to a football match on the other side of the world is not one of them

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.