The Royal Family #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t have much problem with Camilla but my opinion has gone down a bit with her not attending the reception last night, not going to the Mall yesterday and with her looking so bored today.
She didn't look bored, she looked very nervous and also terrified that the crowns were going to fall of her head. Charles looked terrified of that as well. I would also assume that there were specific reasons that she didn't attend the reception and walk about - she is known to have back problems?

Reactions: 22
We said the same she looked terrified, she seemed to brighten up though after the response they got on the balcony

Reactions: 8
Without wanting to give away any spoilers about The Windsors Coronation Special but I will never look at Edward in the same way again!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Random thought but if George is gay and wants to adopt to have children would that child be King without the blood line or would Charlotte become Queen? Or would he not be allowed to adopt but have to use a surrogate with him being the biological dad.

I wonder if those conversations have been had to preserve the line.

Guess the same applies if he is infertile for any reason.
Capacity to breed has no impact on right to rule, but would impact on succession.
George would be King, and on his passing it would slide to the next in line - Charlotte if still living, if not either her eldest child or Louis/his eldest child if she has no kids. If all three pass without issue, it slides on over to Harry, then Archie, etc.

I do feel like the speculation Camilla put her back out holds some weight with her appearance at the coronation. She looked in pain to me, and the moment she was crowned felt a bit terse. Very "so help me god, if you shove the crown down like you did on Charles..."

Reactions: 3
I don't mind King Charles and Camilla , but was anyone else watching it mainly to see the Prince and Princess of Wales and their gorgeous family . Charles does not look the picture of health either, it wouldn't surprise me if we doing another coronation in a couple years.

Reactions: 19
What tv coverage did you watch? I watched BBC and felt I missed all the guests arriviny, including the Royals.

Reactions: 6
I was disappointed by no tiaras, perhaps an unpopular opinion but i think it made catherine’s headpiece look a bit cheap and she stood out as no one else was allowed one. Plus if Charles had said no tiaras, I doubt he was pleased with what she ended up using

What tv coverage did you watch? I watched BBC and felt I missed all the guests arriviny, including the Royals.
Yes and that was the only bit I was bothered about! I'm going to have a look for it on iPlayer later.

I must say, I thought the floral headdresses were beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I love a tiara, but I felt the floral ones looked very modern and appropriate. And the children looked absolutely adorable yesterday. Charlotte would've looked like she was playing dress up in Claire's Accessories with a bling tiara. Their look was perfection.

Screenshot_20230507_072031_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230507_021143_Facebook.jpg

MVP though, was surely Penny "biceps" Mordaunt. Looking like an Olympic goddess with that sword, her arms must be killing her this morning.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I will say, regardless of any opinions I have on this coronation and the religious basis of the ceremony in general, I'm glad the UK have maintained the coronation. Being able to watch a ceremony that dates back more than a thousand years, and see how it gets modified to fit with the passage of time is very much still valuable to me.

Reactions: 20
Whatever anyone thinks, no other country can put on an event and attract over a billion viewers. Why stop all this and cease doing one thing we excel in.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
While I certainly would have loved the picture perfect Walses as King and Queen for the visual- I do think Charles is the better candidate if you want some solid results. He most definitely made the best of his time as POW. Wiliam still needs to come around - or at the very least his PR does. It’s the boon and bane of the monarchy that the succession is very clear. And it’s true- there are more older people than younger and this is only to be more significant. So appealing to the next gen isn’t exactly looking at the realities. But obviously is they want to stay on for another 100+years they need to find ways to get the ones who will be in charge when the time comes. That’s why I think the Walses should seriously work the UK. Be visible and everywhere and show up to all glamorous royal occasions outside the UK (for the pictures).

I was surprised about how attractive I thought Wiliam looked in his mantel. The whole looking regal really really suited him (and her). But then a good uniform/costume does that.

The BBC definitely cheated us out if the other guests.
After having a look at CP Victoria- all I can say is- Kate (and Carol) need to step away from the cobalt/electric blue. It’s hard to pull off and Victoria clearly showed how it should look.
Sadly the Yorks missed the mark yet again. Zara and Louise pleasantly surprised me. And Sophie’s gown is incredibly, so sad we probably won’t see much of it. I was surprised to see so many royal women looking rather bland (Letizia, Maxima, Charlene, Rania, Chantal, Mathilde …. I mean when Zara, Louise outdo you fashion wise…..) Mette Marit with her signature blandness was actually one of the better dresses this time. Only Victoria and Mary looked really beautiful in my books. And the royal ladies with foreign robes: Princess Kilo, Queen Masenate, Queen Suthida, Queen Jetsun. They definitely outdid the European set.
Maybe because the deeper jewel tones seemed to fit the occasion better? The rest really looked like mother of the bride country wedding.

