The Royal Family #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
‘I trusted Carole Middleton as mother-in-law of the future King’
https://newspaper.mailplus.co.uk/da.../package/2488/pub/8558/page/25/content/448465

Ignore the headline but this article definitely tries to ask questions of how the Middleton's were able to afford the things they did, even pre-William. It mentions things like them paying 200k cash for land in, buying the 800k flat in Chelsea etc. Says Carole had gone hands off at the business for the past 3 years (and yet tried to launch in the US last year or so?).

Reactions: 6
‘I trusted Carole Middleton as mother-in-law of the future King’
https://newspaper.mailplus.co.uk/da.../package/2488/pub/8558/page/25/content/448465

Ignore the headline but this article definitely tries to ask questions of how the Middleton's were able to afford the things they did, even pre-William. It mentions things like them paying 200k cash for land in, buying the 800k flat in Chelsea etc. Says Carole had gone hands off at the business for the past 3 years (and yet tried to launch in the US last year or so?).
Didn’t Michael Middleton have a trust fund? I think that’s how they sent the kids to private school anyway, not sure if it also stretched to the properties or it was invested cleverly. I’ve certainly never believed all their wealth came from a party decorations company
---
112A18EC-E63F-4D76-990C-D5C0D1FDD379.jpeg

The press around this does make me laugh, because you can guarantee if William bailed them out this would read

“That in turn leaves ordinary working Britons wondering if they are now on the hook after the future King bailed out his mother in laws business failure with taxpayer money”

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Didn’t Michael Middleton have a trust fund? I think that’s how they sent the kids to private school anyway, not sure if it also stretched to the properties or it was invested cleverly. I’ve certainly never believed all their wealth came from a party decorations company
This trust fund is one of those things that has only started being mentioned more recently, and maybe only on here? Not sure I've ever seen the press state that. It's not in that article and that delves into their finances a lot.

It was a partnership until 2019 and then they got some backers. Did they do this on purpose so they personally wouldnt eventually be on the hook for all those costs that couldn't be paid off?

Reactions: 4
This trust fund is one of those things that has only started being mentioned more recently, and maybe only on here? Not sure I've ever seen the press state that. It's not in that article and that delves into their finances a lot.

It was a partnership until 2019 and then they got some backers. Did they do this on purpose so they personally wouldnt eventually be on the hook for all those costs that couldn't be paid off?
It’s on Mike’s Wikipedia page so unless they read it here?!

It’s on Mike’s Wikipedia page so unless they read it here?!
I think it is vanishingly unlikely that any trust he might have had would be large enough to educate 3 children at Marlborough and then university. I suspect it is at least partially a convenient fiction.

Reactions: 3
I was intrigued so had a look. This article is from 2014 and looks into the trust fund (it’s lengthy and goes on a bit although is an interesting tale) which seems to say there was a trust fund in the family somewhere

Reactions: 2
I was intrigued so had a look. This article is from 2014 and looks into the trust fund (it’s lengthy and goes on a bit although is an interesting tale) which seems to say there was a trust fund in the family somewhere

Highly unlikely that a £52,000 trust fund started in 1936 would be worth £2.9 million today, and that £2.9m would be split 4 ways between Olive's grandchildren. That quarter would not keep 3 children in privare education from nursery to 18. A typical, well managed trust today would bring in an income of about 2%.

Reactions: 5
I assume Michael M had another job/business that was bringing in significant cash when the children were younger? Both parents worked in Jordan and probably didn't pay any tax.

Reactions: 1
Highly unlikely that a £52,000 trust fund started in 1936 would be worth £2.9 million today, and that £2.9m would be split 4 ways between Olive's grandchildren. That quarter would not keep 3 children in privare education from nursery to 18. A typical, well managed trust today would bring in an income of about 2%.
£52,000 in 1936 would be worth £4,701,942.45 in 2023 apparently. A quarter of which might not fully pay for C, P and J's education but it would definitely help.

£52,000 in 1936 would be worth £4,701,942.45 in 2023 apparently. A quarter of which might not fully pay for C, P and J's education but it would definitely help.

You would have to spend the capital. It was potentially just under £3m in 2014, so even less when they were at school. Marlborough is one of the more expensive schools. Even now the income from £4.7m would be somewhere in the region of £94,000 before tax. Divide that by 4 and you are nowhere close to paying boarding school fees. None of it adds up.
When I think about it this situation is very unfair on the Middleton offspring, particularly Catherine. None of it can be any of their doing and sooner or later questions will be asked.

It’s basic standard to protect your own bank account from your failing business. If your company goes bust or sued it doesn’t affect your private money. I do wonder how their business could be SO successful but then I look at Hallmarks and Clinton’s Cards….

I know businesses fail all the time but I do feel sorry for the Afghan refugee who got caught up in the failure of Party Pieces. I can see why someone who arrived in the country recently might well think that the royal family connection would give extra financial security.

I am fascinated by the trust fund story now. I had always just accepted it but now I am questioning it

Reactions: 4
Pretty sure if there was anything untoward about how they became millionaires the journalists would have found out years ago when Kate first came on the scene.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Pretty sure if there was anything untoward about how they became millionaires the journalists would have found out years ago when Kate first came on the scene.
There's not much digging they can do if the business is a partnership. They didn't have to publish accounts so it couldn't be looked into deeper. The dodgiest thing it could be is Gary giving them money but that's no crime, and I don't think the papers could be bothered printing that and ruining the relations with William

Although I do think some things about how they got so wealthy don't add up, e.g. the trust fund and the business, I highly doubt there's anything massively dodgy going on. I just don't think William would be stupid enough to allow it to be honest and the whole family would have been vetted when Kate married the future King.

The problem with the Middleton's is it's such a fine line between being "public interest" or not. On the one hand you could argue it's naff all to do with anyone how they made their money and OK it may have got Catherine to St Andrews, but it didn't force William to fall in love with her and marry her, he could have married anyone (and any of the artisto circles he ran in have some dodgy questions to answer about where THEY got their wealth)

On the other hand of course they do benefit from their position, invites to Ascot, Wimbledon etc and are the parents of the future Queen...although personally I'm not sure that equates for the current obsession into their finances. IMO the only way this is justified as in the public interest would be if William was involved in their financial situation either by facilitating loans or giving them money, hooking them up with rich investors etc which I'm not convinced is whats happened

I'm interested to see how much more airtime this is given before it's shut down by KP

Although I do think some things about how they got so wealthy don't add up, e.g. the trust fund and the business, I highly doubt there's anything massively dodgy going on. I just don't think William would be stupid enough to allow it to be honest and the whole family would have been vetted when Kate married the future King.

The problem with the Middleton's is it's such a fine line between being "public interest" or not. On the one hand you could argue it's naff all to do with anyone how they made their money and OK it may have got Catherine to St Andrews, but it didn't force William to fall in love with her and marry her, he could have married anyone (and any of the artisto circles he ran in have some dodgy questions to answer about where THEY got their wealth)

On the other hand of course they do benefit from their position, invites to Ascot, Wimbledon etc and are the parents of the future Queen...although personally I'm not sure that equates for the current obsession into their finances. IMO the only way this is justified as in the public interest would be if William was involved in their financial situation either by facilitating loans or giving them money, hooking them up with rich investors etc which I'm not convinced is whats happened

I'm interested to see how much more airtime this is given before it's shut down by KP
There were some stories that he gave a helping hand with the deposit for the Bucklebury house.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.