The Royal Family #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Charles doesn't want to live in Buckingham palace. I wonder what will happen to it. Any ideas?
I guess it would take the same route as other official residences of the HoS, that are not actually lived in full time: Apartments for the HoS and foreign dignitaries, offices, hosting state receptions and opening up more to the public.

Reactions: 2
I remember months ago where they were updating the counsellors of state an MP spoke about including the Princess of Wales as one even though she’s not consort yet, because if George came to the throne before he was 18 she would be his regent so it would make good practice for her.

Reactions: 5
Charles won’t abdicate. The Queen had bone cancer and she still didn’t abdicate. He’s waited his whole life and why would he? He’s achieved lots as POW and I for one think he’ll be a great King

Buckingham Palace after the refurbishments will be more of a state building and more of it opened to the public. It was discussed the morning of the Coronation by so called experts

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I thought Charles was going to use Buckingham Palace for work while still living at Clarence house.

Reactions: 4
Buckingham Palace is more of an office even the Queen thought more of Windsor as home from what I can gather.
---
I remember months ago where they were updating the counsellors of state an MP spoke about including the Princess of Wales as one even though she’s not consort yet, because if George came to the throne before he was 18 she would be his regent so it would make good practice for her.
She would not necessarily be regent as she is not in the line of succession. Unless they change the act maybe this is what this MP would like to happen but it doesn't mean it will.

Reactions: 1
There have been rumours that Charles has been the regent for last 5/6 years of the queen's rule. I think that the reason she didn't step aside was because of the jubilees. Face it - big business for the Royals and the UK - touisim etc.

However even with the best health care, I don't see Charles making his silver jubilee.

I think, if his health lasts, he might chuck it after 10yrs. By then the Boy George will be at University, Big Willy and Slim Kate will be early 50s and should have a good run of 25yrs as monarchs.

Plus they'll need to have some big royal event to keep people interested. The past 20yrs have seen loads of events - jubilees, weddings, Olympics, and now a coronation. They'll need something to stop them fading into the back ground.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Charles won’t abdicate. The Queen had bone cancer and she still didn’t abdicate. He’s waited his whole life and why would he? He’s achieved lots as POW and I for one think he’ll be a great King

Buckingham Palace after the refurbishments will be more of a state building and more of it opened to the public. It was discussed the morning of the Coronation by so called experts
Did the Queen have bone cancer has it been officially announced? She was an extremely healthy woman until the last few years of her reign not sure if Charles is as robust physically or mentally.
---
There have been rumours that Charles has been the regent for last 5/6 years of the queen's rule. I think that the reason she didn't step aside was because of the jubilees. Face it - big business for the Royals and the UK - touisim etc.

However even with the best health care, I don't see Charles making his silver jubilee.

I think, if his health lasts, he might chuck it after 10yrs. By then the Boy George will be at University, Big Willy and Slim Kate will be early 50s and should have a good run of 25yrs as monarchs.

Plus they'll need to have some big royal event to keep people interested. The past 20yrs have seen loads of events - jubilees, weddings, Olympics, and now a coronation. They'll need something to stop them fading into the back ground.
Ten years is my opinion as well.

Reactions: 1

Coming to say this too. He’s waited his whole life for this. He’s not going to abdicate- they take the role seriously. It’s a life of service.

Reactions: 13
I honestly don’t think Charles will abdicate … the most I could see happening is a formal Regency Situation.

I think to some degree The Queen was … lucky? (Not sure it’s the right word but will go with it) that the pandemic masked a lot of what was going on for a long time. There was no need for state events and visits even The Prime Minister audiences were curtailed. I think if it had been ‘normal’ times her problems would have been a lot more obvious a lot earlier.

Reactions: 10
Did the Queen have bone cancer has it been officially announced?
Gyles Brandreth (who is a close friend of the Royals) said she had bone marrow cancer and the Royal family haven’t disputed it. I would believe she had a form of cancer because of her appearance and bruising on her hand looked like it was from a needle for pain relief.

• Sad
I'd much rather have Charles than be stuck with William who avoids actually doing anything.
Me too. I like Charles, always have. I don't agree with all his ideas but he has an interesting mind and he works hard.
Edited to add I don't know where this idea comes from that Charles is in any way weak or unwell. He's still very active, walks miles, stomps up and down hills, rides, fishes, gardens etc and seems to have never been actually ill. Any health troubles he's had have been broken bones, back problems etc. He's never smoked, drinks little, eats well and has kept his weight in check. With both parents and one grandmother living to their late 90s I don't see him going any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Me too. I like Charles, always have. I don't agree with all his ideas but he has an interesting mind and he works hard.
I think Charles wishes to 'rule' , Liz was more 'reign'. Not a criticism, just an entirely different approach.

It'll be interesting to see, assuming Charles makes it to the 10 year point, how William will develop now he's in the Prince of Wales position.

I think it could be a case that to a certain extent the younger generation were in a holding pattern, saddled with being the understudies as protocol meant they weren't to take on causes or roles that would impede those higher up the pecking order. Or it could be that they rather enjoyed not having many expectations on them.
Whether William steps up with the move up the pecking order will be the telling point, for me. If he does step up, I'll give them the credit of having been held back by protocol. If not? That's not a great sign for once he gets the big hat.

It'll be interesting to see, assuming Charles makes it to the 10 year point, how William will develop now he's in the Prince of Wales position.

I think it could be a case that to a certain extent the younger generation were in a holding pattern, saddled with being the understudies as protocol meant they weren't to take on causes or roles that would impede those higher up the pecking order. Or it could be that they rather enjoyed not having many expectations on them.
Whether William steps up with the move up the pecking order will be the telling point, for me. If he does step up, I'll give them the credit of having been held back by protocol. If not? That's not a great sign for once he gets the big hat.
I don't see a problem with them having done less in the past as long as they step up now. They're going to be working until they die so why not take time to be at home while their kids were young. They're never going to be able to retire or be out of the public eye so they've kind of had their retirement years in their 30s. I think the kids are all in school now though and William has moved up to 1st in line so he in particular needs to do more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Harry is the Regent, it will be him. It’s discussed often when people talk about removing Harry from the line of succession
QE2 intervened to make Prince Philip regent over her sister. Couldn’t William as King intervene? I don’t think that parliament would take a great deal of persuading.

Harry wants nothing to do with the RF....sometimes.How could there be a half in, half out Regent? A job share with MM? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I was listening to bbc london radio during the coronation weekend. An author named Tom Quinn who wrote about growing up as royals.

He mentioned how they don't have to worry about getting good grades or going to work, simply because they are born into the privilege and they therefore don't have to try much at all, especially when it comes to education because...nepotism.

They can get a top education without needing to get 3 A* (for e.g) like us normies would need to, and even then there would be no guarantee of us getting into said institution unlike them.

It's really the same old for those with privilege. Imagine what someone else may have achieved with that education over any of the other younger royals who seemingly take that education for granted.

Even though there's part of me that is intrigued by the royal family and their history, it's the privilege that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially when they get the finer things including education.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.