Best dressed winner is quite clearly Penny. I might not align with her in politics but she did a great job with the declaration of the King and again this time. She definitely can be the picture of grace, dignity and elegance. Pretty sure the pictures of her and the sword will go viral.

Maybe an unpopular opinion- but quite honestly- the no tiara decision was a mistake. Saw someone suggesting Kate’s headpiece would make a beautiful tiara for a POW and I have to agree. Wiliam is filthy rich. Why not commission a tiara instead of ten blue coats that look exactly the same. And looking at the meaning behind the Coronation rituals- it’s not really the occasion to be modern. I think they held back from really embracing what this is about because it doesn’t translate great into modern times. Which brought it down a bit in my opinion. I have no problem with going all ancient for an occasion or two. They shouldn’t act as if they are ashamed of it because the rest thinks it’s a bit silly.

Reactions: 13
Yes and that was the only bit I was bothered about! I'm going to have a look for it on iPlayer later.

I must say, I thought the floral headdresses were beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I love a tiara, but I felt the floral ones looked very modern and appropriate. And the children looked absolutely adorable yesterday. Charlotte would've looked like she was playing dress up in Claire's Accessories with a bling tiara. Their look was perfection.

View attachment 2153823
View attachment 2153824

MVP though, was surely Penny "biceps" Mordaunt. Looking like an Olympic goddess with that sword, her arms must be killing her this morning.
Penny M looked amazing.
---
Kate is absolutely stunning. She was the stand out for me, and little Chalotte!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I noticed this morning that the main pic for this thread is still the Queen. Should it now be changed to the King?

Reactions: 2
Was thinking yesterday about the curse of the spare

Queen’s kids
Charles - monarch
Anne - no nonsense and gets on with it
Andrew - well…..

Charles’s kids
William - heir
Harry - obviously not the same as Andrew but still out of the family inner circle

William’s kids
George - heir
Charlotte - will be very similar to Anne

Therefore to break the pattern Louis must be protected at all costs. I know things will change as he gets older but he is just such a sweetheart

I think while base personality plays a role, both Andrew and Harry show the effects of spoiling the "spare."
I can see why there is a tendency, it would be hard not to feel like you should try to avoid any ill feeling between the kids by trying to give the second in line more to make up for them not getting the crown. Unfortunately that seems to create an idea that they're owed more, and leads to them reflecting on not being the heir even more, feeling like victims and stewing in resentment.

Given the law change, Charlotte is now second both in birth and in line for the throne amongst the children, rather than Louis. One hopes their parents have learned to raise the kids with as little resentment as possible, all three deserve to actually be happy with their lot in life.

Reactions: 10
I was disappointed by no tiaras, perhaps an unpopular opinion but i think it made catherine’s headpiece look a bit cheap and she stood out as no one else was allowed one. Plus if Charles had said no tiaras, I doubt he was pleased with what she ended up using
I was definitely grumpy at the lack of bling … Charles wanted sustainability … what is more sustainable than trotting off down to the vault and wearing something sparkly you’ve had for 100 years (and in the case of anything from Queen Mary was probably ‘gifted’ in the first place) rather than have someone craft a new mock-tiara that you’re going to have to pay for?
(still not over it 😀 )

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Random thought but if George is gay and wants to adopt to have children would that child be King without the blood line or would Charlotte become Queen? Or would he not be allowed to adopt but have to use a surrogate with him being the biological dad.

I wonder if those conversations have been had to preserve the line.

Guess the same applies if he is infertile for any reason.
Been thinking along the same lines as you. This is how monarchy will end I reckon. Because its very basis will be at odds with modern life by then. You can’t maintain primogeniture AND have an adopted/surrogate-born heir, but nor can you discount such children or class them as ‘less valid’ in this day and age and going forward. It’s all going to crumble and this is, IMO, how.

Been thinking along the same lines as you. This is how monarchy will end I reckon. Because its very basis will be at odds with modern life by then. You can’t maintain primogeniture AND have an adopted/surrogate-born heir, but nor can you discount such children or class them as ‘less valid’ in this day and age and going forward. It’s all going to crumble and this is, IMO, how.
It will be a huge issue for the monarchy if it ever happens or when it happens I suppose. A surrogate might be allowable if they change the rules because it's the same DNA but adopted won't be. If it's a conversation that needs to be had it will just highlight how bizarre the idea of God sending someone to rule over the country actually is. It's fine as long as people don't have to think about it but if they do have to think about it and consider the rights of adopted v surrogate v natural born children then you're on very shaky ground.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.